• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So, it's been a week since I bought my Switch. As I originally planned, I've been using it almost exclusively docked, until today. Today, I had to take care of my vehicle's certificate and plates at the government's office. The whole process usually takes around a couple of hours, so I thought why not bring the Switch to continue my Xenoblade 2 playthrough?

Fast forward, I left disappointed..

- I can barely hear anything
Like in any public place, there are lots of people and noise around me, and I'm not that comfortable maxing out the sound in such situation. Playing games with no sound is an immensely inferior experience for me. I had to rewatch the cutscenes I watched there on my TV earlier.

- It's not exactly on the go
The whole process today consisted of moving from one locket to the next one, so I had to pull out and put my Switch to my bag multiple times. Unlike 3DS or Vita which you can simply pull out of your bag and play, I needed additional steps to play my Switch each time, namely attaching and deattaching the joycons as well as putting them in the bag. It's quite a hassle and kinda put me into panic when I get called to the locket.

- It's not comfortable
My neck hurt and I didn't even play for that long. The longest session was around 30 minutes because I had to move to another locket, and it's already not comfortable. I kept changing my position but couldn't find the perfect one. The Switch is also rather heavy for a handheld.

- It runs badly
Unlike the seemingly general consensus, I have no issue with the visuals of the game in undocked mode. But the framerates, man. It slows down a lot in both exploration and combat. This is maybe my least important issue compared to the previous ones, but it's still annoying and made the whole experience inferior.

Yeah, some of these issues can be remedied with proper accessories. I could buy an earphone so I can still enjoy the sound, and it's probably my fault for buying the wrong traveling case. I should've bought the long one. However, wouldn't that make them essential parts of the Switch instead of merely 'accessories'?

With all of the 'on the go' comments and memes surrounding the Switch in the Internet, I thought it'll be a revelation for me. But after this first impressions, I think I've had enough. Swith undocked mode is an inferior experience for me.

More than a dozen quotes overnight. I couldn't cater to every one of them but I think it's been mentioned that basically I'm just not into handhelds in general and I think it's an inferior way of playing games. Furthermore, the Switch is bigger and heavier compared to my previous handhelds, and I really think it's more uncomfortable. I've also posted my short traveling case pic before, the reason why I couldn't use it exactly on the go. I'm loving the system, but only as a home console. Maybe it's just bad wording for the title as I said before.

Last edited:

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)
Lmao I'm the total opposite. I play in handheld almost all the time. I played XC2 in handheld mode and I never thought it looked bad.

Its really best to just lay down in bed and play it that way, in my opinion.

Handheld mode is best mode for me. Lol

Rmagnus

Oct 28, 2017
Suits me perfectly for long bus and train rides to office. Not to mentioned lunch time table top modes with colleagues were a blast. One of them even made her husband get her one because of overcooked.. hope I didn't doom them to endless fights

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Point 1 - Headphones ?
Point 2 - erm...okay ?
Point 3 - erm...no ?
Point 4 - XB2 is one of the games that look quite worse in portable - overall it still looks good for a Open World portable JRPG - you can go back to XB n3DS and check.

You are taking one of the worst example possible and complain about the tiniest things like taking more than a second to get the system out of your bag to make a general point for the system.

Switch isnt really that heavy or difficult to use in portable mode - especially if you are used to it. First 1-2 times might take time to adjust...but after that its on you.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You don't necessarily have to be in those uncomfortable places/environments to get some use out of the Switch undocked. My use has been largely on the sofa, in bed or at a relative's house, and they tend to be better than noisy places when I am on-the-go. And of course YMMV as to the ergonomics of the system and your liking of the quality of the games in that mode, Rocket League is unplayable for a lot of people for example but I find it great, despite having played the PS4 version for a time.

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
-Headphones
-Switch case
-Wouldn't that be true of your 3DS or Vita? I guess it does weigh roughly twice as much as the Vita, but still under a pound.
-Depends on the game, really

I don't play it "on the go" very much, because I don't travel a lot, but the portable design is good for playing around the house. For example I'll head downstairs and plop it on the kitchen counter if I don't want to disturb anyone at night. Or I'll bring it to bed and play it a bit before sleeping.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, performance must be varied depending on the game. That's why I said that it's my least important issue.

Lmao I'm the total opposite. I play in handheld almost all the time. I played XC2 in handheld mode and I never thought it looked bad.

Its really best to just lay down in bed and play it that way, in my opinion.

Handheld mode is best mode for me. Lol
Thanks for not reading my OP. It took me quite a long time to put them up, you know.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
You're done after one experience? You did say you needed eat buds. Hell, I'm constantly holding my phone to my ear playing videos in public. I would start with some ear buds.

Why were you detaching it every time you put it into a bag? I have a few pull overs with big pockets that function the same. I also have that official carrying case that makes it easy for storage.

3, I have the most fun in places that aren't in public but away from a gaming source. My bed, long hours of work where i would be web surfing but now I game. I'm sure a lot of other people will have varied preferred mobile gaming situations.

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is still time to get a refund if that is your experience.

Big screen gaming is for you, not handhelds.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It's good to bring it over to a friends, same with the 3DS.

I'm way too paranoid to pull out any expensive device on public transport. I usually just listen to podcasts instead and read reddit or ResetEra.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Well, my experience on the go is a bit different from yours in a few aspects

-I always have headphones with me, so sound isn't a problem

-Not sure why you are attaching and dettaching the Joy-cons this much. I just have them attached all the time, even when its stored in its case in my bag. So I do exactly what you described you can't do, I pull out of my bag and play

-Have yet to play a game that runs badly on it (haven't played Xeno2) so didnt have any negative experience on this spectrum. This one will vary a lot game to game I guess

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
It's not that you don't like the Switch, you don't like portable gaming. Also, you don't actually have to detach the joycons if you don't want to, size doesntd differ a lot from the Vita tbh.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
As you've mentioned; headphones exist. I'm not sure that the need to use them to hear the thing without annoying others is unique to the Switch. And as you say, you've bought the wrong case. I kept my 3DS in a case just like I keep my Switch in a case, joycons attached. Usage on the go is no different at all for me. Not sure why your neck hurting would be the Switch, your hands? Sure. And how it runs varies from game to game. Something like Mario rarely drops, Zelda runs better in handheld, most little indies are near identical. It's a smaller subset of games that run noticeably worse handheld.

JustJavi

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
People shouldn't be allowed to play music without headphones on public transport or in any place shared with other people. It's disrespectful.

shotgunbob04

Oct 25, 2017
OP complains they have to take the Joy-Cons off each time? Um.. how about playing handheld with the controllers attached? Get a case that holds the Switch with the controllers attached.

Also, plug in a pair of earbuds when you're in public. It's rude to play in public with your device's speakers.

ResetGreyWolf

Oct 27, 2017
The only viable complaint I see is the one about performance being inferior to docked mode.

It's 2018 and you don't have headphones?

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I'm afraid you chose the worst game to judge the Switch on the go, performance-wise.

Having said that, I can't see your issues.

I mean:
- a handheld is not supposed to have decent audio in crowded places with its built-in speakers
- you really should have bought a proper carrying case, and no, that isn't usually included
- about the neck hurting... I don't know, it shouldn't be that different from any other portable hw with a display

The only complain I can understand is weight, but I guess it's the price we have to pay for (somewhat) console gaming on the go - and a *very* nice display

Short version: *shrugs* :-)

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is this 2018 and we need to explain that people generally use headphones on mobile devices........?

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Wait.

Headphones? Issue would also apply to any portable.
Neck issues? Issue would also apply to any portable.
Runs badly? Uh. What? Even the select games that run worse undocked still look great for a portable system.
Having to detach and attach joycons everytime?
Ok. No you're just messing with us. Why tf are you doing that for?

Axe

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I've used it in portable mode, but honestly I find the system to be too wide, weighty and bulky to be truly good as a portable in the way the 3DS is.

That's why I think there will be a revision at some stage that's more optimised for playing on the go.

As for the sound issue, get some headphones.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Use headphones, speakers in public annoy 100% of the people 100% of the time.

- It's not exactly on the go
If you separate the screen from the joycons you can fit it in two pockets of a coat. It fits fine in any backpack. And for travels without a bag (jntra city, less than 40 min) cellphones are enough for the mayority of people nowadays I think.

- It's not comfortable
true but switching between tabletop and handheld helps a lot, and tabletop is very confortable.

- It runs badly
Compared to ps4 yes, to wii u and 3ds not. Its 500% better than 3ds in graphics which is enough for people.

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
Like in any public place, there are lots of people and noise around me, and I'm not that comfortable maxing out the sound in such situation. Playing games with no sound is an immensely inferior experience for me. I had to rewatch the cutscenes I watched there on my TV earlier.
I'd never play without headphones, be it Switch, 3DS or whatever, if you're in public you might wanna use a wireless one.
- It's not comfortable
My neck hurt and I didn't even play for that long. The longest session was around 30 minutes because I had to move to another locket, and it's already not comfortable. I kept changing my position but couldn't find the perfect one. The Switch is also rather heavy for a handheld.
You should sit back and rest your hands on the sides of the chair or someplace that's comfortable for you. Definitely something wrong with the way you sit/hold it if your neck hurts.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Who uses speakers in public? Xenoblade 2 is am absolute dumpster fire in portable mode, you couldn't have picked a worse game to judge the mode on. Put in BOTW on handheld mode and that shit is like playing something from future.

OP
OP
texhnolyze

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Well, my experience on the go is a bit different from yours in a few aspects

-I always have headphones with me, so sound isn't a problem

-Not sure why you are attaching and dettaching the Joy-cons this much. I just have them attached all the time, even when its stored in its case in my bag. So I do exactly what you described you can't do, I pull out of my bag and play

-Have yet to play a game that runs badly on it (haven't played Xeno2) so didnt have any negative experience on this spectrum. This one will vary a lot game to game I guess
I have the short traveling case. Joycons don't fit in there if attached to the Switch, so I have to deattach them every time I have to put my Switch in there.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Seriously, use earphones. That complaint is absolutely ridiculous.

You must have been really pissing people off playing XB2 without them. No one wants to hear your video games in public.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I don't play often on the go, and I use my Switch docked 99% of the time, but I don't agree with you.
1-Headphones are a basic thing when playing any portable console. Did you really expect to play in places full of people without them?
2-You can buy a case with the size of the "complete" Switch, so you don't need to attach the joycons every time.
3-IMO it's far more comfortable than Vita or 3DS, even with games that require precision your hand's don't get cramped as they usually do with the other hanhelds.
4-I don't see how a single game performance it's representative of the system, there's a lot of games that run good (even better than docked) like Zelda, Mario Kart etc...

I agree that the system is big and not that easy to carry compared to 3DS, and that some games play better docked (like XC2) , but the complaints about being not comfortable or the audio thing makes me wonder if you ever played games on some handheld.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
- It's not comfortable

Number 1 reason for most people over 30 years to not play in handheld mode...it hurts your neck, period, there is no way around this.

Its not something wrong how you hold the thing, its so since the OG Gameboy and doctors are advising people to not look at their smartphones for extended times because it cramps your neck... its not good for your health in the long term.

Beyond this the Switch is a ergonomic nightmare and cramps your hands, the joycons are too thin. Its stiff like a board...

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wait, what's a locket? Also you don't have to take the joycons off, hell in Odyssey I just kept them attached and used normal non-motion moves. I guess it will vary between each person on their experience.

Deleted member 8112

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait OP, I don't get it, are you complaining that you have to take the Joy-Con off for handheld play?

Deleted member 3853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ya the size is disappointing and it makes me sad that we're unlikely to see anymore pocket size handhelds. Carrying around a bookbag just to have access to a Switch away from home sounds awful. n3DS/PSP Go were perfect for me.

Abu

Oct 25, 2017
😏
Why are you detaching the joycons? Just keep em on and slide it into a bag or case. It's as portable as any other portable device on the market right now.

For sound just plug in some headphones. You'll do yourself and everyone around you a favor.

I'm not sure I understand what's going on with your third point

Nov 27, 2017
Its a slighty larger than normal handheld. With amazing graphics, multiple control options, and a headphone socket.

I take mine out everyday and simply whip it out of my bag, start playing. If they are people around and i dont want to disturb anyone with the noise, i use headphones.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
From the points stated by OP, the thread should be renamed to "Questioning the true value of portable gaming" tbh.

Nov 8, 2017
The sound complaint is ridiculous. If I'm in a situation where I can't play portable games using earphones, then that situation simply isn't suitable for playing portable games.