• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"Racism in society is still alive and well" (unfortunately). It's not exclusive to gaming. Sorry just found the thread title to be a bit naive.

On the 'brightside' at least we get to mute these pathetic heaps of garbage in videogames. Trolls are insta-mute for me. There's just no point whatsoever.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how many dudes run wild when they're anonymous but sit down and shut up when confronted. Racism hasn't gone anywhere and it's not going to as long as these degenerates keep reproducing

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm a 33 year old white guy and I haven't had voice chat on in games for like ... I don't even know anymore.
7 years? maybe even more?
I can't even imagine what people have to listen to on the regular, inside AND outside games.
The examples I keep seeing are maddening.
The industry as a whole and society as a whole needs to push against this as much as possible on ALL fronts.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of that recording or match I would have said, "say hello to youtube" or something to the effect of being exposed, or making them feel vulnerable (like being laughed at in a twisted way). Something to take the winds out of their sails. I stopped messing with chat in MP games, but one of the things I did in FFXI (a text chat game) was to make it seem like the racist was being laughed at via me sharing screen shots of what he was saying. It was all fake, I was just trying to make the guy feel like he was a butt of a joke for every extra racist remark, and he didn't like that one bit. Got him to stop.

RobotHaus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mars University
Oh right, I was just thinking Blizzard. But yeah Sony should throw out some bans too. They should lose access to as much as possible, brick the consoles if that can be done.

But what about the money they get? These players will get a slap on the wrist at most.

If devs were serious about actually removing this type of behavior from their ecosystems, they'd do full bans and hardware targeted bans.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
And people even in this "far left echo chamber" community will still insist that there isn't a very specific and horrible strain of racism, misogyny, and homophobia in the gaming community.

ThIS iSn'T jUsT gAmErS iTs AlL oF sOcIeTy

Whatever helps you ignore the problem, I guess.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you have Twitter, quote-tweet that video and tag @AskPlayStation @Blizzard_Ent @PlayStation @PlayOverwatch @BlizzardCS and report the IDs:

Shibou-
b_irace23519
BrainJamesIrace

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Yeah, racism hasn't gone anywhere in gaming (and in general).

Neither has homophobia. Is why I roll my eyes every time someone asks "why doesn't anyone talk online? What happened?!".

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel terrible. Reminds me when I use to play Call of Duty and other FPS games with my boy back in the 360 days. Just pathetic.

KingJ2002

Feb 18, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
This is an on-going issue because gaming companies have yet to take a hard stance on racism in gaming. Anonymity doesn't help but there hasn't been a strong solution to prevent or deter users from making racist comments to other players. The early comments in this thread in where people have just accepted this as a reality shows how deep rooted the problem is... its up to the service providers and publishers to really put forth a better effort to protect the players.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
And people even in this "far left echo chamber" community will still insist that there isn't a very specific and horrible strain of racism, misogyny, and homophobia in the gaming community.

ThIS iSn'T jUsT gAmErS iTs AlL oF sOcIeTy

Whatever helps you ignore the problem, I guess.
Because it's true? Sorry, but if this was only isolated to gaming, PoC would have a much better time than they do. Ignoring the problem is ignoring that bigotry in gaming is a small part of what is happening everywhere else.

Oct 27, 2017
yeah, I get this shit like minimum 3 times a week. Even if streaming on twitch people show up in chat with racist shit. Gaming is a cesspool.

Sparks

Senior Games Artist
Verified
Dec 10, 2018
Los Angeles
This is fairly common, but this goes above and beyond. Holy fuck.

I hope they are identified and set straight, christ. And I feel this is above "bannable" this has to be some type of hate crime?

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
One of many reasons I largely avoid playing online multiplayer games, and prefer to just play with IRL friends in local multiplayer. Even if I mute people, there's still the knowledge that this toxicity runs rampant. And then there's the gnawing question of why would I want to spend my time with such people.

WhiskerFrisker

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Fucking pussies. They wouldn't say a word to her face if she saw them.

This is why I cannot take people who say "it's people in general." How about we tackle the immediate issue at hand.

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
e1OHRCH.gif
i see this gif is already being put to good use
im just waiting to see camera woman now

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
But what about the money they get? These players will get a slap on the wrist at most.

If devs were serious about actually removing this type of behavior from their ecosystems, they'd do full bans and hardware targeted bans.
Yeah I vaguely remember when someone at Blizzard forums was complaining about their ban, how it was unjustified and they never did anything wrong. Someone from Blizzard responded to them in that thread, how they had thousands of reports on their account. Seems weird to me that it takes thousands of reports until someone gets banned. Assuming those aren't false reports, as they seemingly weren't since they banned his ass. Don't think the ban reason was racism in that case though, but this incident just popped to my mind. Pretty sure the ban wasn't perm either.

gabdeg

Oct 26, 2017
🐝
Disgusting. This shit has to have more severe percussions. How about a ban at the console level? Platform holders and devs are complicit in this sort of behavior when all they get is a 2 week ban or whatever.

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
And this is why I don't use mics online since people immediately talk trash once they can tell I'm black. :(

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
Of all the painful time I've spent in overwatch I have to hand it to the game for not ever pairing me with racists morons. Most people were pretty cool and came from all walks of life. The worst experience I've gotten was a guy that started out nice finally lost it and screamed to "gt on the ****ing payload" when everyone was off being stupid on the team.

Kazoku_

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still trying to figure out why people play games online. The excitement lasted all of 20 minutes for me. Nope back to single-player, thanks

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Back when I still had a noticeable accent(not hard to understand, just noticeably foreign) I avoided games with voice chat because the things I heard were so racist they bordered on parody. Nowadays I have no accent left but still don't play games with voice chat out of...I don't know, leftover negative associations?

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
White guys who ask themselves why POC and Women (and specially Women of Color) don't use their mic when playing online.

"Group chat has killed the online vocal community and I hate it". Remember that thread?

It's still bad. It's not going to stop being bad any time soon because people still think that the internet doesn't count when it comes to bad behavior.

Did one of them put their real name as their GT?
Probably. Even read facebook comments? People saying truly heinous shit using their own names, often having their phone number, home address and place of work on display.

People don't care. They never cared. Racists gonna racist.

Nov 1, 2017
I mean yeah obviously this video is absolutely horrible but racism isn't just alive and well it never went anywhere. And especially with Trump they've got a real second wind and are more shameless and overt than ever, and this isn't just in gaming culture. Sorry to say but racism is so deeply embedded in American culture at this point that it's gonna take a few generations at least before it hopefully becomes more and more stamped out. Hell it's a problem in the UK as well. I literally just watched this earlier this morning and was like "Shit, she is absolutely right":

Oct 25, 2017
Goes a little bit beyond the standard online experience, but nothing too terribly surprising.

I stick in party chat when playing stuff solo for this very reason.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's just me, but I just can't stand to watch or listen to videos of racist rants anymore. No offense to OP, I know you posted this to make a point. However, I just can't stomach watching these videos anymore. Especially since a lot of public outbursts are making their way onto social media.

I know there are people who hate me for having a different shade of skin, but I just don't have the energy to be reminded of it so often.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Yes to both counts. The FGC is practically a haven when it comes to acceptance in video games, but it certainly isn't perfect.

"It isn't perfect" is a bit of an understatement. Racial relations are definitely a lot better than the trash fire that is other communities, but other areas like the subject of trans individuals...

Like, ask Kappa what their thoughts on Gllty are

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
All the people in this thread reading the title as if the OP just discovered racism in video games when it is clearly being presented as a reminder it never went anywhere and is just ignored with amazing suggestions such as not playing online/muting mics are doing A+ internet work today.

The appropriate response is, wow, fuck those guys. THEY should be the ones not playing online and muting their mics. It isn't that hard.