• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
rhotigju4.jpg
Developer: ATLUS Co. Ltd.
Publisher: ATLUS (NA/JP)/Deep Silver (EU)
Platform: Nintendo 3DS
Release Date: June 29, 2017 (JP) | February 13, 2018 (NA) | February 16, 2018 (EU)
Genre: It's an RPG from Japan with time travel so I am legally obligated to claim it is like Chrono Trigger (it's not)
Soundtrack Composer: Yoko Shimomura
Stereoscopic 3D: No
New Nintendo 3DS enhanced: No
Demo: Yes (save carries over, transfer certain consumables to full game)
eShop Download Block Size: 8028 blocks
Game Download: Europe | North America | Japan
Official Website: Click Here
Reviews: ResetEra Review Thread | Metacritic DS Original | Metacritic 3DS Remaster | OpenCritic 3DS Remaster

rh_storyuljzv.jpg
The continent of Vainqueur is plagued with the spreading desertification, laying the land to waste by turning it slowly into sand. Tensions rise, and war breaks out for the remaining fertile land. Stocke, a Special Intelligence agent of Alistel, is sent on a special mission when he discovers the powers of the relic, the White Chronicle. With his new-found abilities, Stocke will need to right the wrongs of the past in order to prevent the total annihilation of the world.

rh_gameplayeejuh.jpg

~ Through Time ~

Whenever the wielder of the White Chronicle experiences a pivotal moment in history, a Time Node is born. Each node represents a decision point, which can later be returned to and redone. Experiment with different actions to lead history to the right path.

~ In Battle ~

Radiant Historia blends a familiar turn-based battle format with an innovative grid-based strategy system. In each encounter, enemies appear on a 3x3 grid, opening up a multitude of clever possibilities—push, pull, and otherwise force the enemies around the grid, and then smash them all at once on the same square.

Radiant-Historia-battle-system.gif

(GIF from DS Version)​

Another unique feature of this system is the Change command. By using it, you can manipulate the turn order of both allies and enemies to set yourself up for the perfect succession of moves. Using Change to your advantage can earn you massive combos!

Brand new to this 3DS version, your teammates who are not currently participating in battle can jump in and help out with a support skill! While their appearance is random, they will not spend any MP. Each character has their own unique skills that will be used.

rh_newn8kkf.jpg
In this 3DS remaster's new Possible Histories, Stocke meets a new, mysterious character named Nemesia who teaches him about the world's history and unlocks a third timeline to explore the ripple effect of some of his actions with episodic what-if scenarios. In this timeline, Stocke can searches for Artifacts—mystic relics that hold the key to the continent's desertification. You will witness all kinds of scenarios that never got to play out in the original timelines, such as Rosch being promoted to General.

Other additions and changes:
  • Redesigned character art
  • New character voiceovers (can be turned off)
  • Additional difficulty settings (Friendly Mode + Deadly Near Death free DLC)
  • New party member support skills
  • DLC
This title also features both the classic original and an exhilarating new story through Perfect and Append modes. Append mode allows you to beat the original game before having the option to start a New Game+ with the added content, while Perfect mode lets you play through the game with the inclusion of the new content from the beginning.

~ Friendly Mode ~
Polygon said:
Chronology's Friendly mode allows you to simply bypass all these battles, and in doing so it greatly improves the overall experience. In the original Historia, you could attack an enemy on the field before entering battle to gain first-round initiative. In Friendly mode, striking a foe outside of combat instantly defeats them, granting you all the experience and cash you'd normally earn in battle. By removing all those constant, protracted fights from the picture, Chronology allows you to focus entirely on the story. This does wonders for the game's most arduous sequences. Skimming past combat keeps the pace brisk and lively even when you find yourself struggling to advance the story.
It might seem a shame to cut Historia's excellent battle mechanics completely out of the picture. That's what makes Friendly especially great: You don't have to remove combat altogether. If you like, you can fight enemies properly rather than simply defeating them with a preemptive strike. Plus, certain plot-critical battles (along with all enemy encounters in one of Chronology's new side stories, the Vault of Time) can't be avoided: Some combat is required no matter what. Friendly mode doesn't abandon its RPG elements; it simply allows players to focus on exploring the story without the burden of constant distractions.
Source Article

rh_dlcrdj5l.jpg
(Dates and prices for North America)

February 13, 2018:

• Bathing in Mana ($3.99) fan service event with an extra boss battle and characters showing up to swim
  • Chibi Art Pack ($2.49) character portraits with chibi art
  • Classic Art Pack ($2.49) makes character portraits look like those from the original Nintendo DS game
  • Consumable Growth Ring ($1.99) to gain more EXP
  • Consumable Mole Armlet ($1.99) to gain more money
  • Deadly Near Death free difficulty level
February 20, 2018:
  • Rage of the Fallen ($2.49) adventure in which Stocke can rescue Aht and Marco in New Granorg
  • Under the Moonlight ($2.49) adventure in which Stocke conducts a New Granorg investigation with Eruca and Rainey
February 27, 2018:
  • Hunting Corridor ($2.49) dungeon with an item that boosts character parameters
  • Meeting in the Chasm ($2.49) adventure that focuses on Nemesia
  • Settling the Score ($2.49) adventure that has Stocke fighting seven bosses with Rosch and Gafka
rh_media3gk6b.jpg

3ds_radianthistoriapeqbknb.jpg
3ds_radianthistoriapexpkpg.jpg

3ds_radianthistoriapekyk3a.jpg
3ds_radianthistoriapebajgq.jpg

3ds_radianthistoriape1lk1l.jpg
3ds_radianthistoriapec4kk0.jpg

muy8qbofdtmh_fsmimzgs9gj4i.jpg
bs4d7jh6.png
bs31dki4.png
ew3kyj3x.png

bs2kqkcx.png
bs110kah.png

tumblr_ol06b7QA1f1w3cbrmo1_400.gif

Last edited:

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Thank you for the great OT. I've been playing it and enjoying the writing a lot so far. I just wish I had DLC access to get the original portraits.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, it is almost time. Playing the demo reminded me how much I enjoyed the original game's story and also how much I had forgotten. It almost feels like I am playing the game for the first time.

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
I've heard many great things about this.

Looking forward to it whenever I get to it lol

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Forgot I ordered this, coming tomorrow. Gonna pull my 3DS off the shelf to play it sometime soon hopefully.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still need to beat the original version, but damn is it slow.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Is the game retranslated? I felt like it was when I played the demo but I don't have any actual comparisons.

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Really cool OT.
Liked the pictures and videos you used on the post.

The demo totally sold me on the game.
I expect to get a physical copy this week but Atlus game stock in Europe is usually low so i hope amazon can get my order done.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Stockes new portrait isn't as bad as I thought. It looks horrible on the game cover but in game its fine.

Eruca's is just tragic and such a bizarre change. Why does she need a completely different look?

Anyway I'm still on the fence about buying this since I finished the original last year and don't see anything big enough to grab this one. I loved the original so much and it's still great to look at.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really excited for this now. The portraits turned me off initially but I got it for less than $30 from that Amazon price ages ago AND I can play through with limited battles and just enjoy the story, since I couldn't stand the battle system much when I played about 10 hours of the DS original before giving up.
Thanks for the OT! :)

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Oh nice, I'm so accustomed to 3DS games coming out on Thursday or Friday that I just assumed this would, too. I guess I'll have a nice surprise waiting for me tomorrow.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
So, sorry for asking in the OT, but I couldn't find an answer anywhere else:
is there the launch edition in EU? It was supposed to for a while, but I can't find any retailer selling it, and Deep Silver/Atlus won't reply any questions about it on twitter either...

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Ahh I just started Tales of Berseria and logged 13 hours already so I'm not gonna drop it, but I've wanted to play this since it was on DS and then shot up in resale price.

Have to remember to get this down the road.

OP
OP
TheMoon

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So, sorry for asking in the OT, but I couldn't find an answer anywhere else:
is there the launch edition in EU? It was supposed to for a while, but I can't find any retailer selling it, and Deep Silver/Atlus won't reply any questions about it on twitter either...
no
deep silver doesn't do that stuff. they just have the the mini artbook in the case, like with 7th Dragon VFD
PS_3DS_RadiantHistoriaPerfectChronology_enGB.jpg

I'm really excited for this now. The portraits turned me off initially but I got it for less than $30 from that Amazon price ages ago AND I can play through with limited battles and just enjoy the story, since I couldn't stand the battle system much when I played about 10 hours of the DS original before giving up.
Thanks for the OT! :)
waaaat, it's the best battle system.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Blah, it's really disappointing. Thanks for the confirmation, and a shame that we lost NISA for Deep Silver's current treatment of Sega/Atlus games.

I'd say it's worth it for not having to wait 3 months+ anymore, although I'm not sure if that was down to NISA or Atlus

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Prolly won't pick this up until thursday so I can grab it and Secret of Mana at the same time instead of going out twice but I'm pumped all the same! That demo was something really great. So many people say rpg demos are always bad but apparently not the ones I've tried cause they always sell me on the game! Wonder what the "full quality" audio sounds like an if I'll even be able to tell the difference between what the demo sounded like?

Enrico25

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I never played this but it sounds so fun.
Should I start with Perfect or Append mode?

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Great OT, Moon! Thanks for clarifying the release date in that other thread. Can't wait to play and share my experiences with all of you!

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
OT looks great! Picking this game up tomorrow will be my first time playing. Pretty excited to try it out!
the OT title has somehow triggered memories of the Samurai Jack opening for me

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is going to be my first time playing through this game and I have to fly across the country next week so this is perfect.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I just realized how slow I am with JRPGs, I think I put 4 hours and I barely advanced.

I did my first big decision

I went with Heiss instead of Rosch because I wanted to know what Heiss has in mind, he's very interesting so far

and now I am trudging through.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Have I said how much I hate Atlus' style of RPG DLC? Because I do, and this is doing nothing to change my mind.

It's all so inconsequential and overpriced. And then there's tacky stuff like selling XP/gold cheats.

Lorcain

Oct 27, 2017
I was really surprised to see it sold out on Amazon (US). I ended up ordering at Best Buy for pickup. Looking forward to trying the battle system. I never played the original.

Dad

Oct 25, 2017
My copy from Amazon still hasn't shipped. Hopefully they don't cancel on me. This is one I've been wanting to try for a while

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I had no idea this was coming out. Geez. I really have fallen off following gaming news, haven't I.

I enjoyed the original but dropped it near the end. I could use another solid Atlus RPG, but there are also other things I want to spend time on. Decisions, decisions...

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Received my Amazon copy today. It's been a while since they shipped my game before the release day.
(Kind of a shame the dlc shop only opens tomorrow, i really wanted to buy the classic art pack when starting,
even through i'm still not sure if the classic art dlc is lower-res than the newer art if they simply ported the DS assets. Anyone knows?)

Thoraxes

Oct 25, 2017
Gehenna
My copy shipped from Amazon.

Will probably hop onto this sooner rather than later, as i've not played this one yet.

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
Loved this on DS and I'm ready to jump back in tomorrow. Already put 6.5 hours into the demo over the weekend.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember where I got to in the DS one.

Long story short, Stocke is able to see what one timeline is like as a soldier under his commander buddy, and in the other timeline Stocke is a spy for who is basically the game's version of James Bond's M?

I thought that was how the game initially made you play it. Combat v Covert.

Really liked it, have been reading about this 3DS version with interest.

toadfrawg

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really bummed about the continuing trend of 3DS games not having '3D'. I've never played this so I will pick it up, but I hope Strange Journey remake has the 3D effect.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
My heart sank reading that there is no Sterescopic 3D. I was excited for that.

That said, does friendly mode also rebalance the difficulty? Or is just giving the player the option to skip fights with pre-emotive strikes? I don't want to use it if it means forced combat is a sleepwalk comparatively to normal mode.

Deleted member 26293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Heard good things about this one, i'm very excited to finally play it...actually, i might as well start the demo while i wait.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Nice work with the thread & title. It's a great game and I hope more people find it now.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Nice OT!

I'm on the fence about getting Perfect Chronology or buying the original version, but if I'm able to buy the original portraits I might as well go for PC. One question, though: can you disable the voice acting? If not, that might be a deal-breaker.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Nice OT!

I'm on the fence about getting Perfect Chronology or buying the original version, but if I'm able to buy the original portraits I might as well go for PC. One question, though: can you disable the voice acting? If not, that might be a deal-breaker.

Yeah you can but the voice acting is very good in my opinion.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Great OT!

Will be picking this up today after work, as I want to get the launch edition. But probably won't be starting it for awhile as there are too many games on my backlog. It will be added to it, for now.

Oct 25, 2017
So what is the verdict on the Hard mode? Is it actually reasonable to do if you're doing the side content as you go, or is it far too steep?

I got about half of the way through the OG version, so I get the basics.