• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I felt this was worth mentioning given Nintendo's recent Mario Kart mobile announcement.

My friend and I tried to figure out what was monetized, but couldn't quite tell. It doesn't look like there's a stamina bar, so maybe it's cosmetics? If anyone has any insight here, it'd be appreciated.

janmobilek7ka8.png

Source: https://www.appannie.com/indexes/al...s&country=WW&date=2018-01-01&category=overall

And here's a random video I found (I don't think that's the game audio?).

And some random screencaps for those who can't watch the video:

chinakart163klt.png

chinakart2gojyb.png

chinakart3hvj26.png

chinakart5enjbg.png

And the menus:

dicetrain

Oct 25, 2017
I love the utter shamelessness of using angled spinning rainbow question mark cubes to give items.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
Nintendo could definitely make a killing if the MK mobile game retains the traditional gameplay. Remix more old stages with 3DS quality visuals. Put in all the usual microstransaction tricks for racing games and profit. I think they stand to make enough money from such an experience that the potential damage to the appeal of the series on Switch (I think anybody should be able to see the gulf in visual quality between mobile and 8D anyway) is more than worth it.

I'm invested now, so I'd really like this to happen. They're off to a good start by confirming it'll have a traditional free to play pricing structure.

Deleted member 4021

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo could definitely make a killing if the MK mobile game retains the traditional gameplay. Remix more old stages with 3DS quality visuals. Put in all the usual microstransaction tricks for racing games and profit. I think they stand to make enough money from such an experience that the potential damage to the appeal of the series on Switch (I think anybody should be able to see the gulf in visual quality between mobile and 8D anyway) is more than worth it.

I'm invested now, so I'd really like this to happen. They're off to a good start by confirming it'll have a traditional free to play pricing structure.
Mario Kart Tour will probably have much more limited online multiplayer than MK8.

I could see them bringing back the Streetpass feature from the 3DS game though, where you race a simulation of other people through 4 tracks.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo will QQ if they can't manage to top this shameless clone.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm using tilt controls! Still not sure Nintendo will go for something quite as direct as this but we''ll see.

And shouldn't the blooper generic cartoon squid ink disappear when you hit a boost pad?

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I felt this was worth mentioning given Nintendo's recent Mario Kart mobile announcement.

My friend and I tried to figure out what was monetized, but couldn't quite tell. It doesn't look like there's a stamina bar, so maybe it's cosmetics? If anyone has any insight here, it'd be appreciated.

Just looking at the screens, my guess is that it's mainly customisation (note the 'basic' avatar, then there's someone with a different car, and there's wings on the back of one)

That said, the screens remind me of something I saw when I was younger (lol!) - it's QQ Speed PC (MMO Racing). Direct link to PC game is here http://speed.qq.com/main.shtml. Maybe customisation in that one is similar to the Android one as it looks like a scaled down port of the game. Game's been around since... 2010 and is also known as 'GKART'. It was, and still is, a silly Mario Kart clone but was F2P and enjoyed by lots of folks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GKART

Nvidia in China had helped out on the game as it's in 3D on PC, e.g. PhysX etc.
http://www.geforce.cn/games-applications/pc-games/qqspeed

I've used screens from there since those are assuredly PC screens:
gjDJ4ub.jpg

26s3zt7.jpg

x7vLsSK.jpg

Addendum: Searching for the game online, I found this from Ubisoft Chengdu from 2010 which was presented at GDC - many of the titles there still make money today and Tencent/Netease have fulfilled the prophecy of China being the future leader in the online game industry. Still, idk where Shanda went in comparison to the other two.

http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vaul...DivideWesternDevelopmentAndChineseCulture.ppt

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like garbage....MK Mobile shouldnt have any issues dominating that space if Nintendo doesnt mess it up.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I remember trying to play Crash Nitro Kart back when the App Store launched and it was not a good time. I can't see a racing game working on mobile but it should be interesting to see how Nintendo approaches it.

Jojo Leir

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As blatant a rip off a this is, I hope the next Mario Kart has some kind of character customization.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They still exist, but have been in decline. That said, Tencent just invested $474 million into them, so presumably all their future games will be published through Tencent: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...est-474-million-in-shanda-games-idUSKBN1FT0IP

I should have checked the archives since this was just last week. :|

The article does not seem that they've bought a controlling stake in the company but I suspect that in the contract that there's a buyout clause if required in future.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Unfortunate that half of the posts in here are just to call the game a rip off.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Well, at least they aren't competing in the visuals department.

There are plenty on uninspired kart racers out there, but the rainbow item boxes are kinda suspect.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
In the early 2000s. It was called Crash Nitro Kart. It wasn't as good. Then we had Crash Tag Team Racing. It was even worse. Best part of that game was the platforming hub world actually...
I.. had no idea. It's just weird that they just completely ignore the franchise, especially in today's Mario Kart's success.

Anyway, I think it's derailing and I'll just stop right here.

Gemeanie

Oct 27, 2017
SEA
Ironically it was Nintendo who's been leaving money on the table.

Corret me if I'm wrong, but I think Tencent started the 6RMB pack promo that pretty much becomes a more popular paybait than VIP system these days? Adding the ease to topup using WeChat Pay into temptation it's no surprise how Tencent can rely almost purely on China market and still make more money than everyone else before counting Riot's and Supercell's revenue.

Also many Chinese players these days seem to have little problem spending thousands before deciding they hate the game and sell off the accounts even if they had to register with real names to even play the games, based on what I observed from the hottest otome game in China recently