• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
From the impressions so far, I'm thinking this could be yet another open-world game that would have been better off as a linear experience

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
From the impressions so far, I'm thinking this could be yet another open-world game that would have been better off as a linear experience
It looks cool, but the 11-hour length is giving me pause. For $60+ I expect more. Maybe I'm just spoiled from Switch game pricing and the frequent sales, but $60 seems like a big ask here.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018

There's no situation when guided, restrictive design is better than player choice and options. Problem is, nearly every dev does open world in the shittiest way imaginable. This seems like one of the many that do.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
It looks cool, but the 11-hour length is giving me pause. For $60+ I expect more. Maybe I'm just spoiled from Switch game pricing and the frequent sales, but $60 seems like a big ask here.
I personally consider that a positive. So many games have hours and hours of bloat that i never get around to completing them. Just give me a solid campaign and don't bloat it with a bunch of unnecessary side quests and i'll be happy. If you are playing on PC you can buy the game right now for sub $40

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
20190511_220458u8jjx.jpg

Gero

Oct 28, 2017
Im pretty sure this game is a 20+ hour experience if you play it like every other open world game. Doing side stuffs, camps, upgrades and main missions.

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
About 5 hours in and i love it.

The open world and the side Missions are bog-standard but the gunplay is sweet as honey. So much fun. The mix of the guns and powers are so awesome.

The Shotgun. Top 3 shotguns of all time. That thing alone makes me love the game.

The enemy ai isn't really that good but the movement of them makes up for that. Like in the first Rage.

90% 60fps (PS4 Pro) so far i would say. Only once i saw tearing for a second.

What difficulty level are you playing on? Thanks.

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019

Thanks. Looks like I'll be playing on hard as well if it's not really that difficult and enemy AI isn't great.

Really?
Because compared to something like Days Gone, i find 11 hrs waaaay more inviting than an overlong 50

To each their own. I literally finished Days Gone in 120 hours with 100% completion and enjoyed it so much that it's my current game of the year. Excellent game in my opinion.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
What I want to know is does this game suffer from awful sound mixing like virtually every Bethesda game?

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
So for anyone playing, are there any callbacks to Rage 1? How important would you say it is to get refreshed on the story? Asking because i'm wondering if i should just look up some Youtube movies with the cutscenes. Didn't really play it again after completing it in 2011.

Anyone receive their key from greenman yet? Cdkeys canceled my order so had to go with GMG.
Why did they cancel it? Do you live in the US perhaps? The first keys they had up for pre order were changed to EMEA keys (Europe, Middle East), so that could be why.

Last edited:

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Nope, still waiting on my Keys.

Saw on reddit someone from gmg saying it would be available on launch Day only.

Oh damn that sucks. It's s available to play on Monday too but I guess not for us. Thanks for the info though.

Why did they cancel it? Do you live in the US perhaps? The first keys they had up for pre order were changed to EMEA keys (Europe, Middle East), so that could be why.

That's exactly what happened! I'm in the US and when I purchased, it was clearly listed as the right region for me. And then just a week ago they canceled it saying it was the wrong region.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
played for 5 hours total, the game doesn´t come quite together for me, in fact i would say this makes all the same mistakes as the first Rage and infused it with repetitive open world bloat.

i don´t know, everything has a really cheap style which screams budget game to me. the assets are also quite underwhelming, mannequins everywhere(what do they all have with mannequins in their games, from Resident Evil to The Division i have seen so much mannequins in games this generation...), every outpost has the same assets so far, mannequins, traffic lights and random scrap, everything blends together...

the game isn´t funny or whacko at all, at first i thought it is some kind of a parody of those typical open world action games but nah, there is a story and it takes itself half seriously...

the good shooting is outnumbered by mediocre driving around doing checklist tasks and the pacing suffers because of it.
it would fit the game better if it was a linear shooter.

really awful is the menu, you can´t switch the tabs fast enough, when you want to craft a healthkit you have to change to the third tab which takes too long for its own good and the whole menu system and interface looks like from last console generation, it is a real bummer.

scale is also off, when you are in a car the enemies are too big/the car too small, running around you think you are a midget

i think i will rush through it once and directly sell it off.

edit: i am really wondering why this has no co op, completely missed opportunity...

Last edited:

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
played for 5 hours total, the game doesn´t come quite together for me, in fact i would say this makes all the same mistakes as the first Rage and infused it with repetitive open world bloat.

i don´t know, everything has a really cheap style which screams budget game to me. the assets are also quite underwhelming, mannequins everywhere(what do they all have with mannequins in their games, from Resident Evil to The Division i have seen so much mannequins in games this generation...), every outpost has the same assets so far, mannequins, traffic lights and random scrap, everything blends together...

the game isn´t funny or whacko at all, at first i thought it is some kind of a parody of those games but nah, there is a story and it takes itself half seriously...

the good shooting is outnumbered by mediocre driving around doing checklist tasks and the pacing suffers because of it.
it would fit the game better if it was a linear shooter.

really awful is the menu, you can´t switch the tabs fast enough, when you want to craft a healthkit you have to change to the third tab which takes too long for its own good and the whole menu system and interface looks like from last console generation, it is a real bummer.

i think i will rush through it once and directly sell it off.
That's a shame. I loved the shooting, but hated the driving in the original. Sounds like this is going to be more of the same.
Cdkeys hasn't sent my key out yet would love to play for myself.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
That's a shame. I loved the shooting, but hated the driving in the original. Sounds like this is going to be more of the same.
Cdkeys hasn't sent my key out yet would love to play for myself.

You won't be able to play until Monday anyway.

I think Dphex just doesn't like open world games man. If you also don't like open world games, might wanna cancel.

And Dphex, I saw that list of games you said you like. I think the only one I'm with you on is Sekiro, so I think our tastes are just antithetical. Gives me hope I'll really like this game, since I also really like Division 2 lol

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
You won't be able to play until Monday anyway.

I think Dphex just doesn't like open world games man. If you also don't like open world games, might wanna cancel.

And Dphex, I saw that list of games you said you like. I think the only one I'm with you on is Sekiro, so I think our tastes are just antithetical. Gives me hope I'll really like this game, since I also really like Division 2 lol
I'm still keeping my pre order since $39 is a pretty good price and the shooting looks solid enough for me. I just wish this game was a linear shooter. When did that genre became a dirty term? Everything AAA is open world nowadays. :/

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Been excited for this. Apparently the copy I ordered is delayed and may be cancelled so I'll have to pick it up at EB or something

Any idea how long it is?

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Good OT.
Well, I'll play on PC, so I hope it looks decent at least.
Not an open world game fan though, but the Doom gameplay is so tempting.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
Need to decide folks..

Either xbox one X with a 4k tv.

Or PC I have a 2700x Ryzen with a RTX 2070 and an Ultra Wide Monitor with G-Sync

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Need to decide folks..

Either xbox one X with a 4k tv.

Or PC I have a 2700x Ryzen with a RTX 2070 and an Ultra Wide Monitor with G-Sync

PC since the One X version is going to be 1080p

Will def run the game at above 60fps maxed with Vulkan

Hell, you can probably even hook up your rig to your TV and try the game in 4K if you wanted

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
Loved Avalanche's work with Mad Max, but the trailers and the overall tone they've been selling with this game have been completely off-putting to me. Really hoping that the attempts at humor and the zany punk vibe they've been selling is just a marketing miss and not really indicative of the writing in the game.

Looking forward to reviews though. If it ends up that the marketing has just been misguided, they'll have my money.

Update after reading more of the thread....well shit

played for 2 hours on PS4Pro, gotta say i am deflated...

-graphics are not good, very blurry, pop ins when driving around, not vibrant at all, has a vaseline smear look
-texture work is plain bad for a game late in the console generation
-presentation really dry with plain textboxes for logs you find and static menus
-gameplayloop is essentially Far Cry...outposts, bounty targets and so on...yawn
-there are cities where you can buy resources and get "quests"
-tone of the game is relatively stupid and uninteresting
-driving around on a mostly empty map with 5-10 enemies here and there and other cars which you can race against..how exciting -.-
-NPC speak slooooooowly, super annoying
-copy paste with "arks" which are like droppods where you get upgrades
-forced tutorials for things like doublejump and shooting a shotgun...
-german voice for the female character is awful
-nights are bright as days

the most positive thing:
the core element-the shooting and the movement- is really good but the overall game is not really good so far, been here done that gameplay and for me the whole thing doesn´t really come together
performance good but it is a tradeoff for blurry textures and extreme pop ins. things like rocks and buildings are also very blocky...
would rather like this game with HDR in 4K and 30fps, it has a really cheap look

very easy game so far, even on hard, enemies seem stupid and you can revive yourself with a quicktime event....

that´s it for now, keep in mind i am harsh with games these days, so if someone wants a little pew pew and likes the Far Cry formula and Mad Max, might be a good game for those people but i don´t know if it is worth full price.

gonna play further to see if it gets better, first impression could have been better

Early Impressions from ApexNorth (Xbox One X and SSD)

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
After playing the game all day, I thought I would share my thoughts for those on the fence:

• Loading screens don't exceed 10 seconds.
  • For those who loved DOOM(2016) gameplay you will love RAGE 2's gameplay.
  • No issues with performance, popping in textures, FPS drops etc.
  • Most guns have different firing modes depending if your using ADS.
  • Overcharge with certain guns feels great (Don't wanna spoil anything).
  • Certain cars talk(Getting out, Getting in, Repairing) and some of the dialog is hilarious.
  • FOV Slider in the options menu.
  • Two different reticles are available. (The Alternate is just a white dot).
  • If you've played the original RAGE you'll see some familiar faces.
  • Lot's of things to do, discovering Arks, destroying Gas Stations to name a few.
  • Guns have different skins.
  • Some of the abilities kick ass, Shatter can cause some nasty gory mess.
  • All guns can be upgraded multiple times.
  • If you ever lose your vehicle you can spawn another one right next you.
There is a couple of issues I have noticed.
  • One of the abilities I unlocked doesn't work.
  • The menu can be incredibly laggy.
I am playing on the Xbox One X with the game installed on to a SSD.

Overall, the game feels like someone mashed Just Cause 2 with DOOM(2016). And honestly the result is pretty great. If you like the following games: Just Cause 2, DOOM(2016) or RAGE there is definitely something here for you.

I hope I've helped some of you who are on the fence!

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
After playing the game all day, I thought I would share my thoughts for those on the fence:

• Certain cars talk(Getting out, Getting in, Repairing) and some of the dialog is hilarious.
  • Lot's of things to do, discovering Arks, destroying Gas Stations to name a few.

Overall, the game feels like someone mashed Just Cause 2 with DOOM(2016). And honestly the result is pretty great. If you like the following games: Just Cause 2, DOOM(2016) or RAGE there is definitely something here for you.

I hope I've helped some you who are on the fence!
Some nice positivity to balance it out. :) I like all three games!

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
S rank OT. Good job, man.
Thanks my man, excited to see the Youngblood OT. Hit me up if you need some assistance on that.

I hope I've helped some of you who are on the fence!
Wait, what? Cars talk? That's a new one.