• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
So a Star Trek movie might be Tarantino's final swan song? Can't say I saw that coming...

Digoman

Oct 27, 2017
I also think the R rating is (for now) more about making sure Tarantino knows he has "complete" freedom and fully commits to the project.

And while I'm not the new audience they're seeking since I will watch Trek anyway, if Tarantino can adapt his style to it instead of just "copy & pasting" what people expect of him (which I think he can because he is a good director), the whole thing sounds really, *really*, interesting.

Still... so many questions. New cast? New timeline? What is this pitch that made things move so fast? And of course... will it have more Klingon nudity?

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Happy Feet wasn't rated R so ... that metaphor falls apart right off the bat.

But mad max 3 was the same rating as happy feet and shares practically nothing in common with that

I suspect the r rating was requested cuz tarantino isn't used to working outside that realm yet and just to guarantee that there's a lot of creative freedom behind this project since he's jumping onto a franchise.

I doubt this becomes an profanity laden blood fest

Kidgalactus

Oct 30, 2017
Orlando
I also think the R rating is (for now) more about making sure Tarantino knows he has "complete" freedom and fully commits to the project.

And while I'm not the new audience they're seeking since I will watch Trek anyway, if Tarantino can adapt his style to it instead of just "copy & pasting" what people expect of him (which I think he can because he is a good director), the whole thing sounds really, *really*, interesting.

Still... so many questions. New cast? New timeline? What is this pitch that made things move so fast? And of course... will it have more Klingon nudity?

I wasn't in before, but NOW I'm in.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Yesterday's Enterprise is one of my favorite ST eps of all time, so I'd love the hell out of that!

Mine also, I think people are running away with things at the moment, they are going to know how people are going to react and they are going to do everything in their power to make it a good solid film, ok they will maybe lose to some of the hardcore Star Trek fans but it could bring in a whole new audience into the Star Trek universe.

It will be cannon but it will no doubt be out on it's own if time-travel or extra dimensions are involved, the Mirror Universe for example, then there is the R rating, from that report Paramount have agreed that it will be R rated so it will be R rated but people are over reacting, ok there maybe swearing but the people in the future will swear and it depends on the context also if there is a phaser shootout then we will see people being really injured maybe the Klingons will show up with their Bat'leth's.

Maybe it will be a step too far but do people think that QT is going to want to go out with a whimper?

I wouldn't mind seeing Reginald Barclay in this film though.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
First time I've been hyped for anything Star Trek related in a while. I haven't seen Discovery though I've heard good things about it.

Dick Justice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bring back Patrick Stewart, re-enact this gif with Django blood squibs.
chunk_picard_full.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Newcastle, UK
So a Star Trek movie might be Tarantino's final swan song? Can't say I saw that coming...
I'm dubious he'll direct, but if he does I can't see it being his final movie. He's not writing it so that sounds like an easy loophole for him to still establish his "10 films by Quentin Tarantino" ideal. Or maybe he'll just scrap the idea, he wasn't that strict about it "I like that I will leave a 10-film filmography. It's not etched in stone, but that is the plan. If, later on, I come across a good movie, I won't not do it just because I said I wouldn't".

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Remake Balance Of Terror and have Stiles cut off a Romulan's ear to Stuck In The Middle With You.

rhn94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread is full of people already anticipating n words, Walton Goggins, Sam Jackson, Christoph Waltz and feet.

Oh come on. We all know that random internet user on video gaming forum is more intellectual and better at making movies than people who've made very successful movies their entire lives. Don't make me report you.

Oct 27, 2017
So would this be the next Star Trek? With Tarantino ready to go on the 1969 movie, it would be hard to imagine this movie coming out anytime soon. Is the one with Chris Hemsworth still being prepped in the meantime?

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not sure if the R-rating makes more or less sense in light of Beyond's severe underperformance. I think I'm leaning towards... more? Something has to change. Maybe Paramount finally gave up on the under-18 crowd.

Taki

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What timeline did I slip into?!

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy...I wonder what time period? Will they keep the current crew if it's Kelvin TOS? Is the other ST movie still happening? I imagine the budget on an R rated Star Trek movie would be low?
Tarrintino himself said he'd like to do a TNG movie, and Picard has said he is open to returning to Trek as recently as last week... I can dream.

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Tarrintino himself said he'd like to do a TNG movie, and Picard has said he is open to returning to Trek as recently as last week... I can dream.

The old crew back together? where do I sign up?

It could be The Undiscovered Country - The Next Generation!

The possibilities for this are as endless as time itself.

jzHIedD.gif

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Why would you hire screenwriters when you have Tarantino.

Wut. Y.

The OP says that the script will be based on QT's ideas, he will no doubt read the script and add dialogue where he sees fit with his razor sharp eye, he will have the final say though, it is highly doubtful he will want his name as the headline for this film if he hasn't given his approval to every little detail, everyone knows what QT is like, he could throw his toys out of the pram and say "I'm going to do it all myself".

We just need to wait and see what details come out over the months first, all of us here have been commenting/posting our wish lists as I have done, but QT is the one at the helm and it will be his wish list and vision of Star Trek that we will see and so far we have liked what he has done so far.

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
Tarantino films arent my jam, but i totally get why people love his movies.

That said, I'll still go day 1. I love star trek. I thought the last movie was gonna be no good when I heard it was Justin Lin, but it ended up feeling like the most star trek like movie of the Chris pine era.

Masseyfects

Nov 7, 2017
Guys, I think this movie is going to be more like Wrath of Khan and less like Reservoir Dogs. I'm pretty excited at the prospect of a Tarantino-directed Star Trek film.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hate to burst the TNG bubble but he never said that. You are mixing up what he said on the Nerdist podcast.

He said he was a hardcore TOS fan. That to him Kirk, Spock, McCoy IS Star Trek.

And that he only has seen a little of TNG and of what he saw Yesterday's Enterprise he thinks is one of the best episodes of Trek ever.

But he made it clear he doesn't know much about TNG and hasn't seen many episodes and that to him Kirks crew is Star Trek.

What if it's a DS9 movie?
If Tarantino barely knows anything about TNG and says TOS is his Star Trek you really expect him to be a DS9 fan? lol.

Guys every time Tarantino talks about Trek he talks about how his Trek is TOS and the TOS films....he isn't a TNG era guy outside of loving Yesterday's Enterprise.

With Abrams producing it is safest to assume this will be the 4th film with Chris Pine and co.

Last edited:

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
^
I know it's not going to happen. I'm sure we're getting an adaptation of a classic TOS episode like City or Balance Of Terror, or an adaptation of a TNG episode with the JJ-TOS cast. That being said, I still want a DS9 movie with Lance Reddick as Sisko, Walton Goggins as Quark and Timothy Olyphant as Odo.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I LOOOOOOOVE DS9 but sadly was one of the least popular with mainsteam audiences, DS9 nostgia is just not something that will warrant a film. Gotta give up on that dream my man.

All signs point to getting a 4th JJ era Kirk crew film....but directed by one of the most talented aueter directors on the planet essentially given full creative control to do whatever he pleases.

That is enough to get hyped for.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Samuel L Jackson better be the fucking captain. "Motherfucker did you not hear what I just said? Warp overdrive!"

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The more I think about Tarantino characters the less I like this idea. The new movies have been haunted by fake, plastic and flimsy characters that you hope you don't notice through all the style the movies have. This is what Tarantino excels at but it's not something I want from star trek.

Oct 25, 2017
USA, Sol 3, Universe 1
Has enough time passed to make the plot...

a story of loss and rage?

What if Chekov stayed on the U.S.S. Endeavor, and it was destroyed with no survivors. Darwin and the rest of the crew are now on the 1701-A searching for the ship who attacked the endeavor.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has enough time passed to make the plot...

a story of loss and rage?

What if Chekov stayed on the U.S.S. Endeavor, and it was destroyed with no survivors. Darwin and the rest of the crew are now on the 1701-A searching for the ship who attacked the endeavor.
That doesn't fit at all with what we know. We know the story of the film was crafted by Tarantino and what we know of what Tarantino wants to do based on his Nerdist interview:

-He loves the JJ Kelvin Timeline cast

-He hated Star Trek Into Darkness

-To him Star Trek is Kirk, Spock, McCoy and he doesn't like it when they try to force the story so all of the main crew members have something important to do in the movies because the Original Series didn't do that. That it's okay just to have a story focused on a few of them.

-He said if he was to direct one of the films it would either be an adaption of a classic TOS episode like City on the Edge of Forever or a time travel story in the mold of Yesterday's Enterprise.

Last edited: