• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Divvy

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I was one of these 18000

I'm at the brink of depression. I feel HORRIBLE.

Edit: there's a total of 18159 files in total. I can't help but feel like a freaking failure.

Fuck! That's horrible to hear, but you're not a failure, the failure is on us for not being able to come to our senses. While this is a setback don't be too down, there must be other options available. I'm happy to help look for them if you need assistance. Unfortunately, things aren't doing so well here politically in Ontario either, but regardless, let us know if there's anything at all we can do!

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
See this doesn't make sense to me. An old perception?

Here's how the unemployment percentages break down by Province as of Jan 2019:
  • Newfoundland and Labrador: 11.4.
  • Prince Edward Island: 9.9.
  • Nova Scotia: 6.9.
  • New Brunswick: 8.2.
  • Quebec: 5.4.
  • Ontario: 5.7.
  • Manitoba: 5.5.
  • Saskatchewan: 5.5.
  • Alberta: 6.8.
  • British Columbia: 4.7.
Average salaries:

Alberta $ 59,384
New Foundland and Labrador $ 53,820
Saskatchewan $ 52,728
Ontario $ 52,260
British Columbia $ 49,244
Manitoba $ 47,632
Quebec $ 47,320
New Brunswick $ 46,644
Nova Scotia $ 45,292
Prince Edward Island $ 42,380

Ontario and BC are quite similar.

That's fair, I should probably have been more specific about what sort of jobs. I also found the wages lower relative to the cost of living, but I don't have any numbers to back that up. I was working econ/finance in Victoria and found I could make nearly twice as much in Calgary or Edmonton and have a lower cost of living. It's possible other jobs don't have that variation, especially now with the economy sputtering a bit.

Tradeoff is not having the climate and soothing surroundings of the island.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I mean Victoria and Lowermainland are pretty pricey, so is Kelowna. And our industries don't pay or have the opportunities like they have back east. I love Vancouver but I can see why many can't afford it or it doesn't have the job prospects that GTA/East offers
Nanaimo just got on that most expensive list so every city anywhere near south coast in bc is going to start feeling residual effect of being a suburb .... my house was just assessed at 500k . I'm an hour from any major city . That's assessed not sale .

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I live in Victoria and I pay $700/month for a one bedroom nestled between downtown and the ocean. There are affordable places. The townhouse complex near me is $1000/month for a 2 bedroom. You dont need a vehicle here either. And if you go a little outside of Victoria to Langford like 10km out, you can find nice basement suite accommodations in the sub $1000/month range.

Its super expensive to buy but you can find affordable rentals if you look.

But around here, unless you work in the tech sector, the only jobs are in the hospitality industry.

Last edited:

Machado

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 26, 2017
Fuck! That's horrible to hear, but you're not a failure, the failure is on us for not being able to come to our senses. While this is a setback don't be too down, there must be other options available. I'm happy to help look for them if you need assistance. Unfortunately, things aren't doing so well here politically in Ontario either, but regardless, let us know if there's anything at all we can do!
Thank you for your help. I'll check other options tonight and keep you posted.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
nationaliste posturing on the part of the Province of Quebec on a Federal Election year trying to get Conservatives elected .

Premier Legault was a YES caribou separatist in 1995-1998 and a conservative nationalist.

this whole thing is smoke and mirrors to bait the Federal Liberals to say "NO" just to get the Federal Conservatives elected in October who promised to cave into Quebec's nationalistic demands.

Sorry Machado, Quebec has stupid nationalistic identity politics that nullifies common sense

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am really not sure why anyone wouldn't want to just live in BC. It really is the best province, I would love someone from another province to dispute this so I can debate this - especially when you've seen news articles like this on Quebec (and the rest of it's Xenophobia), Ford election in Ontario, the whole thing with Alberta, etc.

I chose Nova Scotia for the rural environment, and getting huge bang for my buck, when selling my Toronto house. No way was I going to consider BC as it would have resulted in another smallish house in the city, or even outside for that matter. The culture is great here and I can park anywhere. But I know you are a city person so this probably won't make much sense to you. I'm quite happy where I am, got a huge lakehouse and a dock, fibre internet, awesome people, milder winters on the coast.

LookAtMeGo

Oct 25, 2017
a parallel universe
I chose Nova Scotia for the rural environment, and getting huge bang for my buck, when selling my Toronto house. No way was I going to consider BC as it would have resulted in another smallish house in the city, or even outside for that matter. The culture is great here and I can park anywhere. But I know you are a city person so this probably won't make much sense to you. I'm quite happy where I am, got a huge lakehouse and a dock, fibre internet, awesome people, milder winters on the coast.
I'm originally from Cape Breton and ended up out here in BC. But NS isn't a bad bet either. I know a lot of folk that went back there for the cheaper housing and shit and are doing really well. Nova Scotia is great.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
nationaliste posturing on the part of the Province of Quebec on a Federal Election year trying to get Conservatives elected .

Premier Legault was a YES caribou separatist in 1995-1998 and a conservative nationalist.

this whole thing is smoke and mirrors to bait the Federal Liberals to say "NO" just to get the Federal Conservatives elected in October who promised to cave into Quebec's nationalistic demands.

Sorry Machado, Quebec has stupid nationalistic identity politics that nullifies common sense
Already doing that shit with the conservator saying they'd let Quebec handle both tax reports.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Me and roommate were planning of visiting Quebec for vacation later this year. We're gonna cancel it until this stupidity is reversed.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, this is what I feared.
I love my province but when it comes to politics... We're freaking dumb.

Anyway, my GF and I are getting married, hopefully she'll be able to get her work permit before they chose to f*ck things up even more.

Machado

Oct 26, 2017
Idiotic and awful. Fuck the CAQ.

I'm so sorry dude. I really hope the feds overturn this somehow.
I hope so. Basically everything I've worked for over the past 4 years depends on this.
There's this online petition from an European applicant which most likely will not even be looked at but the least I could do is share it as much as I can. If you have 10 seconds please check it out. It's in french but it explains our situation pretty well.

Thanks in advance
https://secure.avaaz.org/fr/communi...dossiers_dimmigration_pour_le_Quebec/?tNjWZnb

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
This sure is some fucking bullshit. Thought of Machado immediately upon reading the title. Son of a fucking bitch.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
I hope so. Basically everything I've worked for over the past 4 years depends on this.
There's this online petition from an European applicant which most likely will not even be looked at but the least I could do is share it as much as I can. If you have 10 seconds please check it out. It's in french but it explains our situation pretty well.

Thanks in advance
https://secure.avaaz.org/fr/communi...dossiers_dimmigration_pour_le_Quebec/?tNjWZnb
Signed. I doubt it'll help, but who knows.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal

Thanks in advance
signed!
best of luck bro

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks in advance
Signed. I don't need to confirm I signed via email, right? Just signing it on the form is good enough for it to count, right? Last took French in high school 14 years ago so I'm a little rusty, lol.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Machado, you're probably in Montreal, which makes your deputy liberal instead of the ruling party (unless you're in Pointe au tremble). I would call his office, for sure they're looking for cases like yours to highlight and make the CAQ look bad. Your employer can also help you on the work permit side. My brother in law is also an immigration lawyer, I might be able to tap him for info. Better take it to PMs.

Morrigan

Oct 24, 2017
Machado, you're probably in Montreal, which makes your deputy liberal instead of the ruling party (unless you're in Pointe au tremble). I would call his office, for sure they're looking for cases like yours to highlight and make the CAQ look bad. Your employer can also help you on the work permit side. My brother in law is also an immigration lawyer, I might be able to tap him for info. Better take it to PMs.
I do believe Machado never made it to Quebec and is still in Venezuela, waiting for our shitfuck government to accept him. :(

Machado

Oct 26, 2017
Thank you for those who signed. I doubt it'll work but hey!
Just checked BC immigration programs, I don't make the cut.
I may be able to on Saskatchewan but I'd have to be approved by federal government. This might be my best bet thought a long one. I don't know if I'm willing to wait another 3 years :( I'll check it out tomorrow.

Edit: I never made it out of Venez.

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stupid pandering to people in the regions that no immigrants go to anyway.
1280px-Quebec_general_election_2018_-_Results_by_Riding.svg.png

Montreal is a small island of red surrounded by a blue ocean
For example, a 2017 CROP study suggested 34 per cent of Quebecers agreed that Muslim immigrants should outright be banned, compared with 23 per cent in the rest of Canada.
Which is funny because their French language requirements benefit Muslim immigrants from the Maghreb.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
I do believe Machado never made it to Quebec and is still in Venezuela, waiting for our shitfuck government to accept him. :(

Ah, harder. At my old firm I had hired a couple of Venezuelans engineers, good people. This will sound bad, but the easiest way in might be to go to NY as a tourist and walk in from upstate NY, ask for refugee status once in (wait for May if you want to keep your toes). Since he had a good enough background to get on the skilled workers list he should be able to get a job easily once here.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The federal government did the same for 100k applications in 2012. Not that it excuses what is being done here, but I think that's worth mentionning, to put things into perspective. Of course, English language media won't mention this.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Of course it matters, policy changes depending on who is in charge Federally and Provincially

Quebec Nationlissssstes are too thin skinned whenever it comes to legitimate criticism on how ethnic nationlism skews policy decision based on irrationality over facts

I never said I agreed with what the CAQ is doing, but of course everything on this forum always has to be black or white.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Been following Machado's story since the first gaf thread.

Jesus...what does that guy have to do to catch a break.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What they could easily do is only apply the "new rules" to future applications, even if it's dumb, they could probably win some points on that. I think there is hope.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Man, it sucks hearing this.
I really hope that they back down and your application is still accepted, Machado.
Fuerza y mucha suerte, desde España.