• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
Not especially. We get about 4.5 - 5k a week. We top out in the 6k area on the odd week.

Obviously, I'd love to see that number go up but I don't know how to do it.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
An intentional Friday recording to make sure The Game Awards receiv... hahaha no, it was for Smash.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/49117/episode-601-what-cant-a-little-bedroom-farce-improve

New Business: Smash Ultimate, Sonic the Hedgehog (3DS / Switch), Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, Nairi: Tower of Shirin, loading up bigger fridges, Flip Grip, Diablo III, Valkyria Chronicles 4
Outro: Valkyria Chronicles 4 - Opening
Emails: Return next week

Download: Here
Time: 2'04"49
Why I prefer VC1 to VC4: Fewer war crimes

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Not especially. We get about 4.5 - 5k a week. We top out in the 6k area on the odd week.

Obviously, I'd love to see that number go up but I don't know how to do it.

Maybe guest staring on Gamexplain discussions or the Easy Allies Nintendo podcast? There have been more review discussions lately with both NWR and Gamexplain on it.

Fei

Oct 25, 2017
Just wanted to say I love your podcast and have been listening weekly for the last year+. I've even started going back listening to the shows around and after the Switch launch. It's funny how optimistic we all were for a Switch VC which we now know is never coming. Lots of great content - keep it up!

One suggestion - maybe tweet out links to the NWR reviews your crew are responsible for. NWR has so much content I feel like I miss what you generate on the site aside from the podcast.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Back from holidays with all-new New Business.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...es-no-safe-search-for-sonic-dreams-collection

New Business: Monster Hunter Generatios Ulatimate, Zone of the Enders VR, Donut County, Wolfenstein II, Lumines Remastered, The Messenger, 1979 Revolution: Black Friday, SNK 40th Anniversary Collection, Destiny 2: Forsaken, Astro Bot, Owlboy
Outro: Melty Molten Galaxy - Super Mario Galaxy
Emails: Quickly, before they resort to one I sent

Time: 2'08"07

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
A smaller but still all New Business episode.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/49357/episode-605-remembrances-of-games-yet-to-release

NB: Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, Mega Man 11, Destiny 2, New Super Mario U Deluxe unlocking (yes, seriously), Octopath Traveler
Outro: Persona Q2 - Road Less Taken
Emails:

Download: [URL=http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.m4a/www.nintendoworldreport.com/podcast/nwrpodcast605.m4a]Here

Time: 1'55"15

There will also be a livestream telethon for Child's Play on January 26. The RFN crew will lead off with predictions, Syrenne will lead a glorious game of Jeopardy, TYP will have a round of Radio Trivia, and if we raise enough... Shenanigans will occur. Twice this year.

Also, any donations made before the 22nd at noon ET will be matched up to $2,000, meaning we could unlock EVERYTHING before the show goes live. Donations can be made here.[/URL]

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
A smaller but still all New Business episode.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/49357/episode-605-remembrances-of-games-yet-to-release

NB: Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, Mega Man 11, Destiny 2, New Super Mario U Deluxe unlocking (yes, seriously), Octopath Traveler
Outro: Persona Q2 - Road Less Taken
Emails:

Download: [URL=http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.m4a/www.nintendoworldreport.com/podcast/nwrpodcast605.m4a]Here

Time: 1'55"15

There will also be a livestream telethon for Child's Play on January 26. The RFN crew will lead off with predictions, Syrenne will lead a glorious game of Jeopardy, TYP will have a round of Radio Trivia, and if we raise enough... Shenanigans will occur. Twice this year.

Also, any donations made before the 22nd at noon ET will be matched up to $2,000, meaning we could unlock EVERYTHING before the show goes live. Donations can be made here.[/URL]
The 26th of January is Australia Day. RFN should celebrate by doing bad impressions of the Aussie accent, eating barbecued sausages and drinking a lot on air.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
I started listening to this weeks episode on the way to work this morning and i'm so happy one of the guys got around to playing Monster Boy. I'm even happier that Gui seemed to love it. It was one of the best games I played all year and more people need to play the thing. A lot of mainstream gaming sites seem to have completely overlooked the game ( probably doesn't pull the viewer numbers in ) so it didn't get that much coverage, especially with it being released so close to Smash Bros. Still, I know places like My Life in Gaming and John Linneman from Digital Foundry had it down as their game of the year and done their best to get the word out. It's a fantastic game.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
What donation target do we have to reach to find out what James called people who compare Astrobot to Mario 64?

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
It really isn't that funny. It was a joke came off weirdly rather than desirably stupid. The original pre-show plan was to say something like "if you believe that you should have to play Bubsy 3D to completion," but as with all things the plan never survives first contact with the enemy.

My point remains, I don't feel like this game really blazed new ground from a gameplay perspective, and thus calling it "The Mario 64 moment" of anything shows a tremendous misunderstanding of why Mario 64 was important.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
I started listening to this weeks episode on the way to work this morning and i'm so happy one of the guys got around to playing Monster Boy. I'm even happier that Gui seemed to love it. It was one of the best games I played all year and more people need to play the thing. A lot of mainstream gaming sites seem to have completely overlooked the game ( probably doesn't pull the viewer numbers in ) so it didn't get that much coverage, especially with it being released so close to Smash Bros. Still, I know places like My Life in Gaming and John Linneman from Digital Foundry had it down as their game of the year and done their best to get the word out. It's a fantastic game.

Is it really that good? The first game seemed to get pretty good reviews but I heard it had pretty dodgy hit detection. I'm tempted to jump in as I'm nearly done with my current game (L.A Noire).

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
Is it really that good? The first game seemed to get pretty good reviews but I heard it had pretty dodgy hit detection. I'm tempted to jump in as I'm nearly done with my current game (L.A Noire).

Indeed it is, Goron_3.

I absolutely loved the game and that's saying something considering i'm not the biggest fan of the genre or of the Dragon's Trap. I raved about the game over on N-E and pretty much everyone on ERA who has played the game rates it highly. I would definitely check it out. The soundtrack alone is worth the price of admission.

AnilP228

Mar 14, 2018
Indeed it is, Goron_3.

I absolutely loved the game and that's saying something considering i'm not the biggest fan of the genre or of the Dragon's Trap. I raved about the game over on N-E and pretty much everyone on ERA who has played the game rates it highly. I would definitely check it out. The soundtrack alone is worth the price of admission.

Right, I'll give it a download at the end of the month then!

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
Gui touched on it during the show, but this odd Wonder Boy revival came from two studios without any kind of coordination. The good news is if Wonder Boy and the Dragon's Trap wasn't for you, Monster Boy might still be since they were largely made in isolation from one another.

UNRELATED: I'm doing another segment on the Telethon. Oops, big memory fail. I almost pulled a Jon.

1 PM EST: Syrenne's segment on disastrous video game dev cycles.

So yeah, I'm doing:
  • noon
  • 1 PM
  • 3 PM tech support
  • 5 PM tech support
  • Midnight
  • 1 AM
Pray for me.

Last edited:

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Gui touched on it during the show, but this odd Wonder Boy revival came from two studios without any kind of coordination. The good news is if Wonder Boy and the Dragon's Trap wasn't for you, Monster Boy might still be since they were largely made in isolation from one another.

UNRELATED: I'm doing another segment on the Telethon. Oops, big memory fail. I almost pulled a Jon.

1 PM EST: Syrenne's segment on disastrous video game dev cycles.

So yeah, I'm doing:
  • noon
  • 1 PM
  • 3 PM tech support
  • 5 PM tech support
  • Midnight
  • 1 AM
Pray for me.
Awesome! The combination of Syrenne and you being horrified by what Syrenne is saying is always a good time.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
(Kill Bill siren) THE CHARITY LIVESTREAM IS SATURDAY. THE CHARITY LIVESTREAM IS SATURDAY. You can make two different people suffer to help kids suffer less.

As for this week...
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/49419/episode-606-flexing-on-undead-taxmen

First segment: Five top 5s of 2018 (despite this just being a Gui/James/Greg show)
Listener Mail: Old Game Of The Year, why Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is actually MK11 the ability to jump into series late
Outro: Ending Music - Sonic 1 (GG/SMS)
Emails: Send them something so they don't refer me to a psychiatrist

Time: 2'24"29

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The stream is in the books, and we almost unlocked 50 turns of Mario Party 5 for some poor bastard... not looking good for Devil's Third, though. Also, RFN has a new episode.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...es-gold-in-them-there-waifus-telethon-episode

First segment: Predictions
Second segment: Guillaume and The Rt Hon Greg Leahy, MP, Virtual Boy Retro, I honestly don't remember the rest because it was 3 am my time when it ended
Outro: Stella Glow - Battle: South Valley
Emails: Surely you have Metroid Prime 4 takes

Time: 2'05"40

canonj

Oct 27, 2017
Will the other segments of the telethon be released at some point like other years? I wasn't able to listen on Saturday and wouldn't mind hearing other parts.

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
So yes, kind of. Read on.

Normally I sit and split it into 4 bits, and add them to the feed. It just takes forever (all in all a bit under five hours) but they don't get great ratings. They do help inflate our numbers for the month though. ...not that we get any ad revenue. (ONE DAY I WILL SELL YOU RAZORS)

This year a lot of the segments were video-focused so I don't know if the time investment is worth it and everything is up on the YouTube.

BUT I've handed over the audio to all parties.

Radio Trivia is going to get dressed up with better quality music and released this week.
Talk Nintendo + Dr. DQ is getting released on the Talk Nintendo feed this week as well.

I might do something with Syrenne's siege against my RFN peers (Development Disasters and Jeopardy), but I don't know what to do with them yet.

I'm not precluding releasing all the audio, I just haven't decided how to do it most effectively. If there's a lot of demand I might be swayed.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand I won't mind if the whole Telethon doesn't get released on the main feed, I'm backlogged enough on my podcasts without 14 hours of maddness to listen to.

On the other hand I would really miss listening to it, might have to load up the YouTube and listen to it while playing something on the 3DS or Switch.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Regulation episode this week, though we have some 104-styled corrections.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/49561/episode-608-big-honking-zeldas

New Business: Piranha Plant, new New 3DSXL, Ace Combat 7, Pode, Whip! Whip!
Listener Mail: Jon's "top 5", the dearth of "handheld games" on Switch
Outro: Taiko no Tatsujin Drum 'n Fun - Chikuzei (GEAR UP)
Emails: *honk**honk**honk* at nintendoworldreport dot com

Time: 1'58"04

(Feed subscribers had this yesterday, but was waiting for the article)

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Wait, I thought anime died three months ago in a Fire Emblem Heroes video.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/49664/episode-609-anime-word-cloud

New Business: Wargroove, Satisfye Pro Gaming Grip, Octopath Traveler, Overcooked 2, Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn (demo), the last days of the Wii Shop
Listener Mail: Why anime happens, why worry about the news, Xbox Live on Switch, talking action RPGs they haven't played
Outro: Kirby's Epic Yarn - Outer Rings
Emails: It's rfn at nintendoworldreport dot com

Time: 2'02"44

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
I had to look up what that grip looked like because I couldn't visualise it when James was describing how the right side stuck out more than the left side and wow this looks uncomfortable.
aEe0aC8.jpg

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
It does push your thumb out to land on the buttons.

I've mostly got used to it, but it still feels a little weird.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
Man I missed the email address, I wish they would make it easier to know what the email is incase I should want to send an email.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Probably should have dumped this after the annual Old White People Pat Each Other On The Back show kicked off. No, the other one.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/49830/episode-611-all-rocket-lauchers-and-nonsense

New Business: Degrees of Separation (review forthcoming), Crackdown 3, Jackbox Party Pack 5, Pac Man Vs, Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom (Greg this time)
Listener Mail: Change atop Nintendo, the possibilities of GamePass, and... forming a for-profit university. (Byleth teaches military history this summer.)
Outro: Conan the Barbarian - Battle of the Mounds (Yes, seriously. It makes sense in context.)
Emails: are eff enn at nintendoworldreport dawt com

Time: 2'09"07

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Because this comes up: Lightning's creator who might be has the hots for his own creation is Motomu Toriyama.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/49938/episode-613-sean-connerys-worst-wigs-a-retrospective

New Business: Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum 'n Fun, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Starlink: The Battle For Bombas
Listener Mail: When is a good time to play Breath of the Wild, who the final four Smash characters will be (feat. Bruce Campbell in a stunning dual role)
Outro: Photo Album - Pokémon Snap
Emails: "This Is" Howie DeWitt for Smash

Time: 2'09"09

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
About the whole Taiko sight seeing thing:

I think for a rhythm game like Taiko where it's just one lane & solely based on reacting to colors to tell the difference between notes, I don't see anything wrong with how it is you played the game. With something like DJMAX, Musynx, beatmania, etc, where you have to keep track of multiple lanes where notes can come down, you're probably gonna want to dart your eyes a bit more to distinguish which lane/button the next note will be, so I tend to keep my eyes just above the line where you need to press buttons so I have enough time to both react to the next note I need to press while seeing what's coming after. Or in the case of Taiko, I'd probably keep my eyes a little to the right of the circle where you need to line up notes

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
What happens when you fuse NWR Chat and Syrenne? Well...
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/49982/episode-614-james-jones-god-rest-his-soul

New Business: Steins;Gate Elite, Catherine: Full Body (CW: transphobia for the first two), Ace Attorney Trilogy, 2024 GOTY Kingdom Hearts 3, Anodyne, Assault Android Cactus+, Kero Blaster, GRIS
Listener Mail: "What Nintendo is all about", Capcom on Switch, Switch game prices
Outro: Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance - L'Impeto Oscure
Email: Now we figure out what's up with Konami

Time: 2'17"59

GuillaumeNWR

Feb 19, 2018
]
You get pretty much the whole plot of Steins;Gate spoiled?
Do you? I haven't played the game, and it's been at least a couple of years since I've watched the anime so maybe the plot is more of a slow burn than I remembered, but there are an awful lot more twists and turns than
"time-travel gets accidentally invented"
and
"CERN is the big bad"

If she said anything more spoilery than that, it didn't even register with me, who's kind of forgotten most of the plot. So I don't think it's going to especially stick out for anyone unfamiliar with this franchise.

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Do you? I haven't played the game, and it's been at least a couple of years since I've watched the anime so maybe the plot is more of a slow burn than I remembered, but there are an awful lot more twists and turns than
"time-travel gets accidentally invented"
and
"CERN is the big bad"

If she said anything more spoilery than that, it didn't even register with me, who's kind of forgotten most of the plot. So I don't think it's going to especially stick out for anyone unfamiliar with this franchise.
Hi Guillaume! Thank you for your reaction.I think she could've just explained everything up to
accidentally causing SERN to take notice..

But she went on about

trying (and failing) to prevent Mayuri from dying in different time-lines, and even what happens after that almost up until the true ending.

So that pretty much leaves the actual true ending and alternative endings unspoiled, and for a game like Stein's;Gate that's pretty much only story (there's hardly any interactivity in the game) I'm not sure that this is what listeners wanted to hear, but I can only speak for myself of course.

Ironically there's a spoiler alert about Luka.

Anyway, as a long time listener I appreciate all the time you invest in editing the podcast. I imagine it consumes a significant amount of your spare time.

GuillaumeNWR

Feb 19, 2018
Oh, you're welcome. Podcasting is a lot of fun. Editing… is something I try to find ways to spend time on every week.

About
preventing a character's death, that's all she said: preventing a character's death that the universe seems set on killing. Doesn't mention if that person is part of the main cast or someone else completely. And the sentence after that, in Syrenne's listing of the changing focus of Steins;Gate's plot: "and then it becomes 'how do I change the future'". Very vague. It's not said if or how things get resolved.

Outside of the Luka stuff, the plot points described are actually very vague, though they may seem like too much information when you've played the game because you're hearing this and you're filling in the blanks. But to someone like me who only vaguely remembers the details, or someone unfamiliar with the plot, I don't think it reveals much. We basically say the game gets timey-wimey, which people going into a narrative about time travel expect.

The Luka spoiler I couldn't excise due to it serving as a bridge to the Catherine conversation. But I think warnings about problematic content are fair game.

Anyway. I don't want to come across as too defensive here. I just honestly think that it's pretty much impossible to spoil a whole 25 hours of narrative in a 10 minute conversation. By hour 5, people won't even remember what we said about the game. They'll be too busy keeping track of the characters, conspiracies, etc.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
I last played Steins;Gate when it was released on the Vita four years ago and haven't played enough of Elite to get to any of the content mentioned on the podcast so my memory of the game is fuzzy at best, but my impression of the Luka stuff was
undoing the time line changes that affected Luka was portrayed as something that Okabe didn't want to do but had to because he had to undo all changes they had made to the time line, like undoing the change that Faris made that stopped her father dying. If you want to, you can even refuse to undo the change and get an ending where Luka's time line change stays and she is shown having a kid with Okabe. I still think there are parts of Steins;Gate involving Luka that are problematic, but I think Steins;Gate handles this a hundred times better than Catherine which seems blatantly transphobic at times based on things I've read about Full Body.
As I said, my memory of those parts of the game is going back four years though so feel free to correct me if I'm misremembering.

Syrenne

Producer of Manifold Garden
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hey all! I understand the thoughts on my Steins;Gate conversation but would like to reiterate what Gui said here. I tried very intentionally to name threads and themes throughout the game without talking about specific plot beats and choices so that people could decide if the story interested them. Considering the first 15% of the game is just meeting characters that seem less likable on the surface than they do later, and that the next 30% of the game is just about trying to understand the in-universe mechanics of time travel, I wanted to throw out one of the (several) major conflicts and plot threads that comes up through the story. While the one I chose to mention does happen about 40-50% of the way through the game, I was trying to be pretty specific and careful of the content mentioned.

Regarding the "big bad" comment,
Characters discover that SERN isn't to be trusted within one hour of the game's story, as soon as they discover the first @Channel postings. To me this might be considered the same as naming the character you spend most of Mass Effect 1 chasing. There are other bigger villains and secret operators in Steins;Gate that I didn't mention because those are reveals through the story, whereas SERN is literally named in Elite's advertising and marketing.

I last played Steins;Gate when it was released on the Vita four years ago and haven't played enough of Elite to get to any of the content mentioned on the podcast so my memory of the game is fuzzy at best, but my impression of the Luka stuff was

What you said is mostly correct (although I don't think the Luka end results in a child, it results in Okabe and Luka agreeing to help each other cope with the blood on their hands...at least in Elite.)

The context I'd give is that depicting trans characters untransitioning when they don't want to, ESPECIALLY as a result of direct player agency and choice, is perceived as an act of real violence in the trans community. The idea of being forcibly changed from who you are and regressed to when you had to live a lie and present as someone who you aren't is viewed by many as a similar storytelling device as something like gay conversion therapy.

Luka's situation is trickier because while she consents to going back she doesn't want to - it's also made even trickier by the lack of character development with regards to her queerness. When she first meets Okabe prior to the events of the game she's already presenting as feminine and is extremely self conscious about her gender, yet when they explain why she feels the way she does, she justifies it as that she's in love with Okabe so she wants to be a girl because he's not queer. Even though she was presenting and self-conscious about this significantly before falling for Okabe. Additionally, since Okabe can retain his memories after her transition and immediately returns to internal he/him pronouns for her, and also compounded with the constant textual refrain of "but he's a boy," the whole characterization and arc comes off as severely uncomfortable.

Is Full Body worse by not having any external character sympathy and by not engaging in and consulting the character in question with regards to the transition? Absolutely. Especially since Full Body goes ahead and dead names its trans human character in the end credits. But especially due to the similarities and parity in their release schedules (well, Elite's Western release and FB's JP release,) I felt it was worthwhile to mention them in the same breath.

I hope this help explains a bit about my thought process going into recording. Sorry that some people were dissatisfied with my discussion of the game - I didn't want to get into all of this on the podcast because I was feeling very self-conscious about having a lot of games in my NB, and because talking about the politics of trans visibility and transitioning in media may be off-putting to some.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Quick question/comment about the ending for Catherine: Full Body since I'm hearing different things from different people & I just want to make sure I've got the right info about what the ending implies.

My understand/from what I've heard of the ending was (& I hope I worded this in an appropriate way): it was less "Erica never became female" and more "Erica just makes a quip to Toby, who wishes he could find a girlfriend, about how "there might be a girl closer than you think", stating that she'll still transition into being female & that it just hasn't happened yet in this ending", aka a bad attempt at humor

That most likely won't change your opinion, which is completely justified, but I just wanted to make sure that was the intent of said ending since I've heard two versions of said ending. That said, as someone who watched Steins;Gate long ago, I never made that connection & it's made me look at how they handled Luka in a different way, especially since I always hated how Okabe figures out Luka became female after time traveling, and now it just feels like they really mishandled this in more ways.