• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
Patreon provides a custom RSS feed you can put into pocket casts. Should be (should) on the top right.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
We get into the hardware weeds a bit this week.

New Business: Joycon drift, Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls, Blazing Chrome, The Messenger, Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka With Love
Listener Mail: PC Engine Mini feat. JJ and Jeff vs Genesis Mini feat. Ghouls and Ghosts, Nintendo gig economy backgrounds, a farewell to ARMS
Outro: Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy - Main Theme
Emails: Give Like Like a 1* review, please: dude ate my shield

Download: Here
Time: 2'11"05
Status of Jon "The Conduit Is An 8.5" Lindemann: Out

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Present your applications for which host would be in which house below. Syrenne and Jon guest star.

New Business: Fire Emblem: Three Houses (contains spoilers, runs to the 40 minute mark), Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Judgment, Castlevania Anniversary Collection, Ocarina of Time 3D, Blazing Chrome, "Greg's JRPG Backlog" (Persona Q2, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE), "Guillaume's Demo Derby" (Ape Out, Songbird Symphony, Oninaki)
Listener Mail: The Shame of Gaming, Boxart in the Upside Down
Outro: Mother 1+2 - Wisdom of the World
Emails: Next week is heavily mail focused

Time: 2'09"33

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm saw everyone has already seen this but at least one good thing came out of the bad Fire Emblem box art which is how the voice actor for Claude announced his role:

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
It's the thrilling follow-up to Why Is Syrenne: "Why Is Mario?"

Listener Mail: Why is Mario, Nintendo Mobile, the cost of Switch ownership is huge, Lu Bu's inevitable Smash appearance, sequels fixing their predecessor
New Business: Hero in Smash, R-Type DImensions EX, Judgment
Outro: Mighty Switch Force - Caught Red Handed
Emails: My lawyers have advised me not to comment on the outright stupidity of the ESA.

Time: 2'07"38

Announcements:
- Mini vacation next week, 635 coming in two weeks
- Next Retroactive is Crimson Shroud for the 3DS. Due date for comments is August 22.

Last edited:

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man! Crimson Shroud!

My US-region 3DS died (goodnight sweet prince), so it'll be difficult for me to play along, but I have such good memories of that game (and killing so many skeletons). It was a short lived experience, but I'd have loved a full game in that vein.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
This week, we get invaded by r/FEHquelmemes

Out: Guillaume (50th anniversary party)

New Business: Fire Emblem: Three Houses, No Man's Sky Next, Blazing Chrome, Captain Todd, XMultiply
Listener Mail: Fighting games on Switch (because Smash Bros is a party game), Switch Lite sales potential, box art analysis, change a localization decision
Outro: Trials of Mana - Where Angels Fear To Tread
Emails: As a reminder, if you have hot takes on Crimson Shroud they're due Thursday

Time: 2'24"37
Jar Jar Binks quotes: 2

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Today's musical choice is from a famous 43.

New Business: Daemon X Machina (James's review), Travis Strikes Again, Gears 5, Super Nintendo Entertainment System on Nintendo Switch Online, Celeste DLC, alleged Smash DLC 3
Listener Mail: Being too negative, The Capcom Callout (TM), making it on like Donkey Kong, remasters
Outro: Devil's Third - Bleed Out
Emails: I think we're good on shaving emails

Time: 2'17"53

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Greg and I must be kindred spirits when it comes to Platinum games because I just wrapped up listening to 641 and every word he spoke about Astral Chain during the first segment and Bayonetta 1/2 in the second segment echoed my sentiments on the nose.

I very much do hope there is an Astral Chain 2 because that game has great ideas and ambition, and if they learned through experience to focus on the best ones, and improve upon or minimize the worst ones (much as Bayonetta 2 did) it would be a phenomenal product.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
James is back from Portland just as the retro gaming expo kicks off.

New Business: Portland, Link's Awakening (Switch), Yooka-Laylee And The Impossible Lair, Mario Kart 11... er, Tour, Unravel Two
Listener Mail: "naming your child after deceased friends", can you really call it Smash Ultimate without Coin Battle
Outro: The Lost Vikings 2 - Smuggler's Cove
Emails: Join the suit against the most blatant false advertising since The Neverending Story

Time: 2'33"55

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Greg steps away and the inbox is light, so we end up breaking down why Virtual Console is dead and gone.

New Business: Return of the Obra Dinn, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Switch, pre-patch), a Johnny Turbo Arcade/Arcade Archives grab bag
Second segments: 20 Questions and a review guessing game
Outro: Splatterhouse - The Saint Comes Marching In
Emails: In which you can present your (wrong) theory about Terry being the fourth bit of Smash DLC

Download: MP3
Time: 2'17"58

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Brunire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Inspired outro choice lol. James, you probably checked it out afterwards but the Kyo spirit fight probably represents Kyo's original hero team with Goro Daimon (huge judo master), Benimaru (electricity attacks) and of course Kyo with fire.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to listen to this week's podcast while going to the London Pokemon Centre today, and that mad discussion about Columns was just what I needed to take my mind off standing in line for three hours.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
James was stuck at work with a bad mic, while Jon was DNP - Old. Syrenne guest stars.

New Business: New Super Lucky's Tale, The Jackbox Party Pack 6, Luigi's Mansion 3, Persona Q2 (ending spoilers), What Is Taito?, the "joys" of switching Wii Us in 20-goddamn-19
Listener Mail: Whether I should have reviewed Pokémon, unconventional introductions, going back to the old
Outro: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Namco Arcade 80's Retro Medley
Emails: "Normal" service to resume soon

Time: 2'10"57

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
New setup for James, Jon still out, show still has two Canadians as David Lloyd bellies up to a different bar.

New Business: Pokémon Shield, The Outer Worlds, saving Yoshi's Cookie, Milkmaid of the Milky Way, Luigi's Mansion 3, Mr. Goemon (Archives), Shusse Ozumo (Archives)
Listener Mail: Creating odd experiences, how difficulty affects fun
Outro: Donkey Kong Country - The Credit Concerto
Emails: Convince Gui that it's worth it (or not) to try and save Wii Mode.

Time: 2'34"07

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Live from the QE2 (Health Sciences Centre), Jon plays the role of his own Wally Pipp and returns to the show.

New Business: Ori and the Blind Forest (Definitive Edition), Pokemon Sword and Shield, Grandia HD Collection, New Super Lucky's Tale, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night patch 1, Link's Awakening HD, Super Mario Maker 2 Link Update, the upcoming NES/SNES Switch Online additions
Listener Mail: The value of Switch Online
Outro: Smash Ultimate - F-Zero Medley
Emails: Send to the brave unknown future (for Greg)

Time: 2'23"12

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I've been listening for ten minutes and the stereotypes are already killing me.

Listener Mail: Set Pokémon in your home area, freaking Miyamoto out, more on the value of retro games
New Business: Ys: The Oath in Felghana/Ys VIII, Sega Ages Phantasy Star, Shovel Knight: King of Cards
Outro: Super Smash Bros Ultimate - Departure from South Town (KoF XIV)
Emails: Seize the means of production

Time: 2'32"51

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
I have worked out the reason for the new Bravely game's title AND what the late game title change will be.
Everyone is assuming that the game is called Bravely Default II, but near the end of the game it will be revealed that those aren't roman numerals in the title. This is actually Bravely Default 11 and the events of this game have already happened ten times previously in time loops.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
So the next game will be....Bravely Default V3?

(How many people will even understand that reference?)

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I'm not touching this week's title with a FORKLIFT, he says returning from PoliERA...

New Business: Phantasy Star update, Demon's Tilt (soon to Switch), Dragon Quest XI S has an ending, Shovel Knight: King of Cards, Shovel Knight Showdown
Listener Mail: Where's the last game from the Switch launch event (SMT V), Nintendo's best year of the decade, Pokémon Platinum Ultimate, murder mysteries
Outro: Travis Strikes Again - Come To Me
Emails: Will be answered in 2020

Time: 2'31"51
Note: No show next week because of Boxing Day, see you in 2020.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh cool, seems like my email was used.

...it seems the key is to make up silly jokes involving the name of the podcast. Looking forward to hearing this Monday night during work.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Sadly, we have to wait for next week's show to find out if Greg is over the emotional bends of a Buffalo OT loss and being able to count out Touchdown Tom.

New Business (whole show): The Gardens Between, Pokémon Sword/Shield, Darius Cozmic Collection, James's Kusoge Corner feat. Mega Man X6, Kitty Love, Downwell, Phantasy Star endgame, KUUKIYOMI: Consider It
Outro: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV - Neon Night Riders
Email: Send in your Glitter Metroid predictions

Time: 1'48"49

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Jon is absent, and James is already miffed about Pokémon Mystery Dungeon.

New Business: Ys VIII, Space Invaders news, New Super Lucky's Tale, Guacamelee 2
Second half: Pokémon Direct + top 5s for the year
Outro: Battle! (Gym Leader) - Pokémon Sword and Shield
Emails: RETROACTIVE ALERT!! Send in takes on Rhythm Thief & The Emperor's Treasure (3DS) - it's on sale until Thursday.

Time: 2'47"02

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
I subscribe to the Nintendo Mobile youtube channel for the Fire Emblem Heroes and Dragalia Lost updates and this unfortunately means that I get to see Dr Mario World videos in my subscription feed too, so I can inform you all that Dr Fire Mario and Dr Fire Peach are the most recent characters Nintendo has scraped from the bottom of the barrel for that game.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Metal Mario
Dr. Ice Mario
Dr. Cat Mario
New Super Dr. Santa Mario

Might have something to say about Rhythm Thief, need to remind myself to play it between TMS #FE.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the whole "Xbox trending in Japan thanks to Sakurai" & the boost of exposure DQ11 got....yeah, Smash helps get other games noticed.

The whole Byleth discussion was on point, especially the comparison of the last characters to be revealed being Ken & Incineroar. If Byleth was the first character for the 2nd pass, it might've not been as strong of a backlash because people would probably think "okay, the first pass was all 3rd party, now it's time for the 1st party stuff". Especially when the previous 4 were 3rd party, and after outta nowhere characters like Joker & Banjo, people got their expectations high on thinking they were saving the best for last.

Also if you count Roy since he was DLC in Wii U/3DS, this will be the THIRD FE character that's DLC. That probably doesn't help.

...Fire Emblem: Three DLCs.