• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
After playing this for the last three days, I'm at a point where I feel confident in saying that I don't like it.

The core shooting feels serviceable and I've prioritized the arcs above everything to give the combat more flexibility but I still find myself not enjoying it enough to stick with the game. It pales in comparison to the visceral feeling of the Doom reboot and doesn't feel as fun or as flashy as something like Bulletstorm. It also feels incredibly slow. Even after all the mobility upgrades I've unlocked.

The story presentation and the dialog make this a slog to progress through. It's like they want to lean into the wacky and crazy stuff that their marketing campaign was based on but still have this overly serious story with these characters that are either too weird or too serious. They wanted it both ways but it doesn't work.

The driving is unfit too. I've had so many awful physics mishaps that send my car off the track in races or flying into the air out in the open world. Not only that, the car that I put all my points into is beyond obnoxious with the constant chatter from it's A.I.

The only part of driving I've enjoyed was the first two times I attacked a convoy. That was fun when it worked well.

Also, wtf is up with the menus? They're so delayed switching from tab to tab. Honestly surprised that this passed QC. Sometimes it'll just hang for a minute and I can't get out of it.

I'd be willing to check back in with it after patches and DLC releases but for now, this is going back to RedBox and I'm going finally finish Mad Max and do another playthrough of the first Rage. Both of which appeal to me much more than this does. Very disappointed.
This game should have went Borderlands with their story. The serious plot just doesn't hold my interest.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No, that's a misconception. The game director of RAGE 2 actually came out and said that most of the development was handled by Avalanche including the combat. id only provided oversight and consulting on how to achieve that 'id style of combat' which Avalanche took and made their own, tbh. Absolutely puts DOOM (2016) to shame and I'm super curious if DOOM Eternal is going to top it.
Then they deserve huge props because this is, imo, better than the best ID combat (and the best ID combat is great).

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Then they deserve huge props because this is, imo, better than the best ID combat (and the best ID combat is great).
i mean, avalanche are usually great with combat.

car combat was a delight in mad max, and the free flow melee combat is one of the best in the market, heavy, violent and without bullshit teleport, positioning is really important in that game if you wanna do combo. (the only problem was a lack of more various animation and finishers)

and now rage 2.

they need some devs for more interesting open world mechanics and someone for story and chara (although chumbucket was one of the highlight of mad max)

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Yeah but you need to give credit to ID for opening the door to this style of play and Avalanche for creating a natural evolution of it, they did a bang up job. Before Doom, I never played a FPS that felt as 'punchy' as it did, I'm sooooo looking forward to see how ID evolves on what Avalanche created. I do think they took some inspiration, as it looks like Doom Eternal is substantially upgraded in the 'perks, abilities and items' department, going on what the trailer presented.

I must of played through Doom 2016 6 or 7 times because of the gameplay being so addicting, I'm excited to see what's next!

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
A little bit OT but man Mad Max still looks great on PS4. The dust kicking up, the roads, the cars, the fire effects. I really wish Avalanche released a 4k patch for it.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
After 20 hours, I'm pretty much running out of icons left to clear. Just stuff I'm not interested in left at this point, like Convoys and Meteors. Once you're all upgraded, there's nothing else like this game. It feels amazing and every fight just turns into maximum visual chaos in a way I really appreciate. I still want more.

I guess now is when I start looking forward to DOOM Eternal for real.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
This game should have went Borderlands with their story. The serious plot just doesn't hold my interest.

Agree so much. Like the Suicide Squad movie, this is another case where the marketing team had a better idea about what the movie game should have been, and marketed that version.

Rage getting a sequel is inherently ridiculous. They should have played that up more in the game itself.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018
No, that's a misconception. The game director of RAGE 2 actually came out and said that most of the development was handled by Avalanche including the combat.

id only provided oversight and consulting on how to achieve that 'id style of combat' which Avalanche took and made their own, tbh. Absolutely puts DOOM (2016) to shame and I'm super curious if DOOM Eternal is going to top it. FWIW, I love the DOOM games but RAGE 2 really surprised me here.

Ah ok, good to know!

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
How on earth did they make the driving feel so awful? Why do you slown down massively when turning? Mad Max was great, they just had to transplant what worked in that. Baffling. Utterly baffling.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
How on earth did they make the driving feel so awful? Why do you slown down massively when turning? Mad Max was great, they just had to transplant what worked in that. Baffling. Utterly baffling.
I remember Mad Max having more open stretches of flatter desert that you could keep speed up on, but RAGE 2 feels like it's a lot of tight, winding roads that you constantly have to hand-brake and boost to get around. And you always have to stay on the road, because so much of the map is bottomless pits or just shit you can't drive through in general.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
No, that's a misconception. The game director of RAGE 2 actually came out and said that most of the development was handled by Avalanche including the combat.

id only provided oversight and consulting on how to achieve that 'id style of combat' which Avalanche took and made their own, tbh. Absolutely puts DOOM (2016) to shame and I'm super curious if DOOM Eternal is going to top it. FWIW, I love the DOOM games but RAGE 2 really surprised me here.
Yea,I can't help thinking I'm gonna miss the powers a lot in Doom Eternal.The gunplay will be great I'm sure but it's gonna need a bit of something extra to elevate it to Rage 2 levels of fun.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but you need to give credit to ID for opening the door to this style of play and Avalanche for creating a natural evolution of it, they did a bang up job. Before Doom, I never played a FPS that felt as 'punchy' as it did, I'm sooooo looking forward to see how ID evolves on what Avalanche created. I do think they took some inspiration, as it looks like Doom Eternal is substantially upgraded in the 'perks, abilities and items' department, going on what the trailer presented.

I must of played through Doom 2016 6 or 7 times because of the gameplay being so addicting, I'm excited to see what's next!
ID combat is very good... but Bungie are above them imo. Preference, of course, but Bungie's feedback and general gunplay is on another level to most shooter devs for me.

But yes, combat like this is amazing, especially when it's 60fps. And Doom Eternal is going to be incredible, we all know it!

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Bungie are above them imo. Preference, of course, but Bungie's feedback and general gunplay is on another level to most shooter devs for me.
Agreed. I think Destiny 2 is the best shooter this gen from a gameplay perspective and Bungie have always been great, but RAGE 2 is up there for sure.

I just love how smooth and responsive Bungie games feel, even on console.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018

have you ever played fear? i think that game is at least on the same level of punchyness if not even more compared to doom.
and the first rage was very good too in the gunplay departement.
onestly a lot of fps have punchy gunplay on the level of doom today.
A little bit OT but man Mad Max still looks great on PS4. The dust kicking up, the roads, the cars, the fire effects. I really wish Avalanche released a 4k patch for it.
and he has the best thunder-sandstorm ever created in a videogame.
on pc is a delight even today.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
just grabbed a motorcycle

jesus christ, ugh

edit: ok jesus the controls with the bike are HORRENDOUS, especially compared to contemporaries like Days Gone, this is inexcusable, laughable, and to use one of Era's favorite words, DISGUSTING.

Everyone starting off on the bike

BVb4lE.gif

It's probably the worst controlling vehicle I've ever had to use lol

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
have you ever played fear? i think that game is at least on the same level of punchyness if not even more compared to doom.
and the first rage was very good too in the gunplay departement.
onestly a lot of fps have punchy gunplay on the level of doom today.
and he has the best thunder-sandstorm ever created in a videogame.
on pc is a delight even today.

Yup, played Fear waaaay back in the day. I liked it, but I think Doom is on another level, there's something just so visceral about the movement and shooting that hits all the right notes for me. A little unfair, comparing Doom to a game that's 10+ years old, but I'm just happy they keep getting better and better.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Enjoying the game a lot but have just discovered that after the initial mission for each of your major npc's they only give you one more each,then it's the end game..........that's really not much of a main campaign.......it's good that running around the map clearing all the markers is so much fun because I'm going to have to do that between each main mission just to stretch it out.

I figured this would be the case when people started talking about the campaign being short. After unlocking each of the three main factions, I stopped playing the critical path, and just started wandering around unlocking stuff and completing whatever points of interest I felt like. Taking my time so don't get burnt out.

Mad Max absolutely deserves a 2nd chance with upgrade patches for both enhances consoles.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
After getting to play a bit, this game just makes me sad.

It could have been a sufficient but forgettable shooter. A not-bad-but-nothing-special Doom 2016 knock off. The kind of nice, light, snacky affair you play over a week or two, maybe finish, then never remember until someone brings it up a couple of years later and you think, "Oh hey, yeah, that game was alright."

There's a decent bit of core shooter gameplay in there. Somewhere. I think. Maybe. Just having trouble finding it under the heaving layers of extraneous Ubisoft-brand fat that someone, somewhere, decided needed to be included.

The game gives me a few minutes of mindless shooty fun at semi-regular intervals. Then in between those all too rare intervals it brings proceedings to a screeching halt so I can run around ticking off a collectible checklist or going on a commute. 2/6 Supply boxes, 0/1 Nanite crates etc. Fun fun fun!

And even if I chose to ignore that shit, the game still displays a distressing penchant for locking me in a room with a boring NPC yapping boring dialogue. I dread finding powerups because each one comes with an incredibly slow tutorial in which a voiceover describes what to do, then the game pauses to show me a text box telling me the exact same damn thing the voiceover just said. Then it won't let me out until I've demonstrated that I can use a fucking dodge button or an alternate fire mode.

What's especially bizarre to me is that this is made by the same studio that did that forgettable Mad Max game a few years back. A game with actually fun vehicle combat that was constantly obstructed by an Ubisoft-brand open world full of collectible checklists. So apparently they looked at that and said, "Okay, for our next derivative open-desert game, we need to make the vehicle stuff worse in every way, but definitely keep the collectible checklists as is, everyone loves those! 5/8 supply boxes for life, baby!"

It's like eating a sandwich made with one jar of jam and three tons of bread.

But hey. at least it stays faithful to the legacy of the original Rage by spreading the good bits so painfully thin and interspersing it with rubbish.

This feels like the defining Rage 2 take. I would love a press sneak look at the making of the game to understand exactly how any of these things happened.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Far Cry 5 I felt was a disappointment personally. The characters are underdeveloped and mostly inconsequential but the garbage story acts like you should care about them even though they spent more time giving the characters backstories and motivations in the trailers for the game than in the game itself. Combat has more options on how to approach it, such as doing stealth or full on guns blazing, but the enemy AI feels dumber than past FC games and the guns feel off. Oddly the game also (maybe this has been patched) feels like it's worried about you getting bored if you don't run into anything every 3 minutes and spawns either an angry animal or enemies in your area. The locations in the world usually involve light traversal puzzles that are interesting, plus there's hunting and fishing and some variation on activities that are fun to do. The game features a silent protagonist which felt weird for Far Cry, though man I would rather the protagonist in Rage 2 be silent. The plot is pants on head dumb, and once you reach a level in different zones you get kidnapped because even though you're murdering hundreds of cultists who spend all their time trying to kill you, they for some reason are able to kidnap you multiple times instead of outright murdering you, because that was the best they could think of to fit in plot segments that suck anyway.

But you also can roll out with Cheeseburger the bear and a cougar as your allies like a goddamn beastmaster.

New Dawn might be better.
Honestly, I wouldn't even consider them to be in the same league. FC5 is just a better game. The only thing I like better in Rage 2 is the gunplay. It's not like FC5 has bad gunplay - in fact, it's very good - but Rage is just better.

In every other aspect? World, exploration, progression, side content, graphics, music, story..... yeah, FC5 it is.

I've never really played a FC game before but I am digging R2 so far and might give it a shot. Bummer about the disappointing story though.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Played the mission that introduces the shotgun (was exploring icons on the way to the first mission after the intro), and now the game has its hooks in me. That shotgun is GOOD.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Played the mission that introduces the shotgun (was exploring icons on the way to the first mission after the intro), and now the game has its hooks in me. That shotgun is GOOD.
Honestly,every new gun has given me a great buzz so far,pulse cannon was particularly great....I ran to the nearest outpost and shredded everyone in it.....amazing fun,lol.

KaiLeng

Sep 8, 2018
Gunplay is great, not as fluid as say Destiny 2, but still great. But all the other shit - like driving, collecting those pink crates, trying to smash smaller crates, bland open world design - it all drags the game down significantly.

Also Rage 2 is the only game I've ever skipped cutscenes when playing for the first time. The writing and characters are just so, well not precisely bad, but mixedly bland, like they are trying to play a high school drama with quips or something. I don't know how to describe it. It's just... making me want not to listen to anything the characters say.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Gunplay is great, not as fluid as say Destiny 2, but still great. But all the other shit - like driving, collecting those pink crates, trying to smash smaller crates, bland open world design - it all drags the game down significantly.

Also Rage 2 is the only game I've ever skipped cutscenes when playing for the first time. The writing and characters are just so, well not precisely bad, but mixedly bland, like they are trying to play a high school drama with quips or something. I don't know how to describe it. It's just... making me want not to listen to anything the characters say.
I'm loving the game but yes, I skip all the side content dialogue. I walk up and start mashing square.

Porcupine

Oct 27, 2017

I totally agree, I NEVER skip cutscenes on my first playthrough, even in very mediocre games. This is the first one I can remember where I'm skipping absolutely everything. It's just not worth it.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017

wow same here. The story and dialogue is insufferably boring.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
No.......I think that's one of the reasons I'm enjoying it so much.In Far Cry I always feel compelled to take down each outpost with stealth....in this you kick down the front door and go wild with your guns and powers.....it never gets old.

Yeah, I like the Far Cry series, but it really prioritizes stealth. With Far Cry I always found myself wanting the combat to be over, so reinforcements were more of a pain in the ass.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
Just started playing...what even is this game going for? I genuinely can't tell if the story is supposed to serious or Poe's Law is in effect. I really like the gameplay, but all the wacky stuff from the marketing and the way it handles the story and tone is really throwing me off.

Oct 25, 2017
The game is super fast when you unlock upgrades.. have you checked all the project stuff like faster sprint, fast move on ADS crouch, higher/further double jump etc...? movement is so much better than DOOM imo, but you do need to upgrade stuff to get there.

I still don't feel the game is as fast as I want it to be after unlocking the mobility upgrades; All of those were unlocked as soon as I had the points to do so. It's got faster than it was, sure, but still not where I wanted it.

The game just doesn't feel great to me. It's entirely fine but I feel there are other first person shooters the feel better. I wish I was able to feel that it's better than DOOM as some of you feel. It just doesn't feel that way to me at all.

The game isn't terrible, just disappointing to me. I was super excited to play this as I really liked Rage even if the ending was absolutely awful.

I pre-ordered it last August but canceled because I was in the hospital for a week and needed the cash because I missed work.

I hope the patches and DLC make the game worth revisiting.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
Just started playing...what even is this game going for? I genuinely can't tell if the story is supposed to serious or Poe's Law is in effect. I really like the gameplay, but all the wacky stuff from the marketing and the way it handles the story and tone is really throwing me off.

The marketing makes it seem like it was supposed to be wacky but the game presents everything without any self awareness about how stupid the plot is.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
This game's writer desperately needed an editor to take a look... I've never heard so many NPCs use so many words to convey basic things, or just ramble on for what feels like forever. Almost every single exchange of dialogue feels overlong, like they're using twice the time to say what they need to.

These moments and the pop up pause screens when you complete a thing bring the game's momentum skidding to a halt.

I'd imagine both could be patched out too... the HUD could be updated to contain the completion updates is probably fairly standard design (that stuff is already in the UI), and maybe the NPCs audio could switch to raido when you walk far enough away so you could make some progress toward your destination while they chatter.

Right now being locked in a room while they take forever to get to the point is not much fun.

I still don't feel the game is as fast as I want it to be after unlocking the mobility upgrades; All of those were unlocked as soon as I had the points to do so. It's got faster than it was, sure, but still not where I wanted it.

The game just doesn't feel great to me. It's entirely fine but I feel there are other first person shooters the feel better. I wish I was able to feel that it's better than DOOM as some of you feel. It just doesn't feel that way to me at all.

The game isn't terrible, just disappointing to me. I was super excited to play this as I really liked Rage even if the ending was absolutely awful.

I pre-ordered it last August but canceled because I was in the hospital for a week and needed the cash because I missed work.

I hope the patches and DLC make the game worth revisiting.
Fair enough, this feels better than Doom to me overall. The abilities, upgrades, and weapon variety is a little more interesting.

Doom is still top tier though, no doubt.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game's writer desperately needed an editor to take a look... I've never heard so many NPCs use so many words to convey basic things, or just ramble on for what feels like forever. Almost every single exchange of dialogue feels overlong, like they're using twice the time to say what they need to.

These moments and the pop up pause screens when you complete a thing bring the game's momentum skidding to a halt.

I'd imagine both could be patched out too... the HUD could be updated to contain the completion updates is probably fairly standard design (that stuff is already in the UI), and maybe the NPCs audio could switch to raido when you walk far enough away so you could make some progress toward your destination while they chatter.

Right now being locked in a room while they take forever to get to the point is not much fun.

Fair enough, this feels better than Doom to me overall. The abilities, upgrades, and weapon variety is a little more interesting.

Doom is still top tier though, no doubt.
Just skip all the dialogue, it's not worth it.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Dont know what's up in the other thread, but I came in here to say this game is fantastic. I like the open world. I like the powers. I like the driving. The 60fps helps a lot too. It's so much to do and upgrade.. .its just fun. So far I can give it an 8.5

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
I'm 15 hours in and bored out of my mind.

I've finished the campaign, I'm missing 3 weapons that are presumably in Arks somewhere.

It's uber repetitive. The combat is fun but so far the shotgun and the rocket launcher are the only guns worth using. The combat feels like a clunkier Halo 5, it doesn't really flow together in the way you'd expect.

Going around the open world is torturous, there's just nothing to it, just constant killing at one of three location types it feels like and then looking for chests.

You don't get enough feedback from the NPCs to make it feel like what you're doing is worthwhile.

It seems like to have the most fun, you have to pursue upgrades, but I'm spending all my stuff and not getting much back.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Minor complaint, the focus seeing shit effect should be a a bit better. Maybe have it go all the way black and white then the items of interest be purple

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 15 hours in and bored out of my mind.

I've finished the campaign, I'm missing 3 weapons that are presumably in Arks somewhere.

It's uber repetitive. The combat is fun but so far the shotgun and the rocket launcher are the only guns worth using. The combat feels like a clunkier Halo 5, it doesn't really flow together in the way you'd expect.

Going around the open world is torturous, there's just nothing to it, just constant killing at one of three location types it feels like and then looking for chests.

You don't get enough feedback from the NPCs to make it feel like what you're doing is worthwhile.

It seems like to have the most fun, you have to pursue upgrades, but I'm spending all my stuff and not getting much back.
The hunt for mats to upgrade is the core of the game for me. I'm only 40% through the main quest, I'm like 8/7/5 on reputation for the 3 NPCs because I've been doing almost nothing but hunting for materials to upgrade everything.

Getting the Gyrocopter really helped, but so does unlocking longer double jump, extra dashes, less fall dmg, etc...

There's tonnes to upgrade, too: Inventory items, Abilities + their perks, Weapons, and projects (and your main vehicle, but I pretty much ignored that when I unlocked the copter). If the loop of explore -> kill/loot -> upgrade doesn't hook you, though, there's pretty much nothing else here.

I think that loop is great, though, and it's made this game one of my favourite shooters of the gen.

Johnson

Jan 8, 2018
Ok I have only just realised Arks show up on the map when you use Focus... did they tell you that at the start????

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike everything about the game but the Gameplay god damn is it fun as hell, only unlocked the Shotgun so far but nothing is more satisfying then Over driving and Slamming into enemies going wild.

Cheesy

Oct 30, 2017
I dislike everything about the game but the Gameplay god damn is it fun as hell, only unlocked the Shotgun so far but nothing is more satisfying then Over driving and Slamming into enemies going wild.
I'm absolutely loving the gunplay and various abilities, the magnetic dart gun thing is a lot of fun to use, but I'm really starting to see where the criticisms regarding the open world are coming from now, a lot of the game feels like boringly driving from one point to another, and locations you can fast travel to and from are sparse, the lack of actual exploration is kind of a letdown too, I unlocked that flying vehicle and was surprised to see you could fly up the mountains and desert plateaus... but there's nothing on them.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm absolutely loving the gunplay and various abilities, the magnetic dart gun thing is a lot of fun to use, but I'm really starting to see where the criticisms regarding the open world are coming from now, a lot of the game feels like boringly driving from one point to another, and locations you can fast travel to and from are sparse, the lack of actual exploration is kind of a letdown too, I unlocked that flying vehicle and was surprised to see you could fly up the mountains and desert plateaus... but there's nothing on them.
There's a lot of empty space on the map, so you really need to check for ?s. Once discovered, it will usually place more ?s nearby. Then chain everything close.

I hate checking off ?s usually, but because of the masses of empty space it's the only real way to ensure you always find something to do.