• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
He does not have a PS3. I would assume part of the reason he bought it is the semi-mythical status the 3DS game had.

Jon and I are the only crazy people with everything.

GuillaumeNWR

Feb 19, 2018
I've kind of recently mentioned my PS3, maybe that's where the confusion comes from. Our accents are so similar.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Finally caught back up again after falling behind for a few weeks!

And curse me for doing so, because it meant I missed out on getting use out of Greg mentioning that Japanese (3DS) eshop sale! I really need to get an actual source for alerting me about such things, rather than just turning the thing on and checking every once in a blue moon...

Also, emailed you guys again, so hopefully this one makes it through!

Oh, and just a random comment that Gui let slip: he said DQVIII 3DS was a worse version, IIRC, but the general consensus I've seen is despite the graphics taking a hit, all the additions and changes actually make that version the one to go with by a good degree. (Also, I firmly disagree with the continued Kid Icarus: Uprising slander! Best game on 3DS, with an amazing control scheme that actually WAS highly customizable... it just wouldn't let you turn on weak-ass dual analogue that would be waaaaaaaaaaaay too slow to keep up on the higher difficulties. (Though I'm pretty sure I've already had this rant in one of these threads before, and it's actually cool, haha. Not actually mad, just wanted to throw back that jab!))

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
In atonement for my error above (in which I stated that Greg did not have a PS3 - it's covered on this week's show), I will have my Bills fan friend treat me like a member of the Bills Mafia by way of a powerbomb through a table.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/48265/episode-588-the-thousand-year-reign-of-scrooge-mcduck

New Business: Mega Man 11 demo, Ducktales (via Disney Afternoon Why Is This Not On Switch Collection), The Messenger, James gets NWR sued by a former future CFL quarterback (it makes sense in context)
Listener Mail: Pushing off from Mr. Game and Watch's Smash appearances, why not launch on Switch 2nd, why Starcraft II isn't happening on Switch
Outro: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - Cave Theme
Emails: You can't be any worse than "Me-Mail"

Downloads; MP3 | AAC
Time: 2'00"17

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Hey, there's a thread? Awesome! I absolutely love this show. Been listening for several years now.

Shoutout to the always lovely crew, and John!

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I didn't realize there was a thread but it's good to know! Hilarious episode this week and that Xenoblade Battle Theme is crazy good.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Because everything is better on Switch, this week's New Business has a bit of a theme.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/48427/episode-590-hardware-sales-viewed-from-above

New Business: Broken Sword 5 (review), NES games on Switch Online, Thunder Force IV (because Greg got the good name), Mantis Burn Racing
Listener Mail: Smash 20th vs Game Boy 30th, Superman as a stealth game
Outro: Intro - The Guardian Legend
Emails: Sadly, your email will not produce wacky chapter art #ThanksApple

Downloads: MP3 | AAC
Time: 2'14"47

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Some odd selections this week, including references to the Black Sox.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/48526/episode-591-the-funk-will-do-that-to-you

New Business: Velocity 2X (Switch), Dragon Quest... VIII, Framed Collection, Jon vs. Super Mario Bros 3 part LXIX, A Case of Distrust (review)
Listener Mail: Which early 2019 remake is right for you, going long on short RPGs, Romance of the Three Kingdoms sucks
Outro: Pokemon HG/SS - Battle Champion / Red
Emails: Bring on the Starlink fanfics

Download: MP3 | AAC
Time: 2'12"38

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Only 9 more episodes till episode 600! Started the podcast around 490 and went back from there. Hard to believe 100 episodes have passed since episode 500.

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
We're actually working on what 600 should be. Leading candidate is we roll a retroactive that week, just to shake it up. Let us know if you have any ideas. Thankfully, I think we grew out of the "Oh man 200 episodes, we should have a big audio party for ourselves," but I'd love to know what listeners want us to do.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
We're actually working on what 600 should be. Leading candidate is we roll a retroactive that week, just to shake it up. Let us know if you have any ideas. Thankfully, I think we grew out of the "Oh man 200 episodes, we should have a big audio party for ourselves," but I'd love to know what listeners want us to do.

I really liked the Nintendo DS episode you had at episode 200. Maybe it's time for a 3DS episode?

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Oh, I see we're taking advantage of the fact that the FF7 to Switch news set Yamauchi spinning at Mach 4.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/48554/episode-592-the-summer-of-love-made-yamauchi-smile

New Business: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna ~ The Golden Country, Dead Cells, Forza Horizon 4, Wheels of Aurelia
Listener Mail: Features for Switch online, more PC -> Switch, games of defective memory
Outro: City of Tears - Hollow Knight
Emails: I might send in an anonymous email about how if I find out you can't get the traditional starters in Let's Go I'm cancelling my preorder

Download: Here
Time: 2'14"22

Last edited:

Dingens

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
is the 3ds actually dead enough though?
I don't recall perfectly, but I remember the WiiU and Wii and DS being A LOT deader when their retrospectives hit?
Or maybe I'm misremembering things?

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
is the 3ds actually dead enough though?
I don't recall perfectly, but I remember the WiiU and Wii and DS being A LOT deader when their retrospectives hit?
Or maybe I'm misremembering things?
If the DS episode was No. 200 and the podcast started in the aftermath of E3 2006, the DS episode would have happened around late 2010, in the run-up to the 3DS's release. I remember feeling like the DS had plenty left in the tank and not being super keen on buying into a new system, whereas now the 3DS is getting older ports. If anything, we're overdue for a retrospective.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
I sometimes think that having the episode title be a quote from the episode ruins a joke because you know it's coming, but I was not prepared for the delivery of this week's title.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I re-listened to episode 200. It really took me back, I have to say. The dying days of the GBA were when I really started following video games again, so hearing an eight year old recording talking about it like it was ancient history made it feel extra antiquated. The market shift for casual games from handheld to mobile hadn't happened yet either, so it was a little weird hearing the crew talk about how the DS changed things forever.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
As always, the episode title makes sense in context.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/48632/episode-593-moby-and-the-special-place-in-hell

New Business: Wipeout Omega Collection, Octopath Traveler (early game), Hori D-Pad Joycon, Jackbox Party Pack 4, Sushi Striker (3DS), Dragon Quest VIII (3DS), Mega Man 11
Listener Mail: Games that didn't reach their potential, games that overarchieved
Outro: Luigi's Mansion - End Credits
Emails: Unneeded Alias is the new market inefficiency

Time: 2'23"17

NEXT RETROACTIVE: The Punch-Out Series - Episode 600

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
TECHNICALLY SPEAKING Super Punch-Out!! is the focus but it's a pretty much anything goes ethos on this podcast

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Take a drink every time Guillaume says "you know" (especially) during his explanation of Jackbox Party Pack 4.

Just water, of course...

Perhaps a bit mean of me to post, I like his insights but it can be difficult to follow at times.

GuillaumeNWR

Feb 19, 2018
Of course, the official RFN recommendation is that people track down a copy of Fight Night Round 2 on GameCube and play it there.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
An extended lightning storm this week.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/48679/episode-594-timely-states-of-undress

Listener Mail: Game breaking bugs, remastered remasters: handheld edition, New Switch, rebuying the Wii U?, a question whose own example violates the terms of the question (courtesy of Syrenne)
New Business: Overcooked 2, Hollow Knight
Outro: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Battle (the best battle theme in Final Fantasy history, FIGHT ME).
Emails: Send in your Punch-Out thoughts, or at least provide an example that doesn't break your own rules.

Time: 2'07"22

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The #1 spot for all your hotttest takes on DSiWare. Hey, it's better than 100 Hour Work Week Horse Game*.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/48739/episode-595-nuts-about-ninjago

New Business: Diablo III (not Switch, but soon to be best on Switch), Space Invaders Extreme Z, ZombiiU, Lone Survivor, Hollow Knight
Listener Mail: Loving bad games, LEGO abuse, who else to inflict 100 hour weeks on
Outro: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - Different Persons
Emails: Here

Time: 2'18"01

Next live show: Midday on December 1

* show recorded Thursday night, so your RDR2 session will be next week at the earliest

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
As promised/threatened, this podcast contains discussion of the genitalia of horses for about 25 minutes starting at the hour mark. Viewer discretion is advised.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/48837/episode-596-calling-loquacious

New Business: Reigns: Kings and Queens, Octopath Traveler, Sushi Striker, Dead Cells, 100 Hour Work Week Horse Game
Second Segment: "Mr. Sakurai, I don't feel so good..."
Outro: Super Smash Bros for Wii U - Chill (Version 2)
Emails: Is Luigi, DK Jr, or Ken the original echo fighter? Answers on a postcard

Time: 2'13"24

Live show: December 1, 1 pm Eastern / 10 am PT

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
You never want to hear the phrase "James Jones plumbing emergency".
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/48875/episode-597-newborn-baby-virtual-boy

New Business: The Nintendo of Canada event, Battle Chef Brigade, Dead Cells, Diablo III
Listener Mail: Genres missing in the past, PlayStation "Classic", giving up collections, whither the Smash demo
Outro: Undertale - Spider Dance
Emails: Speak now or forever hold your wild Arcanine

Time: 2'07"10
Reminder: Live show December 1, 1 pm ET for episode 600, including discussion of the Punch-Out series focused on Super

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
listening to the new episode, I am not happy that one Mister James Jones has given a hard no to Gui's catchphrase, it worked fine :(

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
I'm trying to keep him looking. He shouldn't settle for the first catch phrase that comes up. He deserves a catch phrase that loves him back

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
A title that they've probably used already but would be way better than the brain bleach inducing one: "Oops! All emails!"
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/48980/episode-599-tingles-line-of-fetish-wear

Listener Mail: How to be the uncle who works at Nintendo, Shy Guy naming, good Zelda dungeons, doubleplusungood Smash DLC, retro collections
Official announcement of Episode 600: Here (the audio link will be there)
Outro: Pictionary (NES) - Title Theme (suggested by Zonic... really?)
Emails: Possibly getting on 600!

Time: 1'45"13

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Hooray, my suggestion was used again. Probably will be a while before I listen to this due to taking a week off work, but least part of my email that I sent was used.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
For RFN's Birthday: please inundate social media with the suggestion that Punch-Out!! Warriors is something the world wants. It's entirely possible those with the power to make it happen lack the ability to detect irony and in fact make the game.

It worked for Bubsy.
And Battletoads.
And Bubsy again...

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Watching Simpsons on the BBC was what helped me understand English. Never new it first aired on a pay per view channel.

Anyway, great 600 episode. Although the more important milestone is coming in 3 episodes. It then has been 500 episodes since the legendary episode 103

Aug 27, 2018
I'm curious about how popular RFN is, it's one of my favorite podcasts to be sure. Episode 600 was pretty great as well. I wasn't around for the Metz era but I feel like it would be weird without James as host.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious about how popular RFN is, it's one of my favorite podcasts to be sure. Episode 600 was pretty great as well. I wasn't around for the Metz era but I feel like it would be weird without James as host.
I started listening at around Episode 200 or so (I think). For the longest time, it was weird to me when Jonny Metz wasn't the host (and Jason Ricci and New Blood weren't the intro music). If you want your mind blown though, go listen to the early Karl & Evan days - it's bizarro world.