• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Azaan60

Mar 18, 2020

Someone on Reddit also found this

59to0w4r8tr81.png

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not about to congratulate them for removing something that should have never been in there in the first place, after an entire decade of regular updates.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
This is going to trigger a lot of folks, oof.

Good on R* tho, better late than never.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Dismissive Commentary Over Transphobia; Thread Derail
Oh wow, didn't think they would do this. Good thing they did, a pleasant surprise.

Yeah? I don't really like this type of censorship.

EDIT: I apologise for using the word "censorship" and essentially derailing the whole thread.
By "this type of censorship" I meant removing problematic content from your game without acknowledging that you have done so or why.

I'd rather they put a message up at the start.

That's only because it's a near perfect recreation of the original version. If they felt like mixing the game up a bit in other ways then by all means cut that offensive shit.

Edit: I should point out I'm in no attached to the transphobic cut content, I'm just commenting on how censorship is handled. I played through the remaster recently and didn't notice any difference.

Last edited:

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a good change at the very least; leaving these in would be horrifically irresponsible and harmful, and as one of the largest brands in gaming they're telling a lot of people what they see as acceptable.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017

That's only because it's a near perfect recreation of the original version. If they felt like mixing the game up a bit in other ways then by all means cut that offensive shit.
The original version is still out there in the wild if people really want to dig it up. I don't think it's a huge loss to anyone, especially when weighted against the harm that leaving it in would cause.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Going to be an odd story once they're forced to remove Trevor.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

Edit: I should point out I'm in no attached to the transphobic cut content, I'm just commenting on how censorship is handled. I played through the remaster recently and didn't notice any difference.
Perfectly recreating transphobia for "artistic integrity" isn't it chief.

Glad they sorted this stuff.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Why not remove them in the previous versions too? I get that they're not updating the PS3/360 versions nowadays (or at least I assume they aren't), but they still support the PC and PS4/Xbox One versions of the game. Why not remove them in those too?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
People only seem to care about 'artistic integrity' when it involves removing shitty caricatures of marginalized people, not when GTA online adds or changes a hundred other things.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Perfectly recreating transphobia for "artistic integrity" isn't it chief.

Glad they sorted this stuff.

You *want* the usual idiots to be called to action over this stuff, seriously?

No. Just get rid of this sort of stuff and leave it where it belongs.

It's got not nothing to do with artistic integrity. Rockstar thought it was acceptable in 2013 and don't now. That's worth acknowledgement outside of some randomer's Twitter post.

Anyway, I take your point about it being a siren call for some people and why they'd want to keep it on the down low.

Oct 27, 2017
Good.

Shouldn't have been there to begin with but good.

It sure would have been great if they removed the anti lgbtq+ content in the trilogy remake though. The fact they actually kept them in and even remade some of them...

Oct 25, 2017
A certain sect of people are about to get angrier at this than when they were shipped a literal incomplete, broken and buggy HD trilogy of games.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Good, now update the game on every other platform to remove that content as well. No excuse to leave it as often as they update the game for online content.

Lepi

Mar 24, 2020
Eh. I haven't played it but as an NB person I kind of love the stark contrast between genders. I doubt it was intended that way and it's more likely mocking trans women, clearly. Has a very "they think they're women but look, they're obviously men!" vibe.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Well, that's something. I played the opening until I hit the below and figured the rest would still be in it if this was. Does anyone know if TransFender is still a thing?

20220315_1923136pkvx.jpg

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Never really noticed most of it (except the truck Kyuuji posted and that never super bothered me more just disappointing) but good on rockstar for getting it. Considering they are based in the UK it's especially nice to see.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Going to be real I'm not sure how much they get when they think centring trans people on our genitals as the sole commentary on us in the game is the acceptable state — enough to get people clapping for them. It irritates me that I feel like I have to be gracious in accepting a small amount of transphobia in a product at a time where our rights are actively being removed and lives made more dangerous. Especially when that hatred and surrounding commentary is needlepoint focused on our genitalia. Perpetuating this reduction of us isn't something I feel compelled to look past just because it's not someone showing us in a dress with a beard or shouting tranny at us (edit: seems that's still in the game).

The bar is pretty low when someone not not releasing transphobic elements in 2022 but releasing something with 50% less transphobia in it is what warrants praise.

Last edited:

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Going to be real I'm not sure how much they get when they put centring trans people on our genitals as the sole commentary on us in the game as being the acceptable amount to leave in — enough to get people clapping for them in fact. It irritates me that I feel like I have to be gracious in accepting a small amount of transphobia in a product at a time where our rights are actively being removed and lives made more dangerous. Especially when that hatred and surrounding commentary is needlepoint focused on our genitalia. Perpetuating this reduction of us isn't something that should be looked past just because it's not someone showing us in a dress with a beard or shouting tranny at us.

The bar is pretty low when someone not not releasing transphobic elements in 2022 but releasing something with 50% less transphobia in it is what warrants praise.

Thought this person made a good point\similar point about changing the focus of the humour

Oct 27, 2017
I think GTAV was handled internally by Rockstar while the remakes were outsourced.
Even so

They could tell them to fix it and Rockstar themselves were involved int trying to patch the game so they can do it if they want. Not to mention, they actually removed certain things like Confederate flag from Phil's tanktop so they could have done it if they wanted.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I'm not about to congratulate them for removing something that should have never been in there in the first place, after an entire decade of regular updates.
But at the same time they didn't have to remove them, it wouldn't have affected their sales and they didn't even make it a marketing bullet point, they just did the right thing and in this climate that's worth celebrating in my opinion.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017

Thought this person made a good point\similar point about changing the focus of the humour

Yeh. Moving past 'some trans women have a penis' to comment on a broader spectrum of our experience would be a big step. Like the focus on genitalia at the expense of all other aspects of our lives is the prime driving force behind the movements of the EHRC in trying to remove us from basic utilities in life, from public toilets to hospital wards. Go look at how trans women are plagued with constant enquiries about whether they've had surgery in circumstances that have nothing to do with it.

You have trans comedians out there cracking jokes about their experiences in ways that don't stoke this primitive view. Hire them. Inject humour in a way that gives people more understanding rather than reinforcing what's already mocked for a cheap laugh.

Sure it's just a sign on the side of a van, but if all you've got to say about trans people in the entirety of your game is to boil trans women down to having a penis then perhaps consider whether it's better off not saying anything at all. That would be understanding the climate.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Going to be real I'm not sure how much they get when they think centring trans people on our genitals as the sole commentary on us in the game is the acceptable state — enough to get people clapping for them. It irritates me that I feel like I have to be gracious in accepting a small amount of transphobia in a product at a time where our rights are actively being removed and lives made more dangerous. Especially when that hatred and surrounding commentary is needlepoint focused on our genitalia. Perpetuating this reduction of us isn't something I feel compelled to looked past just because it's not someone showing us in a dress with a beard or shouting tranny at us.

I get that too, and your not wrong. I just didn't expect any changes at all in the current climate.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yeah even though I do think GTA can joke about everyone in some ways. they should definitely try to handle it with more tact instead of just going for something obviously offensive and hurtful like this. Good to finally remove it

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Yeah, i'm not sure that making some bare minimum changes (and not even covering all of that type of content, as pointed out here already) nearly a decade into the post-launch support of a game is worthy of active praise and celebration. It is 'neat' that they had enough awareness to think this content wasn't worth rereleasing again; I didn't expect it at all; but there is still room for criticism.

Especially since what hasn't been pointed out here or in that Twitter thread is that NPCs in GTA Online can still say "you look like a [t-slur]!" to your player character if you wear certain clothing.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Especially since what hasn't been pointed out here or in that Twitter thread is that NPCs in GTA Online can still say "you look like a [t-slur]!" to your player character if you wear certain clothing.
Oh, well scratch out that part then lol.
Perpetuating this reduction of us isn't something I feel compelled to look past just because it's not someone showing us in a dress with a beard or shouting tranny at us.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Yeh. Moving past 'some trans women have a penis' to comment on a broader spectrum of our experience would be a big step. Like the focus on genitalia at the expense of all other aspects of our lives is the prime driving force behind the movements of the EHRC in trying to remove us from basic utilities in life, from public toilets to hospital wards. Go look at how trans women are plagued with constant enquiries about whether they've had surgery in circumstances that have nothing to do with it.

You have trans comedians out there cracking jokes about their experiences in ways that don't stoke this primitive view. Hire them. Inject humour in a way that gives people more understanding rather than reinforcing what's already mocked for a cheap laugh.

Sure it's just a sign on the side of a van, but if all you've got to say about trans people in the entirety of your game is to boil trans women down to having a penis then perhaps consider whether it's better off not saying anything at all. That would be understanding the climate.

Exactly.

Hopefully GTA VI gets it

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

This is not censorship. This discussion has happened so many times. This is in no way whatsoever related to any form of censorship. Stop misusing the word censorship for shit like this.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is kind of a band-aid over a broken bone situation. Technically a step in the right direction, but also vastly inadequate as a solution considering the scale of the existing problem.

Last edited:

SkarnMcFukte

Banned
Nov 20, 2021
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling in a sensitive thread, account in junior phase
This is not censorship. This discussion has happened so many times. This is in no way whatsoever related to any form of censorship. Stop misusing the word censorship for shit like this.

Disagree completely.. this is clearly a form of censorship and you are also trying to censor another person's POV and think you can decide what the word censorship can and can't be used for.. frankly quite disgusting..

If you remove something that was previously available to everyone (no matter how foul, disgusting or wrong that thing is) that is censorship in it's purest form! Especially when they've done it without informing anyone that they did it!

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disagree completely.. this is clearly a form of censorship and you are also trying to censor another person's POV and think you can decide what the word censorship can and can't be used for.. frankly quite disgusting..

If you remove something that was previously available to everyone (no matter how foul, disgusting or wrong that thing is) that is censorship in it's purest form! Especially when they've done it without informing anyone that they did it!

Are you one of those people who screams censorship when scenes in a movie trailer end up not actually appear in the film because going by your thinking that's censorship. Or you know any kind of editing. You might be abhored to know that games patch out content all the time without telling you for a variety of reasons but I never hear yall coming in to bitch about censorship.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Oh please stop.

It is not censorship if a company willingly removes their own content like this. It's not being imposed on them, and it's not being imposed on you.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this is a signal of a change in direction for their future games to not do this sort of shit anymore.

Though the truck image posted above (apparently still in the game) indicates a more pervasive problem at the studio at the time, so it's going to take more than silently removing some bigoted content to really convince that they've changed for the better.

No please continue.

The showing of the ass is necessary to bring these people into the light.

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019

It's not censorship, and it's certainly not 'censorship in its purest form' when it's just a piece of shitty content in a massive game that hundreds of staff worked on. If some items get rebalanced, the original developer of them hasn't been 'censored'. If a later edit of a film leaves a scene out, it hasn't been censored. If either of those two elements get left on the cutting room floor even before release, or in any later version, the director isn't censoring the 'views' of those that worked on it either. I don't get why the only changes people start to claim are 'censorship' are when really shitty stuff gets canned, when they don't go to bat for balance patches or lighting or whatever in the same way. An explanation of why your argument is wrong (like this one) isn't censorship either.

Last edited:

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022

So when Coke cancels a product…they're censoring it?

You realize products are removed/updated all the time, right? Not sure how a video game instantly transcends into the realm of censorship.

And frankly, if you are honestly upset by these minor alterations, take a step back and ask yourself why?

"Sonny, let me tell you about the story of New Coke and cancel culture."