• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
segment02sjyj.gif

segment1dkjio.gif

final1v2hjkrt.png

segment913ks4.gif

segment10qzjom.png

segment11nbktv.gif

segment12ohjb6.png

segment13w5kt3.gif

segment14ucj6b.png

segment15jyk0v.gif

segment1667jez.png

segment17mgj0e.gif

final2zrksf.png

final3ezjpe.png

final489j9v.png

final5gwkra.png

final6v31gknr.png

segmenttlak9l.png

playthrough6ljtr.png

postlaunchk9jx9.png

segment79lmj6p.png

mediabnk60.png

segment74dsjfm.png

Last edited:

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
My goodness this OT is absolutely majestic - one of the greatest I've ever seen. Shout out to that title! I hope it's wonderful, I'm jumping in!

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
Excellent OT, 'grats!

I'm already sold on the gameplay, tone and aesthetic of the game. I'm now hoping for the best when it comes to performance on consoles (PS4 Pro for me).

Any idea regarding the length of the game?

Pitchfork

Oct 28, 2017
England
Great OT!

Have held off pre ordering this game so far, but everything I've seen looks right up my street so pretty sure I'll be grabbing it on Tuesday

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in awe at that OT. Great job!

Looking forward to this game more than I was before since I actually learned a bit more because of this thread.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
So the game's map leaked a while back, it honestly seems pretty small. Probably ranks as one of the smallest of this gen as far as open world games go but I don't mind. The fact that each biome seems radically different from the other should keep things fresh, just like Just Cause 2.

zq76fe4b7gw21.png

Also first impressions from a guy who's 6 hours in, took this from Reddit

Scored a copy early. I'm about 5-6 hours into the game on PS4 Pro in the US. Game received update 1.02 today which has improved overall performance.

Overall the game is fun. Combat is basically Doom 2016 combined with what Avalanche did with Mad Max. Doom definitely has the upper hand due to more iconic enemies and vistas but R2 has a great upgrade loop similar to Crackdown. However, R2 sadly does not deliver on its color palette used heavily in its marketing. Lots of tan, orange and purple that does not pop like advertised.

FPS combat improves once you've discovered a few Arks granting Ranger powers and weapons. There is a ton to do on the map. On top of that, there is a shitload of upgrades and enhancements for your Ranger and vehicles that you can customize as you progress. Even better, it looks as if most of the map is open from the start.

Visually it looks best during the 3rd person vehicle segments. Vehicles handle what you'd expect from a bulky post-apocalyptic car, but draw distance and random encounters combine for great visuals while driving across the map.

Overall I'd say the game is an 8. Biggest draw-backs being uninspired characters, narrative and performance issues(which might be fixed by launch.) On the plus side, combat is a blast once you've got multiple Ranger abilities and an upgrade vehicle.

Heavily recommended for fans of Doom 2016. It takes a few hours to become frenetic, but the few hours of upgrading is worth it. I think this is the best thing Avalanche has produced since JC2. Especially as an open world game with combat from Doom 2016.

My goodness this OT is absolutely majestic - one of the greatest I've ever seen. Shout out to that title! I hope it's wonderful, I'm jumping in!
This is quite possibly the best looking OT I've ever seen. Great job, Vestan!
I'm in awe at that OT. Great job!

Looking forward to this game more than I was before since I actually learned a bit more because of this thread.
Great OT. Lack of HDR for such a vivid game is puzzling.
This OT is amazing. Thought this was multiplayer though.
Kudos for the great OT. I hope the game lives up to it.
Thank you, folks

Excellent OT, 'grats!

I'm already sold on the gameplay, tone and aesthetic of the game. I'm now hoping for the best when it comes to performance on consoles (PS4 Pro for me).

Any idea regarding the length of the game?
No idea on length, but apparently the PS4 Pro version may have performance issues pre-patch. Also console versions have an FOV slider.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Good golly what an amazing OT. Fine work vestan!

Still eagerly awaiting reviews from someone I trust, like ACG, and my decision will be made. I really hope this is as good as it looks.

deejay

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great OT! Wonder if the game will be worth it. Not sure if I should pre-order or not...

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing OT! My most anticipated game for the year. I hope it's as good as I've thought it looked in the trailers.

rare

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing OT.
Super excited for the game, got my preorder for the deluxe edition secured and a vpn waiting to activate the game early

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Holy shit. Fantastic OP. Very impressed.

Pretty excited for this. Need something new to play before New Destiny 2 content and raid on June 4th. This will definitely hold me over.

Sleeper hit/ most underrated AAA game of 2019 right here. Looks like a lot of love went into this

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
This is an OUTSTANDING OT for what looks like a badass game. I can't bloody wait!

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Really nice OT.

Hoping this turns out good. Everything I've seen from the gameplay looks like it'll be great, just hoping the open world aspect doesn't add lots of downtime. It having a smaller map sounds like a positive to me if they make good use of the space.

Crossing my fingers for a good PC version as well but it should be fine with id involved.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Kinda par for the course with Avalanche really. Their 'stories' are really just an excuse to mess around in the open-world which is what I'm in it for.
Not my cup of tea unfortunately. The game looks great but i just find it hard to be invested if I don't care about the characters or why they are doing what they are doing.

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
Indeed a great OT. Still worried on the driving and Story though. With a map that small, there really is no excuse for a weak one.

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Not my cup of tea unfortunately. The game looks great but i just find it hard to be invested if I don't care about the characters or why they are doing what they are doing.
Yeah, I get that. It looks to be great, mindless fun though after replaying something as story-heavy as Red Dead Redemption.

No, unfortunately. Might be something they'll patch in at a later date, though.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll be interested to see if the X version will have any better shadows, textures, LOD, etc since it's not going to have a higher resolution. Image quality didn't look all that great using the Live on Playstation app where I was able to find a few captures of the game.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
looks great, have a feeling this will sate me until DOOM Eternal

funny enough i just started New Dawn, which i'm sure is a completely different type of game in its entirety, but i dunno if i want to pull the trigger just yet. kinda not feeling ND so i may do it anyway

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
have it on preorder on steam, hopefully the gunplay and driving really is as good as the first impressions claim.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood

Any news on Pro Vs X?

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
You can't download the day 1 patch on Xbox at the moment. The update always fails. You need to start the game offline to be able to play.

Hopefully the patch fixes the performance on X because there is very noticeable stutter. PS4 already has the patch and friends told me that the game is very smooth on the Pro.