• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
It'll depend on who owns the IP. So, in the case of Bloodborne, AFAIK that's Sony, and subsequently there's not going to be a PC port unless From buys the rights off them. This would also apply to the games produced by studios Sony own (so, no Uncharted, Last of Us or God of War) On the other hand, I understand that Death Stranding is an IP that Kojima Productions own, and indeed the initial plan was for a PC version after a period of timed exclusivity. (As far as I know, this is the only example of such a deal for a large-scale game) Indeed, the PC port process started with Quantic Dream buying the rights to their games back from Sony, with the plan for a PC port.
The Death Stranding IP is owned by Sony, and I don't believe QD purchased back the rights for BTS or Detroit. They talked to Sony, and they agreed. Why? This's what I wanna know.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Death Stranding IP is owned by Sony, and I don't believe QD purchased back the rights for BTS or Detroit. They talked to Sony, and they agreed. Why? This's what I wanna know.

Sony finally realizing that console exclusivity is the only kind that matters, and that money is good.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Glad that their games are finding new fans. Now do Bloodborne!

Followed by Mario odyssey
It'll depend on who owns the IP. So, in the case of Bloodborne, AFAIK that's Sony, and subsequently there's not going to be a PC port unless From buys the rights off them. This would also apply to the games produced by studios Sony own (so, no Uncharted, Last of Us or God of War) On the other hand, I understand that Death Stranding is an IP that Kojima Productions own, and indeed the initial plan was for a PC version after a period of timed exclusivity. (As far as I know, this is the only example of such a deal for a large-scale game) Indeed, the PC port process started with Quantic Dream buying the rights to their games back from Sony, with the plan for a PC port.

You understood wrong, the plan for a PS4/PC game was prior to the finalization of Death Stranding and Sony's involvement. Once the latter happened the game became a PlayStation only title.

And it's quite likely that Sony will buy KojiPro before they buy Insomaniac.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017
Followed by Mario odyssey

You understood wrong, the plan for a PS4/PC game was prior to the finalization of Death Stranding and Sony's involvement. Once the latter happened the game became a PlayStation only title.

And it's quite likely that Sony will buy KojiPro before they buy Insomaniac.

Sony never buy any JP studios
and i don't it will happen

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
What are you even talking about? Sony owns the Death Stranding IP. And they own the Quantic Dream IPs, too. Nobody was buying anything back.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No they aren't. Sony's repeatedly made it very clear that they view selling consoles through their exclusives as a top priority. Their restructuring earlier this year was specifically to address that.
They are doing what they are doing for years. Some selected titles (Helldivers, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, etc.) like Detroit or Beyond will come to PC. In the end, most of the Sony 1st party titles will be PlayStation exclusive.
"Why would you limit..... " because they wanna push their own platform. Their PlayStation platform. And it works, as you can see with 100+ million PS4 console sold.
images

Sony is about as likely to put their games on PC as Nintendo is, and the closest case of this will be through PlayStation Now a long time after they've done significant business for PlayStation hardware sales. The only cases we've seen so far of Sony games coming to PC is either from studios with historic ties to the PC platform, or because they were no longer making games for Sony anymore and they were obliged when asking Sony for permission. Also, none of the Sony games were from studios that deal in creating sequels... food for thought.

Every single PlayStation-funded Quantic Dream IP has done as much as it ever will for the PlayStation brand. There is no sequel material in any of them and thus Sony has no issue giving Quantic Dream their blessing as far as publishing the game on PC goes. The situation with Death Stranding is about as dissimilar to that as it gets. Kojima is going to want the ability to make a sequel and it's an ongoing part of Sony's strategy to produce AAA exclusive games to push their hardware business.
It makes sense but it also doesn't make sense. My belief is older titles like Bloodborne, would that really impact the Playstation brand if it were to come to the PC now?

What you guys should be more focused on is making games more available. Street Fighter 5 for example was supported by Sony and it came to the PC. Did that hurt your experience?

Sony will continue to do what's best fur them but Hideo Kojima made it very clear he'd like to support the PC. You guys should be supportive of that much more than what you think is best for selling Playstation hardware.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
It makes sense but it also doesn't make sense. My belief is older titles like Bloodborne, would that really impact the Playstation brand if it were to come to the PC now?

What you guys should be more focused on is making games more available. Street Fighter 5 for example was supported by Sony and it came to the PC. Did that hurt your experience?

Sony will continue to do what's best fur them but Hideo Kojima made it very clear he'd like to support the PC. You guys should be supportive of that much more than what you think is best for selling Playstation hardware.

Sony didn't paid 50 million+ to develop SF lol

I prefer to play on PC anyway, but the idea that a sale on PC is the same as on PS is untrue. They get 30% of everything in the PS Store, and plus subs. On PC they get a single sale, other games and mtx are profit to Valve/Epic/whatever.

DS will probably be on PC because it was Kojima original plan, not because they are supporting PC now.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I would not be surprised to see Sony launch a PC storefront in the next 5 to 10 years. It's inevitable.

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Huh? They're on pc? I'd be kind of interested in Detroit.

Edit: I don't see it on steam :9

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Woildn't they release their biggest games then (Spider-Man, GoW or Uncharted) instead of their mid range like Detroit and Journey?

Given how much Marvel is going to squeeze them on continuing Spider-Man I wouldn't be surprised at some point. I know I'll get piled on for saying this.

The bottom line is most console gamers don't want to be PC gamers so console exclusivity has value.

Full exclusivity is more fanboy fodder than anything. Economically, PC doesn't cannibalize console sales.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's obvious how much you enjoy bringing up its exclusivity at every opportunity despite knowing exactly how it devolves and derails threads like this, like it's even comparable to what any other situation a first-party PlayStation game going to PC has been. Especially knowing exactly how the last thread you made based on tenuous evidence about the topic ended as it always ends. The evidence to suggest what you keep bringing up is not strong and further watered down due to Sony's ongoing inconsistency when it comes to exclusivity labels. Death Stranding is a full fat first-party game as Spider-Man and Bloodborne are, and if it isn't I'd love to hear the evidence that shows how it isn't given exactly what we know about the IP and the process now vs. what we knew in 2015.

I would not be surprised to see Sony launch a PC storefront in the next 5 to 10 years. It's inevitable.
Sony has a streaming service which is a huge part of their future strategy, yet people forget about it conveniently or not. They are aiming for that service to be the primary method of playing their games on other platforms and it's been that way for years now. Their first-party games are largely successful enough to not need to sell them on other platforms despite people thinking it's some kind of necessary course of action. Once these games have done what they will for console sales, the next logical step is to make them available on their streaming service to bolster its library. If in 5-10 years, Sony's exclusive games find themselves not selling well enough then and only then might they find it an inevitability to do what you suggest, but they will be transferred to a streaming service to get people paying subscriptions before you will be able to get Steam Achievements in Sony's biggest first-party games.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Death Stranding is a full fat first-party game as Spider-Man and Bloodborne are, and if it isn't I'd love to hear the evidence that shows how it isn't given exactly what we know about the IP and the process now vs. what we knew in 2015.

There have been so many signs over the years that the game isn't the full first-party exclusive we all thought it was (except not really since the game was announced for PC at the start too) but the simple questioning of this sends some folks into overdrive which I just don't understand. If the game really is exclusive to the PS4 (and not simply a console exclusive), can you explain why recent trailers have foregone the use of the "Only on PlayStation" video clip at the end of trailers that other first-party games (including Spider-Man) have? Why the game's official box art doesn't contain the "Only on PlayStation" branding that's synonymous with first-party games? Why Kojima avoided the question of when it's coming to PC at the Tribeca Film Festival in April 2019 while Insomniac Games were able to proudly state on Twitter that Spider-Man won't be coming to any other platforms due to the game being published by Sony? Why Sony feel the need to scrub all references to the game's supposed first-party exclusivity everywhere as of late?

I mean at the end of the day, this is all just conjecture, but there are enough signs there to question the true nature of Sony's exclusivity clause with Kojima without the need for people to simply dismiss and handwave it all because that'd mean accepting the possibility that a game they like is going to another platform which makes them upset for some reason? I say this as someone who owns both a PS4 and PC, but the lengths some people go to stan their company of choice is really embarrassing to see.

I'm personally convinced the game is coming to PC but the mere sight of people questioning the game's exclusivity makes some of you so upset and peeved, like it ain't that deep honestly. If Sony came out and said the game ain't coming to PC then it'd be the end of this nonsense but they haven't and they haven't given us enough reason to believe it is solely exclusive to the PlayStation platform so the speculation will continue.

I'm super excited for Death Stranding and getting it day one on my PS4 but I'm sure Kojima would love to bring it to PC, especially because as he says, the game is about connection and being able to help one other in our individual journeys. Keeping it locked to a single platform goes against this. Kojima made it clear that he wanted to support the PC platform at Gamescom 2014 with the announcement of MGSV coming to Steam and this line of thinking continued when he made his partnership with Sony in Dec 2015.

We can agree to disagree on Death Stranding's exclusivity, but calling my original post bait in a thread about a developer traditionally associated with Sony bringing their games (which have traditionally been on Sony platforms) to PC for the first time ever with their approval makes no sense. I mean, if anything, this is the most appropriate thread to speculate about what other games from Sony could come to PC. You just hate to see it.

Last edited:

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
Does Sony profit from sales of the PC version? I hope they do since it's awesome for them to allow more people to play these games.

If they come to the conclusion that they rather chase profit on software over being a system seller, i expect a drastic change in their game design towards the more GaaS centered audience, which will be pretty disappointing to me.

It doesn't really work that way. They already chase profit through software. Opening up to the PC market wouldn't change that.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
This was always obvious, because we knew sony owned the IP. It clearly said that on EGS
Just console warriors trying to find reasons sony wouldn't do it.

The question is will Sony do it with other games. I'm not sure if Death Stranding is owned by Sony or not, but if it is that will be the second big aaa title they allow on pc, though the reoccurring theme is they're both second party. Now would they with a first party studio? I guess if you consider psnow, you're already going to see a shift in this direction I believe

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

Because Sony doesn't own Quantic Dream, so in the spirit of not jeopardizing a longstanding partnership - they gave QD a waiver.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I can only hope this is a sign of more to come from Sony.

PlayStation is their bread and butter, but there are millions of consumers on PC that they're not reaching that aren't interested in getting a console to play their games but would jump on the opportunity to play them natively on PC.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
Have you seen how much money Sony makes through having people subscribed to Plus? A big part that is driven through their exclusives. If they allow those to go elsewhere then that's less reason for people to be subscribed to Plus and thus less money for them in the long run. That's why the money is in the sell of the box, because of what the box is linked to. Their entire ecosystem.
Wait buy I thought most of the exclusives that Sony is known for are single player experiences and that's one of the big reasons for why people praise them so how does that tie into PS+, when one of the big things about PS+ is online multiplayer? I'm sure that some of their first party exclusives games do have online multiplayer but is that the main selling point of those games though?

Or are you saying that their exclusives drive people buy PS4s and the more people that do this the more people that will also potentially sign up to PS+? And if so what about those like myself that own a PS4, have some first party titles but have no intention of paying for PS+, how is Sony making PS+ money off of me? Or are the vast majority of PS4 users signed up to PS+ over 75% off all PS4 users?

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
In my understanding, there has to be a driving force behind the want to port it to PC for anything to be done. That's how Alan Wake originally got a PC port in 2010, Remedy was insistent regarding it and Microsoft gave way. I image that driving force was behind these quantic dreams games going to PC, and the lack of it is why Bloodborne isn't.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
That's a surprise to me, i thought a lot of people don't even know it's on PC, same for Journey.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
That's a surprise to me, i thought a lot of people don't even know it's on PC, same for Journey.

I feel like you only very rarely see people talking about EGS games (beyond controversies), but there are a small handful of devs who have gone on record saying they're pleased with sales. Satisfactory, a high profile automation game practically built for people to share ideas has made barely a blip on Era but apparently sold half a million copies. Journey and Heavy Rain, games which have been on many a port-begger's mind for over half a decade, barely show up in the PC Screenshots thread. Maybe we're all just old fogies and the primary people actually driving these EGS sales are a newer generation that communicates almost exclusively in compartmentalized spaces in services like Discord away from the prying eyes of the general internet. So, unless you actively seek it out, discussion of these games may just be flat out invisible. That's the only way I can make heads or tails of the complete non-presence of these games in online discussion, but developers satisfied with sales numbers.

Edit: I just checked Hades, and though discussion of it (A Supergiant Games title!) here has been slow, they have a healthy Discord presence so I really just think it's only in more traditional websites that these games are invisible. As to how you are supposed to discover that these games exist in the first place before joining the Discord community is anybody's guess though.

Last edited: