• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
To think there was a time I thought this stuff was regulated to 4chan and Stormfront. It's really worrying how all this has become "per the norm" and people especially in this thread are satisfied with just "grow some thick skin and don't make threads on Era about it" for god knows what reason.

And can we stop with this "What's the point of this thread?" business? There's a literal thread up about people moaning about Nintendo tricking them into thinking a Japanese RPG was going to be ported to the Switch based on incredibly flimsy information and that's somehow less pointless than a thread about racism in online games?

RedGator

Nov 7, 2017
The reason gaming publishers don't believe non-white male protagonists sell as well as white male protagonists is because they implicitly believe gamers as a community are racist, and you all do nothing to buck the notion. Literally nothing. That's the fact of the matter. You can separate yourself from this reality as an individual, but this unwillingness to face the issue only exacerbates the status quo.

I'll be straight up.

I am not about to sit up here as a grown-ass 30-year old black woman and personally educate you on the well-documented notion of cultural conditioning because you were actually coy enough to play like individualism and social attitudes are mutually exclusive, in the same way I'm not about to debate a flat earther.

That's the thing. The reinforcement of racism by societies across centuries is a non-negotiable fact. The question we should be asking is how do we replace it with a better, more fairer social paradigm, not whether or not it exists and why you as a special individual of a white person don't like racism.

I'm not playing this game.

A wholly unfair assessment. Speaking against racism when witnessing it at peer level, boycotting companies and refusing to take part in games I'd otherwise be interested in at consumer level, and involving myself in discussions surrounding the matter is hardly doing nothing.

I'm not playing like individuality and social attitudes are mutually exclusive, but that individuality has to be exercised to counter the "all of you" mindset that plagues any social issue. Modern America is an awful place in terms of fostering racism and intolerance in general, but it's definitely not "enforced", people are free to speak against it and many do, this site is an example of that. If it was enforced things would be very different. Don't act like I'm denying that cultures have reinforced racism for hundreds of years just because I can see that fact, or that I'm content with people suffering. I'm all for the conversation being "How do we make it better?"

The only thing we can do with the tools at our disposal is to start self-policing, creating groups and efforts of solidarity to combat the bigotry that runs rampant, and to actually promote them so they attain mainstream attention on platforms like Twitch.

Don't even begin to think boycotts because you can't keep a gamer from spending money. But you can influence where that money is spent.

This is 100% my sentiment, but boycotts included.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh you meant in terms of those jerks. I apologize.

I am not adversed to anyone brigading Blizzard's social media handles about the issue, but speaking as someone who knows how their moderation style is, I wouldn't hold my breath for lasting change.

No need to apologize at all.

I'm hoping we see some action soon.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not playing like individuality and social attitudes are mutually exclusive, but that individuality has to be exercised to counter the "all of you" mindset that plagues any social issue. Modern America is an awful place in terms of fostering racism and intolerance in general, but it's definitely not "enforced", people are free to speak against it and many do, this site is an example of that. If it was enforced things would be very different.
No one is completely free of racial bias though, nor do white people lack an inability to stop fighting against racism and blending back into the crowd when the going gets rough. Ultimately though, it's not about any individual. It's about the culture at large, a culture we are all responsible for. It's not about blame. It's about the fact that we are here to fix it.

And we're not talking about law when we're talking about enforcement (although the law is not equitably applied across race anyway;) we're talking about how ignorance and passive attitudes allow more flagrant displays of racism to occur frequently. There's little consequence to being racist, mainly because white supremacy supplies a level of power that white folks en masse don't really want to give up. Who doesn't want advantages in every conceivable field of life? Trying to convince the masses to inherently fight this for a moral outcome of people they ultimately don't care about is an exercise in futility, hence why racism is still a thing.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is why I sort of quit playing online games. I first saw this type of behavior in Left 4 Dead 1. It felt I like I was destroying my brain cells playing with these morons.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Looks like I missed nothing from skipping out on Overwatch.
Blizzard and similar online game developers needs a better built-in system to report this type of racism and harassment. The penalty should also be much more severe.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Personally i haven't experienced it only because i just don't play games that's multiplayer with voice chat. Personally i'd be lucky if i can find down to earth 30 somethings playing the same game i play.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Racism in gaming sucks. I remember sharing my splatoon marina tattoo once on twitter and someone said they should added a big black dick with it. But yeah with voice chat online racism is insane nazi, jew, nibba (why does anyone think its ok to say that) and other dumb jokes and if ya point their shittyness out they are like lol its just a prank bruv deal with it.

It sickens me and why i stick to party voice chat. And non toxic places i am a white dude but i am sick of minorities getting ridiculed in gaming. We are all equal fam. Still baffles me racism still needs to be dealth with in our modern time a true shame indeed.

Personally i wish there was some harsher punishment like straight up bans etc. Racism never is justified in any means or forms.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Are these moments so rare now that an instance of racism gets like 15k retweets? Shit has been like that since PS360 days, nothing changed. People laughing at your non native accent, sending nasty PMs, has been the standard experience since getting on PSN.

So bizarre that a game so easy and watered down like Overwatch is filled to the brim with such toxicity.

"So easy"? You must be one of the top OW players then?

Mallaboo

Nov 2, 2017
I'm white and love fried chicken,but seriously i hope that guy gets banned for behaving like that. He needs the wires fixing in his head as they are clearly broken.