• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
That's not the same thing. The Base Xbox One is not going to run in the same solar system as 60fps, so they've capped it at 30fps, and it will dip constantly. What was the last 60fps FPS title that you played with an option to voluntary halve the framerate, significantly increase input latency, and so on? FPS developers are obsessed with trying to reduce input latency as much as possible. Basically nobody wants to release 30fps FPS titles, but sometimes they have to because consoles are kinda underpowered. Developers are motivated to add 30fps caps is to prevent uneven frame times on hardware that doesn't come close to 60fps. Doom 2016 runs at 60fps. So does Wolfenstein. It doesn't have a 30fps mode for the "input latency is awesome" demographic. It's never been a consideration in the FPS genre because of how paramount input responsiveness is. The Switch versions of those games run at 30fps because they have no choice.

Remember that the Xbox One S and the Xbox One X are fundamentally different consoles.

edit: Remember Prey and its kinda dogshit input latency on consoles? If Arkane had been able to get that game running at 60fps, allowing users to run at 30fps would have been nonsensical. The X version of Rage 2 is going to be a dramatically better game than the Xbox One S version. The S version is going to feel like treacle.

Forza Horizon 4 has the option and both modes are awesome in their own ways. The majority of people that play Rage 2 on console will play it on a base console...

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Forza Horizon 4 has the option and both modes are awesome in their own ways.
Forza Horizon 4 is not an FPS game. In the FPS genre, input responsiveness is more important than literally anything else. Jumping from 30fps to 60fps has a tangibly positive effect on core gamefeel. It's why almost all the big FPS series migrated to 60fps, leaving only open world games at 30fps. Now both Rage 2 and Dying Light 2 are making a firm statement that 60fps trumps everything else.
The majority of people that play Rage 2 on console will play it on a base console...
Dishonored 2 was 30fps and had bad input latency. Prey was 30fps and had bad input latency. Every Bethesda published first person game over the past few years that has been 30fps has had noticable input latency. Some have described it as "unplayable", but that's perhaps a little harsh.

If you want a good experience with Rage 2, you either buy the game on PC, which is really the platform it's intended for, or you play it on the Pro -- or preferably the X. The base consoles are on their last legs.

Oct 27, 2017
Forza Horizon 4 is not an FPS game. In the FPS genre, input responsiveness is more important than literally anything else. Jumping from 30fps to 60fps has a tangibly positive effect on core gamefeel. It's why almost all the big FPS series migrated to 60fps, leaving only open world games at 30fps. Now both Rage 2 and Dying Light 2 are making a firm statement that 60fps trumps everything else.

Dishonored 2 was 30fps and had bad input latency. Prey was 30fps and had bad input latency. Every Bethesda published first person game over the past few years that has been 30fps has had noticable input latency. Some have described it as "unplayable", but that's perhaps a little harsh.

If you want a good experience with Rage 2, you either buy the game on PC, which is really the platform it's intended for, or you play it on the Pro -- or preferably the X. The base consoles are on their last legs.

I played Prey and thought it was fine. And I thought it was widely accepted that FPS and racing games are both games where responsiveness matters. I'm not saying 60fps isn't better I'm just saying an option would be nice. Arguing that 30fps at 4K destroys the experience is bullshit especially considering they are selling this game to plenty of people on base consoles and they'll all be playing at 30.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to pass then.

Biggest worry with this game was always on the performance side because of Avalanche's involvement.

PhaZe 5

Oct 27, 2017
Framerate impacts the way game are played and how they respond. Having that as the number one priority doesnt sound like a preference to me. Resolution higher or lower is in fact preference, as it does nothing for the actual gameplay of a game

Fidelity also effects gameplay. Particularly in an open world shooter. Blurrier enemy in distance is a sniper or no?

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
Fidelity also effects gameplay. Particularly in an open world shooter. Blurrier enemy in distance is a sniper or no?

They're gonna have to take into account that when designing the gameplay. They're not gonna create gameplay segments where people cant distuinguish what they're shooting at.

Fact remains framerate is the only thing which affects how every game is played - how it responds to your commands, how you move, how you can react, how you interract with it. While resolution ... is just that, a resolution.

This forum being one of the most console focused forums in the world is likely the only reason this sort of discussion even exists.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
60fps>>>>>>>>>>>>>4K

Imo they chose to focus on performance and that is the correct decision

Somehow we were able to shoot snipers at sub-720p last gen, I think we'll manage fine here

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sorry, but I haven't spent a fortune on my 4K kit to play games in 1080p. Give me an option please.

RedbullCola

Oct 26, 2017
I'd prefer higher resolution. I have an 82 inch TV, 1080p looks jaggy unfortunately. So it's a pass from me.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I played Prey and thought it was fine. And I thought it was widely accepted that FPS and racing games are both games where responsiveness matters. I'm not saying 60fps isn't better I'm just saying an option would be nice. Arguing that 30fps at 4K destroys the experience is bullshit especially considering they are selling this game to plenty of people on base consoles and they'll all be playing at 30.
You are in the minority then because Prey not only has the drawback of 30FPS's higher input latency but it has additional input latency on top, that makes it one of the laggiest 30FPS games out there.

As for racing games, you are actually not using the right analogue as much as you would in FPS games, you aren't turning as much and as frequently. And even then Forza Horizon is one of those games where despite being an arcade racer the car does not respond instantly like it does in say NFS. So it can sort of get away with slightly higher input latency than an FPS game. Still Horizon has fantastic input latency anyway for a 30FPS game...prey not so much.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why anyone would expect it to be higher than 1080p at 60fps. Sucks for base console owners, but thems the breaks at this stage of the gen.

It's not using idTech, but rather an engine created by Avalanche. id, as far I remember, provides support for combat, art and plot.
It's basically using an improved version of Just Cause's Apex Engine.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I put racing games in the same category as shooters. Both require quick responses. The Horizon series isn't a serious racing game but the difference to me is night and day.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You are in the minority then because Prey not only has the drawback of 30FPS's higher input latency but it has additional input latency on top, that makes it one of the laggiest 30FPS games out there.

As for racing games, you are actually not using the right analogue as much as you would in FPS games, you aren't turning as much and as frequently. And even then Forza Horizon is one of those games where despite being an arcade racer the car does not respond instantly like it does in say NFS. So it can sort of get away with slightly higher input latency than an FPS game. Still Horizon has fantastic input latency anyway for a 30FPS game...prey not so much.
Wasn't fixed time ago? From what I remember DF tested Prey after the latest path and it seems framerate lag was fixed on Pro at least.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Finally a dev prioritizing framerate over resolution. Hopefully that's the norm next gen.
Not to sound rude but doesn't seems to me developers have to sweat that much to reach 60 fps. I bet they just used the more brute force of the premium machine to reach it like capcom did with RE2R. It means just the engine is very flexible more than an incredible achievement in terms enhancements. Another thing would if game would offer higher res mode too. That would require an extra work surely.

Feb 10, 2018
DOOM 2016 is set in linear corridors and small arenas while RAGE 2 features a wide open-world. Seems kind of misguided to expect the same performance from DOOM 2016 in RAGE 2.

I Disagree, doom is 3 years old and looks a bit better.
I'm not saying I'm disappointed and don't understand the reasons why, but put it this way if rage 2 were Similer to the res and fps of doom I would not be surprised.

Jun 17, 2018
At last, games like this are meant for 60fps, I can take or leave 4k. I just hope it has half decent anti-aliasing and is locked 60fps, I don't mind a few dips here and there but nothing lower than 50

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
Alot of good points but no - one option is not better. Two options *will always be better* especially given this release time when 4k is starting to take off but there are still alot of users on 1080p. 1080p/60 fps on the 1X is pretty laxy *esp* when it's more powerful than the Pro. Seems they used the Pro as an excuse to not work further on the X. 1440p/60 would be very possibly or close id say.

And we don't even now if these will be *locked* at 60 fps. 1080p plus dips on the X would be a big failure in my books.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gotta love the hyperbole where 1080p - even with the outstanding super-sampling we tend to get on the Pro and X - is now being treated like eyesore-inducing, unwatchable crap.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
Not to sound rude but doesn't seems to me developers have to sweat that much to reach 60 fps. I bet they just used the more brute force of the premium machine to reach it like capcom did with RE2R. It means just the engine is very flexible more than an incredible achievement in terms enhancements. Another thing would if game would offer higher res mode too. That would require an extra work surely.

Not to sound rude but you clearly have no idea of what your talking about. If you could just brute force your way to 60 fps that would certainly be the more common "mode" in the enhanced games. And not higher rez which is the case.

I Disagree, doom is 3 years old and looks a bit better.
I'm not saying I'm disappointed and don't understand the reasons why, but put it this way if rage 2 were Similer to the res and fps of doom I would not be surprised.

How many open world games do we have running at 60 fps this generation? Far Cry, GTA, RDR, Assassin's creed, Horizon, Whatch Dogs, Just Cause, The Division etc all run at 30 fps for a reason. MGSV is an exception but it also features far less dense environments. Expecting Rage 2 to run at 4K/60 like Doom is 100% unreasonable. It was never gonna happen. In fact, I would be really impressed if the game manage to hold a steady 60 fps at 1080p.

I feel sorry for every one that will skip this game du to the resolution. What a strange thing to do considering there is far more to image quality than just rez.

Feb 10, 2018
Not to sound rude but you clearly have no idea of what your talking about. If you could just brute force your way to 60 fps that would certainly be the more common "mode" in the enhanced games. And not higher rez which is the case.

How many open world games do we have running at 60 fps this generation? Far Cry, GTA, RDR, Assassin's creed, Horizon, Whatch Dogs, Just Cause, The Division etc all run at 30 fps for a reason. MGSV is an exception but it also features far less dense environments. Expecting Rage 2 to run at 4K/60 like Doom is 100% unreasonable. It was never gonna happen. In fact, I would be really impressed if the game manage to hold a steady 60 fps at 1080p.

I feel sorry for every one that will skip this game du to the resolution. What a strange thing to do considering there is far more to image quality than just rez.

1. I never said I expect it to run at 4k 60.
2. I'm not being unreasonable.

Last edited:

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys remember when there was a huge thread over EVERY release's res/framerate reveal? 2014 was a terrible year in games.

Thats because new consoles were fresh on everones mind. People leaped at the chance to say "haha look my box is better than yours" because people had just spent several hundred dollars on them and wanted to validate their purchases

Oct 27, 2017
Fine by me. Looks like the kind of game where 60fps is going to feel great, moreso than some extra Res.

Era is a funny old place, normally everyone is all "60fps 4 lyf, no 30fps, who cares about Res" but with this suddenly everyone gives a shit about resolution over framerate.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would prefer a 4K CBR/30fps option if possible and only if the frame rate is locked. At 1080p/60fps, im definitely hoping that the frame rate is locked as it fluctuating and going all over the place will be worse than a locked 30fps.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
So 1080p and 30fps on base PS4......like 90% of the games I've played this gen.......ok then.
Glad I was never tempted by the mid-gen upgrades,my launch PS4 has been great and is holding up well.Of course I'm not as concerned about rez/frame rates as many on these boards.I see 1080p is already unplayable for many.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like a 4k/30fps option.

From the information in the OP they didn't go for 720p/60fps mode on the base consoles so clearly performance isn't the only priority to them.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
How giving users fewer options is in anyway better? Man, people on this forum that think their preference should be forced upon others are the worst. Let people choose how they want to play.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I really don't understand this mentality at all, I mean if the game reviews well and plays good is resolution really a limiting factor for people ? I have a powerful pc and both enhanced consoles, a switch too! But I never see resolution as a reason not to buy a game. Some of my greatest games of all time are nintendo games which don't set the world alight on graphics or resolution but the gameplay is fantastic. The mindset (to me anyways) around something having to conform to x resolution or x FPS (but 60fps is welcome) is just weird to me. Surely gameplay triumphs over these factors.

I hear ya, but speaking for myself, it just depends. I love my Switch and Nintendo games, but Nintendo deliberately uses art styles that don't require sharp resolutions to look great. Their gameplay is also unparalleled.

However a game like Rage 2, with all its colourful explosions, open world design and cutting edge graphics... I would just be thinking the whole time "this would look so much better in 4K".

I really wanted to see Wreck it Ralph 2, and against my better judgement I rented it in 1080p because of Disney's silly policy to not allow their games for rent in 4K, only purchase. I could tell it was a beautiful movie, but it was lost on me in 1080p.

At the same time, I wouldn't need to see a low budget drama in 4K.