• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Oof those pro impressions don't sound great, hopefully the PC version isn't fucked up cause I'm gonna have my first build finished next week. I wasn't sure if I wanted to wait but I probably will

MrLPG

Dec 29, 2017
Interesting. What did you think of it overall?

Dpex's post basically sums up my experience:

played a little further

yeah, indoor stuff feels better than the open world outposts, the gunplay is really nice. there is some kind of arena with different levels and difficulties that is really funny, when you have a small room with hazards and many enemies, it gets frantic and it feels great
unfortunately this won´t really happen in the open world, the outposts so far were just shooting galleries with the occasional explosive barrel here and there and you just mow through them with the overdrive (sort of a state where you deal more damage)

as i said, if someone likes the Far Cry formula including stuff like "do x things for y to progress", you will feel right at home in this game. basically there are 3 contacts on the map and you have to do stuff for them to progress the individual storylines(clear outposts, do a bounty, basic stuff). also Rage 1 fans should be pleased, it is like an 80´s dumb action movie version of Rage, if this makes sense.

performance is ok but when there is really frantic action going on it isn´t 60fps anymore.

map looks small but the distances are massive, this is a bigger game than expected.

controls also feel tight. so far this is a strange game, i think this would be awesome with 4-6 players on the map which could meet up to do stuff together, it feels like there is everything set up for a great co op game...

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
You can power through the main story of Mad Max in like 8 hours if you want, but there's definitely 40-50 hours of things to do. Seemingly this is the same way?

MrLPG

Dec 29, 2017
You can power through the main story of Mad Max in like 8 hours if you want, but there's definitely 40-50 hours of things to do. Seemingly this is the same way?

Yeah, that would be correct. There are a lot of markers on the map.

EDIT: Just to make sure - I didn't rush it. Played pretty normally and got credits after 11 hours. If you want to do everything on the map - that should take around 40 hours indeed. Map is much bigger than I've expected.

Last edited:

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018

yeah, but the side quests in mad max and just cause series is just the worst shit imaginable. Most boring and useless. If this is the same then its bad

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The humour of this game is pretty much tonally exact with Borderlands "try hard edge lord + hey fellow kids" style nonsense.

The gameplay is what I'm after, and the gameplay in the trailer looked pretty fun.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
So a couple of the "things to know" videos mention one of the abilities gives you better loot while active. Does this game have random loot? I've Google around but I swear you can't Google a video game and the word loot in 2019 without every damned search return being about loot boxes.

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
Excellent and well put together OT Vestan.

Pre-ordered my copy yesterday at Best Buy using my friend's GCU and comes with a $10 pre-order reward certificate so for $38, worth a shot. Reading impressions, I LOVED MAD MAX and gave it a 9/10 so if Rage 2 is being summed up as an open world Mad Max with the FPS of Doom, im great to play!!! LOL.

No HDR is disappointing though but expected as I don't think Bethesda has implemented it into their games yet. At least, as far as I know anyway. Happy about the FOV, Motion Blur and CA options. Increase FOV and turn off MB and CA for me. Expecting in the 70's for the game come Monday but for me, probably a 9/10. Hahaha.

Morbius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy Moley this is the best OT ive ever seen on this site, Great Job OP! cant wait for Tuesday!!

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
pretty disappointed about the lack of HDR and the vaseline look. 60fps is nice but the IQ is gonna be rough after playing days gone.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
The game itself looks great and I've liked the game play previews, but the ad campaign just feels like its trying to hard for me.
The humour of this game is pretty much tonally exact with Borderlands "try hard edge lord + hey fellow kids" style nonsense.

The gameplay is what I'm after, and the gameplay in the trailer looked pretty fun.

In full agreement with you guys. The ad campaign is almost bad enough for me not to get the game at all though. They are shooting themselves in the foot with that edge. But we'll see how good the actual game is.

Hassansan

Oct 27, 2017
Was a lil bit salty that Bethesda region locked the Steam version from my country which is btw not blocked on their site, but I may bite with that CDkeys price (£28.99 for the EMEA version).
Gonna wait for more PC version impressions.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
So a couple of the "things to know" videos mention one of the abilities gives you better loot while active. Does this game have random loot? I've Google around but I swear you can't Google a video game and the word loot in 2019 without every damned search return being about loot boxes.

No, there's no random loot. I assume better loot means more currency drops (feltrite, and cash), no randomized guns or any such.

Kehaan

Feb 27, 2019
Danmark
Wow this is an amazing OT! Great job!

I am looking forward to the game. I have pre-ordered the collectors edition. Even with the post ealier in this thread, about it being similiar to Far Cry is not making me not want the game, as i personally like Far Cry games a lot :P

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
played for 2 hours on PS4Pro, gotta say i am deflated...

-graphics are not good, very blurry, pop ins when driving around, not vibrant at all, has a vaseline smear look
-texture work is plain bad for a game late in the console generation
-presentation really dry with plain textboxes for logs you find and static menus
-gameplayloop is essentially Far Cry...outposts, bounty targets and so on...yawn
-there are cities where you can buy resources and get "quests"
-tone of the game is relatively stupid and uninteresting
-driving around on a mostly empty map with 5-10 enemies here and there and other cars which you can race against..how exciting -.-
-NPC speak slooooooowly, super annoying
-copy paste with "arks" which are like droppods where you get upgrades
-forced tutorials for things like doublejump and shooting a shotgun...
-german voice for the female character is awful
-nights are bright as days

the most positive thing:
the core element-the shooting and the movement- is really good but the overall game is not really good so far, been here done that gameplay and for me the whole thing doesn´t really come together
performance good but it is a tradeoff for blurry textures and extreme pop ins. things like rocks and buildings are also very blocky...
would rather like this game with HDR in 4K and 30fps, it has a really cheap look

very easy game so far, even on hard, enemies seem stupid and you can revive yourself with a quicktime event....

that´s it for now, keep in mind i am harsh with games these days, so if someone wants a little pew pew and likes the Far Cry formula and Mad Max, might be a good game for those people but i don´t know if it is worth full price.

gonna play further to see if it gets better, first impression could have been better

So, to me this says "get it on PC and you're gonna have a great time if you like DOOM and Far Cry."

Not sure someone who "is harsh on games these days" should be getting threadmarked, but okay.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So, to me this says "get it on PC and you're gonna have a great time if you like DOOM and Far Cry."

Not sure someone who "is harsh on games these days" should be getting threadmarked, but okay.
Why not? There's a distinct lack of early impressions and this information may be useful for those that are on the fence. I don't think it's fair to not highlight some of the issues the game may have. At the end of the day, it's up to you to take these impressions to heart.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Why not? There's a distinct lack of early impressions and this information may be useful for those that are on the fence. I don't think it's fair to not highlight some of the issues the game may have. At the end of the day, it's up to you to take these impressions to heart.

Because I can't recall the last game Dphex wasn't on here trashing.

Early Impressions from Kemono (PS4 Pro)

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
About 5 hours in and i love it.

The open world and the side Missions are bog-standard but the gunplay is sweet as honey. So much fun. The mix of the guns and powers are so awesome.

The Shotgun. Top 3 shotguns of all time. That thing alone makes me love the game.

The enemy ai isn't really that good but the movement of them makes up for that. Like in the first Rage.

90% 60fps (PS4 Pro) so far i would say. Only once i saw tearing for a second.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

The open world and the side Missions are bog-standard but the gunplay is sweet as honey. So much fun. The mix of the guns and powers are so awesome.

The Shotgun. Top 3 shotguns of all time. That thing alone makes me love the game.

The enemy ai isn't really that good but the movement of them makes up for that. Like in the first Rage.

Thanks for sharing these impressions. The talk about the shotgun got me hyped, better not disappoint :D

Nov 30, 2018

Yet nothing about sub standard graphics which mean a lot when it comes to a $60 big budget game.

Regardless if it's 60fps

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Because I can't recall the last game Dphex wasn't on here trashing.

well, i am not easily impressed and really many games nowadays are bog standard stuff, why should i celebrate when for me there isn´t anything to celebrate or when i have the feeling that i already played the game.

for me, Rage 2 also falls in this category, it has good gunplay but there are numerous things that could be much better. it is no bad game for sure but it doesn´t do anything special for me. the visual aspects alone are enough to make for a deflated early impression, they cutted the graphics completely back to make the game 60fps. i would have played this at 4k with HDR at 30fps if there would have been the option..

maybe other people can make more out of things i point out than you- which is completely fine.

other than that, out of the top of my head i didn´t trash Sekiro, Hollow Knight, Nex Machina, Astro Bot, God of War, Tetris Effect...the list goes on. and even for games i liked i will happily point out flaws, so it is not that i am only raving about games that i like.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I was a pretty big fan of the original game. Never understood the hate for it (aside from those shit megatextures from iDtech5) and thought it had some of the best FPS combat from last gen. I'm excited for this but I'm also cautiously optimistic seeing as Avalanche is the dev team and I'm not the biggest fan of them (never cared for the Just Cause games). Waiting for reviews on this one.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
One thing to note: Both Just Cause 3 and Just Cause 4 performed significantly better on PCs than consoles, so if you're interested in this game and have a PC, I'd recommend going PC.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not really loving the marketing for this game. Seems bordering on homophobic for the dudebro demographic. I get what they're going for, but it feels like something out of last decade.

At 0:43:

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yet nothing about sub standard graphics which mean a lot when it comes to a $60 big budget game.

Regardless if it's 60fps

I already talked about the graphics in an older post.

1080p, blurry, aliasing and bad pop-in. Textures range from good to bad, npcs look ok but nothing to write home about.

I'm sorry that i don't shit on the game enough for your liking. Graphics are important, i own an i7 9990k with a 2080ti so believe me i know good graphics, but after a while i tune stuff like this out on console.

For 60 FPS you've to expect downgrades on these old toasters.

I'm more happy that the loading times are so short after a death. Saving and loading is also done every fast.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I had no idea this was out now. I've had the itch to replay Mad Max for a while but this might just do.

Does this game have any gun and vehicle customization (beyond just paint) ?

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

1080p, blurry, aliasing and bad pop-in. Textures range from good to bad, npcs look ok but nothing to write home about.

I'm sorry that i don't shit on the game enough for your liking. Graphics are important, i own an i7 9990k with a 2080ti so believe me i know good graphics, but after a while i tune stuff like this out on console.

I'm more happy that the loading times are so short after a death. Saving and loading is also done every fast.
People have way too high expectations for these near decade old consoles. Something has to give. Have we seen any PC footage yet?

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
I had no idea this was out now. I've had the itch to replay Mad Max for a while but this might just do.

Does this game have any gun and vehicle customization (beyond just paint) ?
You can upgrade your weapons and your vehicle, yes. There are mods like quick fire, more ammunition for the weapons and additional weapons or mor armor for the vehicles.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017

Ah I see now, your judgement of graphics comes from a very high bar with the 2080ti. I'll wait till others weight in that are more accustomed to console-quality. Sorry, you're scale just doesn't apply to me.