• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
From an interview with Dualshockers

David Cage says that Quantic Dream is "really pleased with the result" of their work on these PC ports for Epic Games Store, and revealed that they are "very pleased with [Heavy Rain's] current figures, which align with our expectations

He believes Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Become Human will perform well in the long term on the Epic Games Store as well because Quantic Dream's titles are "long-sellers, so we know that new players will keep discovering our titles in the coming
We always had a great relationship with Sony PlayStation. They have always been very supportive of my work and we have always been very loyal to them in return. So we had a very open talk about all this, and they allowed us to release our catalog of titles on PC," David Cage confirmed

Source

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Nice, I'm sure they'll give the greenlight for Death Stranding to make its way over to PC too after release. Happy to see Sony embrace the platform.

I've only bought Heavy Rain on PC as I've been meaning to replay it but I'll hop on Detroit once it releases since I haven't played it yet. Helps that these PC ports are good.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Nice, I'm sure they'll give the greenlight for Death Stranding to make its way over to PC too after release. Happy to see Sony embrace the platform.
Gamescom about to be potentially interesting. I'm thinking we might see Death Stranding on PC sooner than we think. The more money they get off those software sales, goodwill gesture that'll be seen by the PC community of allowing the game on PC along with whatever other Sony exclusives might come to the platform could really help them heading into nextgen. They're looking at Xbox and the almost universal applause they're getting for getting their games out there for people.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Gamescom about to be potentially interesting. I'm thinking we might see Death Stranding on PC sooner than we think. The more money they get off those software sales, goodwill gesture that'll be seen by the PC community of allowing the game on PC along with whatever other Sony exclusives might come to the platform could really help them heading into nextgen. They're looking at Xbox and the almost universal applause they're getting for getting their games out there for people.

No they aren't. Sony's repeatedly made it very clear that they view selling consoles through their exclusives as a top priority. Their restructuring earlier this year was specifically to address that.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it is more select games that they feel will be fine moving over to PC. I don't think it is an initiative overall (at least not right now).

With Quantic, for example, their partnership ended. So, at that point, it was fine. It will be stuff like that.

Oct 25, 2017
No they aren't. Sony's repeatedly made it very clear that they view selling consoles through their exclusives as a top priority. Their restructuring earlier this year was specifically to address that.
Yeah, i think so too. These cases are outlier and shouldn't be looked as Sony's plan for the future, although i do think Death Stranding is possible because of it's initial statement about PC.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
We always had a great relationship with Sony PlayStation. They have always been very supportive of my work and we have always been very loyal to them in return. So we had a very open talk about all this, and they allowed us to release our catalog of titles on PC," David Cage confirmed

I hope this squashes the silly notion on Era where Epic Games paid to help fund "Sony exclusives" come to PC.

But you know it won't.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Test the waters, see the profits, things will change. If Death Stranding gets announced for PC within a year of release then that's pretty hard proof that that's likely not the case and that they'll likely be a bit more adventurous in other systems markets. The money isn't in the sale of the box itself, it's in the software sales. Why would I limit myself to one box when I can sell that software wherever I put it? One or two exclusive games isn't enough to drive more than a handful of people who can afford it to run out and buy a box to play them on if they own another system that they use for gaming.

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I hope this squashes the silly notion on Era where Epic Games paid to help fund "Sony exclusives" come to PC.

But you know it won't.

Yea I definitely don't think that's happening. I don't think Sony has much of a PC strategy at all. This is just Quantic going independent, needing an influx of cash, and the combination of a relatively quick PC ports plus EGS moneybag fit the bill.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
Test the waters, see the profits, things will change. If Death Stranding gets announced for PC within a year of release then that's pretty hard proof that that's likely not the case and that they'll likely be a bit more adventurous in other systems markets. The money isn't in the sale of the box itself, it's in the software sales. Why would I limit myself to one box when I can sell that software wherever I put it? One or two exclusive games isn't enough to drive more than a handful of people who can afford it to run out and buy a box to play them on if they own another system that they use for gaming.
If they come to the conclusion that they rather chase profit on software over being a system seller, i expect a drastic change in their game design towards the more GaaS centered audience, which will be pretty disappointing to me.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I thought we already knew that Sony needed to sign off on it. Or maybe we just assumed it. Anyway, good precedent. Hopefully we'll see more and more games make it to pc, including death stranding. Maybe bloodborne too.

-IZHAN-

Jul 7, 2019
yes
now just announce Detroit Become Human PC Release date
i am waiting for it
what a game

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They are doing what they are doing for years. Some selected titles (Helldivers, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, etc.) like Detroit or Beyond will come to PC. In the end, most of the Sony 1st party titles will be PlayStation exclusive.
"Why would you limit..... " because they wanna push their own platform. Their PlayStation platform. And it works, as you can see with 100+ million PS4 console sold.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

Have you seen how much money Sony makes through having people subscribed to Plus? A big part that is driven through their exclusives. If they allow those to go elsewhere then that's less reason for people to be subscribed to Plus and thus less money for them in the long run. That's why the money is in the sell of the box, because of what the box is linked to. Their entire ecosystem.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I ended up getting the three games on PS4 (recently) due to the fact its not on the store of my preference.

But if it does appear on the store of my preference, I wouldnt mind double dipping.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
of course sony had to greenlight it, it's not like QD can publish sony games on another platform without sony's permission.
all three games belong to sony, only the name "heavy rain" belongs to QD.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All single player games should release on PC eventually. Seriously, we are not the competition.
I can understand why for MP though so they can lock you in their ecosystem.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

I think it's more about these select studios being independent studios, and Sony allowing them to port the games to PC should they want to - because why sully a good relationship?

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I played a bit of Heavy Rain on PC not long after release but the performance tanked during that first QTE sequence where you play as the detective dude, was annoying so I stopped playing. Have there been any performance improvements with patches since?

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So you're saying there's a chance?

If Sony doesn't want to remaster it...

lol no, i'm saying Dark Souls was probably the most brazen make-a-sequel-with-a-new-name game in history. If Sony had been strategically invested in Demon's Souls, I think they would've fought that move more aggressively.

It's as if in 2007, Epic made a multiplatform coop 3rd person cover shooter with 80s action movies aesthetics and called it "Dogs of War".

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, I'm sure they'll give the greenlight for Death Stranding to make its way over to PC too after release.
images

Sony exclusives might come to the platform could really help them heading into nextgen. They're looking at Xbox and the almost universal applause they're getting for getting their games out there for people.
Sony is about as likely to put their games on PC as Nintendo is, and the closest case of this will be through PlayStation Now a long time after they've done significant business for PlayStation hardware sales. The only cases we've seen so far of Sony games coming to PC is either from studios with historic ties to the PC platform, or because they were no longer making games for Sony anymore and they were obliged when asking Sony for permission. Also, none of the Sony games were from studios that deal in creating sequels... food for thought.

If David Cage can get permission for pc port from Sony, there's no way Kojima can't do the same.
Every single PlayStation-funded Quantic Dream IP has done as much as it ever will for the PlayStation brand. There is no sequel material in any of them and thus Sony has no issue giving Quantic Dream their blessing as far as publishing the game on PC goes. The situation with Death Stranding is about as dissimilar to that as it gets. Kojima is going to want the ability to make a sequel and it's an ongoing part of Sony's strategy to produce AAA exclusive games to push their hardware business.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
I wish someone would leak/investigate the criteria in which Sony agrees to a developer request to release a game on PC. Would they be okay with From asking for BB on PC for example?

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish someone would leak/investigate the criteria in which Sony agrees to a developer request to release a game on PC. Would they be okay with From asking for BB on PC for example?
It'll depend on who owns the IP. So, in the case of Bloodborne, AFAIK that's Sony, and subsequently there's not going to be a PC port unless From buys the rights off them. This would also apply to the games produced by studios Sony own (so, no Uncharted, Last of Us or God of War) On the other hand, I understand that Death Stranding is an IP that Kojima Productions own, and indeed the initial plan was for a PC version after a period of timed exclusivity. (As far as I know, this is the only example of such a deal for a large-scale game) Indeed, the PC port process started with Quantic Dream buying the rights to their games back from Sony, with the plan for a PC port.