• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Weird obsessions over 'options' when you're playing a fast paced shooter, you will barely notice 4K over 1080p on a tv screen.

Playing god of war at 60 then switching to 4K felt Pointless, you could hardly tell. But you could feel the disgusting 30fps.

MetalGear?

Nov 8, 2017
Weird obsessions over 'options' when you're playing a fast paced shooter, you will barely notice 4K over 1080p on a tv screen.

Playing god of war at 60 then switching to 4K felt Pointless, you could hardly tell. But you could feel the disgusting 30fps.
Are you playing on a 4K screen? Cause the difference was very clear to me.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
I wish there was more excitement for this game. I think the overall design and open world approach is a good shift from the last game.

With MS's current strategy, this will get a patch for 4K 60 on the next Xbox making it cross-gen without the double dip.

I'm in for PC, either way. CD keys has the base version at 40 dollars, anyhow.

Josef Dixon

Nov 1, 2017
Sweden
Yeah I buy console games, why not? I buy both. I don't limit myself to one format. Sometimes I love to sit at a computer desk and play proper, sometimes I like to just sit in front of the tv with a controller and no fuss, knowing I can pick my game up on the Xbox upstairs any time I want to.

Choices, man, choices!!

As for performance, I never thought it would hit 60 at 4k, I never even expected it. It's too large and detailed a game. But I would have thought 4k 30 would be possible. I mean the game looks good but not THAT good, even more so when I've just come away from New Dawn running 4k/60 flawless, and am now playing The Division 2 which is a much more detailed and complex game running 4k30.

Seems like a huge oversight and hope to see a toggle at some point. Getting very tired of being forced into things like this, it should be my choice. It's the same as FOV.... that should be user choice.

I assume you've been playing New Dawn on your PC? Because the game is 4K/30 on Xbox One X.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Finally, investing in the updated consoles pays off.

I honestly couldn't care less about 4k if it means playing the game at 30 fps, especialy for first person perspective games (Far Cry 5 really pissed me off).

What were the other games that got 60 fps enhancements? I can only think of Battleborn, which felt so much better at 60 (too bad nobody played it).

Gavin Stevens

Team Blur Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Telford, Shropshire
I assume you've been playing New Dawn on your PC? Because the game is 4K/30 on Xbox One X.

You know what, I didn't even know that. I played the game and it felt so tight and responsive I just didn't even think otherwise, I just rolled with it.

That should say how important frame rate and responsiveness is, really. But also that a 4k/30 option would be brilliant.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm not talking GoW specifically here but in general terms 1080p vs 4k's effect can be completely different person to person, depending on how far someone sits from their display.

If you sit at a desk or sit a couple of feet from a large HDTV then of course you're going to notice that 4k has much better image quality than 1080p but if you're sitting in a decent sized living room then every foot you sit further back from the TV, the lesser and lesser the impact 4k has and that's not even getting into the viewers eyesight.

People who play docked Switch should try sliding their chair back a few feet because with that few feet you eliminate or greatly help a lot of the issues Switch has (upscaling, no AA and low resolution textures).

Personally 60fps is much, much more of a positive game changer to video games than a crisper image but I also agree that Rage 2 should have a 4k and a 1080/60 option on console.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
They could've bumped down the resolution on base hardware to make it run at 60fps. First person shooters, third person shooters are so much more engaging and fun when the frame rate is 60fps. Here's hoping game developers try to focus on hitting 60fps on every single shooter game on next gen. Wonder when the devs out there will understand the importance of 60fps mantra for shooters on consoles!

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Shitty ass CPU like in PS4 Pro.

Probably not the issue. Generally framerate is more limited by the CPU and resolution by the GPU. LOTS of games have massively higher resolution on the X1X vs. Pro. If both are 60fps at 1080p, people are totally within reason to think the X1X should *easily* do at least 1440p.

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not the issue. Generally framerate is more limited by the CPU and resolution by the GPU. LOTS of games have massively higher resolution on the X1X vs. Pro. If both are 60fps at 1080p, people are totally within reason to think the X1X should *easily* do at least 1440p.

We don't know how stable either version is. Possible 1080p is actually the limit at which X1's GPU can handle a 16.7ms frame time consistently.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017

The point I was making was 1080p *seems* to be the resolution where the game can consistently run at 60fps. Going higher than that probably impacts framerate. There's no doubt if they pushed the resolution higher that X1X would be able to run it better but at what cost? They probably want a locked 60 like Doom and anything else is unacceptable.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Even though high frame rate on Pro is exactly what I want, I do still think there should be a 4K/30fps option for those who want it.

That's what these mid-gen consoles were made for, weren't they? The power of choice?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
1080p is ok, glad they prioritized framerate over resolution, however it is weird both PSPro and X run the same resolution/setting

Last edited:

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
1080p is ok, glad they prioritized framerate over resolution, however it is weird both PSPro and X run the same resolution
Agreed. Unless they have some higher textures and graphical options for the 1X, all that GPU, RAM and bandwidth is surely going to waste. I will wait for the DF analysis before fully judging it but lack of options is a letdown.