• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://kotaku.com/detroit-developer-quantic-dream-sues-french-media-over-1825453518

Quantic Dream has sued the French newspaper Le Monde and the website Mediapart for reports on the studio's working conditions, Kotaku has learned. As far as we can tell, this is the first incident of a video game studio taking legal action against the press for negative reporting.

In an e-mail, Canard PC's Gaudé told me that the sued publications will now have to demonstrate that they handled the story with fairness and "good faith." They will have to show the judge that they reached out to all parties involved, offered those parties' perspectives, and used "the appropriate caution" while reporting this story.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Following previous accusations of terrible working conditions and toxic atmosphere, it seems Quantic Dream is trying to sue French newspaper Le Monde (side note : the biggest newspaper in the entire country) and Mediapart. Jason Schreier is reporting on Kotaku :
https://kotaku.com/detroit-developer-quantic-dream-sues-french-media-over-1825453518

Last week, Quantic Dream founder and CEO David Cage flew to New York City to show demos of his dramatic new PS4 game, Detroit: Become Human, to press. In his home city of Paris, meanwhile, a different type of drama was unfolding: French journalists stood in court, defending themselves against Cage's legal charges.

Quantic Dream has sued the French newspaper Le Monde and the website Mediapart for reports on the studio's working conditions, Kotaku has learned. As far as we can tell, this is the first incident of a video game studio taking legal action against the press for negative reporting. Cage and co-CEO Guillaume de Fondaumière had threatened litigation in January when the reports hit, but some observers assumed that was posturing. It wasn't, as both Cage and the media outlets have confirmed to Kotaku.

We learned about this unusual lawsuit in an unusual fashion. I happened to be in Paris last week, doing press for the upcoming French version of my first book, Blood, Sweat, and Pixels. At one point, I was scheduled to meet with Le Monde journalist William Audureau, whose name I remembered from an explosive article in January reporting allegations of sexist jokes, extensive crunch, and racist comments at Quantic Dream. (Quantic Dream denied the reports.) I was looking forward to talking to him, but on Wednesday, my publisher told me that he was going to have to reschedule. "He's caught up in court," they said.

More in the link.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Detroit went gold today and a lot of sites are putting out their impressions on the game as well. That's some timing.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone know off-hand the differences between the legal expectations involved in these courts and something like the American "actual malice" standard?

Alderade

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand QD reaction on this.
If you have 3 media outlets who spoke about a bad working environnement in you company : you fix it !

QD will loose in court but they want to brag about this because they think it's damaging their reputation.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
In an e-mail, Canard PC's Gaudé told me that the sued publications will now have to demonstrate that they handled the story with fairness and "good faith." They will have to show the judge that they reached out to all parties involved, offered those parties' perspectives, and used "the appropriate caution" while reporting this story.

Well this will be interesting!

Oct 26, 2017
If it's true then that's really messed up and good on media to shed light on that, but if BS it's good on Quantic Dream to fight against that.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what? Why not?

You'd basically be saying the reporters that were there were intentionally lying. That they didn't see all the nasty shit that was on the whiteboards there. That the pics they took were altered.

Why would journalists, especially ones from actual reputable news places, do that? What would they gain out of that? If they were lying they'd be throwing their careers as reporters into the trash for good.

Xer0

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

People are going to dunk on this no matter what but this seems...fair enough? If they're wrong, they'll get more exposed, but, if they're right, they deserve to be vindicated.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Three of the most reputed & knowledgeable newspaper in the country, all reporting toxic working conditions in a studio whose leader's only defense is asking you to judge him based on his work, said work that is filled with racial/sexist stereotypes.

You'd basically be saying the reporters that were there were intentionally lying. That they didn't see all the nasty shit that was on the whiteboards there. That the pics they took were altered.

Why would journalists, especially ones from actual reputable news places, do that? What would they gain out of that? If they were lying they'd be throwing their careers as reporters into the trash for good.
I don't doubt newspapers, but it's possible to doubt source. I mean I don't know either way, but I'm not going to blindly believe everything. It sounds like you are this confident simply because it fits your narrative.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't doubt newspapers, but it's possible to doubt source. I mean I don't know either way, but I'm not going to blindly believe everything. It sounds like you are this confident simply because it fits your narrative.

Or maybe because I'm not doubting the work of several competent reporters ? You can still believe in fake news though, not going to stop you.

BillyMays

Banned
Mar 15, 2018
Three of the most reputed & knowledgeable newspaper in the country, all reporting toxic working conditions in a studio whose leader's only defense is asking you to judge him based on his work, said work that is filled with racial/sexist stereotypes.

Yeah journalist/outlets have never been caught lying before

Xer0

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really liking the angle Kotaku's taking here saying QD are suing over "negative reporting."

Clearly a pretty big difference between something like this and Digital Homicide suing Jim Sterling, or something like that.

MrTired

Oct 28, 2017
tenor.gif

Why?

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
but why would three separate reputable newspapers do that?

Maybe QD is claiming that the paper didn't act in good faith and give all parties a chance to respond. Alternatively maybe this has something to do with whistle blowers in France having to make good faith efforts to work with their employers before leaking this kind of stuff. Either way if QD believes they are being painted in a false light they seem within their rights to do this.

Or maybe because I'm not doubting the work of several competent reporters ? You can still believe in fake news though, not going to stop you.

I doubt the newspaper is lying but there might be procedures that they are expected to follow before reporting things like this however who knows I am not a french lawyer. Seems like this is more then just a tantrum by a company.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Using you employees as shields on social medias, suing journalists from respected outlets, threatening a Parisian councilwoman of legal actions... way to go, David & Guillaume.

mejin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This will be good.

Harlequin

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't remember enough about the reporting on this to really say how credible the allegations were or weren't (though the kinds of outlets that reported on them certainly do lend them some credibility) but if they're true, then going to court over them sure is a brave/arrogant/stupid move on QD's part. I mean, if they're true then that could potentially be proven in court. Now they could at least still point to the reporting being false or whatever. Won't be able to do that if a court finds it to be true.

CloverQ

Feb 12, 2018
I wonder how much of that lawsuit money they could've used to better the working conditions in their studio

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Detroit went gold today and a lot of sites are putting out their impressions on the game as well. That's some timing.

This is old news, Schreier is just back from France and felt like making another piece about it ?

Quantic Dreams said it was diffamation and they were going to get the justice involved.

There's nothing to talk about until then. If they do feel like it's diffamation I understand why they'd do that. Justice will settle this I guess.

The press surrounding Detroit is gonna be hilarious if QD loses.

That's going to take at least a year so it's not like it matters.

enMTW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can't just throw FAKE NEWS comment in like Trump does. I never said that it's fake news. It's likely to be true. I'm just baffled by your confidence.

Literally every single thing we know about David Cage points to him being a brutal misogynist and a racist. There is no credible argument otherwise.

FromAshesRise

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It is interesting... if you hate freedom of speech and a free press!