• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.

Radio Free Nintendo | OT | A New Era In Nintendo Podcasting For Grownups

OP
OP
Shaymin
Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Indie shipping wars are go!
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/50084/episode-615-tube-sliding-around-big-ape-cul-de-sac

New Business: Baba Is You, Hypnospace Outlaw, Gris, Castlevania, various combinations of Wonder/Monster/Boy/Land, the impending Konami collections
Listener Mail: Give Tom Happ Metroid (or at least Next Level Games Prime 4), where's the raw telethon audio
Outro: Final Fantasy VII - Oppressed People
Emails: Let them know you want a 14 hour MP3

Download: Here
Time: 2:14:26

Oct 29, 2017
Just some business, we're looking for recommended games that fall into one of two buckets:

• Zelda-likes: games that clearly "borrow" from 2D Zelda games
  • Handheld 2D Zelda games: ...2D handheld...Zelda...games
Normal RetroActive rules apply. Game must be currently available digitally OR procurable for less than $20 American on GB/A, GameCube, Wii/U 3/DS.

Game Boy era stuff not available digitally is up for consideration, but we might punt. I'll take recommendations for it so we can think it through.

Oct 25, 2017
Just some business, we're looking for recommended games that fall into one of two buckets:

• Zelda-likes: games that clearly "borrow" from 2D Zelda games
  • Handheld 2D Zelda games: ...2D handheld...Zelda...games
Normal RetroActive rules apply. Game must be currently available digitally OR procurable for less than $20 American on GB/A, GameCube, Wii/U 3/DS.

Game Boy era stuff not available digitally is up for consideration, but we might punt. I'll take recommendations for it so we can think it through.
Do Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks count as 2D? Not enough people have played Spirit Tracks. Otherwise it’s always a good time to replay Minish Cap or even the Oracle games. Enough people might have the Four Swords game Nintendo released for free on the DSi shop to make that a worthwhile discussion - it’s worth going through even in single player.

Then there’s the BS Zelda recreation that’s available on some corners of the Internet.

If these were available digitally, I would nominate The Guardian Legend and Robo Warrior for NES as well as Terranigma and Goof Troop for the SNES.

Edit:

Thinking about it some more, Crystalis and Neutopia were both well regarded back in the day. I don’t know how available it is (and it’s technically a 3D Zelda), but Okamiden on DS was pretty good.

Jun 20, 2018
Too bad there aren't any legal options to play treasure Island (snes). It's a early Eiji Aonuma game and feels like a traditional 2d Zelda game.

OP
OP
Shaymin
Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Totally clears the host. THANK YOU!
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/50138/episode-616-waluigis-russian-troll-farm

Listener Mail: The games only they want (James/Greg/Gui), missing pieces of Nintendo lore, non-Rare Replay Xbox games for Switch, design your Spirit Battle, ports vs new games
New Business: Umihara Kawase Fresh! (Demo, JP eShop), Horizon Chase Turbo, Blaster Master Zero 2
Outro: Fort Course - Yoshi's Woolly World
Emails: Five emails means the box needs a-fillin'
Retroactive: VOTE NOW! Candidates: Neutopia II (Wii U VC), Crystalis (SNK 40th Anniversary Collection), Landstalker (Sega Genesis Classics), The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages (3DS VC), The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Wii U VC and your local bomba bin). Brigaders will be shot, survivors shot again. Voting closes April 11.

Time: 2'23"12

Out of context quote of the week from James: "...kink-shame Goombas all day long"

Oct 25, 2017
Some great games in that poll. Although, if you really wanted to play a not-Zelda, I would have made them their own separate RetroActive. Putting a real Zelda game in there, even a verifiably terrible one like Wand of Gamelon, will all but guarantee all the votes go there.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks that Spirit Tracks probably won’t win, more people need to experience the best version of Zelda (the character) in the series.

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks that Spirit Tracks probably won’t win, more people need to experience the best version of Zelda (the character) in the series.
OoS/OoA was always pretty popular. Unfortunately, it means it’ll outshine a game that will lead to the more interesting discussion

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017
I haven’t played any of the games in the poll, I’ll jump in with you guys on whichever is the winner.

As as Sega fan, Voted for Landstalker just to piss off James as he seemed to love the name during the last episode.

I hope it’s one of the non Zelda’s that win, but if it is a Zelda an excuse to download Spirit Tracks and dust off the Wii U would be cool.

Oct 29, 2017
We spent 20 minutes off-air this week discussing all the ways the sequel's title is terrible.

Lady Stalker: Challenge from the Past

Oct 25, 2017
We spent 20 minutes off-air this week discussing all the ways the sequel's title is terrible.

Lady Stalker: Challenge from the Past
Oh that's just a joke you guys came up wi....THAT'S REAL?!

Then it turns out there's a "third" game on Dreamcast called "Time Stalkers", or "Climax Landers" in Japan, where it's a roguelike RPG that's a crossover of previous Climax Entertainment's games, i.e. Landstalker.

Also the main character's name is "Sword", I'm not kidding.

OP
OP
Shaymin
Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Oct 25, 2017
Spirit Tracks won the poll! I honestly expected James to announce an Oracles games double-retroactive. I haven’t replayed the game in (I think) about eight years, but I do have some tips for the unwary:

• When doing the flute stuff, there’s this delay between when the camera first pans to the pipes and when you need to start blowing into the mic. There is a second set of cues for when you actually have to start and nothing you do before this second cue happens will count. This is, I think, where lots of people got tripped up at the time of release.
  • You don’t need to actually blow into the mic to get the system to register that you’ve blown into the mic. All you need do is have the mic register a noise. On the original hardware, for instance, you could rub the mic with your finger and it’d work. At time of release I played on the bus and the noise of traffic was enough to keep the “blowing” status engaged.
  • There is never a song where silence is part of the sequence, so a white noise clip on YouTube might work

OP
OP
Shaymin
This week's is an all-Listener Mail show.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/50266/episode-618-collecting-our-baftas

Subjects: Telling the Direct hounders where to get off, the game they'll get told about repeatedly, Fake or Real: Mario Kart Knockoff Edition, (break), franchises who need VR updates, doing a Thanos on game composers (and not taking the opportunity to nuke the Dragon Quest composer on general principles)
Outro: Fire Emblem Echoes Shadows of Valentia - Lord of a Dead Empire
Emails: Please keep war crime denial to a minimum

Time: 2'08"22

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I thought my email got chosen when I saw the VR question, but ah well, at least the question got answered in the end.

Also kinda glad Spirit Tracks got picked since I feel like it's gonna lead to a more interestinf revisit over the GBC games since those still hold up rather well where as the DS games....well, since they tried new things, it's more interesting to look back on them.

Jun 20, 2018
Kinda disappointed that Spirit tracks won. The Oracle games are legit fun to play and I was looking forward to playing Seasons. For a while the GBC duo even had a healthy lead.

Zelda SS on the the other hand I don't really feel like replaying. Part of me wonders some people only voted on that game to make the RFN cast suffer. It's absolutely not a bad game but not a game that warrants a replay

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
We got a few VR-related questions. I don't think we've answered all, or even most of them. I think our hope was to do way more email, but some of them - especially the VR one (and the trivia) - went longer than expected. More VR will be talked about. Cardboard will be commented on.

This RetroActive was one of those ones that was going to disappoint somebody, regardless of the winner. I personally wanted to stray further from the trail, so I totally sympathize.

Keeping in mind, I actually really liked the DS Zelda games - certainly much more than I do Link Between Worlds. I think there's interesting insights to be drawn from how they built these game and how they evolved the format from Phantom Hourglass, and hopefully we make an interesting conversation for all of you. And hopefully we get a lot of participation.

Normally, I'd stream a bunch of gameplay, but I'm planning to dig out my old...New DS XL. So that's a non-starter. I think I'll still do some TG-16 stuff soon. I'm weirdly attracted to that silly thing.

I think for the next RetroActive I might pull-rank and just pick. I have a few I'd love to do.

We're all playing Jelly Boy!