• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Dope OT man! Super curious about how this game does.
vestan always delivering 10/10 threads, OT looks incredible

That is an amazing OT! Great work vestan !

Really hoping this is amazing, want to see a lot of PS4 impressions though I may just bite the bullet and grab it on PC as a b-day gift for myself lol. Doom 2016 released a day before my birthday in 2016 and that ended up being fucking amazing so I'm hoping that's the case here. It'd be real fuckin' awesome.
thanks my dudes

How different will this be from the original Rage?
Some characters do appear and the plot does take place after the first's ending, but the tone is a lot wackier instead of the gritty thing they were going for with the first game. Also the gameplay looks greatly expanded from the first.

Early Impressions from Dphex (PS4 Pro)

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
played for 2 hours on PS4Pro, gotta say i am deflated...

-graphics are not good, very blurry, pop ins when driving around, not vibrant at all, has a vaseline smear look
-texture work is plain bad for a game late in the console generation
-presentation really dry with plain textboxes for logs you find and static menus
-gameplayloop is essentially Far Cry...outposts, bounty targets and so on...yawn
-there are cities where you can buy resources and get "quests"
-tone of the game is relatively stupid and uninteresting
-driving around on a mostly empty map with 5-10 enemies here and there and other cars which you can race against..how exciting -.-
-NPC speak slooooooowly, super annoying
-copy paste with "arks" which are like droppods where you get upgrades
-forced tutorials for things like doublejump and shooting a shotgun...
-german voice for the female character is awful
-nights are bright as days

the most positive thing:
the core element-the shooting and the movement- is really good but the overall game is not really good so far, been here done that gameplay and for me the whole thing doesn´t really come together
performance good but it is a tradeoff for blurry textures and extreme pop ins. things like rocks and buildings are also very blocky...
would rather like this game with HDR in 4K and 30fps, it has a really cheap look

very easy game so far, even on hard, enemies seem stupid and you can revive yourself with a quicktime event....

that´s it for now, keep in mind i am harsh with games these days, so if someone wants a little pew pew and likes the Far Cry formula and Mad Max, might be a good game for those people but i don´t know if it is worth full price.

gonna play further to see if it gets better, first impression could have been better

Last edited:

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

-graphics are not good, very blurry, pop ins when driving around, not vibrant at all, has a vaseline smear look
-presentation really dry with plain textboxes for logs you find and static menus
-gameplayloop is essentially Far Cry...outposts, bounty targets and so on...yawn
-driving around on a mostly empty map with 5-10 enemies here and there and other cars which you can race against..how exciting -.-

the most positive thing:
the core element-the shooting and the movement- is really good but the overall game is not really good so far, been here done that gameplay and for me the whole.
performance good but it is a tradeoff for blurry textures and extreme pop ins. things like rocks and buildings are also very blocky...
would rather like this game with HDR in 4K and 30fps, it has a really cheap look

very easy game so far, even on hard, enemies seem stupid and you can revive yourself with a quicktime event....

that´s it for now, keep in mind i am harsh with games these days, so if someone wants a little pew pew and likes the Far Cry formula and Mad Max, might be a good game for those people but i don´t know if it is worth full price.

gonna play further to see if it gets better, first impression could have been better

Thanks for the impressions!

Sounds like Rage alright. Is the story, hm, there, at least? More in your face? The first Rage had the Borderlands 1 issue where the world was interesting, but the story was mostly through npc dialogue and quest screens.

Nov 30, 2018
The pre-release videos and trailers will always show the best version, PC or PS4 PRO/One X if there's a marketing deal in place

Right but even on PC Just Cause 4 is garbage and nothing like the pre release footage.

Same issues as consoles.

the most positive thing:
the core element-the shooting and the movement- is really good but the overall game is not really good so far, been here done that gameplay and for me the whole.

Again, these are JC4 issues as well.

Not looking good.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Ok, so i've played around for a bit and can say for me personally that i like it so far.

I'm playing on a PS4 Pro with a SSD.

Very doom 2016ish. You can tell pretty quickly that id had something to do with this game.

- feels like doom 2016 (not perfect but youcan feel the id touch in there)
- shooting feels satifying (heads pop in a nice way)
- early enemies feel like out of quake (design wise)
- story is b-movie city so far and doesn't know if it wants to be serious or crazy (we've all seen this move before), but i'm thankful it's there
- you can choose between male or female MC
- MC talks and quibs

- Music is awesome so far, could be straight out of doom 2016 sometimes
- sound-effect are good too
- weapons so far sound punchy
- voice-acting is decent, nothing to complain

- 60fps feel awesome (playing on PS4 Pro) but aren't locked
- especially when you arrive in a new locale you feel/see the fps drop hard (but i think this is a loading problem, as the fps will go up to "smooth" shortly after
- loading times after death are not instant but on the quicker side
- bad pop-in
- low-res
- hard level of detail (LOD) system,
- you can feel the game isn't made for 60fps on this old hardware (PC should be glorious)
- aliasing is visible but not that bad after all (i'm playing on a 55* 4K screen)
- motion blur and chromatic aberration can be tunred off
- field of view slider is in (awesome)
- hud can be turned off

Don't expect a clean image quaility. The 60fps needed a big sacrifice. It's absolutely fine and plays awesome so far but don't hope for graphics out of a 400$ console a high end pc couldn't handle easily.

rage2_20190511140202s1kj5.png

rage2_201905111408092xj0w.png

rage2_2019051114303637jbq.png
i would say for 60fps, this doesn't look bad at all

astro

Oct 25, 2017

the most positive thing:

I read your TD2 critiques and found them to be completely misaligned with my own opinions, so I hope that's what's happening here too. I had no hype for this game at all, then all the good pre-release footage grabbed me...

A lot of the stuff you wrote sounds like nit-picks, but some of it sounds deflating for sure.

But then...

Ok, so i've played around for a bit and can say for me personally that i like it so far.

Very doom 2016ish. You can tell pretty quickly that id had something to do with this game.

- story is b-movie city so far and doesn't know if it wants to be serious or crazy (we've all seen this move before), but i'm thankful it's there
- MC talks and quibs

- especially when you arrive in a new locale you feel/see the fps drop hard (but i think this is a loading problem, as the fps will go up to "smooth" shortly after
- bad pop-in
- low-res
- you can feel the game isn't made for 60fps on this old hardware (PC should be glorious)
- aliasing is visible but not that bad after all (i'm playing on a 55* 4K screen)
- hud can be turned off

Don't expect a clean image quaility. The 60fps needed a big sacrifice. It's absolutely fine and plays awesome so far but don't hope for graphics out of a 400$ console a high end pc couldn't handle easily.

This sounds much better...

Still excited...

Dec 3, 2018
I don't usually look at OT's, but glad I did with this one. It actually has me tempted to buy the game, it wasn't even on my radar before.

M. Wallace

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest

the most positive thing:
the core element-the shooting and the movement- is really good but the overall game is not really good so far, been here done that gameplay and for me the whole thing doesn´t really come together

You hate everything though, these impressions should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely curious to see how it runs on the base PS4 after these recent impression as that was my original platform of choice.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I hope we can turn off specific HUD elements, I don't want those hitmarkers getting in the way of my sweet, sweet gibs.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017

- MC talks and quibs

- bad pop-in
- low-res
- hud can be turned off

And this is why they should've given us a 4K/30 option.

Anyways OP is amazing! Still very much hyped.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
These are the video settings on consoles, not showing HUD stuff as that's probably under game settings or something.

fc20mtkjolx21.jpg

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018

the most positive thing:

Why is this post thread marked?

PerfectFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna have to think long and hard about keeping my pre-order. I was hoping for more story and less open world checklist. My wife plays the shit out of these type of games, but R2 hasn't even been on her radar.

I dropped Just Cause 4 and AC:O after my first session and hate GTA. I think I'm probably going to pass, which is a shame because the cheats sound amazing. 😕😕😕

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, what a fucking OT. Looks amazing! Beautiful job, man!

I'm downloading the 13.61 gig update right now on X1X.

I did play a little offline last night but not enough to really judge or give opinions but I will say the shooting feels great.

Also, haven't seen it mentioned (or maybe I missed it) but there's a Photo Mode. Doesn't seem TOO deep but one thing I like is being able to change the time of day. I'll see if I can take some shots after the update is done.

I was never really hyped for this game but from the little footage I've seen, I've always wanted to play it.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017

the most positive thing:

That's a shame. Avalanche's open world design seems really poor nowadays.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017

the most positive thing:

Thank you for these impressions, much appreciated. Yep, looks like this one is a rental.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Pre ordered the PC version! Just a heads up it's less than $40/50% off on CDkeys right now for US. Been looking for a good shooter since we haven't had one in a while.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
We won't get any PC impressions until the 13th at least, but Just Cause 4 was / is fucked up on PC as well, right?

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda bummed to read Dphex 's impressions but I still have faith. The Far Cry gameplay doesn't annoy me at all if the environment is interesting. I might be more annoyed by the tone of the game not feeling like the one from the communication so far.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
That's a shame. Avalanche's open world design seems really poor nowadays.
Thank you for these impressions, much appreciated. Yep, looks like this one is a rental.
Kinda bummed to read Dphex 's impressions but I still have faith. The Far Cry gameplay doesn't annoy me at all if the environment is interesting. I might be more annoyed by the tone of the game not feeling like the one from the communication so far.
Dephex has a history of nit-picking and going all in on small issues, just ask TD2 community.

Not saying their impressions should be outright ignored, but don't put all your stock into just them.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Game sounds exactly what I expected - a somewhat bog standard open-world experience but with DOOM gunplay, or at least something close to it.

Great. It's honestly exactly what I want right now - no story, no fluff, just give me simple tasks and a whole lot of enemies to destroy and I'll be happy with the game. Unless it gets absolutely destroyed on Monday, I'll likely get this day one.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
So the game's map leaked a while back, it honestly seems pretty small. Probably ranks as one of the smallest of this gen as far as open world games go but I don't mind. The fact that each biome seems radically different from the other should keep things fresh, just like Just Cause 2.
For me this is a good thing. I often get bored to traverse too many distance in Just Cause 4.... Maybe a more concise map would ideal.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Any word on length?
Also this isn't one of those open world games where you are forced into doing the side missions like AC Origins or DA:I is it, by level gating or similar?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
played a little further

yeah, indoor stuff feels better than the open world outposts, the gunplay is really nice. there is some kind of arena with different levels and difficulties that is really funny, when you have a small room with hazards and many enemies, it gets frantic and it feels great
unfortunately this won´t really happen in the open world, the outposts so far were just shooting galleries with the occasional explosive barrel here and there and you just mow through them with the overdrive (sort of a state where you deal more damage)

as i said, if someone likes the Far Cry formula including stuff like "do x things for y to progress", you will feel right at home in this game. basically there are 3 contacts on the map and you have to do stuff for them to progress the individual storylines(clear outposts, do a bounty, basic stuff). also Rage 1 fans should be pleased, it is like an 80´s dumb action movie version of Rage, if this makes sense.

performance is ok but when there is really frantic action going on it isn´t 60fps anymore.

map looks small but the distances are massive, this is a bigger game than expected.

controls also feel tight. so far this is a strange game, i think this would be awesome with 4-6 players on the map which could meet up to do stuff together, it feels like there is everything set up for a great co op game...

mogwai00

Mar 24, 2018

the most positive thing:

Thanks for the impressions.
I'm more incline to like this kind of thoughts than the enthusiasm inflated by the novelty.

Looks like a direct sequel of RAGE, indeed.
Was hoping for a more interesting shake of the formula.

Still waiting Steam to unlock my copy.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
played a little further

yeah, indoor stuff feels better than the open world outposts, the gunplay is really nice. there is some kind of arena with different levels and difficulties that is really funny, when you have a small room with hazards and many enemies, it gets frantic and it feels great
unfortunately this won´t really happen in the open world, the outposts so far were just shooting galleries with the occasional explosive barrel here and there and you just mow through them with the overdrive (sort of a state where you deal more damage)

as i said, if someone likes the Far Cry formula including stuff like "do x things for y to progress", you will feel right at home in this game. basically there are 3 contacts on the map and you have to do stuff for them to progress the individual storylines(clear outposts, do a bounty, basic stuff). also Rage 1 fans should be pleased, it is like an 80´s dumb action movie version of Rage, if this makes sense.

performance is ok but when there is really frantic action going on it isn´t 60fps anymore.

map looks small but the distances are massive, this is a bigger game than expected.

controls also feel tight. so far this is a strange game, i think this would be awesome with 4-6 players on the map which could meet up to do stuff together, it feels like there is everything set up for a great co op game...
Don't tell me it's like FC5 where you have to increase a reputation meter in order to progress the story. That shit was annoying.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
vestan

You can adjust the field of view? Nice. Also being able to turn off motion blur and CA. Simple options but I'll take it.

11 hours is short for an open world game, but it's nice not having a 50 hour slog for once.