• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Indie shipping wars are go!
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/50084/episode-615-tube-sliding-around-big-ape-cul-de-sac

New Business: Baba Is You, Hypnospace Outlaw, Gris, Castlevania, various combinations of Wonder/Monster/Boy/Land, the impending Konami collections
Listener Mail: Give Tom Happ Metroid (or at least Next Level Games Prime 4), where's the raw telethon audio
Outro: Final Fantasy VII - Oppressed People
Emails: Let them know you want a 14 hour MP3

Download: Here
Time: 2:14:26

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
Just some business, we're looking for recommended games that fall into one of two buckets:

• Zelda-likes: games that clearly "borrow" from 2D Zelda games
  • Handheld 2D Zelda games: ...2D handheld...Zelda...games
Normal RetroActive rules apply. Game must be currently available digitally OR procurable for less than $20 American on GB/A, GameCube, Wii/U 3/DS.

Game Boy era stuff not available digitally is up for consideration, but we might punt. I'll take recommendations for it so we can think it through.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Just some business, we're looking for recommended games that fall into one of two buckets:

• Zelda-likes: games that clearly "borrow" from 2D Zelda games
  • Handheld 2D Zelda games: ...2D handheld...Zelda...games
Normal RetroActive rules apply. Game must be currently available digitally OR procurable for less than $20 American on GB/A, GameCube, Wii/U 3/DS.

Game Boy era stuff not available digitally is up for consideration, but we might punt. I'll take recommendations for it so we can think it through.
Do Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks count as 2D? Not enough people have played Spirit Tracks. Otherwise it's always a good time to replay Minish Cap or even the Oracle games. Enough people might have the Four Swords game Nintendo released for free on the DSi shop to make that a worthwhile discussion - it's worth going through even in single player.

Then there's the BS Zelda recreation that's available on some corners of the Internet.

If these were available digitally, I would nominate The Guardian Legend and Robo Warrior for NES as well as Terranigma and Goof Troop for the SNES.

Edit:

Thinking about it some more, Crystalis and Neutopia were both well regarded back in the day. I don't know how available it is (and it's technically a 3D Zelda), but Okamiden on DS was pretty good.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Too bad there aren't any legal options to play treasure Island (snes). It's a early Eiji Aonuma game and feels like a traditional 2d Zelda game.

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
We might do it at some point. We've talked about it, and we already broke that seal with Mother 3.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Totally clears the host. THANK YOU!
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/50138/episode-616-waluigis-russian-troll-farm

Listener Mail: The games only they want (James/Greg/Gui), missing pieces of Nintendo lore, non-Rare Replay Xbox games for Switch, design your Spirit Battle, ports vs new games
New Business: Umihara Kawase Fresh! (Demo, JP eShop), Horizon Chase Turbo, Blaster Master Zero 2
Outro: Fort Course - Yoshi's Woolly World
Emails: Five emails means the box needs a-fillin'
Retroactive: VOTE NOW! Candidates: Neutopia II (Wii U VC), Crystalis (SNK 40th Anniversary Collection), Landstalker (Sega Genesis Classics), The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons/Ages (3DS VC), The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Wii U VC and your local bomba bin). Brigaders will be shot, survivors shot again. Voting closes April 11.

Time: 2'23"12

Out of context quote of the week from James: "...kink-shame Goombas all day long"

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Some great games in that poll. Although, if you really wanted to play a not-Zelda, I would have made them their own separate RetroActive. Putting a real Zelda game in there, even a verifiably terrible one like Wand of Gamelon, will all but guarantee all the votes go there.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks that Spirit Tracks probably won't win, more people need to experience the best version of Zelda (the character) in the series.

neoJABES

Dec 23, 2017
I haven't played any of the games in the poll, I'll jump in with you guys on whichever is the winner.

As as Sega fan, Voted for Landstalker just to piss off James as he seemed to love the name during the last episode.

I hope it's one of the non Zelda's that win, but if it is a Zelda an excuse to download Spirit Tracks and dust off the Wii U would be cool.

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
We spent 20 minutes off-air this week discussing all the ways the sequel's title is terrible.

Lady Stalker: Challenge from the Past

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
We spent 20 minutes off-air this week discussing all the ways the sequel's title is terrible.

Lady Stalker: Challenge from the Past
Oh that's just a joke you guys came up wi....THAT'S REAL?!

Then it turns out there's a "third" game on Dreamcast called "Time Stalkers", or "Climax Landers" in Japan, where it's a roguelike RPG that's a crossover of previous Climax Entertainment's games, i.e. Landstalker.

Also the main character's name is "Sword", I'm not kidding.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Spirit Tracks won the poll! I honestly expected James to announce an Oracles games double-retroactive. I haven't replayed the game in (I think) about eight years, but I do have some tips for the unwary:

• When doing the flute stuff, there's this delay between when the camera first pans to the pipes and when you need to start blowing into the mic. There is a second set of cues for when you actually have to start and nothing you do before this second cue happens will count. This is, I think, where lots of people got tripped up at the time of release.
  • You don't need to actually blow into the mic to get the system to register that you've blown into the mic. All you need do is have the mic register a noise. On the original hardware, for instance, you could rub the mic with your finger and it'd work. At time of release I played on the bus and the noise of traffic was enough to keep the "blowing" status engaged.
  • There is never a song where silence is part of the sequence, so a white noise clip on YouTube might work

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
This week's is an all-Listener Mail show.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/50266/episode-618-collecting-our-baftas

Subjects: Telling the Direct hounders where to get off, the game they'll get told about repeatedly, Fake or Real: Mario Kart Knockoff Edition, (break), franchises who need VR updates, doing a Thanos on game composers (and not taking the opportunity to nuke the Dragon Quest composer on general principles)
Outro: Fire Emblem Echoes Shadows of Valentia - Lord of a Dead Empire
Emails: Please keep war crime denial to a minimum

Time: 2'08"22

Last edited:

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I thought my email got chosen when I saw the VR question, but ah well, at least the question got answered in the end.

Also kinda glad Spirit Tracks got picked since I feel like it's gonna lead to a more interestinf revisit over the GBC games since those still hold up rather well where as the DS games....well, since they tried new things, it's more interesting to look back on them.

Hercule

Jun 20, 2018
Kinda disappointed that Spirit tracks won. The Oracle games are legit fun to play and I was looking forward to playing Seasons. For a while the GBC duo even had a healthy lead.

Zelda SS on the the other hand I don't really feel like replaying. Part of me wonders some people only voted on that game to make the RFN cast suffer. It's absolutely not a bad game but not a game that warrants a replay

Last edited:

Crimm

Oct 29, 2017
We got a few VR-related questions. I don't think we've answered all, or even most of them. I think our hope was to do way more email, but some of them - especially the VR one (and the trivia) - went longer than expected. More VR will be talked about. Cardboard will be commented on.

This RetroActive was one of those ones that was going to disappoint somebody, regardless of the winner. I personally wanted to stray further from the trail, so I totally sympathize.

Keeping in mind, I actually really liked the DS Zelda games - certainly much more than I do Link Between Worlds. I think there's interesting insights to be drawn from how they built these game and how they evolved the format from Phantom Hourglass, and hopefully we make an interesting conversation for all of you. And hopefully we get a lot of participation.

Normally, I'd stream a bunch of gameplay, but I'm planning to dig out my old...New DS XL. So that's a non-starter. I think I'll still do some TG-16 stuff soon. I'm weirdly attracted to that silly thing.

I think for the next RetroActive I might pull-rank and just pick. I have a few I'd love to do.

We're all playing Jelly Boy!

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I dug out my copy of Spirit Tracks only to find that my launch day 3DS no longer charges, even with a new battery or using the charging cradle. It seems it's fallen victim to an ailment that afflicts a lot of ageing electronics - broken contacts due to the use of lead free solder. This can be fixed relatively easily, by resoldering the charging port's contacts back onto the motherboard, but I unfortunately lack the tools to do so and it works out cheaper to just get a second hand replacement for now.

Booting up the game on the new-for-me 3DS XL, I'm first struck at how limited the graphics are. DS 3D was always quite rough and seeing the simple geometry and pixelated lines ten years removed from the original release really highlights how barebones it was, almost as though this were an N64 Zelda made in a parallel universe where the Wind Waker art style were used a generation sooner than it was.

The first part of the game is slower than I remembered. The initial premise is goofy and the callbacks are cute - Link is on a train wearing the green tunic again because of lore reasons and everyone is descended from Tetra's original crew (apart from Niko, who is at least 110 years old by this point). Wind Waker is heavily referenced throughout, of course, as is Phantom Hourglass, the game that provided the original template for this one. One influence that people curiously don't talk about is Four Swords/ Four Swords Adventures, with the use of force gems.

One of the things I loved about this game was filling out Niko's stamp book. The world is littered throughout with stamp stations, each of which you can use to stamp the book with and unlock the special prize he gives you if you find them all:
the ability to play as conductor Link
. Some of these are quite deviously hidden. Others are locked behind dungeon items you don't receive until long after the first time you arrive at a new location, which is an incentive to revisit locations around the place as you progress through the game. If you do any of the side quests, this will be easy, so just keep your eyes peeled.

It should be noted that this idea is based on the real world practice of collecting station stamps on Japanese rail lines. The idea is that each train station across Japan has a stamp of its own with a unique design. Avid travellers will endeavour to collect these stamps at each new station they disembark at, a little like how people once liked to collect stamps in their passports.

Traversal around the world is somewhat more cumbersome in this game than it was in Phantom Hourglass. Gone is the freeform route planning from the previous game, replaced with route planning along the tracks. This feels less restrictive over time as you unlock more tracks, but it does create bottlenecks that do not go away. It also forced the developers to come up with different hazards to the exploding barrels and pirates of PH. These have been replaced with demon trains.

Demon trains are like BotW's guardians - normally benign or friendly machinery possessed by the game's train-themed not-Ganon Malladus' malice. The trouble is that unlike pirates these are essentially invincible (you can disable them but not kill them) and crashing into one, even when disabled, is an instant game over. Since you're on rails this means you can be caught in a pincer movement with no means of escape, easily losing you five or ten minutes' progress when all you were trying to do was get to the next location. I think this is by far the worst aspect of the game's design and the reason a lot of people soured on this game.

That isn't to say that avoiding the demon trains isn't trivially easy once you get used to the train controls or the way they move. I just think it's the arbitrary stakes that make traversal a hassle, which is a grave flaw in a game built around traversal. It makes me wish for an alternate universe version of this game where you chart out a travel path for a horse and wagon PH-style. It would mean missing out on the train themed goodness, but put Link into a western a la Twilight Princess. The whip would make more sense in that context, I suppose.

Speaking of westerns, the fact that Tetra and the inhabitants of the Great Sea seemingly took over the land the game is set in (never named in-game I don't think, so I call it New Hyrule) from the Lokomos smacks of old school colonialism. It's a little uncomfortable to think of spunky Tetra and the Hero of Winds conquering a country by the sword, potentially partaking in what we would now call war crimes to pacify the populace. Maybe a western wouldn't have worked for just that reason, or maybe Eiji Aonuma just really likes trains. The backstory makes it sound like Tetra et al arrived just as the war between spirits and demons had ended and the country was depopulated anyway, but it does raise uncomfortable questions.

Anyway, just finished the Snow Temple dungeon and having a good time. The dungeons are where this game really shines and are a marked improvement over what was on offer in PH.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The answer to the question posed in this episode is "the techbros would immediately begin researching how to build a dome with mesh networking". Greg is out due to Mr. Irrelevant, aka every Bills draft pick.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...a-child-and-other-ways-to-kill-a-conversation

New Business: Cuphead (Switch), Yoshi's Crafted World, New Super Mario Bros... 2, Punch Line, Galak-Z: The Void (Switch, MAJOR disclaimer at the start), Outrun (Switch Sega Ages), Wave Race 64
Listener Mail: Create the next great spinoff, keep the game collection?
Outro: Moon Theme (Remix) - Ducktales Remastered
Emails: Also works for Spirit Tracks essays (due May 16)

Time: 2'22"32

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed the conversation about whether or not you should keep your gaming collections. There were certainly 2 different sides to this conversation, with James offering good reasons to keep them and Gui offering good reasons to ditch them. I do think the email needed to go more in depth as to why the person was even thinking about getting rid of them. Usually people only consider this if space is an issue or they could do with the cash but neither of them seemed to be the case here.

Personally, i'm all for keeping them. There have been a fair few times where I have just fancied playing a game from when I was a kid and having the option to just go to my shelf and pick up said game and relive my childhood is great. Just the other month I sat and played through Shining the Holy Ark on my Sega Saturn, a game that I haven't played in 20 years. I thoroughly enjoyed this experience and I got very nostalgic playing through it again.

Another recent example is when I was reading a thread about the DS Dragon Quest games. The first time I played one those was back in 2008 and i'm pretty sure i'll be firing them up again now that i've got the itch to play them.

For me, you can't rely on companies porting their games forward or releasing them on newer platforms. My Sega Saturn example is a good one because you can't play a lot of that library anywhere other than the original hardware. Even something like the Virtual Console was missing a lot of gaming gems, especially those that were licensed.

I imagine that most gamers would love to keep a hold of their collections and would probably do so if they had the space. My advice would be is that if storage isn't a problem and you aren't in need of the extra cash, then you should definitely keep a hold of your collection. You never know when you may fancy a nostalgia trip and want to play on a classic game. In the past i've sold games and it's something I really regretted doing. When I have went to pick the games back up at a later date i've had to pay a premium to get them back in my collection. Don't make that mistake!

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Sonic movie is rapidly completing the first verse of "Variety Speak".
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/50452/episode-621-phallic-ships-and-sonics-hips

New Business: Darius Cozmic Collection (with a side of Konami), Galak-Z, Venture Kid, BOXBOXBOY, Switch demos
Listener Mail: FF ports on Switch, 2D animation, the aforementioned disaster
Outro: 428: Shibuya Scramble - Main Theme
Emails: Send in your ideas for making use of the Amish Paradise parody

Time: 2'25"09
Retroactive: Comments due May 16, 8pm EDT

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
In addition to podcast services, RFN is now available on Spotify.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/50493/episode-622-fanciful-yet-relatively-simple

Listener Mail: Healing Omega on cancelled Nintendo games, ringtones are still a thing apparently, musicals, making Spike stand out, "The Wikipedia Trap".
New Business: Venture Kid wrapup, VA-11 HALL-A, Tesla v Lovecraft
Outro: Caldera Trap - Red Steel 2
Emails: Try to avoid waiting until Thursday at 8 p.m. ET to send in Spirit Tracks thoughts, ya?

Time: 2'17"37

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
I'm at home sick with a bad head cold and it's given me a little more time to binge on Spirit Tracks. While I wait for my appointment here at the doctor's office, I'll write my thoughts.

I must say the Ocean Temple in this game is one of my favourite dungeons in all the Zelda series, right up there with the Great Cistern and City in the Sky. Multi-floor puzzles, note taking and clues that are just the right mix of straightforward and cryptic tickle a particular part of my brain.

The whip is one of my favourite items in this game - the first thing I did once I left the temple was to head to Wittleton and do the whip race mini game. Getting the heart container in this mini game is quite frustrating if you don't realise that holding the L/R button activates your equipped item. It goes much faster if you don't have to tap from one part of the screen to another. Holding it down allows you to quad-tap the thorny gates rather than having to wait between grabbing a thorn and throwing it then reactivating the whip to grab the second. After you work that out, getting under 1:20 is very achievable.

It could be that my fevered brain isn't running at its best, but the fourth visit to the Spirit Tower has a puzzle that I consistently misinterpret. The clue is "walk from the green tile to the red tile" and it sounds like you're supposed to turn all the grey tiles in the square pink, which may actually be mathematically impossible on a 9x9 grid. I wasted an hour here before I gave up and looked up the solution online, which was to simply mimic what a guardian on the other side of the room was doing. It shows how long it's been since I last played this game that as soon as I did it, I got flashbacks to doing the same thing around 8 years ago.

The side quests opening up rail tracks is a good way of giving you something to do in the overworld, and does open up useful new things (locations, shortcuts, warp gates) but it means a lot of fetch quests and back and forth across the rail maps, which is very time consuming. When you're doing the side quests, in addition, on-map enemies and the demon trains' placement and behaviour often changes, which makes what should be straightforward journeys somewhat annoying. This is unless you get lucky and the game fails to load any demon trains when you enter the rail map - this is a glitch that happens every once in a while, seemingly at random, but it seems to happen more often when some event is happening on one of the rail maps (say if you have to open up the way to one of the temples).

I'm still making my way through the Fire Temple, but I left the 3DS charging at home, so progress on that will need to wait.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
Finished the Fire Temple and the Spirit Tower and started doing some side quests.

Something I realised is that the side quests very quickly make the train experience better. The rewards always start with new tracks, which can make journeys and future side quests easier, but also new locations for treasure, new warp gates and bunnies. These in turn open up new side quests. The loop of request -> journey -> reward -> request is actually pretty addictive.

What boggles my mind is why this addictive gameplay loop is locked off until so late in the game (you don't get the cargo carriage until you've unlocked the Fire Temple - nearly at the endgame). Up until this point, every time I had to travel from point A to point B I kept wondering "I remember enjoying this, but it's actually really annoying. Was I just high on new Zelda hype?" Now that I've gotten to it, it's this part of the game that I remember. Traveling for side quests, rather than just wasting your time, actually gives you tangible, permanent rewards that open up the world and give you more options.

There's a missed opportunity here for a "city-building" aspect, for lack of a better word. By moving goods and people across the land, the game really should have shown the economies of each of the towns develop. This could have led to visible location changes, better prices in shops, greater variety of goods, new areas becoming available and upgrades for your weapons or train etc. As it is, these aspects are handled in other ways (mini games, Beedle and Linebeck to name a few), but it could have been as addictive as rebuilding Colony 6 in the original Xenoblade, building up New LA in Xenoblade Chronicles X or recruiting residents for Tarry Town if they'd had the notion.

Another Xenoblade gameplay design aspect they could easily have implemented if they were designing this game today would have been fast travel. For a game that's all about traversal, this seems counter-intuitive, but hear me out - you'd only be able to skip to locations you've found the stamp station for. Passenger / cargo transport, bunny hunting, exploration and warp gate unlocking would still require you to "ride the rails". It'd cut out a lot of the annoyance of revisiting older locations, preserve the side quest gameplay loop and make the stamp stations individually desirable (beyond unlocking Wind Waker Link's shield and the engineer's clothes). The fact that many of the stamp stations are inaccessible until you've revisited a location with new items means that the "main story" stripped of these side quests would remain largely unchanged. It might have allowed a greater variety of side quests too beyond the transport based ones.

My final gripe is that the train upgrades are largely cosmetic. Apart from getting an extra heart for all matching parts, there are no advantages to messing with this mechanic. It would have been nice for each train set to have a different stat boost, say top speed, smoothness, hit points, attack, shooting speed etc.

Anyway, still feeling like death, so I might get time tomorrow morning to do the Sand Temple. I probably won't get to finish the game before the deadline though. I need to sleep - doctor's orders.

EDIT: Finished the Sand Temple. That was a fun dungeon. Also tooted around finishing off various side quests - got the last of the stamps and all but one of the bunnies (which is locked behind a fairly long chain of side quests). The extra puzzle areas in each realm are consistently great though. Won't get to finish the game at this point as I really do need to sleep this afternoon, so I'd say I'm done.

All in all, there is a lot of fun to be had in this game, but it's all locked behind a central mechanic that just isn't fun enough to sustain a full game.

It could have done with some trimming or at least some way to skip inconsequential trips. The warp gates are placed to make side quests easier, but won't help you if you want to quickly duck into Aboda and visit Niko, for instance, or check if a new side quest is available in Goron village. It means the game wastes a lot of your time, which is a grievous sin, especially in a Zelda game. This makes it hard to come back to, however much I loved the ride toward the end.

Still, this game will always have a special place in my heart, since not only does it give the Hero of Winds, Tetra and her crew an enduring legacy, but it also lets you play as Zelda for the first time in series history. Her banter with Link is a highlight for me and gives Zelda the deepest characterisation of any Zelda to that point, on a par with Tetra.

The game lives on now as the Spirit Train level in Smash Bros Ultimate, featuring Engineer Link. Plus, Zelda uses a Phantom as one of her specials. Not only that, but it's main theme, Full Steam Ahead, is the track that plays in the background of the level. It's a lot more representation than Phantom Hourglass gets, for instance, and certainly more than Minish Cap.

With the way the game sold, I doubt very much that it'll ever get a direct sequel or a remake, which saddens me. Like a mastodon though, it'll always represent the end point of an evolutionary branch that never quite made it, whose time came and went and who has no place in the ongoing present.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The episode is now live, and if I started listening to it on a train ride to my parent's house I'd be out of my home province before it's over.
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...in-not-in-a-tree-not-in-a-boat-link-let-me-be

First segment: A 2x multiplier on the Mario Maker 2 Direct
Second segment: Spirit Tracks Retroactive, and it's the longest one yet.
Soundtrack: A massive Spirit Tracks playlist
Emails: Some places ought to try the popular vote, but Retroactive isn't one

Time: 3'01"23

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Syrenne hops in and the show goes all New Business.

First segment: Detective Pikachu (movie), the Mario Kart Tour beta, Dragalia Lost, Gui asserts his dominance in Smash, Breakforcist Battle (fuck your hashtag), Puzzle Bobble/Gunbird 2, Twinkle Star Sprites
Second segment: The Castlevania Collection / M2 overload, Elder Scrolls Online, Project Nimbus
Soundtrack: Battle of the Holy - Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth
Emails: Two shows until I personally show up to kill E3.

Time: 2'11"21

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
We're doing news this week, huh.

Opening segment: No friend play in Mario Maker 2 (you might have heard about that), all the Pokemon stuff, E3 predictions
Listener Mail: Pikachu possessed by Morgana, Labo VR In places it doesn't belong, the great disappointment that isn't E3 2019, showing DK some love
Outro: Fi's Gratitude - The Legend of Zelda; Skyward Sword
Emails: Might be held until post-E3, depending

Time: 2'15"11

Notes:
- Live E3 day 1 wrapup show on Tuesday, June 11, 9pm ET, 6 E3 time, aiming to have on the feeds within 24-28 hours
- RFN has hooked up with a redesigned Nintendo World Report Patreon with an exclusive podcast each month. The first one apparently involves fixing the unfixable: WWE. (No word on if the solution involves launching Vince McMahon into the sun.)

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia

plufim

Sep 29, 2018
This week reminded me how much I disliked the systems in Xenoblade 2 despite loving it.

So much on that game could have been made less obtuse easily.

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
To James' point about there being a generation of people in Europe that must have bee really confused when they found out what their games were meant to be like, I'm in that generation. I think the first time I discovered this was when I got the internet and looked up Sonic music and couldn't understand why every single version I found was sped up until I eventually realised that was what the music was supposed to sound like.

To this day I still think that the actual version of Starlight Zone sounds wrong because it's way too fast, and it's supposed to be a slow song.

viciouskillersquirrel

Cheering your loss
Oct 25, 2017
To James' point about there being a generation of people in Europe that must have bee really confused when they found out what their games were meant to be like, I'm in that generation. I think the first time I discovered this was when I got the internet and looked up Sonic music and couldn't understand why every single version I found was sped up until I eventually realised that was what the music was supposed to sound like.

To this day I still think that the actual version of Starlight Zone sounds wrong because it's way too fast, and it's supposed to be a slow song.
I know I'm nostalgic for Probotector. I would actually be interested in a "turbo" version like James mentioned.

Hero-of-Time

Oct 27, 2017

Yup. This is the EXACT same thing for me. I have a hard time playing a 60hz version of any 50hz game (which was all of them) I played as a kid.

I'm always baffled as to where Greg heard about the faster versions when he was younger. I was born in 1982 and I don't recall any mentions of 60hz/faster speeds/inferior UK games in the playground at the time. I did pick up a few gaming magazines with my pocket money but again, I can't remember the whole 50hz/60hz being a talking point.

I enjoyed The Last Remnant banter in this weeks podcast. A big reason why I stayed away from that game back in the 360 days was because of the enemy scaling issue. I love playing JRPGs and I like nothing better than finding a good grinding spot, spending ages there just getting exp and then going on to wipe the floor with any bosses that I've yet to defeat. When a game stops me from doing this I usually lose interest. The exception to this is Final Fantasy VIII but that's because that game is so beautifully broken that the actual character levels mean very little.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Celebrate a day all about a man who does nothing and gets paid handsomely (#lolmets) with a little RFN.

New Business: Super Mario Maker 2 (early impressions), Sea of Thieves, Doom 2k16, NHL 19, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Late game impressions, mostly spoiler free)
Listener Mail: Imagine if Chris Kohler didn't write a book about FF5, a quick look back at the 3DS, 8.5
Outro: Actraiser - Fillmore
Emails: Try to find Jon's Spiderwick Chronicles review.

Time: 2'13"02

Aero

Oct 27, 2017
Guillaume I'm sure you've already done this, but if not you should really do the Praxis and Theory blade quests in Xenoblade 2.
They're probably my favourite quest lines in the game and are all about the blade memory stuff you said you like. Plus you get them as part of side quests so you don't have to rely on luck in the gacha to start it.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia
They recorded on the 4th, and Jon was celebrating his adopted country and its great space leaders by blowing up parts of it. (Presumably.)

Listener Mail: When to issue franchise DNRs, Octopath Kart (editor's note: it's called Crash Team Racing), Death of the Wild, Nintendo and Sony star in Freaky Friday, hottest post-Reggie hunk at Nintendo, Air Ride
New Business: Virtua Racing (Switch), Super Mario Maker 2
Outro: Super Soccer - U.S.A.
Emails: See that list up there? The box needs a fillin'

Time: 2'34"19

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
I'm starting to suffer from Jon Lindemann withdrawal. I should probably seek help, but I fear it's already too late for me.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I just listened to the section about "dead" franchises, and thought there was another angle that wasn't discussed. When Nintendo was doing small scale and "Ware" games on Wii/DSi/3DS, we got a lot of really weird call backs. Including, but not limited to,

A sequel to Japan only GB shmup X

Not one but TWO sequels to an obscure Gameboy submarine game, Radar Mission.

A sequel to an obscure Japanese gameboy puzzle game, Picross.

Now that Nintendo seems to have almost completely abandoned such small scale development, it seems like our chances of getting random IP revivals is greatly diminished.

OP
OP
Shaymin

Shaymin

Oct 25, 2017
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
Ahh, that's the stuff! :-P

I gotta check out these patreon episodes. I use Pocket Casts for listening, and these naturally don't show up in the feed, so I need to remember to download them.