• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
It's "soft" to consider the impact these things have perpetuating negative stereotypes?

It's "soft" to consider those whose representation is largely in a negative light, who are already demonized by society?

It's "soft" to stand up for the countless issues that plague society?

Get over ourselves because we think these things are important and you can just ignore them easily?

Come on now...

Just gonna quote in full because I 100% agree. Honestly, the rebranding of dissent against the problematic status quo as "soft" is ludicrous to me. Aren't the heroes the ones standing up for the marginalized and historically forgotten? But no, what's "hardcore" or "manly" or "heroic" is accepting the status quo and toughing it out, not taking up the infinitely more important and difficult task of making a better world. That just makes you a whiner.

EDIT: I used "manly" because of the historical sexism, not because I agree with that historical sexism, just to clarify

mr teaspoon

Banned
Feb 22, 2018
What an inconsiderate comment. Maybe consider for a moment how others might feel.

Uhhhhh, you did see that the dude called me trash and swine, right?

Dude with cleft-palate sees game portraying characters with same or similar disfigurements as villains or idiots, points out that its kinda shitty, and somehow he's the asshole.

Cool. Fucking cool.

I never called him an asshole. Did you want to actually talk to me, or are you just taking your frustrations out on me?

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
No, because Bloodborne doesn't tie disability to moral alignment. The wheelchair Yharnamites are not bad because they're in a wheelchair, they're just part of a wide variety of townspeople gone mad. Gherman is also missing a leg and partially bound to a wheelchair; he's one of the most sympathetic and prominent characters.

That's also a really good argument.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
It's really fucking disappointing coming from this forum. It's the sort of shit I expect to see on Reddit, not Resetera, which makes me wonder why I'm on Resetera in the first place.
You and me both. It's threads like this that show how much of Era's "progressiveness" is a facade upheld by strict moderation.

I'm also kind of stunned and shaking my head about some of the posts in this thread, but I think the "progressive voice" on Era primarily has come and has to continue coming from the userbase, rather than the mods.

I am a little surprised we're not seeing any moderation in this thread at all though, seems like an inordinate number of people trying to minimize concerns from an author who wrote an article in good faith.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Definitely don't share the feelings of the writer on this... but fuck anyone whose going ahead and mocking them for how they feel about it. There's no excuse for that shit.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
mCedlPK.jpg

Both sides gonna fight and call each other names ... can we have a civilized discussion?

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Please, elaborate. What about this article makes the website the worst?
from everything to get mad at, get's mad at a video game with a post-apocalyptic video game for having mutant enemies in it. Just let that sink in.

and that trademark polygon clickbait title. I've had them on my blacklist ever since their shitty farcry 5 review.

WadeIt0ut

Oct 28, 2017
Iowa
I mean isn't a cleft lip literally a genetic mutation? Is the game saying they are the villains specifically because they have this mutation?

-2B-

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 23, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Drive-By Trolling in a Sensitive Thread
now we are upset about mutants in a shooter

teague

Dec 17, 2018
If I had to guess, they dislike the fact that a gaming website does anything more than go "Game good!"
from everything to get mad at, get's mad at a video game with a post-apocalyptic video game for having mutant enemies in it. Just let that sink in.

and that trademark polygon clickbait title. I've had them on my blacklist ever since their shitty farcry 5 review.

shortest time from prediction to prediction coming true I've ever seen

astro

Oct 25, 2017

And none of that changes the fact that the negative portrayals in this context are in abundance in media, and they have a knock on effect in reality.

Denying this is naive as hell.

mr teaspoon

Banned
Feb 22, 2018

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Please, elaborate. What about this article makes the website the worst?
They posted some editorial that said something bad about that poster's favorite game and hurt their feelings. :(

I find it incredible how gamers, who get outraged and offended by a low score for the new flavor of the month hyped game, can belittle someone getting upset over the cleft lip they were born with being demonized. Products matter more to gamers than people.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Fine if you also want to call me names. I was just wondering if you got the hypocrisy. I guess you didn't.

No. The article is rightly being mocked.
Your denial (of your trashy original post and the article's concerns) is the precise thing we're standing against: ignorance. That you think you're somehow right is fucking upsetting.

Amauri14

Oct 27, 2017
Danbury, CT, USA
Polygon loves to find ways to get people outraged at them for clicks. It's a huge reach to claim mutants look like cleft lip people.

Wheee do we draw the line lmao.

Not all German soldiers were nazis
Not all Russians in MW2 are evil
Not all bandits in uncharted are bad
Boomers from L4D attack fat people
Smokers from L4D stigmatize smokers
Yeah, to be honest, I never saw a connection with those mutants and a left palate until now.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017

Really stripping any and all nuance from the article I see. Then again, makes it easier to build a strawman that way.

Coming into a thread to complain about a website that you already refuse to read... Just let that sink in.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet

Okay, so you're starting off with the "children are starving in Africa" fallacy and implying that there are "better" things to get mad at. Then, of course, you're painting with broad strokes and implying that the writer is mad - which, he isn't. He had an interview with a person working on the game a year ago where he brought up his concerns regarding the cleft-palette mutants, and the producer said they would try to have a conversation with other creators about it. Then, upon playing the game, the writer was disappointed because all the cleft-palette mutants are evil and the conversation never happened.

He isn't angry, he's just voicing an opinion from a different viewpoint in a very calm way. The biggest "outrage" is coming from the people who are trying to paint this as "outrage."

And it's not about mutant enemies, it's about a specific deformity being coded with just evil mutants, and more conventionally looking people all being the good guys. There's a lot more nuance to the article and it's opinion than a broad "RAR GAMER ANGRY AT MINOR THING."

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Polygon does absolutely have issues with some of its written content (I stopped keeping up with it after consuming a few too many poorly researched and culturally ignorant articles) but this article is not one of those. This is a legitimate issue that should be discussed and people writing this off as being dumb or an overreaction are showing their lack of empathy for others.

mr teaspoon

Banned
Feb 22, 2018
Your denial (of your trashy original post and the article's concerns) is the precise thing we're standing against: ignorance. That you think you're somehow right is fucking upsetting.

We can discuss the issue if you want to. But please gtfo with the idea that I'm somehow denying what I wrote, as if I have any reason or incentive to. If you can't wrap your brain around the distinction of being against an idea without being against a person, that's your problem, not mine.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why y'all bother responding to accounts with double digit posts after over a years time on this site like they have a nuanced opinion.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Guy complains about his physical deformity being generally stigmatized and tied to the villains in a game: "What a whiny baby, society is getting too soft, why can't people grow a thicker skin."

Far Cry 5 gets a negative review: "FUCK THOSE POLYGON ASSHOLES LITERALLY THE WORST

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
We can discuss the issue if you want to. But please gtfo with the idea that I'm somehow denying what I wrote, as if I have any reason or incentive to. If you can't wrap your brain around the distinction of being against an idea without being against a person, that's your problem, not mine.
No, your original post was a trashy contribution. Don't play the victim.
Those of us calling you out have already engage positively, all you've done so far is drop a stupid/ignorant drive-by and act the victim when called out.

If you actually wanted to engage you would have done so, that's not what what you're doing though.

Oct 25, 2017
Polygon does absolutely have issues with some of its written content (I stopped keeping up with it after consuming a few too many poorly researched and culturally ignorant articles) but this article is not one of those. This is a legitimate issue that should be discussed and people writing this off as being dumb or an overreaction are showing their lack of empathy for others.

Problem is while this might be a legitimate article, Polygon has a stigma that surrounds it.

mr teaspoon

Banned
Feb 22, 2018
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling a sensitive topic and antagonizing other members over a series of posts
No, your original post was a trashy contribution. Don't play the victim.
Those of us calling you out have already engage positively, all you've done so far is drop a stupid/ignorant drive-by and act the victim when called out.

If you actually wanted to engage you would have done so, that's not what what you're doing though.

I'm not a victim, you're just reading more into my comment than I wrote. I didn't mock anyone. I didn't suggest that any individual should be mocked. You assumed that I did and were wrong.

I repeat, if you have a problem with the concept of my taking issue with what the author is writing while simultaneously not having any personal animus towards the author, that's your problem and not mine.

I get that you WANT me to have written 'hur hur, fuck this guy, he should be made fun of,' because that'd be a real no brainer to dunk on. But I didn't say it.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Guy complains about his physical deformity being generally stigmatized and tied to the villains in a game: "What a whiny baby, society is getting too soft, why can't people grow a thicker skin."

Far Cry 5 gets a negative review: "FUCK THOSE POLYGON ASSHOLES LITERALLY THE WORST"

The Venn-Diagram of people who think this article should be rightly mocked and the people who were upset Mortal Kombat's clothing isn't revealing enough is probably a circle.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Problem is while this might be a legitimate article, Polygon has a stigma that surrounds it.

In my experience, Polygon articles about more serious subjects tend to be well researched and thoughtfully written. Most of the time I found their more casual content to be the one i took issue with.

Also I haven't actually seen anyone in this thread or on twitter generally bring up the general complaints I had about polygon--almost everyone is taking issue with Polygon's attempt at writing about social justice issues, which signals more that they take issue with the concept of talking about social justice rather than Polygon's not so great research standards. The stigma I mentioned isn't at play; it's just people who have issue with the concept of having to question a problematic game element.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a victim, you're just reading more into my comment than I wrote. I didn't mock anyone. I didn't suggest that any individual should be mocked. You assumed that I did and were wrong.

I repeat, if you have a problem with the concept of my taking issue with what the author is writing while simultaneously not having any personal animus towards the author, that's your problem and not mine.

I get that you WANT me to have written 'hur hur, fuck this guy, he should be made fun of,' because that'd be a real no brainer to dunk on. But I didn't say it.
Here's the thing though. You're dunking on a piece that is very much about the dude who wrote it and his reaction to a thing in Rage 2. To dunk on the piece inherently dunks on the guy who wrote it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Actually, you're putting quite a few words into my mouth. I never claimed anything that you just wrote.

Your "rightly" comment spawned this, it was called out... rightly.

If you actually want to productively engage, then take the L, move on and, re-engage with some of the productive posts.