• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The most insulting DLC in Radiant Historia 3DS isn't the art, it's the coin doubler that goes along with the "rebalanced" (gimped) economy.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/47132/episode-569-thoughts-of-your-head-underwater

Special guest: Jonny!
New Business: ayyyy Labo, Bombslinger, Graceful Explosion Machine, Stikbold, Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology, old Elder Scrolls in new ways (BC Morrowind, VR Skyrim)
Listener Mail: Let's get fiscal feat. Shuntaro Furukawa, Switch as Quality of Life
Outro: A Hero's Limits - Trauma Team
Fill the inbox: Fantasy book your Fire Emblem Heroes/Dragalia Lost crossovers

Downloads: MP3 | AAC
Time: 2'03"39

leder

Oct 25, 2017
The "Starfox vs. F-Zero" debate was interesting to me for a different reason- that these are the two nintendo franchises I most heavily associate with Sega.

Starfox is a series that was Nintendo's milquetoast answer to multiple Sega franchises that kicked nintendo's ass in the genre (Galaxy Force, Space Harrier, Panzer Dragoon, etc.) that produced, arguably, one good game ever (SF64).

F-Zero is a series whose only good game was developed by Sega Amusement Vision. But damn, what a game it was.

For my part, F-Zero wins easily. Not only because GX is one of the best home console and arcade racing games of all time, but because I'd much rather keep Captain Falcon in Smash than the Super Landmaster Bros.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The executioner's axe has fallen, though one of the candidates died of old age already. So...
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/47157/episode-570-the-super-ponzi-bros

New Business: Pinball FX3 (now at 60), Layton v Wright v the bounds of sanity, The One Yakuza 6 Segment, GEM, River City: Tokyo Rumble, Morrowind
Listener Mail: The axe, President Furukawa
Outro: 2014's Best Soundtrack - Windmill Heights
Emails: A hundred billion yen's worth

Time: 2'07"44

NEXT RETROACTIVE: Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with James, Penta Tentacles is a fantastic name.
Also it's nice to heard that's Jon's moratorium of the word fuck lasted all of two episodes.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Morrowind On The World's Most Powerful Console The Xbox One X streak ends at two.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/47198/episode-571-mandatory-hooligans

New Business: The Pinball Arcade is f**ked, Shantae: HGH GOTY edition, Sanic And Knuckles (Featuring Dante From The Devil May Cry Series), PixelJunk Monsters 2 (demo), Immortal Redneck
Second Half: Nintendo Online talk
Outro: Rainy Night - Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Emails: Thankfully do not cost $20 a year

Time: 2'11"05

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
James linked this Chart Party in the show post. If you'd like a realistic look at hitting at Ego 50 in SMB2, I suggest this one.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/47248/episode-572-nintendo-franchise-executioner

New Business: Pinball FX3, 3/4 Home, Xenoblade X (library edition), Super Mega Baseball 2, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon preview
Listener Mail: Star Fox Grand Prix and Pokemon leaks (?)
Outro: Doctor Lautrec and the Forgotten Knights - The Streets of Paris Are The Veins Of Its Heart (say what you will about the game, that's a badass name)
Emails: Get yours in before FE Switch leaks

Time: 2'06"20

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
World Wonder Number 8? And has Brother Lindemann been DELETED?
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/47302/episode-573-the-eighth-wonder-of-the-world

New Business: Fallen Legion: Rise to Glory (review), Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Gorogoa, Runner 3, digital preorders on Nintendo consoles, Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido (demo)
Listener Mail: RE7 Switch Cloud Edition, selective Nintendo amnesia, making the ESRB blush
Outro: Fallen Legion: Rise to Glory - Blood and Roses
Emails: Also, two weeks until Hatsworth is discussed

Time: 2'03"43

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
A wild LINDEMANN appears! Go, Pokemon Speculation!
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/47354/episode-574-game-freak-used-money-stone-on-eevee

New Business: Dark Souls Remastered, Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection, Ikaruga, Yoku's Island Express, Baobabs Mausoleum Ep.1: Ovnifagos Don't Eat Flamingos, Milanoir
Listener Mail: PokeMongo only pawn in financial analysis, praise for smaller levels
Outro: Yoshi's Woolly World - Yoshi and Cookies
Mails: With Hatsworth next week, there's no formal Pax SW preview

Time: 2'20"41

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
Jonny is going to be doing Nintendo E3 predictions with Easy Allies on Sunday.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
A former NWR staffer/RFN guest (Matt Walker) on an E3 stage. We've arrived.
Also, HEEEEEEEEEEERE'S JONNY!
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...nry-hatsworth-in-the-trip-to-the-shadow-realm

New Business: Mario Tennis Aces beta, Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, Yoku's Island Express, Sundered, Pixeljunk Monsters 2
James is: Still reviewing crap
Second half: Retroactive - Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure
Outro: Henry Hatsworth - Heavy Metal (The Destruction)
Mail: Skip and Shannon impressions should be kept to a minimum

Time: 2'23"18

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
A final look at PAX Southwe... er, E3 2018 this week.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/47615/episode-577-my-heart-lies-with-pac-man

New Business: The Rest of Gamescom West, Fortnite crossplay, Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion, Pac-Man CE 2 Plus ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha With Avatars (Now With New Funky Mode)
Listener Mail: Is Smash Ultimate too dependent on the past, "Canadian rules" Franchise Executioner
Outro: Main Theme - Disaster: Day of Crisis
Emails: A full(er?) round next week

Time: 2'16"08

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
I have a great idea for adding Labo to old games, a Switch port of Skyward Sword.
Having a cardboard master sword and shield are the obvious choices, but we have already seen a Labo creation that would be perfect for the game that isn't in either of the currently released sets.

JHHfwqe.gif

Imagine having to do this whenever you wanted to fly around the overworld.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, paused the episode around like the 50 minute mark and happened to see the time and was like "wait... it's still the middle of New Business?" Went all out this week, huh?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm super late on this, but just wanna say I really enjoyed the Musynx talk. As someone who looks forward to playing it (waiting for Limited Run Games to send out the PS4 copy I won) & has played a ton of rhythm games, including 80+ hours of DJMAX Respect which basically has the same type of gameplay as Musynx but with a few extra modes like 8 Button that adds the L1/R1 triggers, the explanation as to why that type of game works was great. I was in band for all of junior & high school, so hearing it put as "it's basically sheet music but on its side vertically" made something click in me because I always figured that having 6 years of band in school helped me in rhythm games somehow, but could never pinpoint how, so hearing the discussion was fascinating in that it finally seemed to put into works why I enjoy them so much.

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think I realized that these kinds of games are just sheet music until I spent time writing the review trying to describe that "zone out" moment, and realized it was indistinguishable from a good day on stage. I don't know how my fingers are hitting the notes, I'm not actively thinking about it, but it's happening.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I know, right? When I'm playing the harder songs, I can't help but wonder "man, I should have a camera to record my thumbs, how am i able to just react to all this insanity, i need to see what my hands look like." I remember getting back into DJMAX & it only took me a few days, a lot quicker than I expected, to relearn the muscle memory that I developed when I last played a game in the series about 8 years ago on the PSP. There's such a great feeling of satisfaction when you're able to full combo a song you thought was hard/would be impossible for you to nail perfectly yet you somehow did, plus just hitting that "zone" where your thumbs are basically on auto-pilot.

Either way, it was great to hear a summary of rhythm games & their enjoyment when it was so hard for me to find the words despite years of playing games in the genre. If anything, all these rhythm games coming to Switch makes me hate the fact there's no bluetooth support because the Switch's portability + wireless headphones would be a perfect combination, similar to when I'd play on my Vita, but with a bigger screen.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
It's a split episode this week, in that James's New Business split. Oh, and there's Listener Mail alongside it.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...best-wrecks-of-dr-stewarts-dream-course-vol-1

New Business: Hollow Knight (Greg), Fortnite (Jon), FE: Warriors, Overcooked, The Bridge (Gui)
Listener Mail: Iterative games, keeping the Switch's momentum, the F-Zero cast (yet I still want GTA: Mute City)
Outro: Bravely Default - Ship Soaring Through The Heavens
Emails: Suits everything but James McLeod/Dr. EAD slashfic

Time: 2'05"17

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Guaranteed 100% Octopath free, aside from James's apology.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...her-dryer-time-machine-2-it-never-gets-better

New Business: Shining Resonance Refrain, Mario + Rabbids wrapup, The Next Penelope, Sonic Mania Plus, Mega Man Legacy Collection (1)
Listener Mail: Sending games back in time, "DAY AND DATE! DAY AND DATE!", portable VC-only devices that will never happen
Outro: Mega Man X4 - Opening Stage (Zero)
Emails: Let's not ask about other Sports Anomaly catchphrases

Time: 2'00"13

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For the record, even though James said I'd disagree that Shining Resonance Refrain doesn't do anything special, I don't disagree. In fact, in my piece, I specifically call out "I understand the criticism, but to me…not every game needs to be revolutionary. Not everything needs to do things new. Sometimes, it's enough for me if a game just does things well."

To anyone interested, you can read the piece here.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Having tried the demo for Shining Resonance, I kind of figured "eeh, it doesn't seem like anything special, but still a decent game to play while waiting for other RPGs to come out", like a filler game while waiting for a bigger release, except....it came out the same week as Octopath Traveler. Soon as I learned that after playing the demo, I just said "welp, guess I'll wait for a sale. Even I know not to buy two big JRPGs that come out the same week"

...boy, Sega has had some questionable release dates lately. Shining Resonance, a RPG, coming out 3 days before Octopath Traveler, Shenmue 1 & 2, a remaster of an open-world adventure game with tons of side-content, coming out a week before their REMAKE of an open-world adventure game with tons of side-content of Yakuza Kiwami 2. & now I just learned that, even if they don't have as much in common as the previous two examples, Fist of the North Star is coming out the exact same day as Mega Man 11. Though I'll buy both since I want to support anything related to Yakuza & they're completely different genres.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The most interesting opening in the world awaits, apparently.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/47869/episode-582-a-disgusting-hello-kitty-relationship

New Business: Battle Chasers: Nightwar, Super Mario Maker (3DS), Money Puzzle Exchanger, Space Dave, Pool Panic, League Bowling, Shining Resonance: Refrain
Listener Mail: The worst Nintendo fanbase is a 36-way tie, the next victim of Cappy, and does the Switch get the Mario Kart game after Tour?
Outro: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Indoline Praetorium
Emails: Send in your Money Puzzle Exchanger tips. No, seriously, please do. It's kicking my ass.

Time: 2'28"28

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
so listening to the currently episode, can we please have a Kirby themed Retroactive next, I feel John would get alot out of it.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Guillaume's vacation began, so they stayed in Quebec for the first substitute host. Also, totally missed an opportunity to call the show "Zubaz Kefka".
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/47914/episode-583-scarfaces-sedative-summer-sabbatical

New Business: Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, Cosmic Star Heroine, Sky Skipper, Mega Man X Legacy Collection The Good One, WarioWare Gold
Emails: Nintendo customization options, more ports to 3DS plz
Outro: Captain Todad Treasure Tracker - Piranha Creeper Cove
Emails: Care to refute the Mega Man X loredump?

Time: 2:24:33

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
Talking about customisation options in Mario Kart, I want the ability to set number of laps and items.

I need to to be able to do my 100 Lap 200 cc Baby Park with nothing but banana skins, B-Bombs & Green Turtle Shells.

Also I'm still listening to the podcasts, just got to the part on Splatoon on 3DS, I think the best thing Nintendo could have done with it would have been to use the Mario 3D Land engine and make maybe a fixed 3/4 perspective almost twin stick shooter game style game for it. I think a game like that would work well with the territory control style gameplay for Splatoon on the 3DS and could have been its fun own thing.

That said the window for any real new full 3DS games has kinda passed, anything from here on out will be either ports of older games ala Luigis Mansion or Mario & Luigi or localisations of stuff we are still waiting on (holding out for EX Troopers damit)

Last edited:

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm deeply sorry about what's about to happen with this week's episode

Actually, sorry implies that I wouldn't do it again. Which I would.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Week 2 of Le Vacation Du Veillette sees the formation of either the greatest or worst Before and After puzzle in Wheel of Fortune history. As mentioned above, Syrenne is your guest star.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/47992/episode-584-symphony-of-the-night-trap

First Segment: Smash Direct feat. two Belmonts, a Chrom, and a croc
New Business: Iconoclasts, Octophath Traveler, Dead Cells
Outro: The Lost Portrait - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (and probably remixed in a later Igavania)
Emails: Start the campaign to bring back Poke Floats, I will need a home stage for the NWR Smash Ultimate Championships.

Time: 2'07"30

Oct 25, 2017
I just had to comment after that excoriating critique of Octopath and maybe explain in part why Syrenne's having such a miserable time.

Syrenne (also a lot of people I've seen talk about the game) is significantly underestimating how important equipment is in Octopath. It's way more important than your level. Substantially so. I can tell by her complaints about the economy that she hasn't been stealing or bartering with NPCs for the really good stuff. I had about 400,000 gold at her hour count and never sold anything because shops are basically worthless compared to those NPC interactions.

It also explains why she feels the need to grind for "a few hours" when she enters each dungeon and why bosses are taking her so long. Just put the best stuff on your four characters, trust your job combinations, and fight. The low level ones will catch up soon enough. And when I say four, I mean four. There's no point in having any equipment on someone who isn't in the party.

As an aside, Tressa is an extremely useful character. She can give other characters BP and summon mercenaries to aid in breaking shields. But she's not as useful as Cyrus, who you should definitely start with, given his elemental multihit spells and ability to auto-reveal enemy weaknesses. I'm not a fan of H'annit, really. Her animals are of limited effectiveness, and Olberic is better for raw damage.

Hopefully, anyone brave enough to try the game after Syrenne dropped an atomic bomb on it has a better time than she did. And maybe her playthrough can be salvaged? Better equipment doesn't make the writing better, turn off the photoshop filters, or change the base structure of the game, though.

Edit: I should clarify that it isn't Syrenne's or anyone else's fault for thinking that leveling up is the way to go in Octopath. The game does an extremely poor job of communicating the importance of equipment over grinding experience. Crucially, the use of recommended levels is remarkably misleading. What the game really means is that your stats need to be higher, through any means.

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who is the type of RPG player that tries to fight every battle to stay leveled & wants to have everyone at equal levels to stay balanced, I can totally understand the frustration there, especially when you have no idea that the character you play as first stays in your party forever. I chose the cleric woman, so I feel like I kind of made a bad choice, but at the same time, I guess I have a leveled up healer in the party at all times. But it means you can't have full customization over who's in your party.

While I've had a bit of an issue earning money, I haven't been stealing or bartering, but I also didn't need to buy healing items because I was just finding them so frequently. Should also mention that I've only completed 2/8 of the 2nd chapters, so maybe I haven't run into these issues yet. I think the longest a boss battle has taken me is 15 minutes (cleric girl's 2nd boss), & that was after I had spent like 20 minutes with a bad team. I swapped one character out (Primrose for Olberic) & had a much easier & quicker time, though yes, 15 minutes still felt a bit tedious.

I do agree that the game needs to do a much better job of communicating some of this stuff. It took me a while to realize that there's an order weakness which helps you figure out "oh, maybe I should try this", but it's a pain when it's an enemy who only has like one or two weaknesses. At least Persona helped you keep track of what attacks you tried on the enemy.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished listening to the episode this morning and I can see why Syrenne was getting frustrated but I certainly don't think the game is as bad as she is making it out to be.

As someone who loves to grind there way to victory in JRPGs I found that I had to rethink my way of playing Octopath. Levelling, while giving you more HP, doesn't help you in battle that much. As Cyber Jim said, equipment and the job and abilities selection you give to each character play a HUGE role in the game. It's why you are seeing people decimate bosses that are 10 levels higher than them because they have the right skills and equipment set up for the fight. However, I much prefer the tried and tested formula of just being able to kick back, find a spot with decent exp giving enemies and then grind for an hour in order to smash any up and coming enemies.

I also disagree with Tressa being a bit useless. I picked her as my main character and the amount of money you get from her abilities really helps you out. Having her being able to get discounts at shops and also buy goods from people is also pretty handy. The fact that you can use her as a person to feed BP to the more offensive characters is great and mixing her starting job with something like the Runelord job class gives off fantastic results. I personally think that all of the characters bring something to the table and I don't think there are any wrong choices in the game because there seems to be an OP setup for each of them.

Also, you do get to see the credits of the game once you finish the story of your starting character, rather than having to do the post game dungeon, so that will be enough for most people to consider the game beaten. It certainly was for me. Once that is done you can then switch out your starting character freely, so if that is an issue for people then I suggest trying to finish their starting characters story ASAP.

The game does have issues and I do agree with a lot of her points, I just think she was being very harsh on the game. Which begs the question, if she's not enjoying playing it then why continue to do so? I know she mentioned enjoying the first few hours but then the rest of it has been a horrible experience for her. Surely there are plenty other games on the marker to be played that she would enjoy over playing something that she doesn't? Why not just put this to one side, admit the game isn't for you and then move on to something else?

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Guess who's back, back again / Gui is back, tell a friend
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/48046/episode-585-crocs-and-ponchos

New Business: WarioWare Gold, Valkyria Chronicles 4 demo, Dead Cells, Max and the Curse of Brotherhood, Kirby: Star Allies, MidBoss drama / 2064
Listener Mail: How would NWR deal with plagiarism, lost memorabilia
Outro: Realm Overworld Theme - The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Mail: Speaking personally, the phrase "ass nailed to the wall" comes to mind.

Time: 2'27"13

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Wait, I thought Freedom Planet wasn't out on Switch until Thursday.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/48109/episode-586-local-furry-streaming

New Business: Kirby Star Allies, Doom, EX Troopers, Tetris Attack and other 3DS VC oddities from Japan, Minit
Listener Mail: Whither Animal Crossing, sinking games with leaks, Dragon Quest's birth under a bad sign
Outro: Cave Story - Moonsong
Emails: Which popular game got an Echo in the Smash Direct? If you said Metroid Prime, you are wrong; it was never popular.

Download: MP3 | AAC
Time: 2'03"34

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up a Japanese New 3DS on my first trip to Japan and a copy of EX Troopers (sadly the 3DS is faulty as it won't read any SD cards and means I can't download anything or play any games that need it) and I enjoyed what I played of EX Troopers. It's a real shame it never made it westward as I think its one of the better 3DS games out there.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed EX Troopers & wish that I could understand the text & voice acting. If I recall, one of the reasons that Capcom gave for not localizing the game was that the Japanese text during cutscenes was hardcoded & that there was no easy way to just "swap" the text out. Plus I think it was also speculated that a 3rd person anime team shooter for PS3 would just get lost in a sea of similar games that were more popular & by western developers. Either way, it was the only PS3 game I ever ported, right at the beginning of 2013, and it didn't cost much (only $50 & free shipping).

As for Dragon Quest 11, I think another issue is that it's just coming out in a SUPER packed month (which got brought up in the podcast just as I was typing this). In Sept. alone, you've got SNK Heroines & Spider-Man coming out THE SAME WEEK, then a week after is Shadow of the Tomb Raider, & then the week after that is Xenoblade 2's Torna expansion, & then after THAT is Valkyria Chronicles 4 & the Switch version of Dragon Ball Fighterz. Sure, you could argue that DQ is more popular than some of these, but Sept. is just absolutely packed with other games for all consoles & now that Spyro got delayed 2 months, that leaves 3 games I'm getting in Sept. (that Zone of the Enders 2 VR port also comes out this month), so despite having some interest in trying out DQ11, I just have way too much I'm getting, & that's not including stuff in Oct. like World Ends with You, Luigi's Mansion, Fist of the North Star, & Mega Man 11. Fall 2018 is possibly one of the most busiest times I've ever had with new releases.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
As a kid I bought Mystical Ninja for the N64 because of the box art. Probably the best blind purchase I've ever made because I love that game so much.

Looking back at it now I have no idea what it was about the box art that convinced me because it's just the standard "character render on a background", maybe it was just because Goemon looked unique compared to other characters in N64 games?
UbCvfOB.jpg

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Anyone know why Greg bought the 3DS version of EX trooper and not the PS3 version? He has a PS3 doesn't he?