• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Hey guys. As a lot of you know, I have been struggling with my career lately. However, I am very excited to say I received a job offer at a new company! It's much more pay, benefits and PTO.

I have never had to resign from a job of this type to move on to a better opportunity, and I am looking for advice on how to do so gracefully. I am going to give 2 weeks notice, but I don't really know how or what to do. Do I have a meeting with my boss and let him know? I am a contractor, so do I go through my contract company? Obviously I want to stay on good terms with everyone so I want to do it in a positive way. I would appreciate any experience from anyone here who's been a contractor before.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
I would meet with whoever is immediately in charge of your position and inform him "while I love it here blah blah blah I have a new opportunity" and give your two weeks, simple. Dont over think it. You arent breaking up with your SO youre leaving a company its business. I would also meet with anyone you've worked for/under that you have respect for to give them a heads up too, but not obligated. Theres nothing wrong with popping by and letting someone know too just as an aside.

Contractor makes it different, but meet with whoever is signing the checks first, then do the second, wether thats boss or contract company

edit: write a letter of resignation. google a template. it needs to be basically a paragraph that has your last day.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
The way I've done it in the past is to ask to speak to my boss and let them know that you're leaving. Given your situation, I'd also give the contract company a heads up at the same time. Printing out a letter announcing your intent to resign and giving your departure date can be helpful and look professional.

They'll likely ask where you're going and why you're leaving. They may ask what your new salary will be to prepare a counter-offer. Counter-offers are tricky subjects; some people say they're effective ways to get raises, some people warn to never accept them because it just gives companies time to find a replacement while you're there, at which point they'll let you go.

Be prepared for the possibility that they may ask you to leave immediately. Some companies are weird like that.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I'm gonna speak from a retail stand point.

Just write out your 2 weeks. Thank them for giving you a chance and helping you grow. And give a date 2 weeks away. Make sure you work your 2 weeks as well. Even if your boss sucks, it's the professional thing to do, and looks better on you because people always talk and word gets around.

Don't quit cold turkey(exceptions of course for very serious medical issues, etc).

Just meet with your boss. And hand them the note. They may make a move to keep you. They may not. You'll have to cross that road on your own there.

I'm actually about to do the same for my job today. It's going to be a whirlwind.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
They last time I had to give my resignation, I put a sync on my managers calendar a day or two before the two week window.

Once we were in the room, I basically just laid it out and said I was offered a role with better pay and this is my two week notice.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Just write a quick note. "I resign my position as [job title] effective [date two weeks from now]. I appreciate the opportunities you've granted, and I'm happy to ensure a smooth transition."

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
Giving them a note physically is out of the question since the entire company is fully remote. I am unsure if I just send them the note without any prior context or not.

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
It's only two weeks?

When I quit my job of six years I had to give three goddamn months notice. Austrian law is wild like that.

Anyway write a nice letter (there's plenty of templates on the Web), print it out, sign it and hand it in with a "well, I have some heavy news" or something along those lines.

They may want an exit interview, in which case you be honest but courteous. Then ride out your remaining time and you're done.

Good luck.

Edit: well it's a blow you can't give it that personal touch, just send a short email saying after much reflection you've decided to quit, thanks for the opportunity they gave you, add the resignation letter as an attachment.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I would meet with whoever is immediately in charge of your position and inform him "while I love it here blah blah blah I have a new opportunity" and give your two weeks, simple. Dont over think it. You arent breaking up with your SO youre leaving a company its business. I would also meet with anyone you've worked for/under that you have respect for to give them a heads up too, but not obligated. Theres nothing wrong with popping by and letting someone know too just as an aside.

Contractor makes it different, but meet with whoever is signing the checks first, then do the second, wether thats boss or contract company

edit: write a letter of resignation. google a template. it needs to be basically a paragraph that has your last day.

This.

I've never had to resign from a position I've been at long term, but I'd just be very civil and diplomatic about it.

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
Giving them a note physically is out of the question since the entire company is fully remote. I am unsure if I just send them the note without any prior context or not.

I left my job near the beginning of the pandemic. Schedule a call with your direct report and let them know over the phone. Then mention you have a note with all specifics written out that you can send them over email. I don't think it's a great idea to send the resignation letter out of the blue.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Inform your manager through a call, ask them if there are specific rules like informing HR.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats on the offer!

Definitely give them a resignation letter. It's a formality and helps you move on from the company in an amicable form.

Oct 27, 2017
First and most importantly, do not say anything at all until you have an ironclad agreement and start date for your new job. A signed contract. 100% hired.

After that, congratulations!! I don't really know how contract jobs go, but I would just request a brief meeting with your boss and let them know.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
"Dear [insert boss's name here]

I will be resigning from my position as a [enter job name here] on [put in date 2 weeks from the time you write the letter]. Thank you for the opportunity.

Sincerely,

[Enter name]"

Just be aware that some companies will let you go before that 2 week period.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
CONGRATULATIONS

I'd tell your on-site boss asap and have a resignation letter prepped. Then tell your contractor lead. I personally would be less honest about why with the on-site boss ("I loved it here, just my time, it felt like a great opportunity" etc....) and tell the contractor company any real reasons. They'll want to know the real details for future hires. I'm a contractor myself and my contractor contact asks me all the time about how the company I work for is. That business is heavy on personal relationships so they don't want to be funneling people into shit jobs. Eventually nobody will want to take contract work through them if it gets around.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
This.

I've never had to resign from a position I've been at long term, but I'd just be very civil and diplomatic about it.

Yeah civil and diplomatic is the best way to put it. 99% of the time they will be too. Ive left a position ive been at long term before and gotten shit for it, but if youre gonna get shit for it you KNOW you are and you want to quit you have that kind of boss. Its not something you need to worry about either way.

You are quitting, you dont owe them the blood of your first born, but you also dont want to burn the bridges and tell everyone to suck it on the way out even if you want to. Just be cordial and gracious, its an awkward conversation, but youll feel good after.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
WIth work from home, I'd probably type up a short letter, save it as a PDF, and call your boss or communicate via voice through whatever method you use and let them know that you have accepted a new offer and that XXX will be your last day, and that you will e-mail them a letter

It's only two weeks?

When I quit my job of six years I had to give three goddamn months notice. Austrian law is wild like that.
If you are like most Americans and an "At-Will" employee, you don't even need to give notice, you can quit in the middle of the day if you want. The two weeks is more of a professional courtesy, if you want to use them as a reference in the future and not burn bridges

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to emphasize once more not to say anything until you are definitively hired. Don't give notice right after an offer.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
When I've had to do it before, I would ask my boss if they were free and mention "I need to tell you something", that would be it. And yes, make sure you're still working those next few days and finish the stuff you've got left, don't leave a mess.
Also, are you 100% hired at the other job? If so then yeah, go for it.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
If you work in an office and can grab whoever you report to for a quick meeting, do that.

If you work in retail or in any other environment where you can't just step away from work, or your boss is possibly not on the same schedule for you, write up a letter saying you resign and when your last day will be.

Depending on the job you may get counter offered. If you want that, you should be like "I have a job offer" rather than "I quit".

Oct 26, 2017
Congratulations on the new job!

First of all, check your current employment contract to make sure that you do only have to give two weeks notice. It may be stated that you have to give more than that. For example, one of my previous jobs had a SIX MONTH notice period, whereas another has a variable notice period depending on how long I worked there.

If it is the case that you need to work more than two weeks, get in contact with your new employer as soon as possible and let them know. If they're happy to wait, that's fine. If they're not, you've got some negotating/choices to make.

Now, get in contact with your current employer. Your manager or immediate supervisor will be fine. The way I tend to do it is to tell them personally first that I have accepted another job offer, and that I plan on finishing up in X amount of time, then I let them know I will give them a copy of this in writing. Add all the "thanks and stuff blah blah blah".

If they want you to work for a a length of time that conflicts iwith you starting the new job, you'll need to negotiate. Untaken PTO/Holiday can be useful in this regard, or offering to do additional shifts/hours. That said, if they won't budge you have a choice to make: Do you just walk?

If you do this, keep in mind that (Laws permitting, I can only speak for my experiences in the UK) you are leaving yourself open to legal action (I.e being sued). In most cases, you'll be absolutely fine as it simply wouldn't be worth your employer's time to come after you so they'll just let it go, but every now and again you hear about incidents where the employer really does want to be shitty. I wouldn't worry about this too much though.

So, good luck, and hope yo enjoy your new gig :)

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations on the new job!

First of all, check your current employment contract to make sure that you do only have to give two weeks notice. It may be stated that you have to give more than that. For example, one of my previous jobs had a SIX MONTH notice period, whereas another has a variable notice period depending on how long I worked there.

If it is the case that you need to work more than two weeks, get in contact with your new employer as soon as possible and let them know. If they're happy to wait, that's fine. If they're not, you've got some negotating/choices to make.

Now, get in contact with your current employer. Your manager or immediate supervisor will be fine. The way I tend to do it is to tell them personally first that I have accepted another job offer, and that I plan on finishing up in X amount of time, then I let them know I will give them a copy of this in writing. Add all the "thanks and stuff blah blah blah".

If they want you to work for a a length of time that conflicts iwith you starting the new job, you'll need to negotiate. Untaken PTO/Holiday can be useful in this regard, or offering to do additional shifts/hours. That said, if they won't budge you have a choice to make: Do you just walk?

If you do this, keep in mind that (Laws permitting, I can only speak for my experiences in the UK) you are leaving yourself open to legal action (I.e being sued). In most cases, you'll be absolutely fine as it simply wouldn't be worth your employer's time to come after you so they'll just let it go, but every now and again you hear about incidents where the employer really does want to be shitty. I wouldn't worry about this too much though.

So, good luck, and hope yo enjoy your new gig :)
99 percent of this is invalid in the US, because every state other than Montana is At-Will.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Email is just as good as a letter as it is in writing, but definitely talk to your immediate supervisor before sending it.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats on the new job, yo.

Send an email to your boss letting them know you were offered and will be taking a new position, and then clarify your last anticipated day — ex. "My last day at [company name] will be xx/yy." Two weeks is standard notice, and you'd know if your industry was any different. A good boss will want to talk to you, a bad boss probably won't want to engage with you.

Typically they will run this through HR, and let you know if they want you for the full duration, want to dismiss you immediately, or if they want to counteroffer to try and keep you (or keep you longer.)

The people I know who do this well are sure to negotiate the right gap between jobs for some wiggle room, and use up their vacation first ;)

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I am going to give 2 weeks notice, but I don't really know how or what to do. Do I have a meeting with my boss and let him know? I am a contractor, so do I go through my contract company? Obviously I want to stay on good terms with everyone so I want to do it in a positive way. I would appreciate any experience from anyone here who's been a contractor before.

Many congrats on your new job! I recall reading about your situation so it's great to see you're positively moving on.

Check your initial contract and see how much notice you are required to give. If it's 2 weeks then give 2 weeks. Some places it's 4 weeks so obviously if it states 4 weeks then you can't give 2 weeks unless it is a very good reason. If you got any spare holidays remaining then you can choose to use them up before you leave. This can be done here in the UK. Unsure elsewhere. Check your contract.

If you are on good terms with your employers then the most noble thing you can do is say it to him/her face to face by casually asking them if you two can go into a room/zoom meeting and privately talk about something. Just start by saying how much you have enjoyed and appreciated your time working in that company but sadly it's time for you to move on in your career. If they ask if there was any issues or problems that forced you to move jobs then say no and that your time spent in the company was great. If there were problems then you can word it as constructively as you can but - in my experience - it wasn't worth the hassle. It's not like they'll consider it anyway and even if they did it still shouldn't change your mind about leaving.

If you aren't on good terms or you don't feel like you want to go out of your way for them then email is fine stating that you are giving your notice and wish to leave on X date/time.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's only two weeks?

Actually, the two weeks is just a formality, so that there's time to prep for your departure and get everything squared away before you're gone.

In at-will states, if you really want to you can just say "fuck it" and quit on the spot, with no notice at all. It's probably the only positive that comes out of it.

Last edited:

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
As a lurker and seeing the development. I'm very happy for you and wish you all the best. A lot of fantastic info here, so keep up on that. Good luck out there and keep your chin up. :)

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Actually, the two weeks is just a formality, so that there's time to prep for your departure and get everything squared away before you're gone.

In right-to-work states, if you really want to you can just say "fuck it" and quit on the spot, with no notice at all. It's probably the only positive that comes out of it.
Right to work has to do with unions. You're thinking of at will states.

Ain't Nobody

Oct 30, 2017
And to ensure that you get a positive reference if a potential future employer calls. Which really boils down to the "would you rehire this person" question. As satisfying it would be to just walk out, try and resist that urge.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
Many congrats on your new job! I recall reading about your situation so it's great to see you're positively moving on.

Check your initial contract and see how much notice you are required to give. If it's 2 weeks then give 2 weeks. Some places it's 4 weeks so obviously if it states 4 weeks then you can't give 2 weeks unless it is a very good reason. If you got any spare holidays remaining then you can choose to use them up before you leave. This can be done here in the UK. Unsure elsewhere. Check your contract.

If you are on good terms with your employers then the most noble thing you can do is say it to him/her face to face by casually asking them if you two can go into a room/zoom meeting and privately talk about something. Just start by saying how much you have enjoyed and appreciated your time working in that company but sadly it's time for you to move on in your career. If they ask if there was any issues or problems that forced you to move jobs then say no and that your time spent in the company was great. If there were problems then you can word it as constructively as you can but - in my experience - it wasn't worth the hassle. It's not like they'll consider it anyway and even if they did it still shouldn't change your mind about leaving.

If you aren't on good terms or you don't feel like you want to go out of your way for them then email is fine stating that you are giving your notice and wish to leave on X date/time.
I had to dig to find it, but it says 2 weeks in my contract. It requires a letter as well. My boss and I are on very good terms, so I am not afraid of his reaction, but I just want to keep things amicable.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Be professional, don't burn bridges, don't talk up the new job/place and have it seem like you're trying to recruit.

Once upon a time I gave six weeks notice, for two reasons. One, that was my timeline for moving. Two, I figured they'd ask me to leave asap but also not kick up a fuss over the timeline, and I was right. They paid in full for six weeks of me not being there.

Timely, from yesterday:

local.theonion.com

Man Who Laid It On Thick About Quitting Job Not Such Hot Shit During Pandemic

ALBUQUERQUE, NM—Noting the 37-year-old marketing professional was no longer so high and mighty, sources confirmed Monday that local man Andrew Martin, who laid it on really damn thick about quitting his job earlier this year, was not such hot shit during the pandemic. “Months and months of talk...

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
Hey all, I just found my first day at the new job is Dec 14. Ideally when should I notify my current boss and send the letter?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I have never had to resign from a job of this type to move on to a better opportunity, and I am looking for advice on how to do so gracefully. I am going to give 2 weeks notice, but I don't really know how or what to do. Do I have a meeting with my boss and let him know? I am a contractor, so do I go through my contract company? Obviously I want to stay on good terms with everyone so I want to do it in a positive way. I would appreciate any experience from anyone here who's been a contractor before.

If you are a contractor, send a note to your contract company (aka whoever actually hired you and pays you).

"Dear Boss,

I will am resigning my position as of December 4 (if you want a week off between jobs) or December 11 (if you just want the weekend). I will wrap up all existing projects and have them ready to hand off by that date."

If you decide to leave on the 4th, sent the note on the 23rd. If you decide to leave on the 11th, send the note on the 30th.

Let your boss make the communication to the company that you are located at. Once they've done that, you can talk to your on-site team and work out a transition plan.

But keep the note, short and to the point.

Immediately. This is so that they have more time to find a replacement.

Disagree on this point. Two weeks is the standard. Announcing earlier, especially if you're a contractor, might just mean being shown the door.

Hell, they might still just show you the door the day the company you're assigned to finds out. Give the two weeks notice so as to not burn bridges, but no more than that.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Hey all, I just found my first day at the new job is Dec 14. Ideally when should I notify my current boss and send the letter?

Today or tomorrow for sure. Basically as soon as you can get your current boss on a call.

Edit: oh but as mentioned above, they may just let you go earlier. So if you need continuous income, you can wait a week or so, just so your two weeks notice ends on Dec 14th

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
If you can survive a week without a paycheck, taking time between jobs can be some of the most relaxing time off ever. No job to worry about, no worries about looking for work, just pure relaxation. Also helps that odds are you won't get a vacation for a while after starting a new gig.

At this point I try to take 2 weeks between every job.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Absolutely not. You're just opening yourself up to being told to leave immediately.
And if it's in your contract that it is required to provide two weeks notice, you will get paid out those two weeks or be asked to work during that period.

The only time I'd ever recommend giving notice the day of is if it's an incredibly short period of work and you don't care about breaks in your work history or references. Anything more than 2 or 3 months of work at a company and not giving appropriate notice is a sure fire way to ensure that your reference will go scorched earth any time they are contacted. Even if it's without pay, it could cost you a lot more in the long run.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And if it's in your contract that it is required to provide two weeks notice, you will get paid out those two weeks or be asked to work during that period.

The only time I'd ever recommend giving notice the day of is if it's an incredibly short period of work and you don't care about breaks in your work history or references. Anything more than 2 or 3 months of work at a company and not giving appropriate notice is a sure fire way to ensure that your reference will go scorched earth any time they are contacted. Even if it's without pay, it could cost you a lot more in the long run.
Giving almost a month of notice is just asking to get taken advantage of.

I've given 3 months notice before but i knew for a fact that the owner wouldn't screw me over doing it. That man loved me, cried when i told him i was leaving. Anybody else? Two weeks. No more. Employers don't respect the two week rule, so giving them more than two weeks just doesn't make sense to me.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
First of all, congrats!

Second of all, don't overthink it. Submit it two weeks before your last day. Assuming your last day is December 11, submit it next Friday on November 27, but no later than November 30. If you plan to take a few days off between jobs, submit it earlier accordingly.

Edit: By the way, even if you aren't working remotely, submit it by email. That way you have a receipt of it and there's a paper trail with timestamps.

Last edited: