• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
6eQhMaf.png

Ll1j0oN.png

d1chbQ2.png

0wp26rL.png

rJCbk1i.png

YVmIbF1.png

67jTobl.png

b8me1Cw.png

ehHPxqL.png

rNTBLal.png

5X3a9Tg.png

X8LtXbi.png

pKLNf5v.png

xU6bDvg.png

o5LBXxc.png

RjNhtMX.png

84ZVTCC.png

0DNU6M4.png
4GVdMCN.png
KGSTLP9.png

Qsz866K.png
DH5cBVz.png
gjoZqB2.png

e3z5Tdm.png
Hika4bn.png
BctuvA4.png

fRpLkSf.png
GxEpSAH.png
YaKjNe1.png

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Quality OP! Having a lot of fun with this myself. I really hope it finds its audience once it goes F2P though as playing vs certified Quakegods gets stale fast.

Uriah

Oct 25, 2017
Why do I get the feeling Keel is going to be incredibly broken with that Grenade ability.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
Always forced team model to Keel and enemy models to Sarge. Mostly because of the sounds.
Hope they get his sounds right. Haven't played in awhile but Keel has my attn.

Charsace

Chicken Chaser
Nov 22, 2017
DL right now. Haven't playeed a fast paced FPS in years. But since I got this free with my Ryzen I might as well give it a shot.

X68k

Oct 25, 2017
i've had so many new games on my plate lately that i've kind of neglected this for the past couple months - will be rectifying that this weekend.

any news on the supposed new advanced gib tech they've been working on?

Ghost_Messiah

Oct 27, 2017
Stunning OT and also amazing we finally have a dedicated thread for this. As a massive fan of Quake III: Arena I'm hyped to give this a shot.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Any new players trying to play? It is exceedingly tough when you join (as a lvl2) and are matched against lvl 50+ players.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I haven't played in a while, but I came back to try the new patch. I've been waiting over five minutes for a game. It was never this bad.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Any new players trying to play? It is exceedingly tough when you join (as a lvl2) and are matched against lvl 50+ players.

Basically the same problem Quake has had for over a decade now with trying to get new players. Even with all the stuff they have done to alleviate it (champions, stack limits, round based duels etc) the skill floor is just much higher than any other MP shooter. Even with the Quake name behind it I can't see this breaking that barrier.

Rumble

Oct 25, 2017
Hamilton, Ontario
I just started playing this again in the last couple of days. It plays much better than it did during the beta, I think I might pick up the Champions Pack.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm glad I reinstalled this. I forgot how fun it is. 50 hours and I'm still ass at duels, so I don't even know if I'll do all my placement matches.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yay! Looking forward to trying out the winter update later today. Anyone here from EU btw (who isn't a Quake god) up for some duels?

I'm a beginner when it comes to all of the mechanics but moderately decent when it comes to aiming.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The matchmaking is bad as ever. I feel sorry for anybody trying to get into this game. I just had a level 1 on my team go 4-30.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The matchmaking is bad as ever. I feel sorry for anybody trying to get into this game. I just had a level 1 on my team go 4-30.
Just needs more players. Community is a bit too small for full fledged SBMM atm. I expect them to push it a lot more once its at an acceptable level in terms of gameplay, performance, balance, etc.

Last edited:

Alyssa

Oct 27, 2017
Belgium
love the game! Too bad the last update broke my game, it crashes after 2 seconds after starting :(
It seems a lot of people are affecting by this bug, but after a week, the developers still haven't released a hotfix ...

Blu

Oct 25, 2017
People seems to just give up and leave the match for me. The games aren't even blow outs, they just drop the match and the game never fills them in. I once played a 1v4 and never got replacements for the rest of the game.

I also see a lot of people just accusing people of hacking. Don't know if it's an actual big problem or people letting our their grievances. It's going to be hard to retain players until this goes F2P.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Placement matches are going great so far. 0-5. Maybe one day I won't be terrible.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I was 0-9, but my final game I won. So much for my streak, lol. I got the lowest rank possible.

I'm just shit at duels. I do fine in other game modes, I've gotten 2.0, 4.0, and etc K/Ds before. However, when I play duels, it's like I forget how to play or the other person is just amazing at Quake.

But yeah, no more duels for me. I don't enjoy them at all. I don't think I do well under the pressure.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to get into this game but yeah, if you haven't played Quake since the beginning you're gonna get destroyed until it goes f2p... If anybody even plays it.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

because i'm a glutton for punishment i bought the champions pack a few months ago having 0 experience with quake or arena shooters.

there's actually quite a bit of newer players with most matches i'm in. i still suck but can eke my way into the top 3 most deathmatches at this point. it can be a hilariously uneven experience but i like that my victories feel well earned

Nov 21, 2017
I am old enough to remember the glory days of Quake multiplayer. The thing is, though, that I was young, I was competitive and had quicker reflexes. I'd like to try this out for nostalgia's sake ( and I guess the gameplay still works well ), but I'm intimidated by the skill-ceiling. I don't know if this game can be enjoyed casually.

Blu

Oct 25, 2017
I am old enough to remember the glory days of Quake multiplayer. The thing is, though, that I was young, I was competitive and had quicker reflexes. I'd like to try this out for nostalgia's sake ( and I guess the gameplay still works well ), but I'm intimidated by the skill-ceiling. I don't know if this game can be enjoyed casually.
You can just give it a go when the game goes F2P and see if you still have that Quake competitiveness in you.

I had never played Quake before and was able to get into it pretty easily. If you still have decent aim I think it will still be fun to jump in play some TDM.

CTF is also coming as well if you're interested in a more relax mode.

Blu

Oct 25, 2017

Greetings Champions,
We'll be deploying an update on 25.01.2018 that includes: Phase 1 of our new hit detection system, many quality of life items and Champion balance changes. We estimate the update process will take place from 8AM EST - 3PM EST (1PM GMT to 8PM GMT).

New Hit Detection Integrated
Phase 1: ( NOW LIVE) Weapon hits are now detected client-side on our new capsule based hit skeletons, validated server-side. More details in our upcoming Dev Diary video

Phase 2: ( TBD) Move Champion Ability hit detection to the new capsule skeletons

Features
- Premium Weapon Shaders added
- Private Messaging added
- Voice chat voice activation added
- 3rd person spawn animations added
- Champion Difficulty Visual Indicators added

Champions
- Fixed issue for Keel's ability which caused FPS drops
- Fixed issue when sometimes DOOM Slayer was missing punch animations

Champion Balance

Anarki
- Starting Health 100 to 75
- Max Armor 75 to 50

Injection
- Cooldown 40 to 60
- Duration 8 to 10
- Health Bonus 1 to 3

Movement
- Max Speed 560 to 600
- Air Control Acceleration Reduced
- Enabled Crouch Ledge Grabbing
- Removed Forward Acceleration
- Removed Bunny Hop Acceleration

B.J. Blazkowicz

- Max Armor 75 to 100

Dual Wield
- Increased Weapon Rate of Fire
- Cooldown 48 to 45
- Duration 5 to 7

Clutch

Mining Drill
- Damage 5 to 7
- Drill Radius 0.12 to 0.1

DOOM Slayer

Berserk
- Targeting Range 1.4 to 1.5

Galena

Unholy Totem
- Cooldown 30 to 25
- Damage 75 to 100

Movement
- Base Speed 300 to 310

Keel

Grenade Swarm
- Self-Knockback 1.0 to 1.5

Nyx

Movement
- AirAcceleration 1.2 to 1
- Bunny Hop Added

Ranger

Dire Orb
- Explosion radius 3 to 3.5m
- Damage 100, with falloff

Scalebearer

Bull Rush
- Increased damage from Bull Rush & Heavy Weight
- 25 dmg > 300 ups (Bull Rush Only)
- 50 dmg > 400 ups
- 100 dmg > 500 ups
- 150 dmg > 600 ups

Slash

Movement
- Air Accelerate 1.1 to 1
- Forward Acceleration 0.7 to 0.5

Sorlag

Acid Spit
- Acid Spit Damage 25 to 30
- Spit Knockback 0 to 5
- Acid Pool Damage over Time 7 to 10

Visor

Piercing Sight
- Cooldown 43 to 40
- Duration 5 to 7

Maps
- Winter holiday décor removed
- Fixed issue on Blood Covenant where player could get stuck on jump pads using high speed movements
- Fixed more issues for falling out of the map after using Ranger's Dire Orb on multiple maps
- Improved issues with incorrect respawns on Blood Covenant in TDM
- Fixed issue when time zone was incorrect for sent messages

UI
- Fixed mouse sensitivity only being able to be adjusted by increments of 0.25
- Fixed misaligned PiPs for Clutch vanities

Tech
- Fixed an issue that caused some players to crash to desktop when launching the game
- Fixed issue where closing client using the exit button resulted in an error
- Fixed issue when Spectator experienced a jittery camera if the player they were spectating was running very high fps.
- Fixed issue when the 'Play Now' button could be locked when a player left a match
- Fixed Premium shaders that appeared low res in main menu
- Further traffic optimizations
- Fixed spike on victory podium screen
- Fixed issue where player could experience extra inputs moving champion with high FPS (phantom jumping)

Ranked
- Fixed issue when players who completed placement games had rating in all scoreboards
- Nameplates now have SR rating on them
- League icons are now synchronized with what's shown on post-match sequence
- Fixed issue where player could receive negative rating for a win in Duel
- Leaving from ranked warm-up should now work correctly

Weapons
- Fixed issue when weapons with shader applied did not have quad vfx
- Fixed issue with broken sfx when player first spawns into training

Leaderboards
- Fixed issue in Leaderboards where the Game Type: Duel was not capitalized
- Fixed issue when Leaderboards button did not work if player was in the first page
- Fixed issue while changing league there was no correct change sequence
- Increased the amount of leaderboard pages supported
- Removed blank last page from leaderboards

Localization
- Fixed issue where Brazilian-Portuguese was not localized on Steam and displayed only in English
- Various Localization fixes made

Misc.
- Removed snowfall vfx in Main Menu
- Fixed issue when the one player who left the duel would see empty post-match podium
- Fixed issue when Play button may become grayed out and block consecutive matches for several minutes after completing a match
- Fixed issue on Steam: While being in the queue after linking an account, the user could still click the Create Account button
- Fixed issue where Confirmation pop-up icon went out of bounds
- Fixed issue for the number of Tokens collected was not displayed in-game or on the Training Completion screen
- Fixed issue for Blacklisted user receiving inconsistent messages when attempting to Follow, Invite, or Private Message
- Fixed issue where some weapon names under Weapon Statistics were inconsistent
- Fixed issue where incorrect champion was shown on the profile screen. Post-match statistics are now assigned to the correct champion
- Spectator in Free Camera can now use teleporters

Data Centers
- Added: INDIA, Mumbai
- Added: USA, Ohio; Removed: USA, Iowa
- More Coming Soon...

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, those are serious nerfs to Anarki. Didn't expect a double hit to health and armour.

Needed buff to Blackowicz. Increased dual wield duration especially welcome.

Uriah

Oct 25, 2017
I won my first Duel!

I need to be better at controlling my stack. I notice I have better aim than my opponents but they're much better at tracking timings and such.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
It's a good start, but they need to start adding more casual modes in general and have them be the default playlist to get new players in. A good start would be freeze tag, clan arena and capture strike (from threewave ctf). These modes kept active servers for years in quake 3 due to them being good for people to just jump in without worrying about if they are in practice or not and just having fun. Once they get those players acclimated they can eventually transition to more traditional modes (if they want to). Raw DM and TDM just don't appeal to normal people anymore sadly.

Blu

Oct 25, 2017
If they keep the game at this speed it might do some real damage to the remaining player base.

The one-second weapon spawn doesn't feel right either. Don't know why they messed with it.

Uriah

Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, the new movement speeds are fucking awful. What were they thinking?

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I've seen arguments on both sides with some saying the things they removed were tools to help new players get to speed faster so vets/pros should like this change since it'l raise the skill barrier and others saying they slowed it down to appeal more to new people.. I don't know what the reason was but the game just feels wrong after playing it before the change. Slash is completely ruined.

Blu

Oct 25, 2017
zoot's opinion/rant about the current movement.

justnvc on Slash.

I'm not a Quake veteran nor do I play Slash but thought this would be interesting to share.

In the Quake discord they've mentioned this is not final and plan to adjust.

In other news I've actually been using the tri bolt a lot more. It's still rather awkward but I can totally get some frags with it now.

Last edited:

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I'm kind of warming up to it I guess, but I still miss the old acceleration because it felt very fast and responsive. Slash and other squishy characters especially benefited from it. The problem with the tradeoff being the removal of speed caps is the maps really don't allow for you to build up that high for it to matter more than pure acceleration for shorter distance movement.