• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Good choice. Even though I own a 4KTV and love the high-res look I absolutely don't mind then prioritizing high framerates when it comes to a shooter game. 1080p still looks solid and it will be much more playable at 60. Good on them.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
What if I told you that 720p was the most common gaming resolution for PC gamers according to Steam stats with 900p being second. Both of those resolutions combined make up the vast majority of current Steam users gaming resolution.

Less than 15% play at 1440p and less than 5% play at 4k.

Source? The most recent Steam hardware survey shows 1080p as the most common resolution by a pretty large margin (62%).

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i'll just pick it up on PC then. 1080p is too low.

chanunnaki

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some people are going to say: "how is choice a bad thing?"

But I still think this is the right way to do things. Options is not always a good thing and console gaming hasn't traditionally been about having those kind of choices. It materially impacted my enjoyment of some games having that option because I felt I wasn't getting the optimum experience with either mode. (FF15 being a prime example)

I prefer devs to focus on hitting targets in one mode, then maybe releasing the other mode in a patch after a couple of months

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody should be happy about this happening. And this is coming from someone with an Enhanced Console.

I'll be honest not giving base console owners a choice is horrible.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
No resolution mode? No thanks! Not gonna play it at 1080p. Will get it on PC I guess.

klik

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
>1080p in 2019
1532303199747.png

Why is that strange? Still more than 60% people are using 1080p monitor and 10% are still on 1366x768.

Oct 25, 2017
I was expecting doom 2016 like performance.

Doom isn't open world.

That's not the point. Base console owners should have a choice on what way they want to play the game. Sorry if I didn't make myself more clear.

You want a 600p/60fps ootion?

It's really funny to me how often people used to complain about playing games at 30 FPS or sub 60 FPS for years and to now hear people complain about being forced to play at 60 FPS instead of 30

Exactly. You lose either way it seems. Give me any shooter at 60fps if I have to choose.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
No, this isn't how it's supposed to be. That's just your personal preference,

Framerate impacts the way game are played and how they respond. Having that as the number one priority doesnt sound like a preference to me. Resolution higher or lower is in fact preference, as it does nothing for the actual gameplay of a game

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is what happens when people buy 4K TVs for their consoles despite 4K being a gimmick that one of the brightest minds in videogame graphics considers a waste of resources. People have been sold a product that by and large is redundant, and that results in buyer's remorse that they project onto game developers. You're gonna see a repeat of this with Dying Light 2, which is targeting 60fps on consoles.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
1080p? Is this a joke? Offering no options is no fun at all. I was expecting 4k30/1080p60, at the very least.

I may cancel this and buy it on pc, my rig can likely run the game flawlessly anyway... but that's a massive shame.

Edit: of course the biggest worry I have about this is control. This isn't id software, it's not their engine. I'm used to id software games being perfect control wise with zero input lag or delay. I'm worried this won't be.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
1080p? Is this a joke? Offering no options is no fun at all. I was expecting 4k30/1080p60, at the very least.

I may cancel this and buy it on pc, my rig can likely run the game flawlessly anyway... but that's a massive shame.

Edit: of course the biggest worry I have about this is control. This isn't id software, it's not their engine. I'm used to id software games being perfect control wise with zero input lag or delay. I'm worried this won't be.
You have a good pc and you are buying X1X games? Single player ones?

It does not use idtech and has very different design goals that are presumably quite a bit heavier than Doom 2016 - I am not surprised by its performance. In fact, I imagine it will drop from 60 fps due to CPU at times. Open world and all that.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why anyone would choose 4k/30 over 1080p/60.
It's like double the fluidity and responsiveness.

You are playing the game after all not just watching it.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Framerate impacts the way game are played and how they respond. Having that as the number one priority doesnt sound like a preference to me. Resolution higher or lower is in fact preference, as it does nothing for the actual gameplay of a game

It is preferance when you're sacrificing resolution. I think it's not worth it. I'd rather play at higher res instead. It's a single player game. Don't tell me what I should prefer.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Pass for me until a discount then, prefer the option of having 4K/30 especially on the X.

Putty

Double Eleven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Middlesbrough
Dynamic res not an option? Surprised. You'd think at least then the X version will have superior IQ and some extra bells and whistles.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
This is the first time where playing on a base PS4 is going to really sting. I may be tempted to wait for the inevitable PS5 version because imagining a game that feels like Doom 2016 running at 30 FPS sounds like a big negative.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is fine. Rage looks rather massive. If they went 4k/30 I would've been more disappointed. They prioritize framerates here.

Time for a new generation? I dunno. The base PS4 and Xbox are pretty much done for but the Pro and X1X can still go on for a bit. On Ps360 we would've gotten 640p at 25fps by now. What we're getting here is very playable and decent to look at.

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No buy for me. One does not simply go back to 1080p after experiencing so many games at 4K.

Hopefully it hits Gamepass soon after.

I really don't understand this mentality at all, I mean if the game reviews well and plays good is resolution really a limiting factor for people ? I have a powerful pc and both enhanced consoles, a switch too! But I never see resolution as a reason not to buy a game. Some of my greatest games of all time are nintendo games which don't set the world alight on graphics or resolution but the gameplay is fantastic. The mindset (to me anyways) around something having to conform to x resolution or x FPS (but 60fps is welcome) is just weird to me. Surely gameplay triumphs over these factors.

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
You have a good pc and you are buying X1X games? Single player ones?

It does not use idtech and has very different design goals that are presumably quite a bit heavier than Doom 2016 - I am not surprised by its performance. In fact, I imagine it will drop from 60 fps due to CPU at times. Open world and all that.

Yeah I buy console games, why not? I buy both. I don't limit myself to one format. Sometimes I love to sit at a computer desk and play proper, sometimes I like to just sit in front of the tv with a controller and no fuss, knowing I can pick my game up on the Xbox upstairs any time I want to.

Choices, man, choices!!

As for performance, I never thought it would hit 60 at 4k, I never even expected it. It's too large and detailed a game. But I would have thought 4k 30 would be possible. I mean the game looks good but not THAT good, even more so when I've just come away from New Dawn running 4k/60 flawless, and am now playing The Division 2 which is a much more detailed and complex game running 4k30.

Seems like a huge oversight and hope to see a toggle at some point. Getting very tired of being forced into things like this, it should be my choice. It's the same as FOV.... that should be user choice.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
I really don't understand this mentality at all, I mean if the game reviews well and plays good is resolution really a limiting factor for people ? I have a powerful pc and both enhanced consoles, a switch too! But I never see resolution as a reason not to buy a game. Some of my greatest games of all time are nintendo games which don't set the world alight on graphics or resolution but the gameplay is fantastic. The mindset (to me anyways) around something having to conform to x resolution or x FPS (but 60fps is welcome) is just weird to me. Surely gameplay triumphs over these factors.
Maybe it's not meant for you to understand...

Just as someone who thinks resolution can't be a dealbreaker for someone else as much as framerate would be a dealbreaker for them isn't meant for me to understand. There's literally nothing weird about not wanting to play a game in 1080p, ESPECIALLY for those of us who already have a home full of 4k televisions...

SuperRaddy

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe it's not meant for you to understand...

Just as someone who thinks resolution can't be a dealbreaker for someone else as much as framerate would be a dealbreaker for them isn't meant for me to understand. There's literally nothing weird about not wanting to play a game in 1080p, ESPECIALLY for those of us who already have a home full of 4k televisions...

Perhaps not, I just let gameplay do the talking over Rez/FPS 😀 a good game is a good game. I guess I'll leave this enigma to the recess of my mind.

Ps I have 4K tv's but if you sit far enough away from it..... /s 😝

Oct 27, 2017
I think they are making the right choice. 60 fps @1080p will look better than checkerboarded 30@4k in most of the cases with these consoles for fast moving games imo. Then you are not left with checkerboard and motion blur to compensate which looks flat out horrible in high speed games.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I always wonder what people are already playing when they complain about 30 fps
At least on base consoles. Exactly my thoughts.

The option for high res/30fps should be there, though. I mean, it's an option, as simple as it gets and there should always be such an option.

Source? The most recent Steam hardware survey shows 1080p as the most common resolution by a pretty large margin (62%).
Also, the Steam surveys doesn't distinguish between game's res and desktop res, IIRC. I have a 1080p monitor but often play at 4k nonetheless. Sometimes I also switch to my 4k TV. I don't think Steam's surveys take that into consideration. And I think there are many people who use DSR for +1080p rendering; let alone ingame resolution scale sliders in some games.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
On the base Xbox One version of this game? Lol
That's not the same thing. The Base Xbox One is not going to run in the same solar system as 60fps, so they've capped it at 30fps, and it will dip constantly. What was the last 60fps FPS title that you played with an option to voluntary halve the framerate, significantly increase input latency, and so on? FPS developers are obsessed with trying to reduce input latency as much as possible. Basically nobody wants to release 30fps FPS titles, but sometimes they have to because consoles are kinda underpowered. Developers are motivated to add 30fps caps is to prevent uneven frame times on hardware that doesn't come close to 60fps. Doom 2016 runs at 60fps. So does Wolfenstein. It doesn't have a 30fps mode for the "input latency is awesome" demographic. It's never been a consideration in the FPS genre because of how paramount input responsiveness is. The Switch versions of those games run at 30fps because they have no choice.

Remember that the Xbox One S and the Xbox One X are fundamentally different consoles.

edit: Remember Prey and its kinda dogshit input latency on consoles? If Arkane had been able to get that game running at 60fps, allowing users to run at 30fps would have been nonsensical. The X version of Rage 2 is going to be a dramatically better game than the Xbox One S version. The S version is going to feel like treacle.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The choice would be nice. 1080p is pretty ugly when you're use to 4k stuff. Hopefully they wack in some texture options etc, since 1X Grunt is going to waste here