• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't just throw FAKE NEWS comment in like Trump does. I never said that it's fake news. It's likely to be true. I'm just baffled by your confidence.

It's probably hard to believe if you're only used to the US press, but Le Monde and Mediapart as as trustworthy and accurate as they can possibly be. So yeah, if they both reported on those toxic conditions, with the ton of details they gave in their respective articles, I'll believe them without any doubts.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So their stance is that all the journalists lied and the people who they used as sources lied. Good luck, Cage. You're going to need it.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
In an e-mail, Canard PC's Gaudé told me that the sued publications will now have to demonstrate that they handled the story with fairness and "good faith." They will have to show the judge that they reached out to all parties involved, offered those parties' perspectives, and used "the appropriate caution" while reporting this story.

Well this will be interesting!

Indeed. Let's see if they did, or if they were not thorough enough.

Literally every single thing we know about David Cage points to him being a brutal misogynist and a racist. There is no credible argument otherwise.

It is interesting... if you hate freedom of speech and a free press!

Yeah, post like this makes me think the perss could be biased

There are rules for a reason, and the press will have to prove they acted on good faith

Last edited:

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
So their stance is that all the journalists lied and the people who they used as sources lied. Good luck, Cage. You're going to need it.
BUT they're not suing the third publication who reported these same things along with Le Monde and Mediapart. Maybe because Canard PC is a videogames publication and they can already be intimidated just out of fear of having to cough up money for their defence.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting play, hope it works out. Demo out tomorrow and full game next month. Let's get itt!

36 Chambers

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the worst possible PR move, unless you are trying to appeal to Gators or something.

let's remind everyone right before our game comes out! brilliant PR that
But surely there's a lot of people who will buy the game regardless of the claims. And honestly, as unfortunate as that is, I think they vastly outnumber the people who would not buy the game because of the claims.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit went gold today and a lot of sites are putting out their impressions on the game as well. That's some timing.
Cage let it slip during a 'buy our game' event in NYC. That's literally how Kotaku got confirmation about the lawsuit:

Kotaku senior reporter Cecilia D'Anastasio had a preview appointment for Detroit in New York City on Thursday. Cage would be there. When she asked him what happened after the Le Monde article came out, Sony's PR handler shut questions down, but not before Cage let one piece of information slip. "We're suing their journalists," he said.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
As far as I can tell, they are only really suing them for unfair/biased reporting without taking into account their side it seems? Not that all of what they reported is necessarily wrong.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's probably hard to believe if you're only used to the US press, but Le Monde and Mediapart as as trustworthy and accurate as they can possibly be. So yeah, if they both reported on those toxic conditions, with the ton of details they gave in their respective articles, I'll believe them without any doubts.
Look, I love freedom of speech, and I don't think newspapers should be sued. So I'm not even disagreeing with you that much. I'm just confused by your confidence. As I said, I'm not questioning newspapers, but it's possible to question the source. Plus, in any scenario - do newspapers in France really NEVER get anything wrong?

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

The journalists used the exact same sources.

So it's obvious that if they said the sources were being malicious, the journalists reported on stuff that wasn't correct. He's not saying the journalists lied for the sake of it. The court will investigate and settle this.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look, I love freedom of speech, and I don't think newspapers should be sued. So I'm not even disagreeing with you that much. I'm just confused by your confidence. As I said, I'm not questioning newspapers, but it's possible to question the source. Plus, in any scenario - do newspapers in France really NEVER get anything wrong?

I'm talking about those two specifically. Plus, it's obviously not single-sourced, they both conducted separate investigations (and so did Canard PC, the third actor that isn't sued in this case). In that case, David Cage's argument would be that every journalist from three different media outlets and every sources involved is wrong, and only him is right.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
QD got confidence they are right. They wouldn't have sued otherwise. Let's see how it turns out but for people who are already anti qd saying 'Disgusting' and such well... They have complete right on trying to protect their name which was affected by the bad press they received. If it turns out qd is in the wrong then they'll dig a bigger hole for themselves but if they are right then it would turn out to be a wise move.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I can tell, they are only really suing them for unfair/biased reporting without taking into account their side it seems? Not that all of what they reported is necessarily wrong.

All three outlets put quotes from David Cage & Guillaume de F., who they met at Quantic Dream before putting the stories out. They even interviewed current and former employees defending the company.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm talking about those two specifically. Plus, it's obviously not single-sourced, they both conducted separate investigations (and so did Canard PC, the third actor that isn't sued in this case). In that case, David Cage's argument would be that every journalist from three different media outlets and every sources involved is wrong, and only him is right.
So let me be more specific. These three newspapers NEVER got anything wrong? Where does you blind confidence (bordering on blind faith) is coming from.

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
When 3 reputable publications, based on separate work, decide to publish the same story...

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So let me be more specific. These three newspapers NEVER got anything wrong? Where does you blind confidence (bordering on blind faith) is coming from.

okay how many times will I have to repeat the same thing over and over, just read my previous posts now I'm not going to bother longer with you if you keep on with that

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

1) The article in question is precisely the one they are suing about

2) I don't see what that other link proves "brutal misogyny" ??? They didn't model the genitalia, they had nipples there, big whoop. In the game you were not supposed to see this, it was framed elegantly. Plus that's more on the 3D modelers than anything else.

DrWong

Oct 29, 2017
BUT they're not suing the third publication who reported these same things along with Le Monde and Mediapart. Maybe because Canard PC is a videogames publication and they can already be intimidated just out of fear of having to cough up money for their defence.

Ah ah lol not them, amongst the worldwide videogame press if there's one that can resist pressure from pub it's them.

Guys, it's a "contre-feux", a public action to try to move the discussion from their shit to "maybe the press did something wrong too...". It is PR, it doesn't cost much because the real battle is not there.

Quakeguy

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
Remember that all of this also CAN BE planned/set up by 2-3 former employees who just want to bring QD down for various reasons. All they needed to do was to make some stuff up and send it to the media. I am not saying it is, but we outsiders really don't know anything and should not judge yet.

Let's see what happens.

enMTW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
1) The article in question is precisely the one they are suing about

2) I don't see what that other link proves "brutal misogyny" ??? They didn't model the genitalia, they had nipples there, big whoop. In the game you were not supposed to see this, it was framed elegantly. Plus that's more on the 3D modelers than anything else.

1. Yes. The reporting remains credible, regardless of Cage's hissy fit.

2. David Cage inserted a meaningless 'shower scene' into a game. But even that is not enough for him; he had a nude model constructed to go along with it. As opposed to, you know, not rendering stuff that is not actively used by the game.

Stuff like that points to Cage being a creep, which people have been saying for years.

Germanzepp

Mar 7, 2018
QD is inocent until prove guilty. If this article is a step in the right direction to unveil the truth so be it.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a great PR move. Sue while the games not out and by the time they lose or dismiss, the game has been released. While it's pending, you give "credence" to those who would believe QD.

Oct 25, 2017
Guys it's all okay.

He knows Ellen Page. Judge him by his work.

OT: I don't the lawsuit is a good idea unless they have an airtight case

Nov 13, 2017
I don't understand QD reaction on this.
If you have 3 media outlets who spoke about a bad working environnement in you company : you fix it !

Defamation is pretty serious if these allegations turns out to be false and false sources can happen. Quantic Dream believes the allegations are false, so they are within their right to sue them.,

Mistouze

Oct 26, 2017
Ah ah lol not them, amongst the worldwide videogame press if there's one that can resist pressure from pub it's them.
They just had a crowfunding campaign to help them weather a distribution crisis for their magazine.

Guys, it's a "contre-feux", a public action to try to move the discussion from their shit to "maybe the press did something wrong too...". It is PR, it doesn't cost much because the real battle is not there.
And seeing some of the comments here, it's working.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The whole situation is just so sad and I really don't think I could even contemplate buying Detroit at the moment. Just foul.

I choose to believe the three (very reputable) publications that all reported on the allegations. If Quantic Dream want to come out and show how their working conditions are actually good/show that they've put time and effort into improving them then fine. But no, they're just suing the journalists. I can't just bury my head in the sand with shit like this. It's so sad.