• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, this has been lingering in my mind for quite a while and I never really sat down and truly reflected upon it until now. It is a brief analysis and not something I've extensively done personal research on, but it is a very important topic that could be addressed for the community:

Keep in mind, there are a significant factors to consider but essentially I am keeping the average avid consumer in mind as they tend to have a huge library of games unplayed.

Common sense is not so common

Something has dawned on me and conditions vary upon each individual but I've come to realize what with the vastness of the library of that which are video games, are we truly doing our best to discover games that satisfy our unique preferences or are we proactively hindering ourselves in investing an unnecessary amount of time on games we don't really care about?

Satisfying closure or stubborn closure?

Problem:

I believe I'm not the only one having experienced a great many times just staring almost without emotion or enjoyment when playing through a game. I'm not exactly enjoying this game but I'm continuously spending time on it for what purpose? The fact that I've spent money on it and I must get my money's worth or for being the sake of clearing my massive backlog?

Personal Example:

The Online Singularity and lack of closure
1) I've spent countless amount of hours on League of Legends. It has been a continuous motion of enjoyment and stress. The problem lied wherein the x amount of hours spent on League could have been spent on other video games that have closure. With that being said, this is of a personal preference. I like closure, therefore, why continue to invest a significant amount on a single game and waste the opportunity of discovering a plethora of gems that are within arm's reach?

The Backlog Continuum and Unsatisfactory Closure
2) I'm spending x amount of hours on x game. Although I'm not enjoying Nioh, I'm continuously spending time on it to reach the end and get it over with. Is the amount of time and stress worth it? No. So why have I chosen to beat it?

Solution:
Implement a (x) rule to decide whether to continue with (x) game or move onto the next. I.E. - I've spent 5 hours on Deus Ex: Human Revolution and don't really consider it fun enough to spend any more time on it. I should move on and choose the next game in my backlog. If it passes the 5 hour rule and I'm finding myself to enjoy it every session, then not only will it be satisfactory, the consistency to which that I enjoyed it can also offset a particularly shitty ending. (I.E. Radiata Stories)

Closure Results | 1-2 year time frame (?):
1) Continuously follow initial mindset
20 Enjoyable Games
30 Decent Games
50 Mediocre Games
Time wisely spent? Eh.

2) Try new method
70 Enjoyable Games
30 Decent Games
0 Mediocre Games
Time wisely spent and happy? Hell yes.
---

TLDR:
Are you spending your time wisely on clearing your backlog & is it truly worth the time spent on beating a game you don't enjoy for the sake of beating it.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
is it truly worth the time spent on beating a game you don't enjoy for the sake of beating it.

I was making myself the same question when I was trying to beat Yooka Layle.

I didn't enjoy it at all, but I forced myself to finish it for 2 reason: A friend let me borrow it, and I wanted to finish it so I can give it back; and I made myself promise last year to finish every single game I started. But yeah, still debating myself if it was worth losing my time on the game just for the sake of beating it.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
I don't play like that at all.

I do have a huge backlog of games. Loads I've never played and loads I've spent little time on.

I kind of swap and change continuously. Every now and again I'll play something obsessively for weeks but mostly just dip into whatever I feel like at the time.

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I don't think I've gotten any games I straight up just got for the hell of it, short for maybe a couple PS Plus games here or there.

Only game I will say was a slog was Just Cause 3. Other than that most games I've played I've enjoyed enough that I didn't find them to be a chore.

I think if you go about gaming as an obligation as opposed to the past time it's supposed to be you're doing it wrong. At least that's what I realized after JC3.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I don't beat games I don't/stop enjoy(ing). I'll delete it the moment it stops being fun and don't look back. I also tend to rotate between 2-4 games unless 1 game has me completely hooked which does happen a few times a year for me.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
one solution i'm trying with my backlog is selling games i never play and not buying things i know i'll never play. i've made some progress on switch so far since there's only 1 game i haven't played at all yet out of the 9 i have.

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
I was making myself the same question when I was trying to beat Yooka Layle.

I didn't enjoy it at all, but I forced myself to finish it for 2 reason: A friend let me borrow it, and I wanted to finish it so I can give it back; and I made myself promise last year to finish every single game I started. But yeah, still debating myself if it was worth losing my time on the game just for the sake of beating it.

It may not even apply to video games. I feel as if one half of the video game population suffer from what you're going through. Promising yourself to finish every single game you start may be a "noble" task but ultimately.. is it truly truly worth it? Try to experiment with my solution. You may increase the satisfaction of your R&R time significantly.

We humans are notorious for irrational choices. I may sound like I'm overanalyzing but it's about time we stop pursuing superficial objectives and enjoy life. It may sound an exaggeration but it's a game changer in terms of improving one's life and increasing the chances of discovering games in our backlog that we'll enjoy faster. My analysis doesn't quite cover the condition wherein an individual is at an actual scarcity of video games to fall back on. That in itself is a whole different beast.

Deleted member 5727

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is a highly analytical approach. If it works for you, then cool.

TLDR:
Are you spending your time wisely on clearing your backlog & is it truly worth the time spent on beating a game you don't enjoy for the sake of beating it.

Absolutely not. If you're not enjoying your time with a game, there is no point to playing it. Playing a game does not "accomplish" anything. Games are entertainment -- the entire point is to enjoy yourself. If you're looking at games as some sort of To-Do list, or you feel some kind of obligation, you're on the wrong track. Games are for enjoyment. If you're not enjoying it, stop, go do something else.

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
That is a highly analytical approach. If it works for you, then cool.

Absolutely not. If you're not enjoying your time with a game, there is no point to playing it. Playing a game does not "accomplish" anything. Games are entertainment -- the entire point is to enjoy yourself. If you're looking at games as some sort of To-Do list, or you feel some kind of obligation, you're on the wrong track. Games are for enjoyment. If you're not enjoying it, stop, go do something else.

Hence the irrational behavior. You would be surprised how many are out there that are consistent with such a mindset.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I don't even once understood the need to finish a game if you don't enjoy it.
You simple stop playing it, simple as that.

A example I can offer you, is my frustration I had with the game Prey [the new one]. Flowting in space an killed constantly by the giant black aliens who shoot lighting, was my torelance point I reached.
I stopped and unistalled it ASAP. And I saw a walkthrough on Youtube just to see how in ends.
No regrets what so ever.

My real problem I have is my backlog.
I have a List of 1200+ games I want to play and I must brave myself.
And before you ask I have already a List with games that maybe I will play or not.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Playing just for the sake of beating the games without any enjoyment is not healthy behavior I believe, I think it's more of a control thing. I have a huge "backlog" but I don't treat it as a to-do list, it's more like a buffet table of games and I play the games I feel like and I think it's rare for me to find games I enjoy so much that I play them to the end.

The way I see it if I don't enjoy a game there are so many other games I could spend my time on that I would enjoy.

Deleted member 5727

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hence the irrational behavior. You would be surprised how many are out there that are consistent with such a mindset.

I think it's mostly a matter of two things:

1) not having perspective, so you think beating a game is actually important
2) obsessive-compulsive traits, where you get the sense you have to finish something