• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The weird thing about this take and how he phrases it, is that it only serves one purpose - to insulate the Banks from blame and in the worst possible way.

Sequence of events:

• Banks fight to loosen lending regulations.
  • Bloomberg reporting absolutely affirms the bank position and helps create the bubble and conditions. And at the very least fails to adequately report a clear and obvious danger.
  • Short term profits seen in a bubble housing market makes banks DELIBERATELY go after markets they knew would burst hardest.
  • Poor people, including African Americans, are TARGETED - knowingly - with a chain of beneficiaries skimming or waiting for the collapse to pounce.
  • The most vulnerable victims are defrauded, then literally ruined - financially, socially, resulting in bankruptcy, suicide, homelessness, just mass scale tragedy.
  • Jackals pounce on foreclosures, debt collection and so on.
  • Banks fight to be bailed out and win.
  • Banks fight to avoid punishment and win.
  • Banks fight to demand debt repayments and win.
  • Banks, directly and by proxy, try to pin the blame on Black homeowners, even to avoid the wrath of the poor whites they've destroyed. Many of those people believe the banks, all while paying interest debt they'll never escape. Cadillac Welfare Queens caused this.

Bloomberg's take is akin to Jack the Ripper running for Prime Minister and blaming the Whitechapel horrors on promiscuous women and their temptingly pierceable flesh. This guy is poison. And there's a non zero chance he could win the primary.

This is the dumbest possible solution to a crisis. Replace one incompetent, intellectually bereft, racist billionaire carpetbagger, with a competent intelligent one. Don't get me wrong, Bloomberg is leagues more qualified to run anything than Trump - and is not in thrall to Vladimir Putin at least. They're not the same. One is a far lesser evil. But as an emergency parachute? He's just a backpack full of monkeypaws. I could sort of feel relief if he were Trump's VP and replaced Trump in this term, because it would prevent a lot of specific horrors - but if Bloomberg somehow won the GE - do you think he'd champion the poor? The working man? African Americans? He'd be better, throw the occasional bone, maybe not embarrass us on the world stage, and he wouldn't deliberately rile up the worst people in America, but his matrix of influences would be other billionaires, and he'd be more competent at passing legislation on their behalf. And even if he'd truly evolved, you think Trump stans are just going to go away, not notice he's Jewish? Reform themselves?

This primary is a fucking joke. The few basically decent candidates fell first. Now we're in a bizarro world where Klobuchar and Steyer look like the most pragmatic picks, and the media is basically designing a WWE tournament based on ratings not qualifications. Meanwhile Warren is having her timeslot sent to die like a promising sitcom.

Conscript Beto. Pressgang Pamela. Bring back Booker. Save us.

The Country should change the presidency into a non partisan Hunger Games style draft. A decent moral intellectual with distinguished qualifications should be forced from is job every eight years and ordered to run the fucking country.

Oct 27, 2017
The weird thing about this take and how he phrases it, is that it only serves one purpose - to insulate the Banks from blame and in the worst possible way.

Sequence of events:

• Banks fight to loosen lending regulations.
  • Bloomberg reporting absolutely affirms the bank position and helps create the bubble and conditions. And at the very least fails to adequately report a clear and obvious danger.
  • Short term profits seen in a bubble housing market makes banks DELIBERATELY go after markets they knew would burst hardest.
  • Poor people, including African Americans, are TARGETED - knowingly - with a chain of beneficiaries skimming or waiting for the collapse to pounce.
  • The most vulnerable victims are defrauded, then literally ruined - financially, socially, resulting in bankruptcy, suicide, homelessness, just mass scale tragedy.
  • Jackals pounce on foreclosures, debt collection and so on.
  • Banks fight to be bailed out and win.
  • Banks fight to avoid punishment and win.
  • Banks fight to demand debt repayments and win.
  • Banks, directly and by proxy, try to pin the blame on Black homeowners, even to avoid the wrath of the poor whites they've destroyed. Many of those people believe the banks, all while paying interest debt they'll never escape. Cadillac Welfare Queens caused this.

Bloomberg's take is akin to Jack the Ripper running for Prime Minister and blaming the Whitechapel horrors on promiscuous women and their temptingly pierceable flesh. This guy is poison. And there's a non zero chance he could win the primary.

This is the dumbest possible solution to a crisis. Replace one incompetent, intellectually bereft, racist billionaire carpetbagger, with a competent intelligent one. Don't get me wrong, Bloomberg is leagues more qualified to run anything than Trump - and is not in thrall to Vladimir Putin at least. They're not the same. One is a far lesser evil. But as an emergency parachute? He's just a backpack full of monkeypaws. I could sort of feel relief if he were Trump's VP and replaced Trump in this term, because it would prevent a lot of specific horrors - but if Bloomberg somehow won the GE - do you think he'd champion the poor? The working man? African Americans? He'd be better, throw the occasional bone, maybe not embarrass us on the world stage, and he wouldn't deliberately rile up the worst people in America, but his matrix of influences would be other billionaires, and he'd be more competent at passing legislation on their behalf. And even if he'd truly evolved, you think Trump stans are just going to go away, not notice he's Jewish? Reform themselves?

This primary is a fucking joke. The few basically decent candidates fell first. Now we're in a bizarro world where Klobuchar and Steyer look like the most pragmatic picks, and the media is basically designing a WWE tournament based on ratings not qualifications. Meanwhile Warren is having her timeslot sent to die like a promising sitcom.

Conscript Beto. Pressgang Pamela. Bring back Booker. Save us.

The Country should change the presidency into a non partisan Hunger Games style draft. A decent moral intellectual with distinguished qualifications should be forced from is job every eight years and ordered to run the fucking country.
I think we need to tackle the problem of unconscionable wealth being a gateway to power, but we never will. We're regressing to a state of serfs and lords. We have a moment where we might be able to stop this, and make the planet a better place. I hold the hope of our collective future in a singular event in November.

Deleted member 41980

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 11, 2018
chicago, il
The interview does a very good way of explaining the crisis in the mid of the crisis (Sept 2008) in layman terms. Then goes into the need for fixes to the current healthcare system. Really a pity for that red-lining part at the beginning lol jeez Mike fix your shit.

I think the issue is that Bloomberg's comments made sense on paper, but they weren't supported by the data. According to the study I linked in a previous post:

In total, of all the higher-priced loans, only 6 percent were extended by CRA-regulated lenders (and their affiliates) to either lower-income borrowers or neighborhoods in the lenders' CRA assessment areas, which are the local geographies that are the primary focus for CRA evaluation purposes. The small share of subprime lending in 2005 and 2006 that can be linked to the CRA suggests it is very unlikely the CRA could have played a substantial role in the subprime crisis.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
And you'll see this is why I have something like 500 posts over my time here. I'm not one for reactionary posts, I'm not one for throwaway commentary, I'm not one that takes any kind of joy in screaming into the void. What I am is a finance guy on an admittedly slow day at the office before a long weekend that happened upon a thread that falls right into my wheelhouse of professional experience. If that's a recipe for a "failed derail", so be it. And yeah, I probably should have just ignored this and moved on, but this:

Happened and I couldn't possibly agree more with the bolded. I've voted from the bottom of the ticket up in every election for as long as I can remember and at the very least the nearly 2 decades since college. Those '08 meltdowns (going once again back to the article and its impact) of course had an impact on our local property values which in turn impacted the taxes, the services offered, the whole nine yards. Again, these things don't happen in a vacuum, nor do their solutions.

So maybe there's another discussion to be had at another time in another thread with another title. Maybe at that time it won't be a slow Friday in the office. Maybe someone takes a fraction of any of my posts to heart. Maybe they don't. Waiting for the ideal moment is a fool's errand as there will always be some level of distraction. C'est la vie.

I thought it was a good post....

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
One is a far lesser evil.

First off props to comparing Bloomberg to Jack the Ripper running for Prime Minister. That was rad.

But I think we really need to be careful about analyzing Bloomberg because he won't piss us off with 30 lies and bullshit statements per day and 230am tweet storms keeping us up late at night.

When you really dig down into each candidate it's a wash on how dangerous they are to the country.

Trump is too toxic and too incompetent to even get ACA repealed when Republicans controlled everything. He wants to do things that will put a lot of american lives at risk but unless he can issue an executive order like changing the rules on food stamps then his biggest body count for day to day operations will be limited to immigrants from the south.

Mike Bloomberg though is very capable at making deals with both parties and for day to day shit he will put more people lives at risk through legislation instead of executive orders and that's a fucking disaster for 20% of this country.

In the most extreme cases Trump's worst failing is getting us into a war. Mike's worst failing is half assing climate change reforms. He'll do something but he will structure it such that in the end climate change will happen to a smaller degree and the poorest people in this country will be left holding the bag as the upper class secures themselves with properly funded neighborhoods to deal with the weather changes.

The more I learn about Mike the more I'm surprised that I'm struggling to think of a good reason to actually vote for him in the general if by some chance he won through a brokered convention.

At that nearly impossible scenario I think I would try to start a write in campaign.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
This has been thoroughly debunked over the years. I'm not surprised that a guy with a close relationship to the financial and banking industry would attempt to shift the blame.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not voting for Bloomberg. If it gets to that point, the Republicans already won. It's just Democrats showing themselves to be no better.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Obama really endorsed this guy?
While engaged Obama ended an affair with his ex because he both loved Michelle and knew his political career would not be viable if his wife was non-Black. He's a cool nigga but also a cold ass calculating dude that preserved the status quo.

Ice Cold Obama also made some appearances drinking Flint Water and used Simone Biles' levels of mental gymnastics to justify assassinating US citizens overseas and expanding Bush's drone program.

Last edited:

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not voting for Bloomberg. If it gets to that point, the Republicans already won. It's just Democrats showing themselves to be no better.
Exactly. And people can save their "anyone but Trump" shaming pitch because I'm just so fucking tired. Yeah yeah, he's satan, but with Bloomberg being our nom means that yes, satan already won and I'm just mentally checking out for four years.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017
Far right might be a stretch, but moderates rushing to a billionaire republican 'compromise' candidate maybe 5% better than Trump (if not actually worse) is pretty revealing.

He's 100% better than Trump. Which is not a feat since even a chimpanzee would be better than him. So please understand if I hope that Bloomberg or any other democratic candidate wins the next election.

Skatterd

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say it louder for the people in back.
Supporting Bloomberg not only normalizes Trump in many ways but makes folks who admonished Trump supporters who "didn't like him but voting GOP for other reasons" look like hypocrites.

Bloomberg can't win this primary, it will tear us all apart.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LOL for the past four years all that concern trolling and threats of another Trump presidency, by some White Liberals, everytime a minority voiced a grievance will come back to haunt them tenfold if they make Bloomberg the nominee.

Mar 10, 2018
Exactly. And people can save their "anyone but Trump" shaming pitch because I'm just so fucking tired. Yeah yeah, he's satan, but with Bloomberg being our nom means that yes, satan already won and I'm just mentally checking out for four years.
Yeah. It's starting to feel like, at the end of the day, as long as capitalism isn't threatened, the Democrats don't really care who's in charge.

Oct 29, 2017
He's 100% better than Trump. Which is not a feat since even a chimpanzee would be better than him. So please understand if I hope that Bloomberg or any other democratic candidate wins the next election.

Bloomberg in many ways is, and can be, worse than Trump.

Trump is trash, and his administration and the many awful precedents he has been setting leave the door wide open for someone like Bloomberg to cause even more damage and hurt even more people.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I'm saying they suck because they aren't any different when it comes to the ballot box. They're too comfortable to notice anyone else suffering. They want the status quo because they're inconvenienced by protests or political news interrupting their favorite tv show. They're bothered by people wanting equal rights and protections because it makes them feel uncomfortable. They're upset that 'both sides' are fighting and just want things to go back to how they were. They suck. MLK was right about them. They are the roadblock to progress.

This is a very even-handed description of anyone who doesn't want to vote for the left-wing candidates.

Bitch Pudding

Oct 25, 2017

Trump is trash, and his administration and the many awful precedents he has been setting leave the door wide open for someone like Bloomberg to cause even more damage and hurt even more people.

How exactly could anyone be worse than Trump? By getting rid of Medicare at all, building a wall on the border or let immigrant children sleep on concrete floors? Oh, wait....

Jun 10, 2018
Where are the people who so strongly and routinely pressure black people to vote for this guy - if that situation comes - no matter what?

If I had the time I'd collect the names from other threads so they can answer this.

Oct 27, 2017
Another issue with Bloomberg is he will have no reason to distance himself from his businesses since Trump did not. And he will make policy that he personally benefits from. So tax cuts, yep, destroying the social safety net, yup, etc. etc. Dude is a scumbag. The only reason people think he isn't as bad as Trump is he's smart enough to not spout out his awful shit on twitter.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017

Look, I'm not going to sit here and Stan for Bloomberg, but Trump has:

1) Banned Muslims from entering the country
2) Entered into multiple trade wars for no real benefit
3) Met with Kim Jong Un in person and called him a friend
4) Attempted to Collude with Russia to meddle in our election
5) Attempted to extort Ukrain to meddle in our election
6) Weaponized the DOJ into a political arm of the GOP
7) Engaged in multiple dealings that fall foul of the Immolments Clause
8) Fucked the courts for the next 20 years+
9) Engaged in incredibly racist rhetoric regarding the border and is attempting to subvert the rule of law to redirect federal funds to illegally build a border wall.
10) Both-sides white nationalists killing people.
11) Peddled all sorts of anti-semetic George Soros horseshit replacement theory crap about the caravan coming from central America to ultra-combo racism with #9
12) :waves generally at everything in the middle-east
13) Destroyed all climate change progress we made under Obama and is destroying the EPA
14) Suing California over fuel-millage standards
15) In the middle of using the power of the executive to try and force NY State to drop investigations into his family and business.

I am not going to pretend that Bloomberg doesn't have super-real problems. But lets be real clear: fucking anyone is better than Trump. Mitt Godamned Romney is better than Trump and I disagree with 100% of what that guy has to say. The ghost of John McCain would get my vote if the options were him and Trump in November.

It's important we nominate someone better than Bloomberg, but Trump is the worst human to hold the office since Andrew Jackson.

Oct 29, 2017
How exactly could anyone be worse than Trump? By getting rid of Medicare at all, building a wall on the border or let immigrant children sleep on concrete floors? Oh, wait....

By continuing those policies and worse. The precedents set by the trump administration leave wide open a door for someone to do the same things he is/has been doing and worse.

9) Engaged in incredibly racist rhetoric regarding the border and is attempting to subvert the rule of law to redirect federal funds to illegally build a border wall.
11) Peddled all sorts of anti-semetic George Soros horseshit replacement theory crap about the caravan coming from central America to ultra-combo racism with #9
13) Destroyed all climate change progress we made under Obama and is destroying the EPA
15) In the middle of using the power of the executive to try and force NY State to drop investigations into his family and business.

I am not going to pretend that Bloomberg doesn't have super-real problems. But lets be real clear: fucking anyone is better than Trump. Mitt Godamned Romney is better than Trump and I disagree with 100% of what that guy has to say. The ghost of John McCain would get my vote if the options were him and Trump in November.

It's important we nominate someone better than Bloomberg, but Trump is the worst human to hold the office since Andrew Jackson.

I do not disagree with anything you've said here.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Not only that he's running as a Democrat, and unlike Trump doing a hostile takeover of the GOP establishment, the DNC and media have all but rolled out the red carpet for him. This is like the perfect apotheosis or confirmation of that 'both sides/the dems are just as bad' rhetoric that a few months ago we would have found ridiculous, and it's crazy that some people can't see that they're actually proving that case as we speak. Bloomberg is Trump V2 corporate dem endorsed edition, his candidacy would be the final nail in the coffin of American democracy or electoralism for like a couple generations at least.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The thing that scares me about Bloomberg is that he might be the Democratic Party's Donald Trump; an extreme asshole who is the coalescence and personification of thirty years of corporatism, campaign greed, neoliberalist ideology and cowardly centrist social policies.

The only difference is that there are many within the Democratic Party – liberal and progressive – who would challenge him at every turn, unlike the GOP, which fell into place like dominos for the Great Orange Cthullu.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that scares me about Bloomberg is that he might be the Democratic Party's Donald Trump; an extreme asshole who is the coalescence and personification of thirty years of corporatism, campaign greed, neoliberalist ideology and cowardly centrist social policies.

The only difference is that there are many within the Democratic Party – liberal and progressive – who would challenge him at every turn, unlike the GOP, which fell into place like dominos for the Great Orange Cthullu.
I highly doubt that considering he's already got Pelosi's seal of approval and a growing number of endorsements from House Democrats.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
He's like Trump 2.0, smarter, slicker, and more connected/richer. They both flip their political groups because it doesn't matter to them they are in the party of Mega Rich where the move to being president is all about becoming more rich by changing some things to benefit their buddies or their businesses.

We are going to have two Republican Parties. We're already Republican vs Repub/Democrat.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, seriously?

Are they that terrified of Bernie and the progressive wing?
Yup, even some members of the black caucus

Now that a recording of Mayor Mike expressing some really heinous racist shit has surfaced, many people may think that this will be the end of his emerging positive popularity amongst African-Americans. Perhaps it should be, but I doubt that it will. You see, unlike the current occupant of the White House, Mayor Mike is a shrewd businessman who understands the benefits of "greasing the palms" of those one needs to work with in order to achieve one's goal. And Mayor Mike has slathers of "gease" to soothe even the roughest palms.

For instance, in addition to the millions of dollars he has "contributed" to fighting climate change and legislating gun control (and the hundreds of millions he has spent on his presidential vanity campaign), Mayor Mike purchased a spot on the next DNC debate stage for a mere $1.3 million. But his biggest political get yet is his alliance with Stacy Abrams, perhaps the most influential African-American politician, currently, in the United States. And he has spent lavishly on this courtship

m.dailykos.com

Bloomberg and Abrams: Money CAN Buy You Love

Now that a recording of Mayor Mike expressing some really heinous racist shit has surfaced, many people may think that this will be the end of his emerging positive popularity amongst African-Americans. Perhaps it should be, but I doubt that it will....

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much this. If Bloomberg is the Democratic Nominee, it shows that not only do the Republicans own their own party, but their logic has infiltrated ENOUGH of the Dems to push us sane ones into the minority.

May 26, 2018
Pretty much this. If Bloomberg is the Democratic Nominee, it shows that not only do the Republicans own their own party, but their logic has infiltrated ENOUGH of the Dems to push us sane ones into the minority.

I think it's less that the Democratic Party has been infiltrated, and more that recent events reveal how similar some of it is when you remove all veneer. It's a broadly American pattern.

What exists of many higher-up democrats' left-leaning tendencies stems from ritual tradition, a sort of monthly nativity scene where they repeat comfortable forms. Threaten their tradition, and watch them dance for oligarchs.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Obama really endorsed this guy?

Endorsed him for...?

You might be busy, so I did some digging. The only race that Bloomberg has been in that Obama might've weighed in was the 2009 mayoral election, where Obama endorsed Bloomberg's opponent, Bill Thompson.

observer.com

Bloomberg Downplays Obama’s Thompson Endorsement

After getting a tepid endorsement from Barack Obama’s spokesman, Bill Thompson is expected to get a warmer reception from the president, who is in town today.When asked what he’d like t…

In my searching I did come across fake, unsourced news about Obama endorsing Bloomberg for 2020.

Strong side-eye to the people who took the opportunity to dunk on Obama over, well, nothing.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yup, even some members of the black caucus

m.dailykos.com

Bloomberg and Abrams: Money CAN Buy You Love

Now that a recording of Mayor Mike expressing some really heinous racist shit has surfaced, many people may think that this will be the end of his emerging positive popularity amongst African-Americans. Perhaps it should be, but I doubt that it will....

I have no words.

Kudos to these Democrats for proving the progressives correct when they insist that both parties are essentially morphing into one monolithic morass of corruption.

I'm not quite there yet but if Bernie is leading and the establishment Dems pivot to Bloomberg...

Just...fuck...

Thanks for the info and the links.

Takuhi

Oct 27, 2017
You might be busy, so I did some digging. The only race that Bloomberg has been in that Obama might've weighed in was the 2009 mayoral election, where Obama endorsed Bloomberg's opponent, Bill Thompson.

Strong side-eye to the people who took the opportunity to dunk on Obama over, well, nothing.

THANK YOU for doing your part to keep misinformation out of this thread.

To people quoting fake facebook posts backed up by nothing as fact, DO BETTER.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
And guess who own the Republicans and the Democrats (some) want some of that love as well? The big money donors. God bless the Citizens United.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
The generation gap in support for candidates like Bloomberg is incredibly clear.

That's going to mean little if this country adheres to a donor class of the affluent. I mean, look at how the media has gone crazy at Bernie being a potential frontrunner.

Boomberg's tactics in New York have yet to have been defeated. He literally paid positions of power to be silent with donations.

Mar 10, 2018

observer.com

Bloomberg Downplays Obama’s Thompson Endorsement

After getting a tepid endorsement from Barack Obama’s spokesman, Bill Thompson is expected to get a warmer reception from the president, who is in town today.When asked what he’d like t…

In my searching I did come across fake, unsourced news about Obama endorsing Bloomberg for 2020.

I'm referring to this ad, which plays on tv all the time:

If Obama's words are being doctored and taken out of context in this ad, then I apologize. I wouldn't have had any way of knowing that, though.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I will note that you've listed things Trump has done AFTER taking office. He has four more years(?) - you want to give Bloomberg the chance for 8?