• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
i think this game just looks bad even if you are not looking directly at the textures. it has a really blurry and hazy look. one of the baddest looking newer games out there for sure.

and for 2019 the textures are really awful, super low resolution like on these "guacamolito" signs or what it says. in the jungle area there are ground textures which aren´t correctly aligned to each other so they have a fine white line going through them, those textures looked like early last gen.

I honestly don't find the game to be blurry or particularly hazy. Maybe I'm just not playing enough new releases to notice, but not once have I thought the game looked blurry (motion blur and CA are both turned off, and have been before I started the campaign).

I'm also not looking at ground textures enough to see misaligned ones, or other issues with texturing (or maybe I haven't been where they're so misaligned it's causing a texture break). That's not me saying there isn't a problem, it's just that I guess I don't care about those types of things personally.

That's just me though.

Deleted member 56449

User requested account closure
Banned
May 3, 2019
astro honestly having something new I can enjoy casually on the X alongside Odyssey sounds good to me. Loving Kassandra but need a break from her sass every now and again. Plus, best shotgun in a game in awhile? I'm down..

20190515_231151-01-0sfj5s.jpeg

Apparently you can't screenshot the dashboard?
You'll have a blast I guarantee you. I'm playing on the X too!

Unfortunately you can't screenshot Xbox's dashboard

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For the hell of it, I felt like comparing both games' versions of Wellspring. All shots are 4K resized to 1920x1080. The RAGE 1 shots I took like 6 years ago.

Outside:
8929522250_e69405cea1_o.png

40891860803_ab4898a74f_o.png

Inside:

8929493852_00261066cb_o.png

40891860003_460fe2e5e3_o.png
MegaTextures. iD Engine is a beast of a thing but it was what got the original game in to trouble on launch. You'd turn around and everything was a blurry blob, but when they fixed that fuck me it was gorgeous.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
Nightmare mode in this doesn't seem great. The enemies seem to do good damage to you, but they also seem ludicrously bullet sponge-y. A single shotgun blast to a mutant at close range isn't even a OHK.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I ran towards a rocket launching Goon on top of a shipping container, and she fired off a rocket. I leapt over it using Slam and landed on the container, killing her instantly.

That was some satisfying shit. Took a 15 second clip of it as a momento. It's moments like that where this game shines for me.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
This a great game to play while having something else play in the background
I'm starting to think I need to do this since it would probably make the game more enjoyable. As it is there's a lot of long stretches of silence and after a couple of hours I'm already half paying attention to the writing/story, so throwing on a podcast or something seems like it would be an improvement.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Early impressions. This game feels like a mid-tier AA game from last gen to me. Rage 1 actually felt more like a big AAA experience to me than this does.

That being said, it seems pretty fun so far. I'm definitely excited to play more of it. It's just kinda ugly though. PC version needs some love too in terms of performance optimizations.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
astro honestly having something new I can enjoy casually on the X alongside Odyssey sounds good to me. Loving Kassandra but need a break from her sass every now and again. Plus, best shotgun in a game in awhile? I'm down..
Apparently you can't screenshot the dashboard?

I rented the game last night from RedBox since I was on the fence, and after two hours straight, I popped out the disc and just bought the deluxe edition from the Xbox store. The game has some issues, but ultimately it's just damn fun and I keep wanting to play it over other "better" games in my queue.

rainking187

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking finally did it. Had to win twice because I had the bug where one of your opponents will just warp to the finish line in first place. Now back to the fun stuff.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
i think this game just looks bad even if you are not looking directly at the textures. it has a really blurry and hazy look. one of the baddest looking newer games out there for sure.

and for 2019 the textures are really awful, super low resolution like on these "guacamolito" signs or what it says. in the jungle area there are ground textures which aren´t correctly aligned to each other so they have a fine white line going through them, those textures looked like early last gen.

Your 1-man crusade to deter anyone on the fence in this thread is impressive. Tired, but impressive.

Why is it worth your time to submit post after post in a thread for a game you clearly are disappointed in? Doesn't it annoy you when you're reading through a thread about a game you're enjoying, and there's one person that absolutely hates the game and just keeps posting about it instead of playing something else?

I'm not saying people shouldn't post dissenting opinions in OT's, but once you've done that, why not move on? You've had the game since before release and you're still in here trying to argue that people who are enjoying the game are wrong for doing so.

Personally, I enjoy posting about games I enjoy playing.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Your 1-man crusade to deter anyone on the fence in this thread is impressive. Tired, but impressive.

Why is it worth your time to submit post after post in a thread for a game you clearly are disappointed in? Doesn't it annoy you when you're reading through a thread about a game you're enjoying, and there's one person that absolutely hates the game and just keeps posting about it instead of playing something else?

I'm not saying people shouldn't post dissenting opinions in OT's, but once you've done that, why not move on? You've had the game since before release and you're still in here trying to argue that people who are enjoying the game are wrong for doing so.

Personally, I enjoy posting about games I enjoy playing.

that is the thing, people should more often post their opinions when it is not "wooohooo, awesome!" would give a better whole picture instead of only having opinions that are awesome. everything has two sides, even great games have flaws. i could also point out things that are not exactly awesome in many games that i´ve enjoyed from start to finish-which most people or reviews don´t even do.

in times of hype culture there is only good or bad, not "good, but" or "bad, but there are good aspects" when people were only enjoying posting about things they like the whole purpose of a forum would be gone and frankly, it would be a very boring affair.

also, no, it doesn´t annoy me when people don´t like games i like and post about it, why should it annoy me? if i like something i will like it, regardless what other people are posting.

dismissing critical posts or posts that you don´t like as "1 man crusade" is surely better...

everyone can enjoy their game, i don´t try to argue that people are wrong for enjoying the game but when someone has tomatoes on their eyes and thinks this game looks good and isn´t blurry, well..this just isn´t true.

here are also for sure people that can easily admit that the game looks not exactly dandy but they still have their fun with it which is perfectly fine to me because it is honest.

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
everyone can enjoy their game, i don´t try to argue that people are wrong for enjoying the game but when someone has tomatoes on their eyes and thinks this game looks good and isn´t blurry, well..this just isn´t true.

Yeah well, I don't have tomatoes in my eyes, and I don't think the game looks blurry. Looks totally fine on my 55 inch Vizio. I asked my girlfriend if she thought it looked blurry, and was told it looked fine. So I guess we're both just throwing tomatoes in each other's eyes.

Thanks for the petty insult though. I'm going to go back to enjoying myself now, while I throw cans of crushed tomatoes into my own face. :-)

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely feels like Doom open world, but the graphics are really average. And no minimap... arghh. The verticality and fast pacing are pleasing me so far. The game runs very smooth on PC, playing with 110 FOV feels even more faster lol

ZjwyJj9.jpg
T1pGPx3.jpg

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I've put about 20 hours into it now and it's definitely a slow burner, you start off weak and everything is just a bit boring, the tutorials feel like they never stop and yeah I just wasn't enjoying it, but it really has clicked for me now. I'm just doing everything while chatting on Discord with my mates, it's the type of game you can just zone out and play. Plus I just activated the Danny Dyer voicepack which is hilarious. I'd say it's creeping into 8/10 territory for me now.

Aussiebattler

Oct 27, 2017
Sydney
I normally don't like shotguns in games but fuck me this is the most fun I've ever had with one

Also disagree with all the graphics whinging, looks fine on my pro/4ktv. Obviously not the best looking game out there, but not all open world games are going to look as good as horizon zero dawn, rdr2 etc.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Searching for chests: the game.

Killing me with the 5-10 chests hidden around bases after I clear them. Hunting around for these things is driving me nuts lol

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I've put about 20 hours into it now and it's definitely a slow burner, you start off weak and everything is just a bit boring, the tutorials feel like they never stop and yeah I just wasn't enjoying it, but it really has clicked for me now. I'm just doing everything while chatting on Discord with my mates, it's the type of game you can just zone out and play. Plus I just activated the Danny Dyer voicepack which is hilarious. I'd say it's creeping into 8/10 territory for me now.
I dug it at the start, but I'm loving the combat even more now that I've unlocked a fair among of new weapons and upgrades.

This is definitely a great game for zoning out and listening to a podcast. Had the narrative and world design been up to the level of the gameplay, this might have some serious GoTY potential, but all those other aspects fell completely flat.

Like Mad Max, it's a very entertaining 3/5 experience

Killing me with the 5-10 chests hidden around bases after I clear them. Hunting around for these things is driving me nuts lol
If you haven't unlocked the ability that gives you a radar for finding cheats, get that one ASAP

They should have really allowed you to find chests using Focus though.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

The first thing you want to do is unlock the perks that show the location of tapes and containers, it will save you so much stress, later you can get a perk for Ark chests as well so there's no more sodding about getting frustrated.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
The first thing you want to do is unlock the perks that show the location of tapes and containers, it will save you so much stress, later you can get a perk for Ark chests as well so there's no more sodding about getting frustrated.

I see, thanks! Didn't realize it was a thing! Looks like its under projects for Search and Recovery. That is going to be a huge time saver.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I see, thanks! Didn't realize it was a thing! Looks like its under projects for Search and Recovery. That is going to be a huge time saver.

It's without a doubt the best points you can spend, the containers were really driving me mad but now it's a complete non issue. My advice to everyone would be to beeline to the 3 main quests and unlock all the trees and have a read of all the perks and decide what will reduce the annoying aspects of the game and start there.

Last edited:

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
It's without a doubt the best points you can spend, the containers were really driving me mad but now it's a complete non issue. My advice to everyone would be to beeline to the 3 main quests and unlock all the trees and have a read of all the perks and decide what will reduce the annoy aspects of the game and start there.

This is great advice.

Then, go ark hunting. Arks are not side content, they're main mission stuff. Find them by focusing and looking around for pillars of light.

Dec 14, 2017
Its so dark at night hows there no flashlight in this?
Agreed, makes storage container hunting even more insane. Also, what is going on with the driving controls on pc with m/kb? is there an option to turn off the auto centering? I can deal with the awkward sensitivity for moving the vehicles, but aiming or camera is just head-spinning and you're fighting the games insistence to always have the camera behind and facing forward of the vehicle. Otherwise, am enjoying it quite a lot, this is exactly the type of game I was looking to play right now.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rage 1 looks good from mid-long range but it is butt ugly up close. This game suffers that a bit too, but not nearly to that degree.

Megatextures suuuuuuuuuuck.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I'm digging the Metroidvania-styled progression with the ARKs that give you new powers when you find them.

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
I've mostly ignored main stories and have been Ark hunting by looking for the lights and man the combat blows other open world games aways and everytime you get a new ability it changes how you approach combat each time.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think i've seen this mentioned, but if you change the time of day in photo mode, it stays that time of day when you leave photo mode. So if you hate / love playing during a specific time of day, you can change it via photo mode.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to think that the fact that nothing ever attacks you while you are driving must be a bug.

I mean, why are there so many varieties of vehicle weapons when you never need to use them? It's just so weird.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I'm starting to think that the fact that nothing ever attacks you while you are driving must be a bug.

I mean, why are there so many varieties of vehicle weapons when you never need to use them? It's just so weird.

I'm waiting on patches to play more. I'd also wager they release a texture pack on pc eventually.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I think this game, like many from current gen, would have benefited immensely from a more linear approach to level design like Doom 2016. Being open world seems mandatory for big titles now, but in truth they mostly play the same (mission-wise). It's either towers or camps. Now imagine Rage 2 with the kind of level design you expect in Doom. Feels like a missed opportunity to me.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I think this game, like many from the current gen, would have benefited immensely from a more linear approach to level design like Doom 2016. Being an open world seems mandatory for big titles now, but in truth, they mostly play the same (mission-wise). It's either towers or camps. Now imagine Rage 2 with the kind of level design you expect in Doom. Feels like a missed opportunity to me.

Couldn't agree more, open world was a mistake.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Starting playing it on the PS4 today and probably about an hour or a little less into it.

I'm really hoping it's just due to being towards the start of the game, but all the talking and information boxes are annoying to me. The writing isn't particularly strong so far and neither is the voice acting. It reminds me of Sunset Overdrive in the sense of solid gameplay being undermined by bad humor and characterizations so far.

The gameplay is solid, but it's not quite as impressive to me as Rage 1 was when I first played it. But again, I'm pretty early in the game.