• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My grandmother was recently diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in her colon. My whole family, me included, is devastated and worried by this news, but we're also trying to cling to hope. If the cancer is stage 2 or 3 (which is what the doctor thinks it might be), it can be cured with 90% success, according to Google. Anything higher than that is bad but still treatable.

Right now our biggest worry is whether the cancer has spread to other areas. We've been rushing to get her an MRI, and it looks like the earliest we'll get one is tomorrow. In the meantime, I was hoping to get some clarification from anyone who is well-versed on the subject, just to get some peace of mind.

Based on my limited understanding, if the cancer had spread to her lungs or liver, she should be exhibiting symptoms, right? However, we've checked with her several times and she isn't experiencing any coughing, chest pain, fever, yellowish skin. Aside from some mild constipation and a tiny amount of blood in the stool, she says she's feeling no pain whatsoever.

That's what I'm clinging onto: if it were stage 4 and it had spread, we surely would be seeing some symptoms. Nevertheless, information and logic are the things that are keeping me from losing it entirely, so I would be very grateful if anyone could provide some information. I want to stress that I won't hold anything that anyone says as gospel truth, but anything that provides a high probability that things aren't as bad as they could be would really put me and my family at ease.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Assuming no one here really knows about this subject, would you instead happen to know about an online forum where I could post this question?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The best thing you can do is get the recommended scans and following the advice of a medical professional.

Not sugar coating it, there wouldn't necessarily be symptoms that indicate that the colon cancer has undergone metastasis to other organs.

That said, if she isn't showing any of the symptoms you mentioned, that is a good sign anyway.

OP
OP
SOLDIER

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The best thing you can do is get the recommended scans and following the advice of a medical professional.

Not sugar coating it, there wouldn't necessarily be symptoms that indicate that the colon cancer has undergone metastasis to other organs.

That said, if she isn't showing any of the symptoms you mentioned, that is a good sign anyway.

Knock on wood, but if the scan turned out it had spread to other areas, but she isn't showing any symptoms, is that a good sign that she is still within the highly treatable range?

I'm worried about which part of the cancer would be "point of no return". It sounded like as long as it's 1-3 then we're good. 4 is bad but not hopeless. Turns out I had another family member who had stage 4 but beat it, and she's going on her nineties now.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Knock on wood, but if the scan turned out it had spread to other areas, but she isn't showing any symptoms, is that a good sign that she is still within the highly treatable range?

I'm worried about which part of the cancer would be "point of no return". It sounded like as long as it's 1-3 then we're good. 4 is bad but not hopeless. Turns out I had another family member who had stage 4 but beat it, and she's going on her nineties now.

As far as falling ill with cancer goes, bowel/colon cancer has better odds of successful treatment than many other types.

However, a cancer that has become metastatic , which is what I think is meant by stage 4 for colon cancer, is never good for survival rates, for a variety of reasons. Honestly, the best advice I can give to that possibility is try to put it out of your mind until a doctor confirms it, as difficult as that is to do.

I also don't want to get your hopes up and say that she is in the range where treatments are highly successful either though, in case the worst should happen and that's not the case.

Anyhow, I had a quick look and found a more dedicated forum run by a UK cancer charity that have people talking in that might be of some use to you. I think it's more for patients and family rather than doctors but it may be of some help to you ( I don't think you need to be in the UK to sign up)
https://community.bowelcanceruk.org.uk/forum/

Best wishes to you and your family in this trying time.

Last edited: