• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gorion's Ward

Apr 6, 2019
Israel <3
there is no stealth, the only thing you can skill is a move where you do a 100% kill when an enemy doesn´t see you beforehand, after that there is action. this is a pure shooter, no stealth elements
this is pretty much an open world in the Ubistyle and the shooting is only in camps, otherwise you drive around in your car.
there are also many ? on the map which mostly lead to lootable stuff which you need for upgrading
Thanks, somehow I remembered seeing a sort of nanosuit with invisibility like in Crysis for a second in one of the earlier trailers. No stealth is good. However the open world sounds really Ubi so I'll wait for a decent sale.. thanks for the details!

GavinUK86

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the first review is up, ahead of the embargo date.

https://pureplaystation.com/review-rage-2-ps4/2019/05/

Seems to mirror what most of the people with copies are saying. Great combat and gameplay, not so much on story and narrative.
sounds great. i like shorter games. i presume by 8 hours he means if you just barrel through the main missions... which i tend to do in open world games. if i feel the need to play around so more after the credits i'll mop up all the side stuff. being a massive fan of rage 1 i was always going to get this anyway. i hope the pc version is solid. if it runs like mad max then fantastic, if it runs like just cause then i'm in trouble.

PC Video Settings

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Could you give a few details on how the PC version is? Performance, the settings menu, any issues that jump out at you?

I don't know if I'm a fair assessment as I've been playing on two really beefy PCs. One with a 1800x + RTX 2080 Ti, the other with a 1700 + GTX 1080 Ti. Still, both were able to play with maxed settings and maintain 60FPS. My 1800x was running at 2560x1440 / 3440x1440 without any issues at 60FPS.

I did experience a few crashes during my time with the game. There are also some weird hitches, like when you're driving or in combat at times. Nothing that breaks the game.

Overall, this is DOOM 2016 all over again.

Rage_2_PC_videosettings1.jpg

Rage_2_PC_videosettings3.jpg

Rage_2_PC_videosettings4.jpg

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I don't know if I'm a fair assessment as I've been playing on two really beefy PCs. One with a 1800x + RTX 2080 Ti, the other with a 1700 + GTX 1080 Ti. Still, both were able to play with maxed settings and maintain 60FPS. My 1800x was running at 2560x1440 / 3440x1440 without any issues at 60FPS.

I did experience a few crashes during my time with the game. There are also some weird hitches, like when you're driving or in combat at times. Nothing that breaks the game.

Overall, this is DOOM 2016 all over again.
That sounds awesome, thanks :)

Dr. Ludwig

Oct 31, 2017
I think an open-world format fits RAGE 2's core quite well considering it's... well completely focused on combat. There are also linear "dungeons" in some of the preview videos I've seen so I hope it provides a good mix of open world mayhem with well designed interiors.

As long the driving isn't annoying, and the distances between interesting content isn't padded I can see having a good time with RAGE 2 especially with the varied weaponry.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I think an open-world format fits RAGE 2's core quite well considering it's... well completely focused on combat. There are also linear "dungeons" in some of the preview videos I've seen so I hope it provides a good mix of open world mayhem with well designed interiors.

As long the driving isn't annoying, and the distances between interesting content isn't padded I can see having a good time with RAGE 2 especially with the varied weaponry.

the indoor sections are very limited, mostly you will do outposts...which is unfortunate, the game is much better indoors. but for that there is an arena mode which i like the most about the game tbh

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like Doom (2016), but did like the 1st Rage game. Didn't really care for Mad Max either and some ppl compared Days Gone to it which I loved. So it's looking like their's a 50/50 chance for me that I'll like it or dislike it. I'm still playing it sometime this week after launch and hope for the best!

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't like Doom (2016), but did like the 1st Rage game. Didn't really care for Mad Max either and some ppl compared Days Gone to it which I loved. So it's looking like their's a 50/50 chance for me that I'll like it or dislike it. I'm still playing it sometime this week after launch and hope for the best!
Quite literally nothing about this game is any way reminiscent of Days Gone. Apart from a shite story by the looks of things.

MrLPG

Dec 29, 2017
for the "11hours long" thing...yeah no, this is longer if you play it "normally" which means doing some things here and there...

11hours is maybe the crucial story part rushed but i am at 13hrs playtime now and i think i am at the half way point now (hard difficulty).

when you see it this way, many open world games are only 10 hrs long if you ignore everything there is and just do the story missions

Nah, I didn't rush it at all. Got all three "factions" to level 9 (5 is the minimum to progress the story), unlocked all Arks, got around 50-60%% of the achievements. I've played it on normal though, hard possibly makes a difference and requires longer playtime. Still - I wasn't anywhere near 100% of completion, so if you want to max it - you can easily play this for 30-40 hours for sure.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Quite literally nothing about this game is any way reminiscent of Days Gone. Apart from a shite story by the looks of things.

I didn't compare Rage 2 to Days Gone directly. I compared Rage 2 to Mad Max which some compared to Days Gone as far as the world and mechanics and some here are comparing Mad Max to Rage 2.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Also dg is not nearly like mad max as people say it is. The vehicular combat is minimal in dg where it was a centerpiece of mad max, and dg's campaign is far far longer and more involved. People were reaching for a point of comparison at dg's release, one that ultimately doesn't hold up imo. It may be more fitting for rage 2's world and activities, though. Still, a bit of caution about comparisons here.

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
Also dg is not nearly like mad max as people say it is. The vehicular combat is minimal in dg where it was a centerpiece of mad max, and dg's campaign is far far longer and more involved. People were reaching for a point of comparison at dg's release, one that ultimately doesn't hold up imo. It may be more fitting for rage 2's world and activities, though. Still, a bit of caution about comparisons here.

Days Gone is similar to Mad Max in regards to acquiring scrap, repairing/refueling your bike/car and the activities like bandit camps/outposts, etc. Campaign wise though, definitely not.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Nah, I didn't rush it at all. Got all three "factions" to level 9 (5 is the minimum to progress the story), unlocked all Arks, got around 50-60%% of the achievements. I've played it on normal though, hard possibly makes a difference and requires longer playtime. Still - I wasn't anywhere near 100% of completion, so if you want to max it - you can easily play this for 30-40 hours for sure.

hmm, now that you say it, maybe the playtime is counted when the console is in rest mode? thinking about it, i haven´t played this game for 14 hours like it says... yesterday was around 5 hours max and today 3. i am now at the point where the following quests for the contacts lead you to the areas you haven´t been (in the north and the south). if the stuff that comes now can be done in 3 hours i would also be at 11 hours total

So what the normal recommendation for a starting the game?should it be started on hard, not nornal?

hard is like normal in this game...if you want a challenge play on nightmare

Last edited:

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018

And you're playing it on a console? With a controller? It means on a computer with mouse and keyboard is gonna be like god mode is activated. The marketing videos always looked extremely overpowered and zero challenge, but i was hoping it was just for show. I guess not

Oct 26, 2017
What's the health system in this game ? usable medkits, health regen?

And how is the difficulty? It's hard to grasp a feel for it in videos as most of them are on god mode or in the easiest difficulty.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
And you're playing it on a console? With a controller? It means on a computer with mouse and keyboard is gonna be like god mode is activated. The marketing videos always looked extremely overpowered and zero challenge, but i was hoping it was just for show. I guess not

yes, PS4Pro, hard mode feels like a normal mode and nightmare feels like hard-but it is still a pretty low challenge because the player character is overpowered in this game, all the skills and the weapons can be upgraded. the skills alone are really strong, dashing around, jumping and smashing enemies away, a barrier...

And how is the difficulty? It's hard to grasp a feel for it in videos as most of them are on god mode or in the easiest difficulty.

usable medikits that can be bought and crafted and blue particles which come out of the enemies can heal you (this can be skilled to heal you more). there are also blue engines lying around which drop the particles, this can be used in fights to heal you. also, when you die there is a quick time event which resurrects you with 10-25%, can be done every 4minutes.

as i said, hard mode is like normal, normal should be pretty easy and easy is probably completely faceroll mode. i am playing on nightmare now, game was too easy on hard.

Jan 11, 2018
So the game's map leaked a while back, it honestly seems pretty small. Probably ranks as one of the smallest of this gen as far as open world games go but I don't mind. The fact that each biome seems radically different from the other should keep things fresh, just like Just Cause 2.

zq76fe4b7gw21.png

This is a positive for me. I'll take a handful of really well done areas rather than a massive world with vast expanses of nothingness any day.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware

The health system, imho, is OP. You can get health from a substance that's found pretty much everywhere. Enemies also drop the drop. That's on top of the health kits you pick up.

Difficulty-wise, Normal was too easy.

ApexNorth

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks!! How did you find the quality of the side quests? Fun/interesting or mostly fetch questy?

I am concentrating mostly on exploring and main missions at the moment but all of the side missions I've done are just go here and kill X person.

How is vehicle handling???

The way I would describe it is stiff. The camera is my main concern, it will sometimes tilt at odd angles making me feel slightly sick.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware

Straiffi

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone confirm whether or not the PC version has controller support? The Steam page doesn't mention anything about it.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
I suddenly feel like taking a trip to New Zealand tomorrow afternoon.

Won't be there long mind you.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
hmm, now that you say it, maybe the playtime is counted when the console is in rest mode? thinking about it, i haven´t played this game for 14 hours like it says... yesterday was around 5 hours max and today 3. i am now at the point where the following quests for the contacts lead you to the areas you haven´t been (in the north and the south). if the stuff that comes now can be done in 3 hours i would also be at 11 hours total

Good to know, thanks. I want to still feel like a super hero plowing through guys but I don't want it to feel too hard. Looks like Nightmare is how I'm going to start it.

Grumbul

Oct 28, 2017
Would anyone with the game be able to comment on the OverDrive on-screen effect overlay?
Is is possible to disable it?

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
This is a positive for me. I'll take a handful of really well done areas rather than a massive world with vast expanses of nothingness any day.

Dunno why everyone keeps saying the map is small and using this pic as reference - there is no scale... the map is obviously not that small, otherwise vehicles wouldnt get that much focus.

Jan 11, 2018
it looks smaller than it really is, this is still a big map with vast expanses of nothingness ;-)

Dunno why everyone keeps saying the map is small and using this pic as reference - there is no scale... the map is obviously not that small, otherwise vehicles wouldnt get that much focus.

Yeah, you're probably right. I guess I was just projecting my own personal hopes. I actually really enjoyed the size and structure of the first game and was hoping it wouldn't be too far off of that.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
shadowhaxor Thank you for answering questions! I guess the only thing I'm curious about is the vehicles and how similar they are, overall, to the ones in Mad Max

Mad Max is a favorite of mine when it comes to the weight of the cars and how they break/explode

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
shadowhaxor Thank you for answering questions! I guess the only thing I'm curious about is the vehicles and how similar they are, overall, to the ones in Mad Max

Mad Max is a favorite of mine when it comes to the weight of the cars and how they break/explode

There's a ton of different vehicles. Cars, cycles, and different variants of them. Some with guns, some without, and they all damage really well.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
any impressions for us lowly base console owners other than 30 frames?

30 frames locked?