• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dan L

Tried to PM someone for a tag
Oct 28, 2017
Regina, Saskatchewan
The menus are so laggy, 2700x, 2080ti, 16gb 3200cl14 and switching tabs is so painful. I don't understand. Hopefully this is something that can patch to improve. Speaking of that has there been any talk of patches for this game, I would love for them to increase the target size for picking up crafting mats it is frustrating when playing with a controller.

warcrow

Oct 30, 2017
More thougts...

It's slow to start--I think they should've made the 4 primary abilities more accessible earlier in the game--but once you get all 4, and begin leveling them up the game really begins to shine. My combo tends to be racing into an area, eject, squeeze LT and take out a few guys floating, then Slam into baddies below, dash out, Shatter, and then throw a Vortex out there and then juggle whomever is caught up in it and POP! SO FUN!

I do wish there was more of an incentive to collect the various cars, but I just feel like sticking with the Phoenix, and making the convoys sort of unapproachable so early in the game isnt great. Like in Mad Max, throw some helpful markers in the map, tell me their rating and perhaps rewards for taking them. It feels like a missed opportunity.

Also, it's a nice change of pace from Sekiro and Day's Gone.

I was messing around and found you can grab the Charged Pulse Canon fairly early into the game. There are few series of events you need to accomplish, so I threw together a quick guide if anyone is interested. Really helpful for larger/boss foes:

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really enjoying the game even while acknowledging the flaws.

Visually the game is a bit of a mess; sometimes it looks fantastic but often it looks rough, with copious flickering, plenty of pop-in and some incredibly muddy textures. This is especially jarring given that I play everything on the X and Pro and most games look great downsampled.

Still, overall it's not bad but coming off something like MK11 or Days Gone to this is a bit rough.

The story is completely throwaway but I don't play games for story so for me the narrative is incidental.

The driving is solid and I like the role vehicles play in this game, giving you tactical options before taking to the battle on foot. The comparisons to Mad Max in this regard are apt and, in my opinion, complimentary given that I really enjoyed MM.

The shooting is where this game really excels however, with id's thumbprint very apparent on the look and feel of the proceedings. Guns have a nice, weighty feel, the feedback is solid and the look and tactility of the bullets as they rend flesh and pop skulls is very reminiscent of Doom and Wolfenstein. The Nano-moves are a nice addition; nothing radically innovative but implemented well enough to augment the action and keep things from stagnating.

Like Far Cry: New Dawn, this is a game about disruption; going around to different outposts, killing people, liberating sections of the map, etc. I love that format but it's tried and true and while this game is very good on many fronts, I can understand why some people wouldn't be all that invested in this particular apocalypse.

That said, it's right up my alley and anyone who is invested more in core mechanics than a tight narrative or cohesive experience will probably get a lot out of this, especially if you're a fan of id shooters.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
When you're near one, a WiFi strength style meter appears at the top center of the HUD.
Thanks, looks like I had to restart my game for character upgrades to actually work.

For a single-player shooter, Rage 2 (PC) seems to have a lot of small, annoying bugs I normally find in RPGs (dialogue not playing, upgrades not taking, gun stops firing until I'm shot at, frozen enemies etc).

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Ok after playing a lot of this game I'm starting to think that reviewers are starting to be too harsh on games lately. Darksiders 3 got bad reviews and yet I and a lot of people on this forum had a blast. Same with rage 2. It's an incredibly fun game with an open world where shit is popping off all over the place and yet reviewers said it was an empty world Ect.

Anyone else feel this way?

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Did my first convoy today, and yeah, I'm surprised how underwhelming the car combat is compared to Mad Max. Some of that is speed (likely a reflection of the smaller map), but you also just have less options. There's also a let less of it when you're just driving around. I've only been shot at once by someone riding around in a bike. I feel that they could have added some more hostiles in vehicles roaming around.

Like I said earlier, I'm hoping they flesh the car combat out in a future DLC. It's not bad , it's just not overly interesting. Especially compared to the super fun on foot stuff.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Super fun so far but I feel like I waste a lot of time completing outposts and sentry turret sites by trying to find all those supply caches that are annoyingly well hidden sometimes. I wish Focus would reveal them.
There's a project that let you track them, it's just "signal strength" thing that shows distance, but it helps, a ton.
I tried to find all caches and stuff in a couple of locations without it (well, them, it's more than one project) and it was an exercise in frustration.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Rage 2 has me somehow even more hyped for Cyberpunk. Just the neon, raider/punk looking characters... every once and a while I'll be running around in some dark, neon soaked hallway and I think "holy shit I can't wait for Cyberpunk".

I hope that whatever DLC they come out with really leans on the crazy side of the game. I want even more insanity with weapons, powers and enemies. If so I'll be there day one.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really enjoying the game.

But my god is the driving awful. There are so many issues with it that really should have been addressed:

The camera will randomly twitch out of place and back into place. This is the biggest no no of any driving/racing game.

The physics on some vehicles are just ridiculously bad. I found a motor cycle and it may be the worst motor cycle physics I've ever played.

In general, you can just feel the physics breaking underneath you as you drive. You'll be turning, and there is a blatant jump between velocities back and forth between areas you hold the stick.

It is crazy how great the rest of the game game feels, but the driving is so awful. And driving is literally half of the game!

I think even just cause 4 had better driving physics than this.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm quite liking the game so far, but I'm the kind of gamer who's perfectly content with systematically taking over various areas on a map. It helps that the gunplay feels really nice.

But man, the menu is just the absolute pits. I have no idea how it made it to release. I half-think the game is going to crash whenever I go in there. I have no idea why it hangs and becomes unresponsive or only partially updates for a few seconds, the assets aren't complex in the slightest. Really hope they can smooth it out, or trash it and re-think.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
This game is growing on me more than I thought it would. I find myself, at the end of my play sessions, wanting to continue longer. Last few night I've went to bed a bit later than I planned on.

It's strange, because there's not much that stands out about this game, but the shooting and movement are nice, abilities are neat and there's just enough packed into the map to go "oh, that's just over there, I should go check it out..."

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't run across any. I'm hoping they give them out for some of those challenges they're gonna do. But they could also be some crap they'll try to sell at some point.
Seems like it, there are places to select skins, but I don't know the quantity or method to obtain them.
There is a store in the menu that sells them, and I think there may be rewards for tiered purchases. I couldn't find any info on in-game skins though.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
The upgrade system in this game is so convoluted - there's like 200 different currencies, there's ranks and levels and perks, there's reputations and money and this and that. and car parts, and weapon parts and shit the traders sell and shit you sell to the traders.

And almost none of it is really 'tangible' - it's all just rewards you get without picking anything up.

I mean, you do constantly get to upgrade shit, but at the same time, i constantly have to check one of my FIFTY DIFFERENT UPGRADE TREES (or perk trees, rather) only to realize that i lack the specific upgrade currency for that kind of upgrade.

Enjoying the game - per se - but the upgrade system is whack.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Am playing on hard. It's indeed a bit hard at the beginning. But very quickly your powers catch up to the AI, once you get in the rythm of it all.

I'm thinking of switching difficulty to Nightmare today.

nightmare is also a walk in the park, felt no difference to hard

Ok after playing a lot of this game I'm starting to think that reviewers are starting to be too harsh on games lately. Darksiders 3 got bad reviews and yet I and a lot of people on this forum had a blast. Same with rage 2. It's an incredibly fun game with an open world where shit is popping off all over the place and yet reviewers said it was an empty world Ect.

Anyone else feel this way?

not at all, this game is 7/10 at best, even if someone likes it. i also gave it a 7/10 and that was generous, could also be a 6/10 which also many reviewers gave. if anything the last reviews were all realistic, when people like the games it is fine but they all have multiple flaws that drag them down. Darksiders 3, Days Gone and Rage 2 easily deserve their scores. hell, TD2 for example got much better scores that it deserved, after the scores were already out the whole gear problems came to light and they changed everything every 14days, it was annoying.

Rage 2 is a repetitive copy and paste-a-thon in an empty world were action only takes place in set places and never lasts longer than 5 minutes at a time, after that it is back to driving around. the story is also absolutely weak and before the game really begins it is already over, after that it is aimlessly doing checklist tasks on the map. not exactly great and the game has even more flaws.(graphics/IQ, jumbled progression, feeling unfinished because too short story, boring activities beside the outposts)

it shows that good shooting alone is not everything but it also shows that not every game needs to be 9/10 to find an audience that likes it.

Last edited:

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
After spending sometime with it, this did not need to be open world. I'd appreciate much more crafted experience non linear level design akin to Doom, Dishonored, or lesser extent Halo-ish open environment with slightly more interesting AI though it works for the most part.

When the game clicks, it clicks. But the second I realize I have to drive the next checkpoint/icon on the map...ugh.

EDIT: Agree with the post above me and man, they need to add some options for gamma/brightness and some other options to deal with this IQ -- so damn blurry even on PC. Using FXAA is tolerable but eh.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Pop-ups for completion and things pausing the game is a bit annoying. I like it when devs work this stuff into the HUD.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Pop-ups for completion and things pausing the game is a bit annoying. I like it when devs work this stuff into the HUD.

was the thing that annoyed me the most, these constant pop ups stopping the game are really bad and break the flow of the game often.

I get a huge nostalgia kick from the menus.

The absurd lag reminds me of browsing Windows Explorer on my first Windows 95 PC.

lol, i thought the menu was like from a 90s DOS game, only in better resolution this time

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado USA
I'm loving the game. Playing on PS4 Pro and it's pretty smooth outside of one hard crash and a number audio glitches. I really wish they would add a flashlight or a brightness/gamma slider and make it easier to break boxes and pick up items.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
More than once, I had the final enemy in a location get "lost", either drop down in a crevasse I couldn't get to, or just unable to find, even though according to the radar, I'm right on top of him.

Fell down and died after looking for one last but lost enemy, when I cam back, all the enemies had respawned, but my ammo had not!

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
I'm genuinely surprised to see the overall positive impressions here, coming from a 68 Metacritic on the PS4 version. Are most of you playing on PC?

OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Looks like I've been able to play this a bit earlier than expected after all! I'm 30 minutes in and just cleared the first outpost and got shatter. Really enjoying my time so far and ultrawide support is solid but I wish you could increase the vehicle FOV. Shit feels really claustrophobic. Vehicle camera in general feels really fucking bad with it trying to auto-focus if you even attempt to move it.

Gunplay is mint tho, the headshot sound effect is too good

rage2screenshot2019.07lkgx.png

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Some of these missions are really fun, and they're a decent length too. The reports about only a few minutes of shooting here and there feels like pretty harsh hyperbole.

I also don't have any issue with the driving, playing on kb&m fully now, too (was switching to pad for driving before).

I'm genuinely surprised to see the overall positive impressions here, coming from a 68 Metacritic on the PS4 version. Are most of you playing on PC?

The game is flawed, but its core is very fun. I'm on PC, aside from a few niggles with bindings and the laggy/unintuitive UI, actually playing the game feels great.

Oh, and as above, when you complete an activity or get a reward sometimes it pauses the game with a pop up instead of letting the HUD show you. Which is a bit annoying.

Jan 11, 2019
So my overdrive doesn't seem to be charging... Ever. Is this a bug or am I doing anything wrong? I've never been able to use it during almost 10hours of gameplay...

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017

Xbox One. I really enjoyed the combat and setting of Rage 1, and the sequels firefights and newer powers are a lot of fun. The dune buggy from the first game wasn't very good and I think the open world/vehicles are an improvement from driving through the same narrow valleys with the same respawning enemies. The plot is a hot mess and honestly could've been better if they had leaned much more into being goofier so far. The plot in the first wasn't great either.

As someone who really enjoyed Rage, Rage 2 has more combat options and more to do between cities, even if it has some of the same flaws as the original (along with a couple new ones).

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
Glad I passed on this at launch. Seems like there's a good game there among the dumb bugs, design issues and so on. Hopefully they'll fix that during the next few weeks.

Feb 8, 2018
I'm really enjoying the game.

But my god is the driving awful. There are so many issues with it that really should have been addressed:

The camera will randomly twitch out of place and back into place. This is the biggest no no of any driving/racing game.

The physics on some vehicles are just ridiculously bad. I found a motor cycle and it may be the worst motor cycle physics I've ever played.

In general, you can just feel the physics breaking underneath you as you drive. You'll be turning, and there is a blatant jump between velocities back and forth between areas you hold the stick.

It is crazy how great the rest of the game game feels, but the driving is so awful. And driving is literally half of the game!

I think even just cause 4 had better driving physics than this.
Wait, I 'm aware this is no racing game and I'd mostly play it for the First Person shooter aspect of course but it is a driving game just like GTA,Just cause, Watch Dogs Etc. Based on the devs I'd have estimated that the driving physics are better than you claim.

Last edited: