• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
This is the case in literally every game. Give bad people anonymity and racism, homophobia, xenophobia, sexism and transphobia are your results.
9b03d863a0a047a8aab93ef1acd2d751.jpg

Motherfuckers don't need anonymity. They aren't hiding. They exist, right out in the open, because they are allowed to exist without repercussion.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, we have had MULTIPLE threads of clueless white guys asking why "people refuse to use voice chat in multiplayer games", they just can't understand how toxic the gaming comunity is for people who don't sound like white american men.

Basically. I'm a white dude and I don't even use gamechat. Fuck dealing with these toxic ass bitches.

She posted their screen names/gamertags. Anyway they can be mass reported?

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
This is almost every high ranked match in a competitive game on PC. Literally all of them have this issue, even more so if they are team based.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing concerns surrounding racism over a series of posts
Yes but this is a gaming forum. "Come on, man" yourself.
What does that have to do with racism? "Racism in gaming is still alive and well" is like an implication that racism only exists in pockets, in certain areas of society. When it's all-encompassing.
Just because you're desensitized doesn't mean everyone else is as well
That is true. The example in the OP just makes me shrug, because it's just how things have always been. You'd get drained if you had to lose your mind at every single example of this when it's one's life.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Horrible. One of the reasons i avoid online multiplayer. Absolutely disgusting.

Maternal Heart

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I don't understand how people in this thread thinks that racism should be curbed in gaming culture, yet in another thread, 90% of those who voted think that gaming developers aren't morally obligated to push against racism. Not that people in here are the same as in the other, but that people cannot simply be "racism is bad" and then in the same breath say that "developers aren't obligated to create anti-racist themes".

If gaming culture is rife with racism, game developers should obviously do something!

Oct 25, 2017
I'm shocked, gaming is typically a very inclusive hobby full of sane and friendly people.
Now, just I'm just gonna play a single round of Rainbow Six Siege and......oh.....oh no

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
And how do you feel physically sick from that? How about the frequent examples of institutional racism? How about this thread?

Imagine being a person who has to live all the unfair shit reflected on that thread as a POC in real life, you're tired of this shit, you're tired of the world being rigged against you, you think to yourself, "okay, i want to relax, let's do some gaming, time for some escapism of this shitty reality i live in" and then you encounter this shit.

How is it not sickening that racism is so embedded into society that you can't fucking relax and play some overwatch without getting yet another dose of racism?

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the case in literally every game. Give bad people anonymity and racism, homophobia, xenophobia, sexism and transphobia are your results.
We know now, that anonymity isn't needed for behaving this way. Just give people access to an echo chamber without good moderation and you give the worst people a platform, where they can spread there bad behavior and ideas.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Yeah it's gonna still be in gaming and honestly I think OW needs to add a new report option for racism or something because out of all the games I've played I have encountered more racists and sexists in OW then any other MP game I've played.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The main reason I stopped voice chatting in games when I started playing online. Text chat isn't even exempt from crossing these type of people. It's the way the world is, and anonymity just give them the courage to say what they really feel like saying.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Remember when people would go "pc master race is a joke! It's not serious"
Then it turned out that nope, the community with a well known racism problem is racist, to the surprise of noone.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being a person who has to live all the unfair shit reflected on that thread as a POC in real life, you're tired of this shit, you're tired of the world being rigged against you, you think to yourself, "okay, i want to relax, let's do some gaming, time for some escapism of this shitty reality i live in" and then you encounter this shit.

How is it not sickening that racism is so embedded into society that you can0t fucking relax and play some overwatch without getting yet another dose of racism?
Because that's the shitty reality they live in. So either you live your life being sick, or you come to terms with it. That does not mean sitting down and taking it. But it does mean that it shouldn't be surprising in the least.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Many people play games and a lot of them are racist. Not very surprising.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
I don't understand how people in this thread thinks that racism should be curbed in gaming culture, yet in another thread, 90% of those who voted think that gaming developers aren't morally obligated to push against racism. Not that people in here are the same as in the other, but that people cannot simply be "racism is bad" and then in the same breath say that "developers aren't obligated to create anti-racist themes".

If gaming culture is rife with racism, game developers should obviously do something!

plenty of gamers who also think service-side businesses, like Steam, shouldn't have to police their content. race and systemic inequity is a hard subject to navigate generally. i understand some of the confusion, but some of it, like this example, is pretty obviously hypocritical and shortsighted.

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
That's really upsetting. Unfortunately not surprising though. Exactly the reason why I mute everyone and never use voice chat unless I'm playing with people I know.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when people would go "pc master race is a joke! It's not serious"
Then it turned out that nope, the community with a well known racism problem is racist, to the surprise of noone.
Yeah I really hate that PC MR thing, and am disappointed that so many use the term, people that are not to familiar with it like Terry Crews, and Tech Youtubers that are high up in recognition getting sponsors from high end computer manufacturers.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Her Platinum border shows that she's put AT LEAST 1500 hours into this game. I can't even imagine what else she's had to put up with before this.

A black woman that plays Mercy, she never had a chance with Overwatch's community. The video is sickening, I couldn't even watch the entire thing.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's gonna still be in gaming and honestly I think OW needs to add a new report option for racism or something because out of all the games I've played I have encountered more racists and sexists in OW then any other MP game I've played.

IT's weird that it doesn't have an option, other blizzard games do, at least HotS does.

Because that's the shitty reality they live in. So either you live your life being sick, or you come to terms with it. That does not mean sitting down and taking it. But it does mean that it shouldn't be surprising in the least.

But was it really necessary to go all whataboutism about it? Racism is sickening, you shouldn't scold a person for saying that it sickens them just because other examples of racism are worse. Like what do you even accomplish by that?

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
None of those fucking cowards would ever say anything to anybody in person though.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
When did it ever die? It never went away or anything best thing to do is avoid voice chat with random people.

_ifigured

Oct 29, 2017
Those guys sound fucking insufferable. This probably ties in with how predatory the game industry is to its customers. They are fucking idiots with low moral fiber. These people may not be able to walk and chew gum at the same time, but they can be abhorrent human beings while funneling massive dollars to the corporate overlords they believe they are more similar to than any other common scum piece of shit.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Basically. I'm a white dude and I don't even use gamechat. Fuck dealing with these toxic ass bitches.

She posted their screen names/gamertags. Anyway they can be mass reported?
Also I hope by some twist of logic that she doesn't get in trouble for revealing their game name. Some devs do that, make it so that if you reveal the game names of people that do bad stuff that you get in trouble instead, saying to send it in to their people instead of the public. If I remember correctly Epic had this type of policy with Paragon.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
But was it really necessary to go all whataboutism about it? Racism is sickening, you shouldn't scold a person for saying that it sickens them just because other examples of racism are worse. Like what do you even accomplish by that?
That's true, and it's a tad cynical of me compared to someone who is clearly more sensitive about it than I am. It's that I know the OP is black, so they should know full well what we live through. So it was more of wondering why they were framing this as if it's a surprise occurrence, and that we don't already know all about this.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
All of those people better get fucking banned outright forever for that shit (the racists). Fuck that.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
None of those fucking cowards would ever say anything to anybody in person though.
This is what's key.

I had some kid jump in my chat party to call me a nigger after I killed him in fortnite.

I found the dedication for him to be killed, see my username, look me up on PSN, jump in my party, call me a nigger and jump back out before I could respond hilarious.

I know I shouldn't have, but how did He even know I was black? 🤔

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
No shit.

BTW, these guys should get the perma-axe.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
And Sony and Blizzard aren't going to do shit about it. A slap on the wrist is the most they'll get. It got so exhausting reporting racism, sexism, transphobia, and suicide encouraging over the years of playing Overwatch on PS4 and nothing being done about it. If I could find a group of people who were actually loving kind people to play with, maybe I'd still be playing... But bottom line is you can only hear the N-word and told to kill yourself so many times before you ultimately bail...