• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Everything they've shown I've loved, if this reviews well I'm going to pick it up for sure, I could use a break from MK11. I still can't seem to find out how far into the game the cheat code wizard appears if you don't buy the deluxe edition? I really want to play the game with the Danny Dyer pack but it would suck if it takes hours to unlock it.

Apr 8, 2018
Got a call from my local GameStop earlier saying my preorder will be ready to pick up Monday at 8pm. Did they really move up the launch time for Rage 2? I always remember these early launches being at 9pm.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Seems like the main story is 11 to 15 hours, 100% is around 40 to 50

Thanks. Maybe I'll just rent it for a week first, while I wait for my copy. EB has that seven day satisfaction thing.

Though I do try to be thorough so it'll probably take me longer than that.

Hard mode is indeed way too easy.

Guess I'm playing on hard then. Hopefully the difficulty can be changed at will though.

After playing the game all day, I thought I would share my thoughts for those on the fence:

• Loading screens don't exceed 10 seconds.
  • For those who loved DOOM(2016) gameplay you will love RAGE 2's gameplay.
  • No issues with performance, popping in textures, FPS drops etc.
  • Most guns have different firing modes depending if your using ADS.
  • Overcharge with certain guns feels great (Don't wanna spoil anything).
  • Certain cars talk(Getting out, Getting in, Repairing) and some of the dialog is hilarious.
  • FOV Slider in the options menu.
  • Two different reticles are available. (The Alternate is just a white dot).
  • If you've played the original RAGE you'll see some familiar faces.
  • Lot's of things to do, discovering Arks, destroying Gas Stations to name a few.
  • Guns have different skins.
  • Some of the abilities kick ass, Shatter can cause some nasty gory mess.
  • All guns can be upgraded multiple times.
  • If you ever lose your vehicle you can spawn another one right next you.
There is a couple of issues I have noticed.
  • One of the abilities I unlocked doesn't work.
  • The menu can be incredibly laggy.
I am playing on the Xbox One X with the game installed on to a SSD.

Overall, the game feels like someone mashed Just Cause 2 with DOOM(2016). And honestly the result is pretty great. If you like the following games: Just Cause 2, DOOM(2016) or RAGE there is definitely something here for you.

I hope I've helped some of you who are on the fence!

Sounds like my type of game. I loved the first and JC2

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Doesn't load on mobile though. Needs some more compression.
After playing the game all day, I thought I would share my thoughts for those on the fence:

• Certain cars talk(Getting out, Getting in, Repairing) and some of the dialog is hilarious.
  • Lot's of things to do, discovering Arks, destroying Gas Stations to name a few.

Overall, the game feels like someone mashed Just Cause 2 with DOOM(2016). And honestly the result is pretty great. If you like the following games: Just Cause 2, DOOM(2016) or RAGE there is definitely something here for you.

sounds awesome

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I'm so tempted to pick this up on release. I only need review scores of ~80% to confirm my purchase!

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019

That's what I needed to read! Thank you very much for this

Pre-loaded and ready!

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Don't know if I wanna risk going PC. Anyone think a 1070 could hold 60 FPS at 1440p?
I have a 1070. If you'd rather wait for impressions, I should be able to tell you how it performs at 1440p.

I think it should be good, though. If the PS4 Pro can hold a mostly 60fps at 1080p, then the 1070 should be good.

Early Impressions from Reddit #1 (PS4 Pro)
OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Some more impressions from Reddit, this is on the PS4 Pro

Hi guys, I didn't think I'd be writing this impression post so soon, the mail man was very kind today and blessed me with an early copy of Rage 2, there for, I thought I'd give my bit back by sharing some early impressions..

First off, I'm playing on a PS4 PRO.

Starting off with my most impressive part... the gunplay is fantastic, feels weighty and very comparable to DOOM 2016 and also very reminiscing of bulletstorm, it's very faced paced and satisfyingly smooth, combine this with the weapon feedback and the body parts flying about, it's a visually impressive and also feels very dynamic.

The Driving also feels great, no complaints about it at all. controls feel just right, with the weight of it and all, it's fun taking those corners with the boost.

Exploration seems pretty good, though commenting on this would be unfair due to my playtime.

The story so far is pretty generic though, I think anyone looking for an amazing story is going to feel short changed here, pretty average narrative so far, that could all change, but the set up and its tone is rather meh.

Technical issues are minimal, but this is coming from someone who has sat through 50 hours of days gone, and that was a showcase for them. Ranging from quite bad pop ins to not sure if that was a mountain or an outpost when driving, though it's not a game breaker, the menu seems buggy as hell, though I'm not sure if its apart of the game design.

Visuals are average, nothing special and nothing horrendous, but in return the gameplay is super smooth and that is trade off I dont mind having.

so far so good. I'm very impressed so far by what I've played, imagine, Doom, bulletstorm and mad max and that's the game we've got.

I'm looking forward to diving deeper with the exploration and seeing what the customisation has to offer.

It's a good start. Cant wait to play more.

No problem. I might take you up on that. I'm actually working on going to QuakeCon this year and since the Youngblood comes out at the same time I might need some assistance. I'll let you know.
Dope. I'll be here.

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I'm on the fence hearing about bad performance.

I just wish they could add a 1440p and 30 fps locked. I know that 60fps is way better but... the inconsistency is a bit of trouble to me.

(Although I played Doom back in the day on the regular PS4 and never felt any slowdown. The motion blur in that game is absolutely nuts. It covers a lot of problems with so majesty).

I could wait two or three weeks. Bethesda games trends to have 33% sales pretty quickly (aside from Fallout 76bomb, The Evil Within 2 also got a 33% discount quickly being a stellar game, and Doom also went 33% after one month).

Should I wait perhaps? (I'm on Brazil but buying games on the US PS Store).

Ombra

Jan 22, 2018
This OT is legendary. Can't wait to kill all the things cause I'm..

ready to die, ready to kill!

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Just realized this will unlock at 7pm eastern on Monday through the Bethesda launcher. Now I'm really glad I didn't go with console.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017

How is vehicle handling???

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

Spleenpoker

Nov 11, 2017
I'm so tempted to pre order this but I might wait for PC impressions, so worried this will run terribly. Though Mad Max and Just Cause 3 ran like a dream on a 1060/6600K

MrLPG

Dec 29, 2017
yeah, but the side quests in mad max and just cause series is just the worst shit imaginable. Most boring and useless. If this is the same then its bad
Thanks!! How did you find the quality of the side quests? Fun/interesting or mostly fetch questy?

It's mostly "go there, blow stuff up", but that's expected from RAGE I guess. You are just getting different rewards based on "type" of mission. There are few, pretty fun exceptions but 70% of the time it's "visit location and kill everything". Gunplay and abilities are amazing though so if you're just looking for an excuse to shot stuff - you should be satisfied.

Nov 8, 2017
Oh dang, that's an odd choice considering the point of OG Rage was its use of idTech 5 and 'MegaTextures' at the time.

In several ways, Rage 2 is as much a sequel to Mad Max from 2015 as it is Rage 1. Id doesn't have the bandwidth to internally develop multiple games and also keep pushing their engine tech forward, so this almost certainly wouldn't have been made at all without an external developer pitching the game to Bethesda, and using Avalanche's open world engine makes sense for multiple reasons - Avalanche is already familiar with it and It allows for a truly open world game instead of Rage's pseudo-open world. The latter is significant because Bethesda isn't likely to have greenlit a third SciFi shooter franchise alongside Wolfenstein and Doom, it being open world with vehicular combat makes it different enough from those two games.

Pure speculation, but I also imagine that them going with neon + super punk aesthetic and massively bright colours was partially an effort to distance the game from Fallout's aesthetic, considering both series are open world, post apocalyptic, and involve using a lot of guns so if you squinted hard enough you might confuse them at a casual glance otherwise. Especially with this game going full open world and incorporating more upgrade/character progression elements.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017

I like the sound of most of this, but that laggy menu thing gives me ominous "we unlocked the framerate for menus and now misfortune has befallen your GPU" vibes. If that's the case, hopefully it will get patched.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
this is one of the times where bad graphics take me out of a game, it really looks awful on the Pro, low resolution textures, blocky structures, smear filter, rough LOD pop in, foliage looks like it shimmers, when driving around you see the whole foliage popping in all the time, it looks awful. sometimes it looks like from last console generation.

and for the driving feeling good, nah, this doesn´t feel very good, there are races and the car behaves like driving in a traintrack sometimes, it is like an invisible rail where you are driving on. it is super simplistic driving, you don´t feel any weight to the vehicle at all. it handles like a game from the beginning of the 2000s, for better or for worst.

the menus are indeed awful, it hangs all the time while switching tabs but you need to switch tabs to craft a healthkit for example. also, the menu looks amateurish and static with very small font, it is hideous. it looks like from a super cheap game

while the gunplay is good, there is not much impact on the enemies, there was some kind of bossfight with a larger enemy and it felt like shooting air.

this is the most "cool game for around 20bucks" feeling that i have since a long time, the whole problem with the game is, while the shooting is good there is not enough shooting. the shooting happens in short bursts, here an outpost, there an indoor section but it never feels very organicallly happening, it is always in set spots.

and i am really bummed by this 1080p/60fps decision, let players choose ffs, i don´t want such a blurry mess on a 4K Tv anymore, this game ignores every advancement that happened in the last years and it shows.

i am not impressed at all, this would have been a cool game in 2014...

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know if any of the legit key sites are sending out keys already? Lots of good deals going on...but the game unlocks in a few hours in Australia, however most sites seem to be sending out the keys in two days time.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
this is one of the times where bad graphics take me out of a game, it really looks awful on the Pro, low resolution textures, blocky structures, smear filter, rough LOD pop in, foliage looks like it shimmers, when driving around you see the whole foliage popping in all the time, it looks awful. sometimes it looks like from last console generation.

Avalanche's new engine is one of the worst for open-worlds. Their games looks pretty good only in promotional videos and once they get released, somehow even the PC versions looks nowhere near as good. Last day i checked one video with first 2 hours of the game running on base PS4 - performance and visuals were so bad, it almost looked like a different game than what they showed before. I'm honestly baffed why id/bethesda choosed to work with Avalanche.

abracadaver

Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Avalanche's new engine is one of the worst for open-worlds. Their games looks pretty good only in promotional videos and once they get released, somehow even the PC versions looks nowhere near as good. Last day i checked one video with first 2 hours of the game running on base PS4 - performance and visuals were so bad, it almost looked like a different game than what they showed before. I'm honestly baffed why id/bethesda choosed to work with Avalanche.

What? Mad Max and Just Cause 3 look amazing

Only Just Cause 4 is ugly in comparison but that's not the engines fault

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
I'm honestly baffed why Id/bethesda choosed to work with Avalanche.

i think they said in an interview they enjoyed their work in just cause 3. I dont know either. Avalanche has the absolute worst of the worst imaginable open world design. I mean, literally, theres not a single game that approaches open world gameplay in a worse manner. They just make a big map then squander the most mundane and boring shit possible, trying to cover the map. The same in all just cause games, same in mad max. More than likely same here

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
What? Mad Max and Just Cause 3 look amazing

Only Just Cause 4 is ugly in comparison but that's not the engines fault

I could be wrong, but i thought JC4 was the first game using newer version of Apex Engine? And now it seems like similar thing is happening with RAGE 2, where the game doesn't looks as good to what they promised before.