• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
Started off slow for me — a bit like the first RAGE, actually — but completing some of the Arks and getting more abilities has greatly opened up the combat, so I'm enjoying it a lot more.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
There's a reason the GTA games are known for their radio stations, because driving from place to place in silence is boring as fuck and there is so much of it in this game.

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing last night (PC) near the second outpost I had found (or whatever they're referred to as here) the sound cut out for one second and then let out the loudest BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT i've ever heard in the history of my existence.

fixed by closing the game but sheesh. woke the block up with that one.

Oct 27, 2017
Alameda, CA
Put about 2 hours in on my PS4 Pro last night and really enjoying it so far. Yeah I could do with a little less driving, the menus could be more responsive, and the upgrades condensed a bit, but the actual combat is a lot of fun. Otherwise this is video game comfort food.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Would I really be missing much of anything if I just put a podcast on and play this game? Doesn't seem like the story is the greatest
Nope. Mad Max is one of the best "podcast games" of the last few years and this game would benefit from having something to listen to while driving around all just the same.

At worst in Mad Max, you would miss some lines from Chumbucket. But RAGE 2 doesn't even have a Chumbucket, it's mostly just silence.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Nope. Mad Max is one of the best "podcast games" of the last few years and this game would benefit from having something to listen to while driving around all just the same.

At worst in Mad Max, you would miss some lines from Chumbucket. But RAGE 2 doesn't even have a Chumbucket, it's mostly just silence.
What system are you playing on?

And I've read a few lighter complaints from you, but are you overall enjoying the game?

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Great... Looks like I'm having a gamebreaking bug. Accidentally glitched into a building and skipped some parts of the objectives of the story mission. Went ahead and did the last part of the mission. Now I can't leave the building, everytime I try to do it, the game tells me to do the stuff I've already done. I hope I have a savegame in the cloud...

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
What system are you playing on?

And I've read a few lighter complaints from you, but are you overall enjoying the game?
PC.

The lighter complaints are just shared from Mad Max (and partly RAGE 1), but I am enjoying the gunplay to a great degree and combat is significantly more frequent than RAGE 1, so I am actually having a great time.

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
So, what's the general consensus for PS4 Pro? Good gunplay, but blurry graphics, sluggish menu's, empty boring world and repetitive things to do?

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
So, what's the general consensus for PS4 Pro? Good gunplay, but blurry graphics, sluggish menu's, empty boring world and repetitive things to do?

That seems to be the consensus on PC too. No matter what resolution people run it at the image quality and textures are still pretty bad. I would also add that repetitive things to do is pretty normal this day and age in all open world games but what helps in this game is the shooting is quite fun, so doing the 'repetitive missions' isn't as bad as it sounds.

Last edited:

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
That seems to be the consensus on PC too. No matter what resolution people run it at the image quality and textures is still pretty bad. I would also add that repetitive things to do is pretty normal this day and age in all open world games but what helps in this game is the shooting is quite fun, so doing the 'repetitive missions' isn't as bad as it sounds.

Thanks for the reply.
I really want to buy it because it seems loads of fun, but my (first world) problem is this: a huge backlog and June is packed with games for me (MotoGP19, Crash Team Racing and F1 2019).
Currently I'm trying to finish Days Gone, AC Fate of Atlantis and DMC V, ideally before June.
So buying Rage 2 will kinda mess up my planning lol

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
All of these apply to all versions, except the empty boring world. While it's not filled with tons of emergent randomness like Red Dead 2 is, there's lots going on. It's kinda like Far Cry. Random fights between all kinds of enemies all over. It's not as empty as I expected it to be when I was first reading reviews.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Thanks for the reply.
I really want to buy it because it seems loads of fun, but my (first world) problem is this: a huge backlog and June is packed with games for me (MotoGP19, Crash Team Racing and F1 2019).
Currently I'm trying to finish Days Gone, AC Fate of Atlantis and DMC V, ideally before June.

You could just wait on Rage 2 until later when you have more time and the price is lower.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
So I was exploring a ?, it was a building with an auto vendor. It had a humming sound, quite loud. I looked out a crack in a wall and saw a drone watching me. I moved close and it said "sentient life form approaches" and it took off. It circled the building then flew away.

Tried shooting it, nothing seemed to happen. Maybe waited too long to start firing...

Also how do ? map markers work? I just stopped in an area where there were 2, completed both and another appeared. Do they just unlock when you moved through their local area?

Jan 11, 2019
So I started a new save after 10h of playtime and suddenly overdrive is working... Just gotta get that shotgun back and I'm almost glad to do it all over again. After playing videogames for 20years, a solid ass shooter still does it for me, heh...

La Fawn Duh

Apr 3, 2018
So would you guys recommend to play with a controller on PC because of the bad driving controlls? Downloading it right now..

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
So I was exploring a ?, it was a building with an auto vendor. It had a humming sound, quite loud. I looked out a crack in a wall and saw a drone watching me. I moved close and it said "sentient life form approaches" and it took off. It circled the building then flew away.

Tried shooting it, nothing seemed to happen. Maybe waited too long to start firing...
You can shoot them, just takes like a quick burst from the AR or a single shotgun shot to destroy them before they fly away, but you only get a tiny tiny little bit of XP and I don't know what else it accomplishes by destroying them.

They can be tracked by the WiFi signal strength upgrade thing, so I guess they're somewhat important.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Thanks for the reply.

Dude I feel your pain. I should have waited on Rage 2 but I can't help myself from buying games. I just finished DMC 1/2/3 and DmC and still have DMC 5 sealed, on top of RDR2, Days Gone, RE2 and Sekiro lol. Also last week at Gamestop I couldnt help but pick up Kingdom Hearts the Story so far and then on amazon I saw KH3 on sale for $30 so I nabbed it. I keep going back to older games to try and platinum them because of my OCD. I really need help.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States

Also how do ? map markers work? I just stopped in an area where there were 2, completed both and another appeared. Do they just unlock when you moved through their local area?
I've only had the ? markers show up when I get close to them. And I haven't had one be hostile yet. They all seem to be points of interest, shops etc. Also, I've also seen those drones. They have a blue light that goes to red. I haven't been able to shoot one yet, they are too fast.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny to see people complain about this game's open world being like Mad Max when that's part of the reason I like it so much.

Xam3l

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Man this is a weird one. The gameplay is solid, everything else trash tier IMO. I'm having a hard time enjoying this game. Mostly because of its obnoxious presentation and fugly visuals. With all these colors and punk-aesthetics the game deserves better. I'm playing on a PS4 Slim tho.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised people are surprised.

id's shooting mechanics are, generally speaking, among the best out there.

I don't think any other id single weapon is that standout, even if I love the shooting in general.

I might be in the minority here.

You can shoot them, just takes like a quick burst from the AR or a single shotgun shot to destroy them before they fly away, but you only get a tiny tiny little bit of XP and I don't know what else it accomplishes by destroying them.

They can be tracked by the WiFi signal strength upgrade thing, so I guess they're somewhat important.
I've only had the ? markers show up when I get close to them. And I haven't had one be hostile yet. They all seem to be points of interest, shops etc. Also, I've also seen those drones. They have a blue light that goes to red. I haven't been able to shoot one yet, they are too fast.

I'll keep a look out then, can't seem to find any info via Google...

Having more fun exploring than I thought I would.

Last edited:

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Anyway to get the Settler's Pistol that was in RAGE1 if you didn't preorder? ...or really, just the preorder bonuses in general?

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

clear things and more ? pop up, that was my experience....in the upper north area there is not much to do at first but when you do the things there are more ? popping up which lead to more things to do etc which lead to more ? and so on

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
CDKeys has the US PC version of the game for only $39 right now. I went ahead and grabbed it. I'll check it out this evening.

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Is the first bandit camp near the ramp supposed to slaughter me at the beginning of the game. I went their and get absolutely destroyed by the enemies. Not sure if i am just playing wrong.

FerryF1

Feb 18, 2018
Dude I feel your pain. I should have waited on Rage 2 but I can't help myself from buying games. I just finished DMC 1/2/3 and DmC and still have DMC 5 sealed, on top of RDR2, Days Gone, RE2 and Sekiro lol. Also last week at Gamestop I couldnt help but pick up Kingdom Hearts the Story so far and then on amazon I saw KH3 on sale for $30 so I nabbed it. I keep going back to older games to try and platinum them because of my OCD. I really need help.

I'm EXACTLY like you, can't help myself from buying new games. I love to go to the game store on launch day/week to buy the new ones!

And I also go back to older games to wrap up trophies and earn the platinum lol.
Lately I have been trying to get past that platinum itch, and it worked with a few games at that time, but whenever I scroll through my trophy list nowadays, it itches again....
On top of the 3 games I mentioned I want to finish before June, I'm also trying to FINALLY finish around 10 or 12 other games.....

Sounds like we do need some help

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Man this is a weird one. The gameplay is solid, everything else trash tier IMO. I'm having a hard time enjoying this game. Mostly because of its obnoxious presentation and fugly visuals. With all these colors and punk-aesthetics the game deserves better. I'm playing on a PS4 Slim tho.

you are describing exactly what i have experienced with the game but i played it on the Pro. the game didn´t come together for me.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I'm EXACTLY like you, can't help myself from buying new games. I love to go to the game store on launch day/week to buy the new ones!

And I also go back to older games to wrap up trophies and earn the platinum lol.
Lately I have been trying to get past that platinum itch, and it worked with a few games at that time, but whenever I scroll through my trophy list nowadays, it itches again....
On top of the 3 games I mentioned I want to finish before June, I'm also trying to FINALLY finish around 10 or 12 other games.....

Sounds like we do need some help

The only games I don't try and platinum are the ones that have MP trophies like Tomb Raider definitive. Fuck that shit. Just finished Crash trilogy and Spyro Trilogy platinum now working on Mad Max :D

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Re-loaded and killed the drone, voice over says it;s Authority tech and we should just shoot them on site pretty much. Event log is data about the data logging stuff in the world. I'm not sure if they have any significance beyond world building.

clear things and more ? pop up, that was my experience....in the upper north area there is not much to do at first but when you do the things there are more ? popping up which lead to more things to do etc which lead to more ? and so on
I'm actually enjoying this process more than I thought I would.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
So I'm reviewing this game for our website but I can't decide what to give this game after a couple of hours. I gave Days Gone a pass on its technical issues and loadtimes cause the gameplay, and graphics were fun, plus the overall story was great. But Rage 2 just ... is not fun to play. Not because of the gameplay, but because I have a 4K LG TV, and an xbox one x with HDR, and it looks really really bad. The entire game feels fuzzy, with low textures, horrible LOD, and fog. Plus sometimes I feel some generic models are from the PS2 or early PS3 era. I'm trying to enjoy it, but because it looks so bad in the open world parts. The indoor stuff is fine, but everything is else bland. The story is non-existent and feels like an afterthought, which wouldn't be a problem if I actually wanted to enjoy the open world game part of this product.

The thing is the gunplay and the music is great, and makes the encounters fun, but I noticed because of the loss of detail and fuzzyness even the combat scenarios are difficult to follow.

After nearly 4 or 5 hours with the game I feel this should have been delayed for next generation consoles. 60FPS is nice and all but the graphics drag down the entire experience, and it actually ends up looking worse than their Mad Max game.

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm reviewing this game for our website but I can't decide what to give this game after a couple of hours. I gave Days Gone a pass on its technical issues and loadtimes cause the gameplay, and graphics were fun, plus the overall story was great. But Rage 2 just ... is not fun to play. Not because of the gameplay, but because I have a 4K LG TV, and an xbox one x with HDR, and it looks really really bad. The entire game feels fuzzy, with low textures, horrible LOD, and fog. Plus sometimes I feel some generic models are from the PS2 or early PS3 era. I'm trying to enjoy it, but because it looks so bad in the open world parts. The indoor stuff is fine, but everything is else bland. The story is non-existent and feels like an afterthought, which wouldn't be a problem if I actually wanted to enjoy the open world game part of this product.

The thing is the gunplay and the music is great, and makes the encounters fun, but I noticed because of the loss of detail and fuzzyness even the combat scenarios are difficult to follow.

After nearly 4 or 5 hours with the game I feel this should have been delayed for next generation consoles. 60FPS is nice and all but the graphics drag down the entire experience, and it actually ends up looking worse than their Mad Max game.
You want to write a review after a couple of hours?

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018

Surely you should give it more time than just a few hours before writing a review.

I've put 20 hours in and still wouldn't feel qualified to comment fully.

Yes it has some technical issues but on X it runs at 60fps 99% of the time and I'm having a blast.