• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I guess when they sense the threat of the Chinese phone makers commodifying Android phones. If they weren't perceived as the 'leader' I guess their market share can be eaten up quite rapidly, so they have to bring technology out as quickly as possible.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
They've had OLED displays in their phones since the S2 I think 7 years ago.

They have retinal scanner for biometrics in their phones

The note series introduced actually usable stylus.

Also isn't a folding screen a big innovation?

There's a lot that Samsung has done that's innovative.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's just marketing. Though I'd argue Samsung has tended to integrate new tech sooner than others on many occasions, they've just not always been that great at its implementation. No one has really "led the way" in major tech innovations in phones since Apple nailed the touchscreen, app-driven experience with the OG iPhone. Since then everyone has just been iterating. This extends to tablets.

zzz

Oct 27, 2017
Fig-28-Samsung-SPH-M100.gif

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Have you guys forgotten "swype"? I can't text without "swyping" and samsung was the first to use it on their touchscreens.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
You probably have a huge sized phone in your pocket right now. They did that first while everyone laughed at them and even made commercials mocking them. Now everyone else cant get these phablets on the market fast enough.

Same for OLED displays. Everyone is rushing to implement them on their flagships now, and Samsung was first.

They were also one of the firsts along with HTC pushing for Higher resolution displays while others were telling you that your eyes couldnt see anything beyond a retina display anyway. Now everyones switched from 4:3 ratios and is running higher resolution displays on their high end flagship models.

Curved displays, folding displays, stylus uses for phones... All of that stuff they were doing it first...

So yeah. They can have that claim because its true. Everyone pretends like that stuff doesn't matter once everyone adopts it, but there was a first large phone with a curved display, stylus and OLED screen options and displays with higher resolutions with NFC compatibility and VR support. Its only "normal" now because others came around and adopted it.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Uhh since the Galaxy series. I'd say that before that, the company was still seen as a cheap Sony clone brand.

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
Samsung is a group of crazed goblin inventors that throws everything they can at the wall to see what will stick. Sometimes they are brilliant, other times they are just mad and cause explosions (see the Note 7)

Apple is a group of pretentious elves obsessed with minimalistic beauty riding off of their past successes and slowly ignoring the downfall of their culture

That's the best comparison I can think of.