• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I went looking for the answers to a few questions people had about Rage 2 after the debut.

Highlights:
  • The game is 30 FPS on XB1 and PS4 and 60 FPS on XBX and PS4 Pro. PC can be whatever.
  • Rage 2 runs on Avalanche's Apex engine.
  • Avalanche is also the main developer on the game with id giving advise and guidance.
  • Rage 2 is currently singleplayer only. I say currently as there's a bunch of "for now" type language here followed up with immediate assertions of a bunch of post launch and live service type updates to keep bringing people back. (Also take a look at recent Prey and Wolfenstein announcements for examples of what Bethesda's been doing post launch.)
  • The reason Rage 2 is singleplayer only is that the game is very large and it's the first id type game Avalanche is making, so they thought it made sense to focus on the campaign.
  • Avalanche states that the game has hundreds of hours of content.
  • id stated that they will be talking about whether your character's gender is selectable in the future (which, uh, presumably means yes?). The character is also fully voiced.
  • id notes that there is a lot of skin customization for weapons and vehicles, and that they're still figuring out how you will acquire those. (They were asked if it was lootboxes or crafting.)
  • Crafting does return in general though.
  • The first game's protagonist will not be back.
  • id also notes that there are some social community elements at launch even though there isn't multiplayer.
  • id notes that extending the life of their games with post launch services is something they're looking at more generally too (like, perhaps, a game called Doom "Eternal".)
  • Most other things Avalanche and id talked about were stuff that was apparent from the Bethesda conference video.
Sources:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF5gammd3O0
https://www.msn.com/da-dk/video/spil/rage-2-magnus-nedfors-interview/vp-AAyyepI
https://www.pcgamesn.com/rage-2/rage-2-multiplayer
https://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/rage-2-battle-royal-1202840316/
https://stevivor.com/features/unpacked/rage-2-things-we-know-about-the-game/

Last edited:

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Ah, another big budget single player game that people will cry about it's kind dying or something, then proceed to not support this game

The cycle begins again

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I'm glad they're not doing MP, just focus solely on the SP. I can't even remember the name of the protag so I'm fine with them not coming back lol.

60fps is also good news, would have been weird to have them all be 30fps after how big of a deal 60fps was with the first one. Then again, that was a different engine.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
This is the first Bethesda game since FO4 that I'm genuinely interested in buying at launch. It being completely open world rather than lineair makes me happy.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
If Nicholas isn't in the game, I wonder if they're going to at least explain what happened to him. It would be a good way to expand on that nonexistent conclusion to RAGE 1.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
It's so weird to me when Bethesda-published shooters don't use idTech.

It's extra weird now when id is directly involved.

I guess maybe it's because of the open world or vehicles?

MarineMountie

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Damn. I was watching the conference in a party chat and all 8 of us agreed that if it was coop we would get it. You win some and lose some I guess. A game like this screams coop shenanigans.

I will probably still purchase it, but it will be a year or two down the line.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
The last few Bethesda products that have been published have sold poorly so it's surprising that they're continuing this trend of making big budget, SP only games despite that. I don't expect Rage to sell better than Dishonored / Wolf / TEW

You'd think this would be a GAAS product initially considering

Sub Level

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's so weird to me when Bethesda-published shooters don't use idTech.

It's extra weird now when id is directly involved.

I guess maybe it's because of the open world or vehicles?

Nope. Quake Champions is bethesda published and id is directly involved with that title as well. That game has no vehicles and just regular size arena maps.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Not ID-Tech? Surprising.
Avalanche's Mad Max team is making it and they already have a kick-ass open world engine, so no point going for Id tech. Considering Mad Max iteration of the engine was GPU heavy and not CPU heavy like the Just Cause iteration of the engine, it makes sense now that the Pro/X version can do 60FPS.

OP
OP
Nirolak

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Quake Champions is bethesda published and id is directly involved with that title as well. That game has no vehicles and just regular size arena maps.
Though Quake Champions is also not idtech, to be clear.

VentureBeat said:
Most of the Quake Champions team is on the Saber side, with only about five people—some producers and a designer—from id. So the studio has a lot of creative freedom, though Karch is quick to point out that, ultimately, the buck stops with Tim Willits, as the creative director of id. Saber is used to these kinds of collaborations. It did most of the work on Halo: Anniversary and Halo: The Master Chief Collection, and it was working on Halo Online before it was shelved indefinitely.
Saber's technical foundation is also why Quake Champions doesn't use id Tech, instead running on a hybrid engine designed by Saber. "We did a deep dive with id's Tim Willits," Karch explains, "and we decided our rendering would be the better choice, but there were things that id was doing that we really wanted to incorporate. It's probably less incorporating and more replicating. We looked at the way they handled certain types of things from cameras to controls to player physics and used what they did as a foundation."
Source: https://venturebeat.com/2017/12/07/saber-interactive-classic-shooters-show-off-technical-chops/

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
100s of hours of content? Man every open world game that claims that gets boring for me really fast, content wise.

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The write ups from the hands on demos sound pretty promising. It sounds like there's a large emphasis on the nano powers and linking them together along with environmental damage and grenades (and guns obviously). So perhaps bulletstorm comparisons were sort of apt.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
It looked much better than it had any right to so I'm interested. Hopefully through these 100s of hours content there's a decent amount polished and good.