• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not violating anything. The GPL release was one version, but obviously id can decide on whatever license they want for their own engine. Even back when they released the GPL version, they noted that people interested in using it commercially contact them for licensing it. There's a reason Source isn't available.
So technically Carmack could sue NightDive or Bethesda over this?
No but the FSF can and will if this is not resolved soon.
Of course not.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's not violating anything. The GPL release was one version, but obviously id can decide on whatever license they want for their own engine. Even back when they released the GPL version, they noted that people interested in using it commercially contact them for licensing it. There's a reason Source isn't available.

Of course not.

Interesting but yeah right didn't think of that.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Software like this can have multiple different licenses. Not to mention, the most obvious, idsoftware are the owners of the actual license.
I can't see this being an issue in any shape or form.

Additionally Carmack likely can't do much as this is likely the property of idsoftware, and not Carmack as an individual.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fairly sure id's lawyers have probably already checked this sort of stuff. I know we like to think we're all legal experts here but I am pretty much certain a legal team will have spotted this.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's the same with their Doom port?.

This doesn't use the released src anyway. It's using Kex Engine.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017

Of course not.
Oh yeah, that's a good point. It's fairly likey there are lots of different versions of the same engine, and as the developer, ID can give each of them different licenses.

Deleted member 1849

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As Id are the owners of the source code, they can dual license it (commercial + gpl) without issue.

Now, if they were using anything the community has contributed to the gpl'ed code then you would have a point, but as it stands I don't personally see anything wrong.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, that's a good point. It's fairly likey there are lots of different versions of the same engine, and as the developer, ID can give each of them different licenses.
Technically, it's not different versions as much as it is different licenses. It's id's code, and they can do what they want with it, including licensing it in multiple different ways.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be cool if they released the source code like the C&C remaster did, but a source repository licensing can be a very complex subject to make definitive statements on (aside from the fact that iD obviously owns the code).

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Quake I and Quake II engine source code was released as GPL back in 1999 by Carmack, so any derivative software must have its source code available under the same license.

Nope, this is all wrong, making open source doesn't mean you lose copyright. ID still has rights and can use and license it under whatever license they choose, as long as they don't use improvements made under GPL.

Besides ID isn't going to sue themselfes for not releasing source code under GPL, if they don't want to release it.

StuKen

Oct 27, 2017
I'd imagine the publicly released source code and the gpl licensing is for external third parties. I seriously doubt Id would restrict what they could do with the code they own. There really isnt anything to stop them having a private repo totally in sync with the public code but with no gpl restrictions to stop any kind of licensing headaces.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
GPL doesn't apply if it's a completely new piece of work. It's running under a new engine, and probably not considered a derivative work.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
so, tl;dr

3a0.gif

Nov 28, 2017
Sweden
I wonder if libretro is really in position for coming forward with such an accusation
The only accusation libretro made was that they're not releasing the source, and them finding that disappointing. They made no claim that id are using contributions made under GPL or are violating the license. That's OP's interpretation.

I'd imagine the publicly released source code and the gpl licensing is for external third parties. I seriously doubt Id would restrict what they could do with the code they own. There really isnt anything to stop them having a private repo totally in sync with the public code but with no gpl restrictions to stop any kind of licensing headaces.
Id own the original source code and can do whatever they want with it under whatever license. But they don't own code made by external contributors and committed to the public repo. Those contributions are GPL licensed and even id can't use them without adhering to the license. They definitely have a private repo, but it can't be in sync with the public one (unless they have a license in place that grants them the rights to all contributions, I haven't checked out the details of the licensing on the repo).

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
Id own the original source code and can do whatever they want with it under whatever license. But they don't own code made by external contributors and committed to the public repo. Those contributions are GPL licensed and even id can't use them without adhering to the license. They definitely have a private repo, but it can't be in sync with the public one (unless they have a license in place that grants them the rights to all contributions, I haven't checked out the details of the licensing on the repo).

They never accepted contributions to any of repos (which were made more than decade after original zips with source codes were shared).