• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
...because there's no profit, amirite? ><

People of ResetEra! Let's talk literature - poems, fiction, essays, hybrids, uncategorized blends, weird textual moments, weird nontextual narratives... basically whatever we can fit that we want to recommend. With the wealth of digital journals and the hybrid forms unique to the online realm, it's never hard to find something to read. It's just that wading through the sea of writing can be difficult. Journals come and go, new forms rise, links disappear, moments pass, and there's never enough time to do it all, so let's launch a collective effort to create a repository of great things recommended by at least one person.

What's This Thread For?
Anything.
If it's got a narrative or beautiful language or an interesting message and it's some sort of literature, put it here. Limitations aren't great for literature, so let's even talk about interactive fiction or ARGs or whatever, but let's do try to limit to thinks we can link for consumption. Literary fiction, poetry, fantasy, sci fi, humor, deeply personal essays... do it.

Some things may need their own thread, though, like fan fiction. That isn't to say we can't talk about fan fiction, but those are often specialized discussions. I hope someone starts that thread! Books, too, don't quite fit the parameters of the thread, though if they come up in conversation, great.

The Nuts and Bolts
Don't post entire works here.
Let's model after news and article threads and post explanations or excerpts. Don't forget links!

Include attribution. Some unusual forms and items may not have clear paths to attribution, or you may be identifying whole projects. Use your best judgment but give credit when and where possible, always.

Give s some info. Sure, some things defy explanation, but not everyone likes litfic or sonnets or sci fi (though we should all experiment and read new things, obviously). Tell us what you're sharing.

Tell us about paywalled sites, but don't go around them. If you know a lit journal or other platform that has great material but a paywall, just tell us about it and why or how you think it might be worth the money. Writers make little enough as it is. Let's not infringe on their possible funding sources.

Limit self promotion. We have writing communities where sharing work is more welcome. If something you've put into the world comes up in discussion, great! But let's put the primary spotlight on things we might not all find otherwise.

Tag NSFW items. Give your reader an idea of what to expect. One of the first stories I'm going to share is an amazing piece about, well, fucking. Literally lots of fucking. The writing, though, is amazing. Just warn the reader!

When in doubt, share it. Let's not get bogged down in rules. These are guidelines. Let's share some dang literature.

I'll start with a few recommendations in the first post. I'm excited to see what you've got!

OP
OP
Dr. Monkey

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Microfiction: "Collective Nouns for Humans in the Wild" by Kathy Fish at Jellyfish Review. Guys, this is important and unsettling and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. Super short so no excerpt. READ IT.

Sci-Fi/Lit Hybrid: "Spar" by Kij Johnson. Award-winning story you may know. NSFW, but so, so worth it. Also a bacon-themed rewrite for funsies.

Interactive Fiction: "Adjunct" by Matthew Burnside about, well, being an adjunct instructor. (note: this is a friend of mine, but I know like 42939593 writers, so....)

Essay: (CW: domestic abuse) "It Will Look Like a Sunset" by Kelly Sundberg, who has a memoir coming out. Also a friend, but this is one of the best essays I've ever read.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Great idea for a thread! Here's some of my faves:

Sci-Fi: The Last Question by Isaac Asimov - Probably the first short story I ever fell in love with. Very well known, but I adore it and this thread would be incomplete without it :D

Sci-Fi:
The Fermi Paradox is our Business Model by Charlie Jane Anders - I actually don't remember that much about this one, except it involves aliens discovering life on earth with some humor.

Sci-Fi:
Exhalation by Ted Chiang - Ted Chiang is a master of the genre. Another must-read, and just the perfect length IMO.

Sci-Fi:
The Gentle Seduction by Marc Stiegler - Posthuman scifi, with some really cool "human instrumentality-like" concepts.

Fantasy:
Death and the Compass by Jorge Luis Borges - My favorite short story by my favorite author. The Death and the Compass opened my eyes to literature in general. It's probably my favorite detective story as well.

Fantasy:The Library of Babel by Jorge Luis Borges - Another by my favorite author, and the inspiration for way too many pop-culture references. This man was a genius. If you like cryptography, math, or weird hypothetical situations, please check this one out.

Fantasy:
On seeing the 100% perfect girl one beautiful April morning by Haruki Murakami - Murakami is great, this one's in his "The Elephant Vanishes" short story collection, which I recommend.

Fantasy:
How to Talk to Girls at Parties by Neil Gaiman - I love Neil Gaiman, own several of his short story collections. This was is available for free on his blog, so great chance to get to know his writing style if you haven't read any of his stuff before.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr. Monkey

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, thank you! I LOVE The Elephant Vanishes and that's such a great one.

eta: And even if you don't have stuff to add but want to watch, let us know you're here, maybe. We can chat about the recs. :)

lastflowers

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, Wa
David Foster Wallace - "Good Old Neon", from his collection of short stories, 'Oblivion'. PDF link
Fiction. A wonderful delve into the anxiety and insecurities of Foster Wallace. Not auto-biographical, but likely a big part of the psychological aspects are.

Don DeLillo - "Pafko at the Wall". Short Story from Harpers. Also can be found in his novel 'Underworld'. PDF
Fiction, surrounding a classic Baseball moment.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
I just read the Kathy Fish piece! Really good stuff.
Short prose pieces are my jam. Some of my favourites:

Donald Barthelme: I Bought a Little City - Completely bonkers and hilarious.
Brenda Miller: Swerve - Gut punch.
Ursula K. Le Guin: The Author of Acacia Seeds - Mind and heart expanding.

There's a ton more I would recommend, but my brain isn't fully on yet. Will come back with more later.

OP
OP
Dr. Monkey

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Barthelme... so perfect. I actually don't think I'd ever read that one before. Wow.

re: the Kathy Fish - I'm a huge fan of flash and microfiction. The best ones are so compact and tight and just burst out. Wigleaf is one of my favorite online journals for very short fiction. When I used to write more fiction, they were one of my target journals. Another great one, The Journal of Compressed Creative Arts, got hacked this year and lost their archives. Who hacks a lit journal? The worst.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
My dream is to get something into Smokelong Quarterly or Wigleaf. Got rejected by one already and waiting for another to respond :D Gotta keep trying haha.

Wow, I didn't know Matter got hacked. That suuuuucks :( Big fan of them too.

OP
OP
Dr. Monkey

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I got to check Smokelong off my list a few years ago but the interview was really awkward. Still love them, though. Never made it into Wigleaf. Maybe after my PhD program, I'll have more time for fiction again. Where else do you like? One of my besties is still writing a lot of flash and she's popping up in all these new places I haven't even heard of yet.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Shameless plug for Tin House Flash Fridays as I just got a piece in there a couple weeks back. I'm actually more versed in flash nonfiction (River Teeth's Beautiful Things, Brevity, anything short from Brian Doyle), but I came across a lot of flash fiction through the New Yorker fiction podcast:

Going for a Beer - Robert Coover - Just keep up with the jumps is fun.
Symbols and Signs - Vladimir Nabokov - Maybe my favourite short story of all time.
Regarding the Bodyguard - Donald Barthelme (again yes) - ??????

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Getting into shorter forms of literature has been hard for me. I've managed to start reading short story collections of a single author, but I tend to find collections with different authors vary too much in quality. Will definitely be keeping an eye on the thread.

My contribution:

The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas - Ursula K. Le Guin (Reprinted in The Wind's Twelve Quarters: Short Stories)
Philosophical fiction about a utopia. Won the Hugo Award for best short story in 1974. Also (unfortunately) the only time I encountered Le Guin in the school curriculum.

OP
OP
Dr. Monkey

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
That story is so hard to read, Pau. It just crushes me every time.

ETA: more!

LitFic: Junot Diaz's "How to Date a Browngirl...." etc. Man, I don't always love Diaz, but this is so sharp.

Hybrid: Steven Milhauser's "The Dome," in which the concept of the dome itself is kind of the main character? Sci-fi-ish? Also an audio version read by Alec Baldwin for NPR here.

Soec-Lit-Fic: Ryan Harty's "Why the Sky Turns Read When the Sun Goes Down" - it's about a family with a child who is not. So. Good.

Last edited:

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to mention Omelas, thanks Pau . I would highly highly recommend Le Guin's The Day Before the Revolution as well, as she regards the protagonist as one of those who walked away from Omelas. It also serves as a backstory for The Dispossessed, her science fiction novel and one of my fav books of all time.

OP
OP
Dr. Monkey

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
hmm, is it just me, or are y'all seeing the spaces before the periods when there is a link?

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I'm seeing that space too.

I was going to mention Omelas, thanks Pau . I would highly highly recommend Le Guin's The Day Before the Revolution as well, as she regards the protagonist as one of those who walked away from Omelas. It also serves as a backstory for The Dispossessed, her science fiction novel and one of my fav books of all time.
I read The Day Before the Revolution but always thought her comment about Omelas was more figurative than literal. :o

Come to think of it, I don't know if I'm missing any of the Le Guin short story collections. Hadn't thought to look for stuff that hasn't been reprinted though. I should do that.