• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I am at a disadvantage since I can't read french do you have a source saying they didn't request more time.
It's not mentionned in any of the articles or any communication by QC.
If QC wanted to right their image they would asked for a response in their name to be published.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I don't know if it's true or not about the toxic work conditions,but they did well on suing them. If the journalists spoke the truth and have evidence,which they should,they will win the court and Quantic will have a negative publicity. If the journalists spread misinformation though,they will think twice about writing clickbait articles or unconfirmed/shady news stories

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Suing for defamation is not a recourse to having false things published. People are allowed to publish claims that end up being false if they did their due diligence, and Le Monde and Mediapart definitely did their due diligence.

If claims that a person is homophobic and racist are published at face value with no solid evidence, pretty sure that entitles a defamation lawsuit.

DyCy

Oct 25, 2017
It's really crazy how eager people are to believe what the journalists are claiming just because they don't like David Cage and his games.

I hope everyone screaming "boycot! Cancel the game!" also refuse to buy Rockstar or Naughty Dog games, then at least it would be consistent.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Just as a reminder of context, 2 out of 3 official complaints have been dismissed right off the bat by a jury made of employers and employees (Prud'Hommes).

This move (which indeed has a strong Streisand Effect spiraling possibly happening) might indicate they are confident they are going to win the 3rd and last official complaint.
From the last time we had this thread:

About those court cases... The Prud'hommes is a special kind of tribunal for work-related legal disputes, mostly they deal with breaches of contracts. If they find that the contracts were ended lawfully and the employees properly compensated, I'm not sure they've got much power regarding the other allegations made about QD's culture. Also, Le Monde and the other sources aren't exactly low-quality peddlers of hearsays. This story is more complicated than it sounds.

enMTW

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really crazy how eager people are to believe what the journalists are claiming just because they don't like David Cage and his games.

I hope everyone screaming "boycot! Cancel the game!" also refuse to buy Rockstar or Naughty Dog games, then at least it would be consistent.

Oh good grief. Personal preference doesn't come into it.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Serious newspapers print inaccurate or misleading stories everyday of the week. We no longer live in a world where everything is taken at face value and journalists are beyond reproach. If someone has a grievance they should be able to take it further, and allow an independent party to judge.

Ho ok. Fake news then, thanks for enlightening me.

Btw, journalism is about being this independent party. But yeah maybe audureau has something against qd, I mean, he had a mario avatar on Twitter at one point.

/s Obviously

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

AlexCampy89

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
"You weren't there" fucking LMAO.

yeah bruh one of the most renowned newspaper in the entire world does a through investigation that takes several months, but yes, totally "clickbaiters and liars". The absurd amount of arrogance and ignorance is honestly freaking ridiculous.

Even the most renowned newspaper is not immune to SENSATIONALISM and straight out lying.
Oh, two out of three accusations towards QD have been dismissed by a neutral Jury.

It is incredible how people tend to believe "victims" even in total absence of reliable proof and with an investigation going on and that, as for now, has found NOTHING against QD.

Please, learn to not judge by sympathy, but by facts.
I am not even a fan of David Cage and I would have bought Detroit at a high discount price regardless of this story.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i wonder who wins

a world renowned first class newspaper with immense history doing a through investigation

or a dude that thinks a proper response to accusations of homophobia is " i can't possibly be homophobic, i worked with Ellen Page!!!!!!!!!" despite the fact the she wasn't even out of the closet at the time the game was developed.
Even the most renowned newspaper is not immune to SENSATIONALISM and straight out lying.
Oh, two out of three accusations towards QD have been dismissed by a neutral Jury.

It is incredible how people tend to believe "victims" even in total absence of reliable proof and with an investigation going on and that, as for now, has found NOTHING against QD.

I am not even a fan of David Cage and I would have bought Detroit at a high discount price regardless of this story.
You should learn to read because it doesn't seem you know how shit actually works.
About those court cases... The Prud'hommes is a special kind of tribunal for work-related legal disputes, mostly they deal with breaches of contracts. If they find that the contracts were ended lawfully and the employees properly compensated, I'm not sure they've got much power regarding the other allegations made about QD's culture. Also, Le Monde and the other sources aren't exactly low-quality peddlers of hearsays. This story is more complicated than it sounds.
The only fucking thing they have dismissed was that there were no breaches of contract. Literally that and nothing else.

Stoopkid

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really getting the outrage on this one.

If they lose its puts more pressure on QD and if they win they vindicate their name.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Correct me if im wrong but the charges against qd were already dropped a month ago. They dont have to prove anything anymore.
The onus is on the publications.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
They have the right to do it so it's nothing wrong here, that's why we have laws.
ps: telling not to buy the game just because of that articles is so stupid, QD isn't only Cage, but also a lot of other people

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017

You don't know on what basis they were dismissed though, do you?

Prud'hommes, a Labour Court, mostly takes position on breach of labour contracts (see post #256). It is most of the time for employees vs. employers conflicts. The only known court case here is an employee asking to re-qualify their departure into a leave due to the impossibility of accomplish their work due to working conditions.

Even if the former employee didn't "win", that doesn't, in any mean, make QD clear of charges.

The fact that QD was so vague about their "wins" against former employees should make you raise an eyebrow. Maybe you should take with a grain of salt the communication from QD on the same level you're doing with major independent outlets.

oxymoron

Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if im wrong but the charges against qd were already dropped a month ago. They dont have to prove anything anymore.
The onus is on the publications.
Onus is a legal term. Publications very specifically do not have the onus to prove the truth of what they publish.

I'm not really getting the outrage on this one.

If they lose its puts more pressure on QD and if they win they vindicate their name.

I don't think the legal system should be used to try to silence good faith negative stories.

AlexCampy89

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Lol, "consistent" on ResetEra? /s

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did they ? Prove it now.
https://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/medias/le-monde-condamne-par-la-justice-espagnole_1495008.html

Where Le Monde was condemned to 300.000euros of damages for taking a shortcut in accusing the Real of doping by association.

PS: not saying that QD didn't or did do anything here.

What I'm saying is that between the results from the French Labour Court and this suing which shows some (possibly stupid) confidence, Mayyybee nobody should jump to conclusions one way or the other.

Edit: not just Sports.
https://www.arretsurimages.net/articles/malkovich-le-monde-condamne-en-appel-pour-diffamation

They were found guilty of Libel/Slander vs John Malkovitch.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Publications very specifically do not have the onus to prove the truth of what they publish.
No they simply have to prove that theyre reporting in good faith, and that they made sufficient attempts to get the full picture before publishing an article.
I haven't read that the charges were dropped last month, do you have a source for this ?
Gimme a bit. Pretty sure it was posted here too but there wasnt much discussion over it.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
They've had their share of scandals and criticism but it's bound to happen when your newspaper is 75 years-old

As a sport fan in easy to find some cases where Le Monde has accused without proof

https://blogs.dlapiper.com/mediaand...-pay-damages-to-real-madrid-and-fc-barcelona/

And after that they have linked more sportsman's to doping without proof of it

https://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/medias/le-monde-condamne-par-la-justice-espagnole_1495008.html

Where Le Monde was condemned to 300.000euros of damages for taking a shortcut in accusing the Real of doping by association.

PS: not saying that QD didn't or did do anythong here.

What I'm saying is that between the results from the French Labour Court and this suing which sjows some (possibly stupid) confidence, Mayyybee nobody should jump to conclusions one way or the other.

Oct 27, 2017
In an e-mail, Canard PC's Gaudé told me that the sued publications will now have to demonstrate that they handled the story with fairness and "good faith." They will have to show the judge that they reached out to all parties involved, offered those parties' perspectives, and used "the appropriate caution" while reporting this story.

Well this will be interesting!

Apparently the publications are reputable, but this does not seem like an unreasonable stance. Presumably QD feel like they weren't sufficiently consulted before the stories ran.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about we don't accuse devs of being sexual harassers or predators without evidence?

I know many on this forum hate Cage and QD but if anyone is wrong about something don't double down just because you want it to be true.
modeling someone's naked body without their consent is definitely sexual harassment, and there, huh, plenty of evidence of it.

AlexCampy89

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
You don't know on what basis they were dismissed though, do you?

Prud'hommes, a Labour Court, mostly takes position on breach of labour contracts (see post #256). It is most of the time for employees vs. employers conflicts. The only known court case here is an employee asking to re-qualify their departure into a leave due to the impossibility of accomplish their work due to working conditions.

Even if the former employee didn't "win", that doesn't, in any mean, make QD clear of charges.

The fact that QD was so vague about their "wins" against former employees should make you raise an eyebrow. Maybe you should take with a grain of salt the communication from QD on the same level you're doing with major independent outlets.

Again, you seem to miss the most basic point of my posts:

I am not a judge or an authority of any kind, so I'll let the qualified and competent people doing their job.

If the french legal system says that is the right way to settle things in a neutral/non-factious way/context, then it is fine with me and it should be fine with everybody else in their right mind.
Because this is how Justice works.

If you really believe that judges and courts are so easy to buy and corrupt, why don't you try to buy or corrupt one?

Let competent people (police, lawyers of BOTH parties, judges, workers unions, etc) do their job and reaching their factual, evidence based conclusion.

Until then, your personal hate, based on doubtful sources and even more doubtful "proofs", is condemning a man just by sympathy, which is straight out disgusting.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Obviously I don't know how those conversations went, or what the QD response was, but all three publications decided to publish following. They will have their chance to respond in court, which I'm sure they will.

I'm not in France, nor familiar with French laws, but I do know that when a (negative) article was about to be published about my company (a large one at that), that we were given less than 24 hours notice.
I'm also surprised by this part.
Usually if you're given more than 2 days to prepare for an article being written on you, you're one of the lucky ones.
Heck some politicians (or even CEOs) learn about a bad article on them when journalists are asking them questions about it.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This has Streissand effect written all over it; what I'm not sure is whether this is intentional on QD's part. Considering the timing with the release of the game, it would point out to yes, which in turn would mean they expect to boost sales by appealing to people who don't care about sexism and workplace abuse.

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Why would you do this before launch? So weird.

The question could also be: Why waiting more than three months after the stories hit... To be sure the verdict doesn't come out before the launch of the game?

Apparently the publications are reputable, but this does not seem like an unreasonable stance. Presumably QD feel like they weren't sufficiently consulted before the stories ran.

Le Monde, Mediapart and Canard PC went to Quantic Dream HQ to speak with the management about it. They even sent the questions they were going to ask.

Apex88

Jan 15, 2018
Ho ok. Fake news then, thanks for enlightening me.

Btw, journalism is about being this independent party. But yeah maybe audureau has something against qd, I mean, he had a mario avatar on Twitter at one point.

/s Obviously
Is this what it's come to, shouting "Fake News" and belittling anyone who wants to wait and see what judgements are made......given two previous cases have already been ruled in QD's favour.

No one is saying there haven't been issues. There are in every workplace to greater or lesser degrees. The question is how extensive they where, how QD management dealt with them, and if the reporting was fair and balanced.

The very reason we have press complaint commissions is so they can rule on disputed cases. I wouldn't take any sides take as gospel with so many conflicting reports.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How about we don't accuse devs of being sexual harassers or predators without evidence?

I know many on this forum hate Cage and QD but if anyone is wrong about something don't double down just because you want it to be true.

The great thing here is that there's evidence, that you can read in three different articles.

.....given two previous cases have already been ruled in QD's favour.

No they haven't, don't talk about what you don't understand.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's good that the management at QD has enough elements to build a case against these outlets, further indicating that they weren't complicit in any sort of toxic behavior.