• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As the global death toll from an alarming new coronavirus surged this week, promoters of the pro-Trump QAnon conspiracy theory were urging their fans to ward off the illness by purchasing and drinking dangerous bleach.

The substance—dubbed "Miracle Mineral Solution" or "MMS"—has long been promoted by fringe groups as a combination miracle cure and vaccine for everything from autism to cancer and HIV/AIDS.

The Food and Drug Administration has repeatedly warned consumers not to drink MMS, last year calling it effectively a "dangerous bleach" that could cause "severe vomiting" and "acute liver failure." But those warnings haven't stopped QAnon devotees—who believe in a world where Donald Trump is at war with shadowy deep-state "cabal"—from promoting a lethal substance as a salve for a health crisis that speaks to the darkest recesses of fringe thought.
While conspiracy theorists may disagree about what cabal is behind coronavirus, many of them agree on the "cure": MMS. The substance, which becomes bleaching agent chlorine dioxide when combined with a citric acid like lime juice, has perhaps most prominently been promoted by a website linked to Jim Humble, a self-proclaimed archbishop who says he found MMS while on a gold-mining expedition in South America.

Through a Mexico-based church, the "Genesis II Church of Health and Healing," MMS is offered for sale for $45. The church's website claims it will eliminate coronavirus, among other ailments.

"ALL KITS HAVE THE 20-20-20 ESSENTIALS THAT CAN KILL THE CORONAVIRUS, OR ANY OTHER VIRUS JUST SPRAY YOUR MOUTH TWICE A DAY," the church's website reads.
In August, the FDA said it was "not aware of any scientific evidence" that MMS has medical properties. In 2009, a woman who took MMS to avoid contracting malaria died almost immediately after swallowing it for the first time.

"Ingesting these products is the same as drinking bleach," FDA Acting Commissioner Ned Sharpless said in an August 2019 statement.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is these are the same types that think flouride in the drinking water and vaccines are dangerous.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
QAnon is such a stupid conspiracy from top to bottom. That whole movement makes flat earthers look like distinguished scholars.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
If you're stupid enough to drink bleach and subscribe to Qanon theories, you're probably only hastening the inevitable.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Makes me wonder if it was done in the hope that some poor people in China would try it.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't QAnon created as a joke? So now they're telling the people that actually believed it to drink bleach? Seems fucked up, but if they're dumb enough to do it, nothing is gonna stop em

Deleted member 12379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nash told ABC News in 2016 that his late wife died in his arms, slumped over with her eyes rolled back in her head, just hours after ingesting MMS.
"The vision of her face, just inches away from mine, and those eyes suddenly de-focusing on mine," said Nash. "That'll haunt me for the rest of my life."

i dunno what to say. tragic but 100% preventable...

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Oh dear. Those tweets lead to quite the nonsense, including Jacob Wohl accomplice Jack Burkman hawking fake pics of Schiff and Ed Buck.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Life is the crummiest book I ever read. There isn't a hook. Just a lot of cheap shots, pictures to shock. Characters an amateur would never dream up.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Maybe the only thing I agree with QAnon people on is that they should drink bleach.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
tenor.gif

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I won't cheer on people literally talking about killing themselves because they are THAT deluded. These people need help.

It does not surprise me at all that the same people that believe that Trump is a master tactician and that impeachment is all his idea, think that Bleach will cure diseases. Deluded is deluded.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
I know I'm falling for a fake account in the replies but all the same I have never hated coming across a term more than vaccine informed.

And I am doubly sorry for raising its status by highlighting it but fucking fuck.

9rRTigT.png