• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
The Coalition Avenir Québec government is planning to throw out a backlog of 18,000 applications from skilled workers who want to come to Quebec and make a host of other changes to the province's immigration laws, emphasizing French language skills and regional labour needs.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/coalition-avenir-quebec-immigration-bill-1.5009402

More fear mongering, but it makes me think of the old heartbreaking Gaf thread of the person who was migrating here from Venezuela. I tried to Google, but could not find it. I'm hoping he and his family made it here before this.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The federal government might not let te CAQ do it. They might get concessions on some french-language classes or some such, but beyond that I don't expect much.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I guess people voted them in because they wanted fewer immigrants, and that's what they're getting.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/mont...bec-than-rest-of-canada-study-finds-1.4577746

The study's conclusions about anti-Muslim sentiment in Quebec align with findings from several recent opinion polls. For example, a 2017 CROP study suggested 34 per cent of Quebecers agreed that Muslim immigrants should outright be banned, compared with 23 per cent in the rest of Canada.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
What do they expect? Europeans? Europe is more developed and stable than North America.

Also, the ultimate destination for a lot of people from Balkans and Eastern Europe is Slovenia, Austria and Germany and even if they decide to go to Canada, they'll choose Ontario.

Last edited:

Machado

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 26, 2017
I'm so sorry!

You were the first person I thought about when I read this stupidity.
We are in a labor shortage atm. It makes no practical sense
Man. To think I lost three years of my life overnight kept me up all night. Everything I worked hard for is gone.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I was one of these 18000

I'm at the brink of depression. I feel HORRIBLE.

Edit: there's a total of 18159 files in total. I can't help but feel like a freaking failure.

I would recommend looking at coming to BC. We have lowest unemployment rate in Canada, best weather, and best culture in my opinion.

EDIT - And sorry to hear about you being cut by a shitty conservative Quebec government.

Machado

Oct 26, 2017
I would recommend looking at coming to BC. We have lowest unemployment rate in Canada, best weather, and best culture in my opinion.

EDIT - And sorry to hear about you being cut by a shitty conservative Quebec government.
Thank you Tabris. I'll see if I'm eligible tonight

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Man. To think I lost three years of my life overnight kept me up all night. Everything I worked hard for is gone.

If you apply to another province does that mean starting at the back of the queue or whatever they have in place? I wonder if as a result of this some of the more open provinces will accept many of the applicants that Quebec has spurned.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
Incredibly smart to do this during a labour shortage. Conservatives never cease to amaze me.

Machado

Oct 26, 2017
If you apply to another province does that mean starting at the back of the queue or whatever they have in place? I wonder if as a result of this some of the more open provinces will accept many of the applicants that Quebec has spurned.
Each province has its own immigration programs as well as the federal government. By the time I applied, Quebec's SW program was the only one I qualified for. Hopefully things have changed.

Machado

Oct 26, 2017
If I was eligible, I'd have to start from scratch. No queues this time I think but not too many chances either. IT guys and gals have doors wide open, sadly that is not my case.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Until we figure out how to manage cost of living expect to see a rise in anti immigration sentiment.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2019/...anada-jobs_a_23664093/?utm_hp_ref=ca-business

Unemployment in Canada is generally low but how can you expect people to work in Vancouver / Toronto with Condo's averaging 650k and houses 1.2m.

An entry place to rent in Vancouver is ~$1500 a month and thats not for a nice place. How are you going to get people to work your jobs (Canada already has a low employement rate nation wide).

You get these companies lobbying for immigration that causes wage stagnation and upward pressure on rental and housing markets.

Last edited:

Machado

Oct 26, 2017

Deleted member 41638

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
"At one point, [Immigration Minister Simon Jolin-Barrette] described the province's new approach as the "Tinder of immigration," a reference to the popular dating app."
Not sure that is the best way to do immigration but okay.

He described Quebec's current system as first come, first served, instead of being based on the needs of the labour market.
This change I do agree with, always take the best person for the job.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Sigh, guess I gotta cross off Quebec, in addition to Ontario, for potential Canadian provinces for us to immigrate to.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
I bet if they doubled the wage most of those unfilled positions would go away. Its like here in Alberta when a shops complains they cant find a dual ticketed journeyman to work for 25 an hour

We'd have to see a better breakdown of the figures to get a better idea of the situation, but that wouldn't surprise me either.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I am really not sure why anyone wouldn't want to just live in BC. It really is the best province, I would love someone from another province to dispute this so I can debate this - especially when you've seen news articles like this on Quebec (and the rest of it's Xenophobia), Ford election in Ontario, the whole thing with Alberta, etc.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I was one of these 18000

I'm at the brink of depression. I feel HORRIBLE.

Edit: there's a total of 18159 files in total. I can't help but feel like a freaking failure.
The only people who are failures are the racist, bigoted piece of shit humans who support the people making these decisions and those people making these decisions. As unhelpful as this is to say, don't let them get you down! You have done nothing wrong.

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
I am really not sure why anyone wouldn't want to just live in BC. It really is the best province, I would love someone from another province to dispute this so I can debate this - especially when you've seen news articles like this on Quebec (and the rest of it's Xenophobia), Ford election in Ontario, the whole thing with Alberta, etc.
BC is expensive to live in, no?

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I mean Victoria and Lowermainland are pretty pricey, so is Kelowna. And our industries don't pay or have the opportunities like they have back east. I love Vancouver but I can see why many can't afford it or it doesn't have the job prospects that GTA/East offers

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
As someone born in Laval, I'm not surprised.

A lot of areas in Quebec, especially those with an older population, can be fiercely xenophobic and nationalistic.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton

Cost and opportunities, I guess. I lived in the Okanagan for ages and Victoria for another decade. It's expensive in the lower mainland and most of the island. Kelowna got pretty expensive, too. Some of the smaller cities are okay but the job opportunities just aren't there, and then you have other places like Prince George that is basically just a giant bowl of cancer and gangs.

Chilliwack is probably one of the better balanced cities in BC at the moment, but it's not cheap either.

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
Cost and opportunities, I guess. I lived in the Okanagan for ages and Victoria for another decade. It's expensive in the lower mainland and most of the island. Kelowna got pretty expensive, too. Some of the smaller cities are okay but the job opportunities just aren't there, and then you have other places like Prince George that is basically just a giant bowl of cancer and gangs.

Chilliwack is probably one of the better balanced cities in BC at the moment, but it's not cheap either.

See this doesn't make sense to me. An old perception?

Here's how the unemployment percentages break down by Province as of Jan 2019:
  • Newfoundland and Labrador: 11.4.
  • Prince Edward Island: 9.9.
  • Nova Scotia: 6.9.
  • New Brunswick: 8.2.
  • Quebec: 5.4.
  • Ontario: 5.7.
  • Manitoba: 5.5.
  • Saskatchewan: 5.5.
  • Alberta: 6.8.
  • British Columbia: 4.7.
Average salaries:

Alberta $ 59,384
New Foundland and Labrador $ 53,820
Saskatchewan $ 52,728
Ontario $ 52,260
British Columbia $ 49,244
Manitoba $ 47,632
Quebec $ 47,320
New Brunswick $ 46,644
Nova Scotia $ 45,292
Prince Edward Island $ 42,380

Ontario and BC are quite similar.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
See this doesn't make sense to me. An old perception?

Here's how the unemployment percentages break down by Province as of Jan 2019:
  • Newfoundland and Labrador: 11.4.
  • Prince Edward Island: 9.9.
  • Nova Scotia: 6.9.
  • New Brunswick: 8.2.
  • Quebec: 5.4.
  • Ontario: 5.7.
  • Manitoba: 5.5.
  • Saskatchewan: 5.5.
  • Alberta: 6.8.
  • British Columbia: 4.7.
I have no idea why you are countering the argument that many industries don't have heavy presences in BC or pay as well with unemployment rates. XP

tabris

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea why you are countering the argument that many industries don't have heavy presences in BC or pay as well with unemployment rates. XP

Please see my edit, and you said opportunities. Employment rate is a large attribution to number of opportunities.

EDIT - I was responding to someone who didn't say anything about industries or pay.