• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I got a bit tipsy drinking some left over wine and I can't clear this Recharge station because I keep missing things...

Also, I think this game might be awesome. I could be drunk.

WHO KNOWS

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Surely you should give it more time than just a few hours before writing a review.

I've put 20 hours in and still wouldn't feel qualified to comment fully.

Yes it has some technical issues but on X it runs at 60fps 99% of the time and I'm having a blast.
Gonna write the review once i finish the game. The side content is fun, but the graphics for me sour the experience a tiny bit

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I actually really enjoy fighting the more difficult Authority Sentries. Having to shoot the weak spot while taking cover from its fire, running away from its mortar strikes, and jumping over the pulsing rings it shoots out is pretty fun.

The easier ones are pointless wastes of time, though.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Re-loaded and killed the drone, voice over says it;s Authority tech and we should just shoot them on site pretty much. Event log is data about the data logging stuff in the world. I'm not sure if they have any significance beyond world building.

I'm actually enjoying this process more than I thought I would.

It tracks how many drones you've destroyed in the statistics screen. I haven't looked, but is there possibly an Achievement/Trophy for destroying so many?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is bollocks. First of all it's hold and not press so they should get their facts right. Second of change it to auto climb whenever I'm near the ladder
It just says E , it doesn't say hold or press. It should say hold I guess, but there is a progress bar displayed...

It tracks how many drones you've destroyed in the statistics screen. I haven't looked, but is there possibly an Achievement/Trophy for destroying so many?

Yeh, the Doc comments every time you destroy one, so it's probably tracking something.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Well I guess I'm done with the game, I tried the race like thirty times and never even came close to finishing in first, so I can't continue the story.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I wish the game had better music.

The shooting's good, but something like the Mick Gordon Doom soundtrack could really elevate it.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
In my memory, Rage 1 had better graphics than this.
Am I wrong?
For the hell of it, I felt like comparing both games' versions of Wellspring. All shots are 4K resized to 1920x1080. The RAGE 1 shots I took like 6 years ago.

Outside:
8929522250_e69405cea1_o.png

40891860803_ab4898a74f_o.png

Inside:

8929493852_00261066cb_o.png

40891860003_460fe2e5e3_o.png

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Can I just say how much I loathe when there's abilities mapped to keybindings that you can't rebind?

Especially when the default one is so awkward to use.

Can someone tell me how you do the ability that is like a force push? I can't for the life of me remember the keybinding, it required you to push two buttons to do it and I forgot and it's not in the bloody keybindings anywhere.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Can I just say how much I loathe when there's abilities mapped to keybindings that you can't rebind?

Especially when the default one is so awkward to use.

Can someone tell me how you do the ability that is like a force push? I can't for the life of me remember the keybinding, it required you to push two buttons to do it and I forgot and it's not in the bloody keybindings anywhere.
Ctrl+f?

You can map to instant cast: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/05/13/rage-2-keyboard-controls/

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Really wish astro would stop baiting my impulse purchasing trigger finger. It's been hovering since before release, Giant Bomb QL diminished it considerably but then you have to go and keep posting don't you.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Really wish astro would stop baiting my impulse purchasing trigger finger. It's been hovering since before release, Giant Bomb QL diminished it considerably but then you have to go and keep posting don't you.
The Giant Bomb QL was depressing. Jeff gets to the boss, shoots it with 4 rockets, and then says "Maybe we should be playing on Hard"

Ya, no shit. I had to turn it off there, I couldn't watch any more.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's fuuuuuun! :D

I'd be torn if asked to rate it right now... I get a lot of the issues... the UI is laggy, the IQ can be pretty low, the open world can be very sparse, story is dull and NPC delivery is a slog... I could probably list a half dozen more...

The combat is so good, though. And exploration is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Right now I'm doing the main objectives but visiting all the ?s on the way to and from, and they keep leading me to nice stashes of loot or little challenges like "defend tower while it powers up", which is all very standard stuff but it's more excuse to engage with the super fun combat and I'm not getting bored.

The upgrades are all quite interesting and are really driving me forward to explore and earn enough to buy more, and the main abilities you unlock are really fun.

I really thought I would dislike this game based on my 2 hour steam preview yesterday.. now I can't get enough.

Also the GB people seemed disinterested and weren't even using the abilities much, playing on lower difficulty and just kind of sleep walking around.

I don't know....

It's fuuuuun!

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I was drunk playing at 5am and couldn't see the chest in front of me.
lol, I was running in circles trying to find the last /4 chest and then when I saw it I knew I needed a break. I don't want to stop, though...

It's fuuuuuun! :D

I'd be torn if asked to rate it right now... I get a lot of the issues... the UI is laggy, the IQ can be pretty low, the open world can be very sparse, story is dull and NPC delivery is a slog... I could probably list a half dozen more...

The combat is so good, though. And exploration is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Right now I'm doing the main objectives but visiting all the ?s on the way to and from, and they keep leading me to nice stashes of loot or little challenges like "defend tower while it powers up", which is all very standard stuff but it's more excuse to engage with the super fun combat and I'm not getting bored.

The upgrades are all quite interesting and are really driving me forward to explore and earn enough to buy more, and the main abilities you unlock are really fun.

I really thought I would dislike this game based on my 2 hour steam preview yesterday.. now I can't get enough.

Also the GB people seemed disinterested and weren't even using the abilities much, playing on lower difficulty and just kind of sleep walking around.

I don't know....

It's fuuuuun!

Jan 11, 2019

This Game is awesome if you like shooty bang bang stuff AND know you enjoy a slow going wasteland scenery. You gotta enjoy the scenery as breathing room between the shooty bang bang bits.

But there hasn't been shooty bang bang this good since DOOM. oh and there's red barrels everywhere. Oh and the ten million outposts to clear in this game are actually a godsend because the moment to moment head explody boom boom is ace!

Sure, the game has it's weaknesses, but that's why I say, man, gotta appreciate the wasteland! The comparisons to far cry and other formulaic open world games are kinda unfair, because you know that every Icon on the map might be another horde of goons for you to mutilate and murder.

And in-between the moments of carnage, you drive around and enjoy. Also, you won't spend that much time driving if you don't want to.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
I've been addicted to just riding around killing enemy camps and clearing the map. But I love the fact that these cities feel cyberpunk

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
astro and The Curry Witch

Close.. doesn't take much more than an interest to get me to jump so you're doing well.

Only things outstanding are visuals - how bad? I'm on the X and am the guy that would take 4k/30 over 1080/60 so it's disappointing to hear they're lacklustre. Does it persistently stand out past initial load to the detriment of immersion?

Past that - how long is the intro/tutorials?

Have a clear weekend with Monday off so this could be fun to play with. AC:Odyssey is my current home console hook but this has enough of a pace to not conflict I think. That said I'm still enjoying AC, am only 11 hours in and barely dented the map and have zero, zero need for a new game. That's never stopped my backlog growing though.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
It's just solid fun. Uncomplicated fun. Really, really enjoying it so far. The shotgun is god tier.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

Close.. doesn't take much more than an interest to get me to jump so you're doing well.

Only things outstanding are visuals - how bad? I'm on the X and am the guy that would take 4k/30 over 1080/60 so it's disappointing to hear they're lacklustre. Does it persistently stand out past initial load to the detriment of immersion?

Have a clear weekend with Monday off so this could be fun to play with. AC:Odyssey is my current home console hook but this has enough of a pace to not conflict I think.

if the X version is like the Pro the graphics suck, it is really blurry and many things look awful like the texture work. some things have an early last gen look to them. some character models and animations that are on the stiffer side are also not exactly great.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
if the X version is like the Pro the graphics suck, it is really blurry and many things look awful like the texture work. some things have an early last gen look to them. some character models and animations that are on the stiffer side are also not exactly great.
This really is the blocker for me I feel. I'm all down for buying an average game I'll have fun with, which this sounds like, but I do put a lot of stock in visuals and if it's that poor then I can see it potentially nagging at me while I'm trying to enjoy it.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do wish some of the random encounter stuff had any appeal. Like you can find random cars shooting at you but there doesn't seem to be any incentive to engage them if they're not part of a convoy. Unless I'm missing something. Didn't seem to drop any notable loot, and I couldn't figure out a way to say, disable a vehicle and then add it to my collection.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I do wish some of the random encounter stuff had any appeal. Like you can find random cars shooting at you but there doesn't seem to be any incentive to engage them if they're not part of a convoy. Unless I'm missing something. Didn't seem to drop any notable loot, and I couldn't figure out a way to say, disable a vehicle and then add it to my collection.
Mad Max it was at least worth it to destroy them and then pick up their scrap, but in RAGE 2 you just get nothing for the trouble. Just let them drive past.

Jan 11, 2019

Have a clear weekend with Monday off so this could be fun to play with. AC:Odyssey is my current home console hook but this has enough of a pace to not conflict I think. That said I'm still enjoying AC, am only 11 hours in and barely dented the map and have zero, zero need for a new game. That's never stopped my backlog growing though.

I play on the pro and it's smooth and I have no problems with how it looks. The IQ can be a tad blurry but the art direction in this game is still quite nice and makes it shine. The lighting in certain spots can be really pretty.

Also I had to restart my game today and blazed through the intro in 10 minutes or so, skipping all the dialogue. Then I was in the open world. Also, this game is kinda like skyward sword in that it just goes "well here we are then, lad. Here's your gun and here's your car. Here's where you should probably go but whatever."

All being said I knew this game would resonate with me because I'm a wasteland nut and I love shooters. Can't get enough of this stuff. If money is tight, maybe wait or so. The game won't go anywhere and will only get cheaper. I just find that most of it's problems are totally not huge problems for me. I just shotgun everything to death and I'm a happy cutter.

Last edited:

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
This really is the blocker for me I feel. I'm all down for buying an average game I'll have fun with, which this sounds like, but I do put a lot of stock in visuals and if it's that poor then I can see it potentially nagging at me while I'm trying to enjoy it.

I turned off chromatic aberration (on 1X), and honestly I don't find the graphics particularly blurry at all. I also wouldn't personally call the textures awful, but I don't spend much time staring at rocks when I'm more busy trying to gun down convoys or mutants.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The Giant Bomb QL was depressing. Jeff gets to the boss, shoots it with 4 rockets, and then says "Maybe we should be playing on Hard"

Ya, no shit. I had to turn it off there, I couldn't watch any more.
Also that's one of the first bosses in the game (it's from the first or second mission of Dr. Kvasir) and he encountered it after 8 hours of play. No shit he's dead with 4 hits of a powered up RPG. You're kinda not supposed to have that shit when you get there.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Overall I think it looks great. It's soft for sure but in the moment to moment gameplay you aren't gonna notice it. I wouldn't suggest playing on base consoles. But if you're on X/Pro/PC it's perfectly fine. With all the talk about the softness and textures before I got my copy I was a little worried but I've been pleasantly surprised. And as others have said, turn off CA.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not sure if you need it... Odyssey is a good game and this one will discount soon no doubt...

The visuals are a lower point. Even on PC at max at 1440 they're a bit blurry, textures are low and AA is a smear. Overall IQ is kind of low, but I do like the artstyle and general feel of the visuals regardless. It never looks really stunning but it does often look pretty good.

I don't want to nudge you to buy it now... but I do think you should put it on your list. If you feel like you need a new game, and have an FPS shaped hole, this would be a good fit.

I have too many games to play right now anyway, I shouldn't have bought it myself. :p

Last edited:

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Also that's one of the first bosses in the game (it's from the first or second mission of Dr. Kvasir) and he encountered it after 8 hours of play. No shit he's dead with 4 hits of a powered up RPG. You're kinda not supposed to have that shit when you get there.
I did have the RPG by time I got to that boss, but all the rockets I had in my inventory only took down a part of the first section of its health bar. Then I had to disable the weak points on its shoulders with the assault rifle and finished it off with the shotgun.

It wasn't the greatest fight ever or anything, but it was sure as hell more involved than firing a few rockets at it and going "That's it?".

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
My god, the combat in this game is something else. At first, I though you had too many tools at your disposal, but once I figured out a good keybinding, it all flows. This may overtake Doom 2016 as my favorite 'arcade style' FPS.

And I thought I read people are complaining about an 'empty open world.' It feels fine to me. I love driving around finding new camps to give me that FPS goodness.

Love it.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I did have the RPG by time I got to that boss, but all the rockets I had in my inventory only took down a part of the first section of its health bar. Then I had to shoot the weak points on its shoulder with the assault rifle and finished it off with the shotgun.

It wasn't the greatest fight ever or anything, but it was sure as hell more involved than firing a few rockets at it and going "That's it?".
Exactly. It was the same for me. I had the rocket launcher but I didn't power it up yet so I had to finish it with the shotgun. Jeff was just way too overpowered by that point, and kinda did the boss dirty with that in the QL.

Oct 25, 2017
Why cant I see shit inside anywhere? It's so dark. Theres no flashlight. Far as I can tell not even an option to adjust brightness (PS4). How did they ship this

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
I turned off chromatic aberration (on 1X), and honestly I don't find the graphics particularly blurry at all. I also wouldn't personally call the textures awful, but I don't spend much time staring at rocks when I'm more busy trying to gun down convoys or mutants.

i think this game just looks bad even if you are not looking directly at the textures. it has a really blurry and hazy look. one of the baddest looking newer games out there for sure.

and for 2019 the textures are really awful, super low resolution like on these "guacamolito" signs or what it says. in the jungle area there are ground textures which aren´t correctly aligned to each other so they have a fine white line going through them, those textures looked like early last gen.

Why cant I see shit inside anywhere? It's so dark. Theres no flashlight. Far as I can tell not even an option to adjust brightness (PS4). How did they ship this

yeah, no brightness and gamma setting is ridiculous

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
astro honestly having something new I can enjoy casually on the X alongside Odyssey sounds good to me. Loving Kassandra but need a break from her sass every now and again. Plus, best shotgun in a game in awhile? I'm down..

20190515_231151-01-0sfj5s.jpeg

Apparently you can't screenshot the dashboard?

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Thinking of buying this as you can get it pretty cheap but it would be a bethesda launcher code. Is the Bethesda launcher still a piece of shit?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
astro honestly having something new I can enjoy casually on the X alongside Odyssey sounds good to me. Loving Kassandra but need a break from her sass every now and again. Plus, best shotgun in a game in awhile? I'm down..

20190515_231151-01-0sfj5s.jpeg

Apparently you can't screenshot the dashboard?
I honestly don't think you'll regret it. It's a perfect game to pick up and play in-between stuff.

Shotgun is beast! >:D

Thinking of buying this as you can get it pretty cheap but it would be a bethesda launcher code. Is the Bethesda launcher still a piece of shit?

I booted it, it booted the game. That's all I care about, lol.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I honestly don't think you'll regret it. It's a perfect game to pick up and play in-between stuff.

Shotgun is beast! >:D
There's no reality in which I'd regret it, so it's really just a question of how long I play it now. Sounds good and thanks for sharing your views on it. If I've enjoyed Destiny since release, No Man's Sky before even the day-1 patch, The Order:1886 and Anthem at full price then I'm certainly no stranger to liking 'mediocre' games, so getting a sense from people that are enjoying it is always useful. I know I'll have a hoot with this one from yours and others impressions.
The shotgun lives up to the hype, for sure.
🙌