• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Glad it's 60fps. Hopefully it leaves the door open to a 4K or lower patch down the line with a 30fps option and 60fps for next gen if they don't remaster it.

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
Part of what made the OG Rage a game worth recommending despite its flaws was the fact that it looked and performed way better than a game of its scale and ambition usually did on last generation consoles and mid-range PCs of the time. (Rage was 60fps on Xbox 360, 720p with dynamic horizontal res) Was kind of hoping that would stick as the Rage franchise's 'thing'.

First one was made by ID software, the same studio that it's known to push the tech boundaries and the same studio that gave us the tech wonder DOOM
Rage 2 is made by avalanche which gave us Just cause... so yeah I wouldn't compare them

Oct 25, 2017
First one was made by ID software, the same studio that it's known to push the tech boundaries and the same studio that gave us the tech wonder DOOM
Rage 2 is made by avalanche which gave us Just cause... so yeah I wouldn't compare them

To be completely clear though, this is Avalanche Sweden, the studio that gave us Just Cause 1 and 2, and Mad Max (which runs very well on PC). Avalanche New York is responsible for the shitshows that are Just Cause 3 and 4.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
8e8NR4K.png

what

that's enough reddit for today :P

Nov 23, 2017
Want at least a higher res option, might put this into no buy territory, i'm done with 1080p. I bet itll run pretty smoothly though for a console shooter and look good

drag00n18

Banned
Dec 7, 2018
As a OneX owner I'm very ok with this. Frame rate should always be prioritized or at least give me the option of 1080p60 versus 4K30.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Not to sound rude but you clearly have no idea of what your talking about. If you could just brute force your way to 60 fps that would certainly be the more common "mode" in the enhanced games. And not higher rez which is the case.

How many open world games do we have running at 60 fps this generation? Far Cry, GTA, RDR, Assassin's creed, Horizon, Whatch Dogs, Just Cause, The Division etc all run at 30 fps for a reason. MGSV is an exception but it also features far less dense environments. Expecting Rage 2 to run at 4K/60 like Doom is 100% unreasonable. It was never gonna happen. In fact, I would be really impressed if the game manage to hold a steady 60 fps at 1080p.

I feel sorry for every one that will skip this game du to the resolution. What a strange thing to do considering there is far more to image quality than just rez.
Just because all games haven't 60 fps mode doesn't means this engine requires a major effort of optimization compared others games with "solely" higher res mode. It's all relative to the engine flexibility.

Last edited:

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it can maintain a locked 60 fps then 1080p isn't the end of the world, assuming they have a decent AA solution so the jaggies don't make my eyes bleed. This does, however, change my position on buying it day one. I'm gonna need to see it in motion. It's also more than a bit stupid that the Pro and X are running the exact same settings. I'm not even sure I want to support developers who can't put in the effort of taking advantage of the hardware.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
I promise you pro will perform better than x
Doom was able to do 60 fps on base ps4, what is this crap about 30?
One is a giant open world, another is a linear game with semi open environments. On top of that Rage runs on Apex rather than Id tech. Another thing, Doom was barely 60 on consoles with the game almost always hovering around 40 to 50 FPS so it's a little disingenuous to try and act as if it was this buttery smooth 60 FPS game when in reality it rarely maintained that target.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
One game? No, but I'm enjoying playing literally every game in 1080 on my Pro and X. I'd rather jump into 4K when the consoles are capable of native 4K with more consistent 60 frames games. I've become too used to 1080/60 with these upgrades now.
Hardly any games ever target 60 FPS on consoles and more powerful hardware will do very little to change that. Resolution has never been a deciding factor on the games FPS.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Doom was able to do 60 fps on base ps4, what is this crap about 30?
Doom took place in a series of arenas. Rage 2 is an open world game. Far Cry New Dawn is a 30fps game on consoles because open world games are very CPU hungry and console CPUs are weak. Rage 2 manages to run at 60fps on enhanced consoles. It's no different to how The Witcher 3 is 30fps on XBO/PS4/Pro, but 60fps on Xbox One X.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Hardly any games ever target 60 FPS on consoles and more powerful hardware will do very little to change that. Resolution has never been a deciding factor on the games FPS.

The CPUs in the new consoles will be far more capable at launch than the Jaguars were.

Even now you're seeing a surprising number of games hitting 60 and/or having 60 modes on the upgraded consoles.

I expect 60 to be far more common next gen.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
The CPUs in the new consoles will be far more capable at launch than the Jaguars were.

Even now you're seeing a surprising number of games hitting 60 and/or having 60 modes on the upgraded consoles.

I expect 60 to be far more common next gen.
Again don't while the hardware will be far more capable, framerates are conscientious design decisions and it's easier to push hardware with better effects and higher polygon counts than it is with higher framerates.

OP
OP
TheCrackedJack
Oct 27, 2017
To me it would seem like optimizing for 60FPS is more difficult than simply turning up the resolution. From reading posts here, it seems like limiting factor in better framerates for most enhanced games is due the CPU not being that much better in the Pro/X compared to base, whereas the GPU increase is comparatively huge.

So, what gets me in these situations is if you took the time to make this run at 60FPS, it just seems like it would be relatively easy to give an option to run at a higher resolution. Because I can't image simply turning up the resolution and leaving all the other settings alone would introduce some multitude of bugs that would cause of ton of extra time to be spent on QA. So, to not offer the option, is a bit head scratching.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
They didn't think bout another mode with higher resolution + 30 FPS / dynamic reoslution + unlocked FPS? What about improved graphical features too? I bet the base versions won't come close to high settings and no way 60 FPS in 1080p gonna solve the low resolution + the blurriness of textures, low AF or low AA. I'd sacrifice some FPS for cleaner and prettier game rather than replay the same experience of Mad Max.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Again don't while the hardware will be far more capable, framerates are conscientious design decisions and it's easier to push hardware with better effects and higher polygon counts than it is with higher framerates.

I know and I'm sure ma y devs will still unfortunately push pretty over performance.

I'm just saying I think 60 frames will be more common than it was this generation.

Igorth

Nov 13, 2017
If the game is a 60 fps title like Doom or Wolfestein I am fine not having a graphics mode, I fear for the base systems thou, its like sending the game to die if its shit on the bigger install base.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
Just because all games haven't 60 fps mode doesn't means this engine requires a major effort of optimization compared others games with "solely" higher res mode. It's all relative to the engine flexibility.

No, but considering it's an open world action game it most likely requires a lot of work and optimization to have it running at 60 fps. At least if it holds that number. Most enhanced games with performance modes fails to to keep a steady framerate. You are just guessing they could brute force their way to 60 fps with minimum effort. In my option that a really poor guess.

And please people, stop comparing this game with Doom.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
No, but considering it's an open world action game it most likely requires a lot of work and optimization to have it running at 60 fps. At least if it holds that number. Most enhanced games with performance modes fails to to keep a steady framerate. You are just guessing they could brute force their way to 60 fps with minimum effort. In my option that a really poor guess.

And please people, stop comparing this game with Doom.
You are talking like you already know lock 60fps is mandatory. Hope you are right but Square Enix promised 60 fps mode too and all we know how is ended.
In any case the fact this game will run 1080p on both premium console let's me think doesn't requires an extraordinary work to run 60 fps on premium hardware and probably it's even easier than reach sufficient higher res at 30fps. I don't try to guess just for the taste to downplay their job.

Last edited:

TonyB

Banned
Feb 25, 2019
I'm really starting to feel the pressure to upgrade with all these nice improvements. Like a 60fps vs 30fps difference is pretty big.

But I'm pretty loathe to upgrade both from my Xone and my PS4 to the newer models and I feel like Sony and Microsoft really haven't effectively communicated if they're really settling in on the hardware and we aren't going to get further backwards incompatible hardware changes like from the previous generation of the PS3 and the 360

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Not really. An engine that struggles on weaker hardware can still go up to higher framerates it's just that devs have make the decision and design around limitations.
It's not what I'm saying? If the engine is well balanced in terms of CPU/GPU usage to prioritise fps performance, it's not absolutely harder targeting 60 fps than better graphic effects.

Last edited:

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
What? That's what I've saying and then you said I was wrong so I'm not sure what you mean.
We don't know how the engine is tied in terms of resources usage, so we can't know if it's tougher to have higher res or better fps mode there. The fact the developers targeting 60 fps let's me think it's easier for them prioritise 60 fps mode than targeting enhanced graphic mode.

Last edited:

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
z

You don't know how the engine is tied in terms of resources usage, you can't know if it's tougher to have higher res or better fps mode there.
I do but what I'm saying is simply that more often than not those two aren't why one of them doesn't happen. The devs make a design decision and make that based on the limitations of their engine and hardware is part decision making progress.

Example:
Both BFV and Anthem run on Frosbite and while the engine is great on weaker CPUs one game runs at 30 FPS while another runs on a variable 60. Bioware wasn't making a 60 FPS console game even though they could because early they decided to prioritize different aspects.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I do but what I'm saying is simply that more often than not those two aren't why one of them doesn't happen. The devs make a design decision and make the based on that and the limitations of their engine is part decision making progress.

Example:
Both BFV and Anthem run on Frosbite and while the engine is great on weaker CPUs one game runs at 30 FPS while another runs on a variable 60. Bioware wasn't making a 60 FPS console game even though they because early they decided to prioritize different aspects.
Probably I'm not capable to explain me better because English is not my first language but I try again: if the engine is designed to prioritize smoother fps in terms of hardware usage, maybe it's easier for them targeting higher fps in the more powerful hardware sku than recoding again the engine for higher res/higher graphic setting.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Probably I'm not capable to explain me better because English is not my first language but I try again: if the engine is designed to prioritize smoother fps in terms of hardware usage, maybe it's easier for them targeting higher fps in the more powerful hardware sku than recoding again the engine for higher res/higher graphic setting.
I agree and I think you misunderstood my point.