• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Gigatextures!

Weird trailer, but i'm very okay with the "Fury Road on Acid" tone of it. Bring on that ingame footage!

Oct 25, 2017
Official site also has the box art:

Heatwave_triple-3D-boxfronts-EN-ESRB-02.png

Sunset Overdrive vibe <3

Cool trailer btw.

Pyroblazer

Oct 30, 2017
I liked the first one, so I am interested in a sequel. But a bit disappointed that it isn't developed by Id. I loved the gunplay from the first game and Avalanche isn't really my cup of tea usually, so let's hope they do their best, driving mechanics will be probably fun. Also I am not really sure why Avalanche is doing it, they just developed Mad Max and now they are doing the same game without the license?

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
So it must be open world I guess. I hope it's still first person and main gameplay is as good... mad max looked great but gameplay sucked...

okelF

Banned
Jan 20, 2018
Seems like it's co-developed by id Software and Avalanche

From the german site https://bethesda.net/de/game/rage2:
id gives them the engine and old assets I'm guessing and they make a game. Bethesda invested heavily into hiring engine experts for id once Carmack and co. left, they have the main cryengine dudes, best of Nixxes and more. id tech now at v6.5 matching latest features for the new APIs.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely PS4/XB/PC and maybe Switch later(?)
Also that "co-developed" feels like PR talk; Avalanche will definitely be doing the heavy lifting on this one.
Oh holy shit. ID for the shooting and avalanche for the driving stuff. This could be fucking awesome then!
So, when Bethesda first unveiled Quake Champions, they said it was made by id and that Saber was helping out with technology.

Saber later revealed that only 5 id staffers were working on the game, and that Saber did everything else, and it was also built on Saber's engine instead of idtech.

Surely ID Tech 6, right?
Saber used their own engine for Quake Champions, so I would expect this is using Avalanche's engine.

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The people responsible for Just Cause and Mad Max (the game), count me in!

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. Avalanche Software.

Never liked any of their games. Incredibly boring worlds and repetitive missions.
I really liked JC2 back when it came out and had crazy fun with it. Then JC3 came out and now I'm cautious.

Edit:
So, when Bethesda first unveiled Quake Champions, they said it was made by id and that Saber was helping out with technology.

Saber later revealed that only 5 id staffers were working on the game, and that Saber did everything else, and it was also built on Saber's engine instead of idtech.

Saber used their own engine for Quake Champions, so I would expect this is using Avalanche's engine.
Exactly. Make no mistake, this is all Avalanche Studios.

Jamie Summers

Nov 15, 2017
This is so weird. Maybe Avalanche couldn't get the Mad Max license twice and so this is some unholy combination of the sequel to that + a known IP... i guess it makes business sense? Trailer aesthetic is pretty shitty though.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Andrew FUCKING WK in 2018? I might just buy the game for that alone

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
Not judging the game til I see more but I hate that announcement trailer. Like really hate it.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To expand on what I posted earlier, this is very much the right direction to move in terms of marketing. Selling this as an over serious sequel to a game that didn't get a lot of love in the first place wouldn't have been much of a sell at all.

They needed to differentiate it and try a different hook. Over the top / fun / embracing the crazy is the right call here imo. Doesn't mean the game will be a success or good but this is a better marketing tactic than trying to sell a RAGE 2 completely straight faced

IgnotumCL

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Avalanche, lets hope they do a better job than they did with their last two games. Both which could have been good but were seriously lacking. Mad Max was the most boring exciting game I played... the driving was great, the rest so repetitive, and just cause was a technical mess with a weird (rushed) ending and again very repetitive.

Same feeling

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Oof.

The Walmart leak was a better reveal than this. If a gameplay trailer is launching tomorrow, they should have 86'd this and went with that. Add some quip about the Walmart screw up to the accompany the trailer launch and be done with it. I imagine they shot this a while back and felt like they had to use it because they paid for it, but it's strange now given the way things have gone.

Interesting that Avalanche is on it since they developed the Mad Max game, which I thought was cool. Hoping this turns out great, I'm a fan of Bethesda's output and the way they move as a studio/publisher.

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing Avalanche is working on this made me go from a "why does this exist?"

To "fuck this games existence"

Mad Max was one of the dullest, unfun and boring open world games I have ever played. This just makes me feel they are just going to take their stuff from Mad Max and apply it in first person. Not to mention the garish aesthetic.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair to Just Cause 3, that was made by a team of 80 people in like 2 years. If this is Avalanche Sweden's game, it would have way more people and development time.

That said, Mad Max was also not good, so...

Apr 11, 2018
Sweden
This would've been huge at E3 if it wasn't leaked. Anyways, the biggest wtf for me is that Avalanche is developing it. Huge get for Bethesda since that leaves ID free to do whatever they want for now, totally didn't see it coming. I wonder if everything on the Walmart list is true and Just Cause 4 is also happening and if they're doing both projects at the same time. Could be interesting for sure, we'll see what the future holds for both of the games and also Avalanche as they seem to be somewhat growing :p

Flash

Oct 27, 2017
Not even mad Max was that mad.... doesn't look Neo noir to me.
Have you seen the recent mad Max film? I mean it's just a more colorized version of it.

First thing I thought of. The first game was a mix of Mad Max / Boarderlands but the driving was a chore after a while. Hopefully they make driving not a pain in this sequel.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
The Mad Max game is kind of a hidden gem. with an excellently designed open world and excellent car racing and combat. Avalanche is perfect for Rage, after how well they handled those aspects of Mad Max

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Just to remind everybody what Avalanche Engine (APEX) is capable of (not my screens)

snip

more here https://imgur.com/a/24vUK

Soooo can't wait to see gameplay tomorrow :D

Yep, looks like the perfect engine to render Rage's deserts and rocky wastelands :P

Kidding, but tbh i don't remember seeing anything Avalanche looking like that. i'll give the guys some credit though since JC2 was an impressive technical achievment last gen.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Official site also has the box art:

Heatwave_triple-3D-boxfronts-EN-ESRB-02.png
Dang, really digging that cover art!

I really enjoyed Rage, and was excited when this news leaked last week. Avalanche studios is interesting, I also really enjoyed Mad Max, and was hoping for a sequel. But, this seems to be a good match, and I'm excited to see what gameplay is like. I'm hoping they can iterate on the great mechanics, AI, and animation of the first one.

Rage wasn't full blown dark/serious, it had some "lighter" / wacky moments. So I don't think this the tone of the trailer is out of place, though it does look like it might be much more gonzo than before.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
What a terrible trailer. I just want to know what are the advertisers thinking about their target audience...

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Seems like it's co-developed by id Software and Avalanche

From the german site https://bethesda.net/de/game/rage2:
That makes more sense. I figured Id had to be involved somehow because of the 250+ developers, about half worked on DOOM, and only a few worked on Quake. There's roughly 100ish unaccounted for. So, Id does the shooting mechanics and Avalanche does the Open World, eh? I wonder how it is for Id to work on an engine that isn't their own for once? If it's open world we can assume it's using the APEX engine.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Avalanche? Not sure about them. They're most probably not going to use Id Tech 6, which means it won't be 60fps. I really hope it's a locked 30fps at least. Don't want another JC3 situation.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
It is smart of Bethesda to put Avalanche on this since they already had the engine and tech down for this type of game.

Status
Not open for further replies.