• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Open world was such a mistake in this. Vehicles handle terribly, driving between locations just isn't fun. Every time I finish clearing an outpost or Ark, its so depressing trudging back to your car. Shame, too, because the shooting and traversal/abilities are really good.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone have any idea what the online in this game does? I don't understand why this game shows the friend list in the main menu or why I saw someone on my friends lists name in the environment.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Okay so I've gone to bat for this game relentlessly but I just beat it now and that ending... holy fuck. Has to be one of the worst endings in video games, no hyperbole. Right up there with Dark Matter except the characters hastily explain what happened instead of a simple block of text. Hardly makes it any better though.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Do not go in expecting Doom quality, it's just not there. Rage 2 does a decent job of mimicking Doom but it never reaches the same highs.

If the shooting is DOOM quality (or close) I'm happy. I'm not expecting DOOM quality level design since I expect the open world hurts that quite a bit.

Okay so I've gone to bat for this game relentlessly but I just beat it now and that ending... holy fuck. Has to be one of the worst endings in video games, no hyperbole. Right up there with Dark Matter.

Not the first time I heard this and what's funny about that is the marketing leading up to this by Bethesda actually makes fun of the Rage 1 ending. You would think that's one of the things they would try to nail that Rage 1 did so poorly.

pj-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first half hour is insanely bad. The constant interruptions in the first couple hours are so annoying. There's too much happening in the menus and not enough happening in the world. The game looks simultaneously soft and jaggy with maxed settings at 1440p.

I'll probably get bored before finishing it but it's fun enough to keep playing for now

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
It's close, but it's a bit more slow.

That depends entirely on how you go about things.

If you want DOOM complexity and fun in the fights, go for all the Arks FIRST. Focus and look around different areas for pillars of colored light - those are the Arks.

After finishing the game and getting every Ark, I would say getting the Arks first is recommended.

AcidCat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bellingham WA
First impressions on ps4pro, combat definitely shows promise and playing on Hard seems the sweet spot so far, theres a solid motivation to progress and get new guns, powers and upgrades for both.

On the other hand, overall IQ is simply bad, this is something I would expect out of a first gen ps4 game. I know a lot of folks disagree but 60fps is not nearly as important to me as res, texture quality and overall iq. So, not happy with this aspect, but the game definitely has that fun factor that makes me eager to play more.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That depends entirely on how you go about things.

If you want DOOM complexity and fun in the fights, go for all the Arks FIRST. Focus and look around different areas for pillars of colored light - those are the Arks.

After finishing the game and getting every Ark, I would say getting the Arks first is recommended.
I'll echo this - as soon as I unlocked the flying vehicle, I darted around the map to collect all of the weapons and Nanotrite abilities and then I finished up the three remaining main missions and did three or so side missions/enemy outposts in between each of them and the combat is insanely deep once all of the weapons and abilities are acquired.

Arks first, everything else afterwards.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
I'll echo this - as soon as I unlocked the flying vehicle, I darted around the map to collect all of the weapons and Nanotrite abilities and then I finished up the three remaining main missions and did three or so side missions/enemy outposts in between each of them and the combat is insanely deep once all of the weapons and abilities are acquired.

Arks first, everything else afterwards.

The more abilities and weapons you have, the better the game is.

ALSO DO NOT MISS THAT YOU CAN PICK PERKS FOR EVERY NANOTRITE SKILL YOU HAVE.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
Have to totally agree with a lot of the sentiment here, I wish this game wasn't open world. When in a mission or going through a big fight I am enjoying myself. Then the driving is the worst and the entire open world only brings this game down. If it was a linear level based game I think it would be wayyyyy better.

Norwegian_Imposter

Circumventing a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've just got past the tutorial. What do you recommend I do? I see the 3 blue story missions. Do those first then do the side stuff?

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Is it true that the main story is very short? Should I stop doing main missions altogether after a certain point?

It's a shame cause I really love those 50 hours long games, it really adds a lot to the world you are playing in.

I know a lot of people prefer shorter gamrs but honestly I think anything less than 15hr in an open world game is too short.

Last edited:

Deleted member 11832

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Game is goddamn amazing.

I had friends asking about the combat, so I recorded a short bit of gameplay that might help clarify how fucking good it is. I might as well share it to some of you guys too:

Last edited:

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hooooooooooooooo boy the menu design is not good but this game is still fun as fuck to play. Although, the open world design definitely has its flaws. It feels sloppy. But the combat? Yeeeee.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I've put in 12 hours already. I did the first round of story missions to unlock the 4 projects, but mostly I've been looking for upgrades.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What happens after 4 hours of using the progress booster cheat? I don't want to waste it early if it goes away, but if I can turn it back on later I will.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
A bit dissapointed with the visuals and presentation (PS4 pro) but holy fucking shit is this game FUN.

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK
Is it true that the main story is very short? Should I stop doing main missions altogether after a certain point?

It's a shame cause I really love those 50 hours long games, it really adds a lot to the world you are playing in.

I know a lot of people prefer shorter gamrs but honestly I think anything less than 15hr in an open world game is too short.
Yeah feel the same. Open world should be at least 40 with many things to do. I'm 100 hours into Assassins Creed odessey

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I really feel like being open world hurts this game, it's at its best when you're knee deep in shit and just wasting fools, everything else just feels like a waste of time until you get to fight some more. Driving around in that clunky vehicle is just boring. The linear, scripted sections are by far the best.
Man have we come full circle. I remember when people would've turned up their noses at this sentence.

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
Played around for 2 hours, beginning did not impress me at all. Graphics on PS4 Pro are beyond horrendous, I mean 60FPS is 60FPS, but damn. Gameplay is fun tho, clearing outposts and frantically running and gunning opponents is as fun as in Doom.

Also those menus, the hell is with them? So slow and unresponsive. Not sure if I should wait for future patch or just play further.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know how to upgrade the health syringes you get? I bought a health upgrade component but the option to upgrade is still greyed out on the menu. Am I missing something here?

Mylonite

May 15, 2019
Played around for 2 hours, beginning did not impress me at all. Graphics on PS4 Pro are beyond horrendous, I mean 60FPS is 60FPS, but damn. Gameplay is fun tho, clearing outposts and frantically running and gunning opponents is as fun as in Doom.

Also those menus, the hell is with them? So slow and unresponsive. Not sure if I should wait for future patch or just play further.

I had the same general feeling about the first couple hours. That said, it does get quite a bit better once you are given more freedom and unlock some of the cooler abilities.

My biggest issues with the game at the moment are the driving mechanics and uninspired side quests.

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone know how to upgrade the health syringes you get? I bought a health upgrade component but the option to upgrade is still greyed out on the menu. Am I missing something here?
The health infusion?
You don't upgrade it yourself, each tier is unlocked by those upgrades you buy, level 2 enables you to craft them. So I advise get every consumables to level 2 first.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Game isn't stunning looking on PC either.
Blurry, there is still plenty of shimmering, textures aren't great either.
But it runs great, 120 fps, gunplay is great. I have not expected such a smooth and fast experience. Not as fluid as doom, but way more fun than far cry 5/new dawn.

Driving and motorized combat though... Forgettable. Constantly having to search for boxes also interupts the game.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
Focus should really highlight all the pickups as well, it's so tedious clearing out an area and then spending ages looking for all of the storage crates.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Yep the game is a lot of fun and there is a lot to upgrade, from weapon to vehicle to ability etc, very rewarding exploration.
But yeah the graphic is a little shitty even on pc at ultra detail, probably the most soft looking games i played in a while.

Also i have zero problem with the menus...

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I hope this gets patched and improved on PC. Image quality is not good, TAA aliasing is awful and blurry...

What probably won't be patched are the controls. It is a pure console port on that front and little work has been put on making the game feel well with keyboard and mouse. Specially compared to other Beth titles.

Shame, as it's fun so far besides the abismal technical side of things.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
This might be the first game where I actually have to bump up the difficulty. Hard mode feels kind of too easy to me.

problem is, nightmare is the same lol. there is no difference in nightmare and nothing is challenging in this game, it is like a 90s FPS, player is OP and like the Terminator and the enemies are just cannon fodder. they also behave like from the 90s. the player has too much skills, upgrades and raw power. the bigger enemies are also simple and and together with those shooty towers it is really boring to fight them. who thought that fighting static towers is fun? and they copy pasted those towers all over the map...

there is just not enough enemy variety to shake things up the weapons are all shit, just take the assault rifle and the shotgun with an occasional rocket launcher shot here and there, the other weapons are not effective, the balancing is bad.
the assault rifle just melts everything.

also, in general, i expect a drastic shift in the impressions when the "story"(it can´t even be called story, it is like a quest) is over, the ending to this game is jaw droppingly abrupt and bad.

the whole game is like unfinished, you have 2 cities that you never visit during the story, NPCs without context. textures and stuff also look like placeholder in some places.

Man, I want NG+

Great game. Gonna keep playing and max everything out. I love fighting in this game so much.

for what do you want NG+, to do the shitty story again? they could have cut the story and no one would be mad about it, this is just a themepark OW shooter, nothing more.

Last edited:

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The game is really really fun. But who in their right mind thought releasing the game looking as rough as this, with menus as laggy as this is acceptable in 2019?

On Xbox One X - and sorry - this game is headache-inducingly blurry. And I haven't seen anything quite like this. Surely they had to at least give a higher res 30FPS option? Compare this to other open world titles like FC5 or any ACO....its just embarrassing.

I love the gameplay and the artstyle. Its right up my street. But technically this is a mess. And why they thought releasing it in this state was a good idea is beyond me. Give me a 30FPS option at the very least to reduce the blur.

Spence

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I had a hard crash within a couple hours of first launch on Nvidia/Intel. Rebooted and haven't had a crash since.

Happened to me several times, but last night I updated Ryzen Master, Chipset Drivers and my bios and played for about 30 mins without any crashes so hopefully it's fixed. Same thing happened with the release of AssCreed games and BFV, something to do with Ryzen SMT.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
I was loving this game until I got to the part where you have to win a race to continue the story. I'm terrible at driving in games. My first attempt I came in dead last. Now I don't know if I'll be able to get any further in the game.