• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Enemies float longer, you can do more cool shit to them. Prime them with the revolver in mid air, head shot them with a wingstick, set them on fire, and then blow them out of the sky with the shotgun.

The incremental upgrades allow for more and more chaining of creative kills, but there's no reason to engage with any of it other than for your own amusement. It's as if the combat system was designed around a Bulletstorm style scoring system that got scrapped.

Either you make your own fun or the upgrade progression is kind of pointless. I fall into the first camp, but now that I've got everything unlocked, there are no more enemies left to use it all on.
I think that is a good point, I wonder if the original upgrade system was a system where you got more exp for creative kills. That would explain why picking up glowing shit feels like afterthought

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
It's as if the combat system was designed around a Bulletstorm style scoring system that got scrapped.

That would've been amazing and tied some of this stuff together better. Would make the multiplier make more sense as well. Hard to see that though as 'make your own fun' is pretty much Avalanche's design philosophy, for better and worse.

Katonix

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I just finished the story. well it was bad tbh but the gunplay is so good that I can easily let it go. There are a lot of side quests remain that I want to complete only because of the gunplay.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
So wait, did I really fuck up by doing certain things before visiting the 3 "main characters?"
I did a few Arks and Meteorites before visiting the doctor dude, figured once I did unlock him (just now), I would already have some project points, but I do not have any and have started at 0.
If so Lesson Learned, and I am off to visit the 3rd and final person, but the game should have made it much clearer it was almost mandatory to start the 3 main missions first if I lost out on all of those project points. I did quite a lot of things as well that would have counted towards the other 2 I did not have active.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
So wait, did I really fuck up by doing certain things before visiting the 3 "main characters?"
I did a few Arks and Meteorites before visiting the doctor dude, figured once I did unlock him (just now), I would already have some project points, but I do not have any and have started at 0.
If so Lesson Learned, and I am off to visit the 3rd and final person, but the game should have made it much clearer it was almost mandatory to start the 3 main missions first if I lost out on all of those project points. I did quite a lot of things as well that would have counted towards the other 2 I did not have active.

That can't be....I'll be pissed. I've been exploring a lot along the way.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
That can't be....I'll be pissed. I've been exploring a lot along the way.
I explored a whole, whole lot. I am really hoping it is just a bug or maybe I need to go somewhere that is not clear, but as of now I did just unlock the projects for the Doctor Dude, I am up to Level 4 on his character, and I have zero points to spend on projects. "No Upgrades Available" is what it says.
I just quit for the night as it pissed me off. I am really hoping when I fire the game up tomorrow it is all resolved and/or someone replies and says I need to go somewhere specific.
I just finished the Space something mission if that helps anyone point me in the right direction.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I explored a whole, whole lot. I am really hoping it is just a bug or maybe I need to go somewhere that is not clear, but as of now I did just unlock the projects for the Doctor Dude, I am up to Level 4 on his character, and I have zero points to spend on projects. "No Upgrades Available" is what it says.
I just quit for the night as it pissed me off. I am really hoping when I fire the game up tomorrow it is all resolved and/or someone replies and says I need to go somewhere specific.
I just finished the Space something mission if that helps anyone point me in the right direction.
Worked for me. Sounds like a bug.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area

Ate you just talking about the doctor dude? Were you able to use project points on the other 2 characters? When I first met the doctor dude, his projects weren't immediately unlocked. I had to complete a few missions/objectives and then he pops up on the radio saying he has what he needs or whatever and that now his projects are unlocked. Did you literally just meet him or did you play through some of his missions too?

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Ate you just talking about the doctor dude? Were you able to use project points on the other 2 characters? When I first met the doctor dude, his projects weren't immediately unlocked. I had to complete a few missions/objectives and then he pops up on the radio saying he has what he needs or whatever and that now his projects are unlocked. Did you literally just meet him or did you play through some of his missions too?
I had just completed the Ground Control mission. His first big main mission. But prior to even meeting him I had already done about 4 arks, 3 sentries and 3 meteorites, so I just assumed once I got the projects unlocked for him (which it looks like they are, it is just telling me I have no points to spend) I would already have accrued some points to spend.
What I have not done is any of those things since meeting him, so I am off to an Ark now to do it and see if that helps kick shit in.
I also just tried going back and talking to him which did not help.

And the first character I had no issues with spending points (first 2 technically since the girl in the main base at the beginning also gives you some), and I still have to unlock the last character.

So I will see if going to do one of his projects unlocks some points and hopefully retroactively gives me points for all the other shit I unlocked.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I had just completed the Ground Control mission. His first big main mission. But prior to even meeting him I had already done about 4 arks, 3 sentries and 3 meteorites, so I just assumed once I got the projects unlocked for him (which it looks like they are, it is just telling me I have no points to spend) I would already have accrued some points to spend.
What I have not done is any of those things since meeting him, so I am off to an Ark now to do it and see if that helps kick shit in.
I also just tried going back and talking to him which did not help.

And the first character I had no issues with spending points (first 2 technically since the girl in the main base at the beginning also gives you some), and I still have to unlock the last character.

So I will see if going to do one of his projects unlocks some points and hopefully retroactively gives me points for all the other shit I unlocked.

Okay then that is strange because yeah, I think the ground control mission is where they unlocked for me and it sounds like they did. Last question; since the project points are universal across the 3 characters, do you see points available in the other character's project trees and then when switch to the doctor they're just gone?

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Okay then that is strange because yeah, I think the ground control mission is where they unlocked for me and it sounds like they did. Last question; since the project points are universal across the 3 characters, do you see points available in the other character's project trees and then when switch to the doctor they're just gone?
This. Are you sure you didn't spend the points on another project and haven't checked it after?

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
This. Are you sure you didn't spend the points on another project and haven't checked it after?
Well that answers it all. I had no idea the points were universal since I only had the first person opened. I figured you only got the project points for the types of projects listed under each person. Not sure why they bother telling you what Locations and Activities are specific to each person if the points you earn from them apply to all projects, but I guess there has to be a reason there too.

But that does explain it all. I thought project points were tied to a specific person and not universal.

Thank you very much for clearing this up, but yep, I spent all the ones I had on the first guy since I thought I was only earning them for him. Kind of sucks but at least now I know.

Again thank you!!!

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Well that answers it all. I had no idea the points were universal since I only had the first person opened. I figured you only got the project points for the types of projects listed under each person. Not sure why they bother telling you what Locations and Activities are specific to each person if the points you earn from them apply to all projects, but I guess there has to be a reason there too.

But that does explain it all. I thought project points were tied to a specific person and not universal.

Thank you very much for clearing this up, but yep, I spent all the ones I had on the first guy since I thought I was only earning them for him. Kind of sucks but at least now I know.

Again thank you!!!

Okay that makes sense then. Glad it's all squared away now :-)

For me, it wasn't until 20 hours in when I figured out how to unlock new nanotrite/upgrade tiers. The X/Upgrade prompt was sitting there on the bottom left of the screen the whole time and I never noticed and was googling like crazy trying to figure it out lol.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Okay that makes sense then. Glad it's all squared away now :-)

For me, it wasn't until 20 hours in when I figured out how to unlock new nanotrite/upgrade tiers. The X/Upgrade prompt was sitting there on the bottom left of the screen the whole time and I never noticed and was googling like crazy trying to figure it out lol.
I guess in a way I am fortunate since I wont have this issue since I unlocked every fucking tier for the first guy already. LOL I am almost done with all the projects on that first guy. Luckily he is combat related so it was not a total waste, just damn some of those ones under Nanotrites I was really looking forward to, specifically the ones that help you find storage boxes and data pads.

I will get them though. just will take a bit longer. Luckily I am already fairly badass on the combat thanks to my faux paux here.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
I guess in a way I am fortunate since I wont have this issue since I unlocked every fucking tier for the first guy already. LOL I am almost done with all the projects on that first guy. Luckily he is combat related so it was not a total waste, just damn some of those ones under Nanotrites I was really looking forward to, specifically the ones that help you find storage boxes and data pads.

I will get them though. just will take a bit longer. Luckily I am already fairly badass on the combat thanks to my faux paux here.

For sure, getting the locator ones is a huge help. It's not perfect and the radius seems way to small for my tastes before the tracker alerts you but it does help. Someone else on here had a great idea in that it would be cool if there was an upgrade that showed collectibles when you use focus (or whatever it's called). But yeah at least you got the combat stuff out of the way, I need to finish that tree up too damn it.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

Again thank you!!!

Good to hear. I was unsure about the game for the first two hours but now it's starting to click a lot more. I'm enjoying just stopping my car and checking out buildings for chests or clearing bandits.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I just finished the story. well it was bad tbh but the gunplay is so good that I can easily let it go. There are a lot of side quests remain that I want to complete only because of the gunplay.
Doing all the side stuff was infinitely more enjoyable and interesting to me than main story stuff. Mutant Bash TV is so good, honestly.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Good to hear. I was unsure about the game for the first two hours but now it's starting to click a lot more. I'm enjoying just stopping my car and checking out buildings for chests or clearing bandits.

I would highly recommend looking up these abilities:

Rush, double dash, and double jump. They make exploring on foot soooooo much better

Also, getting the Dr to level 7 gives you access to the gyrocopter which is a game changer in terms of exploration.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
I accidentally finished this a few nights ago. Didn't even realise I was on the last mission as it felt really early. An even more out of the blue ending than the first, which is hilarious. Maybe it's a pillar of their design.

It was a bit frustrating as I felt like I was doing loads of side activities and really enjoying. Certainly wasn't in a rush to finish. It's also way too easy to miss arks - I finished with only two powers and four guns.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I accidentally finished this a few nights ago. Didn't even realise I was on the last mission as it felt really early. An even more out of the blue ending than the first, which is hilarious. Maybe it's a pillar of their design.

It was a bit frustrating as I felt like I was doing loads of side activities and really enjoying. Certainly wasn't in a rush to finish. It's also way too easy to miss arks - I finished with only two powers and four guns.

The game needed more guidance for players. I can only imagine your experience was close to the average.

You missed out on so many aspects of the wonderful combat and reversal.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
How do you know if you are about to finish the game? I figure you need to get all 3 people to 100% then you unlock the final mission ?

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
How do you know if you are about to finish the game? I figure you need to get all 3 people to 100% then you unlock the final mission ?
Ya, when you have 9 checkmarks for the 3 quests for each of the 3 NPCs, you unlock the final mission. And 3 of those checkmarks are just being level 5 with each NPC's side-quests.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017

Rush, double dash, and double jump. They make exploring on foot soooooo much better

Also, getting the Dr to level 7 gives you access to the gyrocopter which is a game changer in terms of exploration.

Thanks! I was looking for some guidance on what to unlock first. I have double jump, which has been very helpful. I'll get the others ASAP.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London

But the gyrocopter really exposes how shit the open world is, because you end up just beelining from question mark to question mark. That's not exploring, IMO, and it's not fun.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
But the gyrocopter really exposes how shit the open world is, because you end up just beelining from question mark to question mark. That's not exploring, IMO, and it's not fun.
The open world isn't well designed regardless. There are some areas that are more condensed than others, and they can actually be quite fun to explore... in car and even on foot, but there is also a huge amount of dead space and air.

The copter takes a huge amount of the sting out of the latter sections.

If there were in car radio, shifts in weather, or some other distractions, it might be nice to drive through the more barren parts of the wasteland. As it stands, the copter is a cure for that particular ailment, imo.

I really enjoy the ? sections themselves, many of them are actually very well designed spaces with multiple ways to gain entry to locked areas, interconnecting pathways with great use of verticality etc... it's not about checking off ?s, it's about getting to the good stuff asap.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
The open world isn't well designed regardless. There are some areas that are more condensed than others, and they can actually be quite fun to explore... in car and even on foot, but there is also a huge amount of dead space and air.

The copter takes a huge amount of the sting out of the latter sections.

If there were in car radio, shifts in weather, or some other distractions, it might be nice to drive through the more barren parts of the wasteland. As it stands, the copter is a cure for that particular ailment, imo.

I really enjoy the ? sections themselves, many of them are actually very well designed spaces with multiple ways to gain entry to locked areas, interconnecting pathways with great use of verticality etc... it's not about checking off ?s, it's about getting to the good stuff asap.
Fair points.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
The game needed more guidance for players. I can only imagine your experience was close to the average.

You missed out on so many aspects of the wonderful combat and reversal.
I had double jump, rush and double dash. Still doing side stuff now as the combat is so fun but yeah it came out of nowhere.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
Finished the game after 37 hours, cleared practically every "?" on the map (except for the Authority sentries because that garbage sucks), found every Ark for every ability and every weapon, and I've already forgotten nearly every damned thing about this game.

Just like Mad Max -- the game from which Avalanche "copied and pasted" practically every aspect of the open world gameolay -- RAGE 2 is a fairly competent yet completely unmemorable game. But at least I was able to get through some pretty great podcasts while playing it!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I had double jump, rush and double dash. Still doing side stuff now as the combat is so fun but yeah it came out of nowhere.

Did you have things like the ability to hoover up close by shards to regain health? Or having enemies hover in the air after a smash for longer?

There are loads of little perks and tweaks in the skills and projects that really refine the combat to a sharp point.

For example, on the hardest difficultly you can literally stand in the middle of a dozen enemies tanking blows. If you have revive, shard hover and heal, and other refinements to your CC like prolonged suspension, you can control an entire crowd while you heal after each kill, lock down a group, and even time your revive to string between kills.

I honestly think the combat in this game is top tier, close to the best FPS combat this gen.. but it really needs all the little nuances and refinements to unlock to truly shine. And it's a huge shame many players won't even know this.

I almost wish there was some kind of arena/horde mode you unlock on completion that just gives you access to everything so at the very least people would get to jump in and try it all once completed.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
If one person who is also still early on can read my story and realize project points are universal, which I really do not think the game does a very good job at all at conveying, that is all that matters to me. Fortunately I enjoy everything I did unlock and I do feel pretty badass, but it just would have been nice to know this was the case.

I was doing the exact same thing as well. I would set a waypoint but then whatever I came across, I would explore. Literally whatever it is if it looked explorable or I could shoot some shit, I stopped. Now that I know what I do about the project points, I do think I am going to go to that last person I have left for two main reasons. 1) I will then have all projects unlocked and what I am now finding to me perhaps more important 2) I will have another fast travel option. Once I get that 3rd person unlocked I will go back to playing it as I was as I enjoyed just the feeling of taking my time and exploring so to speak.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The convoy side stuff is terribad. The car weapons are shit and hard to aim. And there is no real incepetive to collect cars, you get the best shit through the quest through the main quest

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017

It was to be expected considering the first game, it's just there i guess.

9 hours in and i´m loving the game. It´s basically Mad Max fps with the Rage aesthetic.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
So i finished it last week loved the gameplay to finish 95% of every location story was decent imo. But jeeze without the side content and exploring it would have been short easily 3-5 hours.

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
I just started this game and immediately bumped it to Nightmare because the first couple hours on Normal felt braindead. And yet I'm still mowing dudes down. I basically one shotted a boss in overdrive and didn't even notice. Is the game just way too easy in general, or did I miss a difficulty setting somewhere?

Haribokart

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has good gameplay for the FPS parts, but everything else about it is terrible. Ugly art, unremarkable graphics, awful story/characters, terrible music/sounds and just no hook whatsoever. The game also just ends at random and leaves you with a load of shit to do on the map. The main thing you'll be doing is looking for shit collectibles. I couldn't be bothered and uninstalled it, what a disappointment. I'd struggle to recommend this crap to anybody.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
So I had preordered the deluxe edition, but I can't seem to find stuff I'm supposedly entitled to.

The preorder was supposed to get me some mission called Cult of Death God - can't find it.
And the deluxe was supposed to get me the BFG9000 - can't find it.

Looked at guides as to how to get them, but they don't seem to show up for me (PS4). What gives?

Oct 25, 2017
So I had preordered the deluxe edition, but I can't seem to find stuff I'm supposedly entitled to.

The preorder was supposed to get me some mission called Cult of Death God - can't find it.
And the deluxe was supposed to get me the BFG9000 - can't find it.

Looked at guides as to how to get them, but they don't seem to show up for me (PS4). What gives?

Have you linked to a Bethesda account? They hide the dlc and preorder content behind that.

dmoe

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Picked this up for 45, and am having a blast. The gunplay is really fun and killing someone is satisfying. It needs a few improvements with the map and stuff.

The main thing I want is to see this morph into more borderlands style with loot, disapointed there is no looting or need to change guns. I can just use the same assault rifle forever it seems.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Only missing one final trophy (crushed) for the platinum.
But i can't seem to spawn a new crusher mutant, to kill with the Phoenix. Literally tried it at the spots mentioned in guides and comments for the past few days (while searching for the drones). But not a single one did ever spawn again.

Guess I'll have start a new game just to kill one of them with the car.

Edit: Platin done.
Phew, the trophies were super easy, but the game has so many little annoyances, bugs, and such a bland/boring open world, that getting the platinum was super straining / frustrating at the end.

Had a fun time with the game, especially at the beginning, with the nice and satisfying gameplay, but yeah, many other aspects of the game are badly executed, not well thought out, or unfinished. Feels like they suddenly were out of budget and time, so they couldn't finish and implement every idea & feature etc.

I would rate it a 5,5 or 6 out of 10.

Last edited:

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
The last mission/cutscene of the campaign is so terrible, good grief. I mean, as a whole, the story is bad. But it really wraps up poorly.

SFLUFAN

Oct 27, 2017
Alexandria, VA
The last mission/cutscene of the campaign is so terrible, good grief. I mean, as a whole, the story is bad. But it really wraps up poorly.

It's so very awful that I almost wonder if it was intended as some type of "avant garde" art meant to symbolize...something.

I simply refuse to believe that an actual human being looked at it and said, "Yeah, this is good - let's go with it!"

Last edited:

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I only have the final mission left, and I don't think I've even put in a full 5 hours into the game.
If it wasn't open world, I doubt it would be longer than 3 hours.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
Beat it and yeah that last cutscene makes zero sense, but all the story cutscenes are pretty bad in the game so that wasn't a shocker. I think the original's ending was still worse. The whole final mission was easier than some outposts.

I got all the Ark abilities and weapons, did about 1/3-1/2 of the outposts, and it took around 15 hours.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
What happened to the roadmap they released before the game came out? According to this there was supposed to be some event last month and it never happened right?
segment79lmj6p.png

cowbanana

Feb 2, 2018
a Socialist Utopia
What happened to the roadmap they released before the game came out? According to this there was supposed to be some event last month and it never happened right?
segment79lmj6p.png

I wonder if all the planned content will see the light of day now that the game seems to have been a commercial bomba. I'm still waiting for 20 bucks on Steam since it looks like a game that was rushed on a small budget - aka a bargain bin game. The game just screams low budget and minimum effort*

* from the publisher's side.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Yup, even though I had some fun in bursts, this is the first big disappointment of 2019.
I thought it would at least look good - I recall being pretty impressed with the first Rage's graphics, but that was last generation, and they didn't seem to improve much.